What's new

The PAF is set to receive a batch of Egyptian Air Force Mirage-Vs

Wise decision considering that Dassault has stopped production of their spare and we are biggest operator of IIIs and Vs left in the world. Replacement is going to take some time. PAF is investing not only money on Block-III but time as well. So far we have planned to induct 63 Block-III only. In such circumstances, we need our Deltas to be operational. PAC know this plane inside out and that's a very valuable thing. With integration of strike elements through ROSE program, platform still holds some promise to deliver provided if used tactfully which is exactly what PAF achieved on Feb. 27. Rembmer, no aircraft alone fight in combat. It is combination of different systems working in synergy within the battlefield which produced the results. This deal is just to keep the platform flying carrying H2/H4 like smart weapons. PAF knows better when to put these on front lines to ensure a successful hit against enemy targets while remaining away from harm. So, take a chill pill. These are not being acquired to form our front line squadrons.

Very good decision in this time when War is at your door step . Remember the Mirage III/5 is the PAF’s sole delivery platform for key stand-off weapons (SOW), namely the H-2 and H-4 glide-bombs (which are derived from the Denel Dynamics Raptor I and Raptor II , ranges of 60 km and 120 km, respectively) and Ra’ad I and Ra’ad II air launched cruise missiles (ALCM), which have ranges of 350 km and 550 km, respectively. The Mirage 5PA3 can also carry the MBDA AM39 Exocet anti-ship missile (AShM). Mirage 5PA3 was the PAF’s only AShW asset as it still operates from the PAF Air Bases as well as in time of war can operates from other sites(roads motorway etc) as Tactical Attack Wing.

is that deal is done or still in paper?

Both parties were in talks for a couple of years and now it has been sealed/done. We can expect these birds in upcoming months in PAF colours.

what about the higher rate of crashes that will come with it? We cannot loose our precious pilots.

The issue will be resolved having good spares in store.

People are reading too much into this news ... Mirage III/5 aren't going anywhere in near future ... not atleast until 2025

so we need some more for replacing those who fall or to be cannibalized, yes not the best things .. but you gotta do what you gotta do !

During 1967, Pakistan opted to purchase an initial batch of 18 Mirage IIIEPs, 3 Mirage IIIDPs and 3 Mirage IIIRPs from France. Over the course of time, the PAF)inducted large numbers of new and second hand Mirages IIIs and Mirage 5s spanning multiple variants. During 1977, an additional 10 new Mirage IIIRPs were delivered.

In 1991, because French production of the Mirage III and most spare parts had ceased, Pakistan acquired 50 Australian-built Mirages, which had been retired by the Royal Australian Air Force in 1988.

A further five incomplete aircraft were also obtained from the RAAF for cannibalized spare parts.

Eight of the ex-RAAF Mirages entered service with the PAF immediately, while another 33 were upgraded under ROSE I

Ten Lebanese Air Force aircraft were purchased in 2000 and in 2003 13 Mirage IIIEEs were obtained from the Spanish Air Force in the form of 13 Mirage IIIEEs for cannibalized spare parts

The PAF then procured surplus Mirage 5F fighters in the late 1990s from the French Air Force in two batches. Around 20 fighters from the first batch were upgraded (ROSE II)

Additionally, there were 14 Mirage 5F fighters from the second batch that were upgraded similarly but with newer systems and designated ROSE III.

so an Aircraft is better than NO Aircraft ... I hope we replace these ASAP, but it is better to have them properly maintained by the time they are in the arsenal rather thn slaughtering Black sheep everytime they fly.

Why not place order for valeryn steel and Dragon glass as well to fight the white walkers and the Night king??

On a serious note these 36 Mirages will spare the JF17's 7 weapon station from ground munition duties. After induction of these horus Mirages, each JF17 would have the luxury to carry 6 A2A missile, 2 PL10, 2 SD-10s, 2 PL15s and a ECM jamming pod in the center.

New RC400 radar, Mission pods, HMD, MAWS and Night Strike.

Last edited:
To keep the strike force flying since we don’t have a strike replacement jet coming.
I suspect they'll gradually shift the conventional SOW stuff over to the JF-17 and lower the stress on the Mirages by honing it for strategic ops only. In this sense, a sale to Azerbaijan would be a big deal as that would mean getting a third-party to help foot the bill of integrating marquee SOWs, like the SOM ALCM and HGK, to the JF-17 so that gets a very strong conventional strike capability.

Roles differ.

Mirages specialize in strike. F-7P's are point defense or air superiority.
Yeah I know but F-7 are almost dead, they would only end up falling from the sky while mirages are old but still okay for the next few years,I am trying to say replace F-7 squadrons fast before more crashes.

I suspect they'll gradually shift the conventional SOW stuff over to the JF-17 and lower the stress on the Mirages by honing it for strategic ops only. In this sense, a sale to Azerbaijan would be a big deal as that would mean getting a third-party to help foot the bill of integrating marquee SOWs, like the SOM ALCM and HGK, to the JF-17 so that gets a very strong conventional strike capability.
Our greatest detriment has, is and will for the foreseeable future - funds.

Back
Top Bottom