What's new

The Radical Drop in Pakistani women's fertility rate

Pakistanisage

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I recently saw a chart regarding the Fertility rate of Pakistani women and noticed something alarming. The fertility rate has been dropping drastically since year 2000. According to this chart, the fertility rate of Pakistani women has dropped from 4.56 in the year 2000 to 3.07 in 2012.

If this trend continues, it could affect the growth rates and the Economy of Pakistan.:cry:

Any thoughts ?

Pakistan - Total fertility rate - Historical Data Graphs per Year

In my opinion, it's a good thing. When there are fewer children, parents will be able to invest in their education with full force but I am not Pakistani so I don't completely understand the situation there.

In my opinion, it's a good thing. When there are fewer children, parents will be able to invest in their education with full force but I am not Pakistani so I don't completely understand the situation there.

Generally what you said is true but we would not like this trend to continue. If you look at the trend line, it is plunging rapidly. A fertility rate below 2 spells trouble in terms of growth rates. Also then you get in a situation where most of your Population are old people and that affects the economy of a country.

Generally what you said is true but we would not like this trend to continue. If you look at the trend line, it is plunging rapidly. A fertility rate below 2 spells trouble in terms of growth rates. Also then you get in a situation where most of your Population are old people and that affects the economy of a country.

How ignorant of you,As if your economy fares any better ever even when fertility rate is above 3.The drop in fertility rates often follows significant reductions in child and infant mortality rates, as well as an increase in average life expectancy.And what makes you think this will lower the economic growth rate??Look at China low fertility rate still one o the fastest Growing economy in the world.Its the demography that matters not the fertility rate.Pakistan has a favorable demography but if you want a demographic dividend you need a periodic decline in the fertility rate.This decline in the fertility initially leads to low youth dependency and a high ratio of working age to total population.And that is good for economy.

Yes it has been reduced but still remains one of the highest in the world at 3.07. We had crossed the 190 million mark a while ago and according to some experts we are now the fifth most populous country, overtaking Brazil.

Here is the evidence and data.

Pakistan: Where the Population Bomb is Exploding | Newgeography.com

Pakistan's landmass and resources can handle a population like this, but with inefficiency, massive corruption and lack of development more mouths to feed can be problematic. Of course we are one of the youngest populations on the planet and with the tens of millions of young folk we have this can bode well for massive economic growth, provided the points I talked about before are tackled.

There is nothing wrong with a decline in fertility rate. Nobody is saying that the rate will drop below 2. Even if it does, then that is what is happening all around us. This piece of land had less than 70 million inhabitants in 70s. Now we are nearing 200 million. Economy will adjust to whatever conditions exist.

Nothing to worry as drop in fertility rate doesn't mean women are becoming less fertile physically.

Ideal fertility rate should be in the region of 2.3 - 2.5. this gives the best growth of the population and the economic development.

Have any of you read the latest book inferno by Dan Brown. it explains the population explosion. some of the charts in that book are really disturbing

I recently saw a chart regarding the Fertility rate of Pakistani women and noticed something alarming. The fertility rate has been dropping drastically since year 2000. According to this chart, the fertility rate of Pakistani women has dropped from 4.56 in the year 2000 to 3.07 in 2012.

If this trend continues, it could affect the growth rates and the Economy of Pakistan.:cry:

Any thoughts ?

Pakistan - Total fertility rate - Historical Data Graphs per Year

Must i do all the heavy lifting i will do my best to increase the rate back up.:pissed:

Pakistan's landmass and resources can handle a population like this, but with inefficiency, massive corruption and lack of development more mouths to feed can be problematic. Of course we are one of the youngest populations on the planet and with the tens of millions of young folk we have this can bode well for massive economic growth, provided the points I talked about before are tackled.

I pointed out this long time back in a different way:

The two important cities of Japan were destroyed completely in 1945, and Japan was devastated industrially, they started from scratch.

Pakistan was created from scratch in 1947. Where are they now and where are we? Now the Population of Japan in 2011 is less by around 52 million compared to Pakistan's, this difference is not a big factor if you compare the size of Pakistan with that of Japan as Pakistan is almost more than twice the size of Japan.

As mentioned earlier the area of Japan is approximately less than half the area of Pakistan. They did not have any Aladdin's magical lamp that they rubbed and out came a genie and they asked for a prosperous country. No country has such lamp.

Natural calamities: we have floods and earthquakes not as often as the strong earthquakes that occur in Japan, not to mention tsunami, cyclone, hurricane that occur in Japan (being an island), they have adapted to the natural calamities by taking preventive measure. What are the preventive measure taken by our governments against just two natural calamities i.e. floods and earthquakes?

Below are statistics for Japan from Wikipedia:

Population
- 2011 estimate 127,960,000[5] (10th)
- 2010 census 128,056,026[6]
- Density 337.1/km2 (36th)
873.1/sq mi

GDP (PPP) 2011 estimate
- Total $4.396 trillion[7] (4th)
- Per capita $34,362[7] (25th)

GDP (nominal) 2011 estimate
- Total $5.855 trillion[7] (3rd)
- Per capita $45,774[7] (18th)

Area
- Total 377,944 km2 [4](62nd)
145,925 sq mi
- Water (%) 0.8

Can someone arrange an appointment with the politicians and show them this thread as sending a copy of the link of this thread is to no avail as they do not know how to use the Internet or computer.

------------

From Wikipedia today

Japan
Area
Total 377,944 km2 (62nd)
145,925 sq mi
Water (%) 0.8

Pakistan
Area
Total 796,095 km2[a] (36th)
307,374 sq mi
Water (%) 3.1

Japan
Population
2012 estimate 126,659,683 (10th)
2010 census 128,056,026
Density 337.1/km2 (36th)
873.1/sq mi

Pakistan
Population
2012 estimate 180,440,005 (6th)
Density 226.6/km2 (55th)
555/sq mi

Japan
GDP (PPP) 2013 estimate
Total $4.779 trillion (4th)
Per capita $37,525 (23rd)

GDP (nominal) 2013 estimate
Total $5.150 trillion (3rd)
Per capita $40,442 (14th)

Pakistan
GDP (PPP) 2012 estimate
Total $514.559 billion (27th)
Per capita $2,960

GDP (nominal) 2012 estimate
Total $230.525 billion (44th)
Per capita $1,410

@Pakistanisage @Cheetah786 : I think I will bite the bullet & take the plunge for the greater glory of Pakistan ! :pakistan:

My 4 wives....here I come; we've got a fertility rate to increase ! :cool:

ahahahahah :omghaha: Bangladesh's fertility rate also decreased now it is 2.7, a country needs 2.2 fertility rate to have stable population growth

Must i do all the heavy lifting i will do my best to increase the rate back up.:pissed:

May God bless your wife :P

Last edited by a moderator:
ahahahahah :omghaha: Bangladesh's fertility rate also decreased now it is 2.7, a country needs 2.2 fertility rate to have stable population growth

Sir I can't take a Bangladeshi wife - I'm allergic to fish ! :D

Yeh kaaam aaap ko khudii karnaa pareiii gaaa ! :omghaha:

Sir I can't take a Bangladeshi wife - I'm allergic to fish ! :D

Yeh kaaam aaap ko khudii karnaa pareiii gaaa ! :omghaha:

The fertility rate of the whole of Pakistan, today, is not less than 4.5.

It was nearly 6 in 2000. The source of these figures is my own research.

The UN figures are flawed in my opinion. And the population of the country is 220 million, with another 3 million who have migrated to the West permanently

Back
Top Bottom