What's new

There is no future for an 'apartheid Israel'

Why are Pakistanis so emotionally invested in the Israel/Palestine conflict?

I perfectly understand Palestinian frustration. However, there's also a question of what to do today, how can Palestinians get the best deal for themselves now. Lamenting historical losses won't help at the moment--one must look forward. I think you'll agree that war probably won't get them what they want.

Personally, I think the best course would be for Gaza to try an become a mini-Singapore. Palestinians seem to be fairly well-educated, so it shouldn't be difficult, once the capital that flows into Gaza is used for business instead of weapons. That will improve the lives of Palestinians, get the attention of outside investors (and their politician allies), and perhaps even entice Israel to sign a deal with them. Then everyone can concentrate on solving the problem in the West Bank.

Gaza is easy compared to the West Bank, since Israel has no settlements there, and has exhibited no territorial ambitions there. It has a border with Egypt and access to the Mediterranean.

Every other idea has been tried, why not try mine?
Because they are our brothers and our leaders are impotent soon they would be replaced and Israel will soon face the wrath of whole Muslim world Israel needs to stop or soon it is going to become history INSHALLAH enough is enough of this terrorists state known as Israel

Muslim brothers.

I suppose, but of all the conflicts right now that affect Muslims, it just seems strange that Pakistanis seem particularly motivated when it comes to distant Israel/Palestine. No shared history, no shared culture, no shared borders, no previous alliances, and as far as I'm aware, no bilateral trade.

Why are Pakistanis so emotionally invested in the Israel/Palestine conflict?

I perfectly understand Palestinian frustration. However, there's also a question of what to do today, how can Palestinians get the best deal for themselves now. Lamenting historical losses won't help at the moment--one must look forward. I think you'll agree that war probably won't get them what they want.

Personally, I think the best course would be for Gaza to try an become a mini-Singapore. Palestinians seem to be fairly well-educated, so it shouldn't be difficult, once the capital that flows into Gaza is used for business instead of weapons. That will improve the lives of Palestinians, get the attention of outside investors (and their politician allies), and perhaps even entice Israel to sign a deal with them. Then everyone can concentrate on solving the problem in the West Bank.

Gaza is easy compared to the West Bank, since Israel has no settlements there, and has exhibited no territorial ambitions there. It has a border with Egypt and access to the Mediterranean.

Every other idea has been tried, why not try mine?

Well since it is a compromise, why don't the Israelis remove some of the illegal settlements? U.S. and other western powers are keen on it.

Makes much more sense and gives the Palestinians more living space too.

I suppose, but of all the conflicts right now that affect Muslims, it just seems strange that Pakistanis seem particularly motivated when it comes to distant Israel/Palestine. No shared history, no shared culture, no shared borders, no previous alliances, and as far as I'm aware, no bilateral trade.

Makes as much sense as the Indian posters here going in balls deep rooting for Israel.

Well since it is a compromise, why don't the Israelis remove some of the illegal settlements? U.S. and other western powers are keen on it.

I don't know, since I'm not Israeli, but I suspect it's because the precedent set when Israel removed its settlements from Gaza and got little in return. There's probably not enough trust there to try trading something tangible (settlements) for something intangible (quiet), especially when history suggests it won't work. That's my impression.

Makes as much sense as the Indian posters here going in balls deep rooting for Israel.

India and Israel have had growing trade and military relations for 20 years, so it makes a bit more sense on that end. That, and as @Contrarian has pointed out, very often when Pakistan supports something, India feels compelled to oppose it, or in this case, when Pakistan opposes Israel, India supports it.

The Ottoman Empire shattered into countless pieces. The United Arab Republic lasted only 3 years. Iraq is falling apart. Syria's destiny as a country is unclear.

What is your evidence that the Muslim world will achieve unity? History shows the fragmentation only growing.

Ottoman empire also lasted for 660 years. Political unity doesn't mean merging into a single nation. There are other more pragmatic ways of doing so.

But isn't the Two state solution based on the Pre-1967 borders though.

I am not keen on Palestinians giving up considerable land on West Bank.

I am not keen on Palestinians having their own borders in the existing frame work, but after Israeli settlers give up a lot of their settlements as well.

But you have to answer my question as well. Why would Israelis agree to be co-opted into a Palestinian state where they will be the numerical minority.

Jews are already paranoid about losing their identity through inter-marriage etc. Isn't in their interest then to keep the status quo?

The Israelis will only relent under severe International pressure like was applied on SOUTH AFRICA.

This pressure is more likely as the sole Israeli supporter, the US, loses its Economic and Military might or decides that Israel is not worth supporting because the cost of this support becomes too much.

Ottoman empire also lasted for 660 years. Political unity doesn't mean merging into a single nation. There are other more pragmatic ways of doing so.

OK. I admire your confidence, but I'll have to remain skeptical until a clear example of such unity appears.

Mr we share the most important thing for a Muslim Islam and our culture because of that is pretty much the same only some size and shape of clothes will differ but over all things would be the same and if Israel will not stop it would perish really very soon

There is something called Human Morality.

OK. I admire your confidence, but I'll have to remain skeptical until a clear example of such unity appears.

I did tell you, Muslim Brothers.

If you start looking at a lot of things in South Asia and the Middle East through the western glasses, tinted as it is by enlightenment principles, separation of church and state, enlightened self-preservation, selfishness and scientific thought based on enquiry and investigation, you won't get very far.

I did tell you, Muslim Brothers.

If you start looking at a lot of things in South Asia and the Middle East through the western glasses, tinted as it is by enlightenment principles, separation of church and state, enlightened self-preservation, selfishness and scientific thought based on enquiry and investigation, you won't get very far.

That's why I generally stay out of these kinds of threads. It's beyond my ability to comprehend, because it's emotion-based instead of interest-based. My mistake.

That's why I generally stay out of these kinds of threads. It's beyond my ability to comprehend, because it's emotion-based instead of interest-based. My mistake.

From an outsiders perspective it does look like we don't have interest in other fellow Muslim states. History proves that our trading relations go back by a 1000 years.

I don't remember that. I remember Arab rejection of the 1947 Partition Plan (so no Palestine), and then a war to set armistice lines. When Gaza and the West Bank were part of Egypt and Jordan, where was the call for an independent Palestine?

Palestinians rejected that for a reason which was because the partition plan allotted 56% of the land to the jews who made up at best 30% of the population at the time.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom