What's new

The Ottomans are back! (and so are the Safavids...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surenas

Reaction score
By Burak Bekdi̇l

Which countries and geographies in the world the Turks do not share a common past or future with is becoming an ever bigger mystery.

Last year, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu spoke of “a common history and a common future that Turkey and Egypt share.” In his earlier speeches, Professor Davutoğlu had spoken of “a very long, common history shared by Turkey and Iran.” Mr. Davutoğlu had also asserted that “a common destiny, a common history and a common future” were the slogan of Turkey and Syria. In other remarks, Mr. Davutoğlu had spoken of “a common history, a common destiny and a common future, as well as cooperation, between Turkey and Greece,” and “a common history and a common future” with the Balkans and Benghazi.

Judging from where relations between Turkey and all those lands with which it has a common past and a common future stand, it may be a bad omen that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan told the Old Continent in a recent speech in Germany: “We wholeheartedly believe that Turkey and the EU share a common future.”

All that boringly repetitive rhetoric reflects a powerful desire to build a new world order in which: a) Turkey is not only a regional superpower but also has a seat and vote in a restructured United Nations Security Council; b) It also rules former Ottoman territories not by the force of sword this time but by “softer” (not necessarily soft) power; c) It influences both regional and global politics by a bizarre blend of pragmatism and the supremacy of Turkish Sunni Islam.

It was not a coincidence that Prime Minister Erdoğan recently reiterated Turkey’s wish (earlier expressed by Mr. Davutoğlu) that the U.N. Security Council be reformed to better address international crises like the Syrian civil war. In his language, the word “better” obviously refers to a situation in which Turkey has equal powers with today’s quintet of permanent members.

As prominent columnist Robert Ellis has reminded, in a speech in Sarajevo in October 2009, Mr. Davutoğlu explained: “As in the 16th Century, when the Ottoman Balkans were rising, we will once again make the Balkans, the Caucasus and the Middle East, together with Turkey, the centre of world politics in the future. That is the goal of Turkish foreign policy and we will achieve it.” In an April 2012 speech, he was even more specific. “On the historic march of our holy nation, the AK Party signals the birth of a global power and the mission for a new world order. This is the centenary of our exit from the Middle East … whatever we lost between 1911 and 1923, whatever lands we withdrew from, from 2011 to 2023 we shall once again meet our brothers in those lands. This is a bounden historic mission.”

Apparently, the more Mr. Davutoğlu’s dreams of a new world order hit the walls of regional and global realities, the more he (and the prime minister) gets nervous. Every new day that reminds him that Turkey may in fact be much less powerful than he believes or hopes, he blames failures on the “old world order.” Hence, there is an urgent need for a new one.

It may be a newfound feel-good psychology for Turkish statesmen who seek comfort in reversing the world order only in words, such as: “Ha ha! If the EU needs money we can lend some.” But these are the facts: Turkey is a candidate country for EU membership, not the EU for Turkish membership; Turkey’s per capita income is still less than a third of the EU average; Muslim immigrants arrive in Turkey only to slip into EU territory; Turkey is a net buyer of arms and technology from the EU, not vice versa.

The Ottomans may be back, and there are no signs of Inquisitors or Crusaders making a comeback. But the jihadists and Safavids are also back. Messrs Erdoğan and Davutoğlu, you better watch out for the next Persian gambit.

BURAK BEKD

This century it's all about the fight for influence between Iran and Turkey. You can see that fight for influence in many countries in the Middle East and Africa; Iraq, Syria, Gaza, Sudan, Somalia, etc. It's interesting to see which party will win eventually.

I didn't read because this bastard is working for imperialists.

Ähm sry but this is my Way :

turkiye_cumhuriyeti.jpg

Please lets not label everyone as propagandists working for Israel..I think he is merely trying to point out that Turkey needs to work much harder to achieve such ambitious goals and he is damn right about it..Imho, if half of our population would be as hard working as Germans, Turkey would be in a much better position right now

Please lets not label everyone as propagandists working for Israel..I think he is merely trying to point out that Turkey needs to work much harder to achieve such ambitious goals and he is damn right about it..Imho, if half of our population would be as hard working as Germans, Turkey would be in a much better position right now

Thank you for staying ontopic and don't fall into historical debates or race questions. Why do you think Turkey's foreign policy should be?

@Surenas what up with the Pakistani flag? lol

On topic foolish premise for an article. These last couple of decades have been all about GCC vs Persian influence, the Turks unfortunately have to fiddle for third place if they want something in the middle east.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consulate General of Pakistan New York

^^Check this out if you are curious (NICOP). I just looked it up, since you were born in Pakistan you are already a Pakistani citizen and can ask for a passport if you want. I would ask for one just so I can have different color passports. :D

Well, that's quite nice and helpful if I ever want to visit Pakistan. :D When do you go apply for an Pakistani passport?

Most likely Pakistani you would just have to show birth certificate but I am not sure I only have US passport (having been born here). You can always do what I did and apply for NICOP, that way you can visit Pakistan without applying for a visa. I heard Iranian passport harder to come by and you won't even be given one even if you are born in Iran unless you really are Iranian. I think you were the one who told me that. lol

In order to become an Iranian citizen your father must be Iranian, but you don't have to be born in Iran. It's also non-voluntary. If you're born in say, Canada, and your father is Iranian and you all decide to go to Iran with the Canadian passport, your Canadian passports will sometimes even be taken away as Iran does not have the dual citizenship law. Even if you don't want to be a citizen you're considered an Iranian citizen since your father is Iranian!!

Many Afghans who have been living in Iran for decades and have been born in Iran still aren't citizens while one of my cousins who was born here and went back for a month to Iran for a visit is considered a citizen! lol Iranian citizenship laws are a bit weird, but they've been in place for a long time.

Iranian nationality law contains principles of both jus sanguinis and jus soli. Children acquire nationality of Iran through their fathers, but not their mothers. The full nationality law is defined in Book 2 of the Civil Code of Iran, Articles 976 through 991

In order to become an Iranian citizen your father must be Iranian, but you don't have to be born in Iran. It's also non-voluntary. If you're born in say, Canada, and your father is Iranian and you all decide to go to Iran with the Canadian passport, your Canadian passports will sometimes even be taken away as Iran does not have the dual citizenship law. Even if you don't want to be a citizen you're considered an Iranian citizen since your father is Iranian!!

Many Afghans who have been living in Iran for decades and have been born in Iran still aren't citizens while one of my cousins who was born here and went back for a month to Iran for a visit is considered a citizen! lol Iranian citizenship laws are a bit weird, but they've been in place for a long time.

But I'm not in Iran's system, so they won't know if my father is Iranian or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom