What's new

The Quran learning made mandatory for university students in Punjab

Salaam

How is the Quran relevant to anyone's degree in engineering?

Because an engineer will also be a citizen. If you are a citizen in a country where so much is influenced by religion, it is better to know what that religion says.

I don't see anything wrong with this decision.

How is the Quran relevant to anyone's degree in engineering?

Great question. It's not really. I don't see the logic if this particular move. What about those who leave school at 16 and start working - don't they need further Quran studies?

I've long thought we need to re-address our approach to teaching of religion in our society, but this is just window dressing.

HEC doesn't have anything better to do? This should be in 1-10, not university. (I had mandatory Quran classes in Abu Dhabi).

Why 1 to 10 when Arabic is not the mother language or understood in the country?
Halaq se nechay kese utrenge wo lafz jo zabaan na aati ho?

What is the issue this will actually curb cultural taboos like honor killings and radicalization.

Will it though? Think about somewhere like LUMS, full of Pakistan hating "professors" - what Quran will they teach? It's students are mostly burgers who's parents are likely detached from religion; what interest are they going to take?

We need root and branch reform of Islamic studies at all age groups. Away from ratta, and danda molvis, towards the methods of esteemed centres of learning. University is not the place to start this - by that time our children have spent 13 years of thier live learning to pass exams, rather than learning. For them Quran studies is just another exam, a hurdle to overcome.

isn't its again constitution of Pakistan? constitution protects free will? forcing religion down the throat of people?

Why do you guys hate the STATE RELIGION of Pakistan? You are „agnostic“ ok, but we are Muslims. Please respect our religion and the Quran. Thank you.

Did I disrespect religion anywhere? I disrespected the fanatical behaviour of some extremists. And I have full right to do that. Religion is a personal matter. Forcing it on everybody is wrong. But that's the whole problem, you guys think religion is a public matter which is why we have such rampant extremism

Arabic sikhayain?

sikhane wali zaat Allah ki hai... insan nahi sikhata na seekh sakta jab tak Allah ka hukum na ho.

6 saal ke bache ko maal i ghanimat sikhane se acha usko pehle zabaan sikhao phir halaq se dil tak ka safar inshallah asaan hojaega

warna lagay raho chooma chaati karne with repetition like totay

isn't its again constitution of Pakistan? constitution protects free will? forcing religion down the throat of people?

did Musharaf take out chapters of Quran from the curriculum after lengthy debates in the senate and parliament?

phir cheekh nikalti hai na DABA DABAA jab khauf ghere leleta ha

Eyyub the highly super martial race leader wet his pants and said ek musalman 10 per hahahaha

abhi arahe hain Chinese and Indians... hum to Quran parha rahe hain... wo jo karwaenge wo hum dekh lenge

Mtlab Arabic nursery sa shuru karain? Kuch saal pehlay tak Arabic class 6 sa 8 tak parhatay compulsory subject ab ka pta nhi lekin kisi ko aati nhi ha. English ki trah shuru sa parhaingay to ajaye gi

3 languages bachon ko unki marzi se seekhna lazmi banana chaiye.

janaab agar deen mussalat kardia hai to aap usko chor den.. unregister yourself as Muslim.. khatam baat... akhir me khel to sab gaon me zameen ka hai

Carl Sagan: 'Man in his arrogance thinks himself a great work', Cosmos: A Personal Voyage (TV) - 1980

first aired 28 September 1980, PBS, USA

'See that star?”

"You mean that bright red one?” his daughter asks in return

"Yes, it might not be there anymore. It might be gone by now, exploded or something. Its light is still crossing space, just reaching our eyes now. But we don't see it as it is, we see it as it was.”

Many people experience a stirring sense of wonder when they first confront this simple truth. Why? why should it be so compelling. The immense distances to the stars and the galaxies means we see everything in the past. Some as they were before the earth came to be. Telescopes are time machines.

Long ago, when an early galaxy began to pour light out in to the surrounding darkness no witness could have known that billions of years later. Some remote clumps of rock and metal, ice and organic molecules would fall together to form a place that we call earth. And surely nobody could have imagined that life would arise, and thinking beings evolve who would one day capture a fraction of that light and would try to puzzle out what sent it on its way.

We can recognize here a shortcoming, in some circumstances serious, in our ability to understand the world. Characteristically, willie-nilly we seem compelled to project our own nature onto nature. Man in his arrogance thinks himself a great work worthy of the interposition of a deity. Darwin wrote in his notebook, more humble, and I think truer to consider himself created from animals.

We're johnny-come-latelys; we live in the cosmic boondocks; we emerged from microbes in muck; Apes are our cousins; our thoughts are not entirely our own, and on top of that we're making a mess of our planet and becoming a danger to ourselves.

The trapdoor beneath our feet swings open. We find ourselves in bottomless free fall. We are lost in a great darkness and there is nobody to send out a search party. Given so harsh a reality, of course we are inclined to shut our eyes and pretend that we are safe and snug at home, that the fall is only a bad dream. If it takes a little myth and ritual to get us through a night that seems endless, who among us cannot sympathize and understand?

We long to be here for a purpose. Even though, despite much self-deception, none is evident. The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for parents to care for us, to forgive us of our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge of preferable to ignorance. Better, by far, to embrace the harsh reality than a reassuring fable.

Modern science has been a voyage into the unknown, with a lesson in humility waiting at every stop. Our common sense intuitions can be mistaken. Our preferences don't count. We do not live in a privileged reference frame. If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal.

Personally I don't agree with this decision. The more you force religion onto people the more they run from it.

Instead what would have been better is that kids are taught Islamiat throughout their school life, why not include Quran translation as a subset of Islamiat. There are 30 paras in Quran say starting from class 6 students do 5 paras each year and they learn in-depth about them. They would be done with the whole Quran by class 10.

Making this subject compulsory in uni will only make people take it as another hurdle before graduation and the intention of socially reforming the society would be lost.

My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom