What's new

The IPL thread

Who is going to win IPL 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
what a match between the Kings 11 and super kings. I feel sad for the Super King's, they should have won easily but well done to Kings 11, they really needed this win.

2 new IPL teams cost more than first 8 squads together, News, Cricket, Sports, Times of India

CHENNAI/MUMBAI: Barely two years ago, when Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries Ltd made the highest bid for an Indian Premier League franchise (Rs 441 crore for Mumbai), many termed it as a gamble on a risky concept.

The IPL sure has come a long way in a short time, with the Sahara group on Sunday bidding Rs 1,702 crore :woot: for Pune and Rendezvous Sports World forking out Rs 1,533 crore :woot: for Kochi.

In fact, these two bids, worth a total of about Rs 3,235 crore, add up to more than the Rs 2,853 crore collectively paid by the existing eight franchise owners in the first auction, on January 24, 2008.

The IPL is invariably full of surprises and Sunday was no different. Favourites Adani Group and VC Digital (Videocon Group) were pipped by Sahara and a consortium of real estate players and businessmen brought together by Union minister Shashi Tharoor under the banner of Rendezvous Sports.

The two new teams will become part of IPL in the 2011 edition. The franchises will be valid for 10 years.

The bidding, conducted behind closed doors, lasted less than an hour after the contenders trooped into a hotel in Chennai.

The base price for each team was $225 million, more than four times the rate at which the first IPL auction began in 2008.

IPL commissioner Lalit Modi said five eligible bids were received in all, which included Rendezvous Sports, Sahara, Aman Vohra, Adani and VC Digital. There was a dash of glamour with Salman Khan and Saif Ali Khan dropping in to represent some groups.

Sahara topped with a $370-million (Rs 1,702 crore) bid for a clutch of cities which included Ahmedabad, Nagpur or Pune. Eventually, the Subrata Roy-controlled group opted for Pune.

Somebody give this kid, Parthiv Patel, high protein food. He can not even clear the boundary.:angry:

So what do you think the new teams would be called? As long as it doesn't have anything to do with 'King' or 'Royal', I will be happy. Too many 'Kings and 'Royals' in current IPL: Kings XI Punjab, Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals, Royal Challengers Bangalore....gimme a break.

Also, I'm tired of everyone being in a blue or can-be-mistaken-for-blue uniform. Mumbai, Delhi, Rajasthan, Deccan and even Kolkata are all in some sort of blue uniform now.

So, just for fun, why don't we suggest a name and uniform design for the new teams?

I'll start:

Kochi - Cochin Conquerors; green (to symbloize ever-green kerala) uniform with yellow. Something like the South African one day outfit.

Pune - The Pune Masters; maybe a wine red uniform with some yellow r white.

suggestions welcome!

IPL brand value doubles to $4.13 billion: Study

NEW DELHI: Quickfire cricket format Indian Premier League's brand value has more than doubled to $4.13 billion (over Rs 18,000 crore), while 'Chennai Super Kings' has emerged the most valued franchise this year, says a study.

Ranked fourth last year, Chennai Super Kings led by MS Dhoni has moved to number one with a valuation of $48.4 million, followed by Shahrukh Khan-owned Kolkata Knight Riders ($46 million) and Shilpa Shetty's Rajasthan Royals ($45.2 million).

The valuation of teams pale in comparison to the IPL brand itself, which has more than doubled from last year's $2.01 billion.

"The IPL brand alone has risen significantly from the previous year's valuation providing tremendous economic value to its owner BCCI," according to brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance.

"In comparison to international benchmarks for sporting business' such as EPL (English Premier League) which is valued at $12 billion, the IPL juggernaut, in a short span of 3 years, is valued at $4 billion and has the potential to grow further," said Unni Krishnan, Managing Director of Brand Finance India.

"A huge amount of Intellectual property is being created by the complete IPL ecosystem which was sustained despite last year's difficult economic conditions. This demonstrates the exponential value of IPL and the Brand potential in a cricket loving country like India and other global cricketing countries," Brand Finance said in a release.

The individual franchisees have also seen a fair amount of uplift in value since last year.

Vijay Mallya-promoted Royal Challengers Bangalore is ranked fourth this year with a valuation of $41.9 million and is followed by Nita Ambani-owned Mumbai Indians ($40.8 million), Delhi Daredevils ($40.5 million), Kings XI Punjab ($36.1 million) and Hyderabad Deccan Chargers at the bottom with a valuation of $34.4 million.

PS: Thanks Mods for making this a sticky thread.

IPL will do billion dollar business this year: Modi :D

Indian Premier League would generate a revenue of USD one billion this season, thanks to huge fan following across the globe, attracting a large number of advertisers, its Commissioner Lalit Modi said on Monday.

"The tournament is still on and we have not reached the final number... Yes, it will be more than a billion dollar (about Rs 4,700 crore) this season ... last season we did USD 450 million dollar.

"Thereafter, we would double every year," Modi told PTI and asserted that as long as the fans keep coming to IPL, the league's brand value would increase and hence the revenue.

Revenue for Sony, the official broadcaster, alone would be about Rs 700 crore to Rs 800 crore, he said brushing aside the criticism that the advertising rates for the IPL's third season were very high.

"There may be some advertisers who feel that way but there are lot many others who are willing to join us," he said pointing out that the huge success of the tournament in terms of TV viewership would certainly entice the advertisers.

"There is no other sporting event across the world generating more eyeballs than the IPL," he said, adding that the league was virtually in every part of the world through either broadcasters of through the Internet - via YouTube.

Asked about an independent brand consultancy valuing Brand IPL at at USD 4.13 billion, more than double from last year, Modi said that it was not done by the organisation and "it is indeed valuation given to us by outsiders."

In terms of brand value or valuation there could be bigger sports club in the West but most of those have negative cash flow, Modi said and pointed out that the English Premier League, though it commands a very high brand value, was facing a USD 800 million deficit.

"Here, we are talking about cash flow and it is growing to grow in future at IPL," he said, while detailing the dynamics of financing of IPL franchises.

Modi said that the IPL teams had no load on them and "we are providing infrastructure and stadium free of cost."

Asked about predictions that IPL could not sustain, Modi retorted: "Let them (cynics) say anything. I know the numbers. I know the game. I have delivered. We will continue to deliver.";)

The success of IPL hinged on the capacity to draw huge crowds, a fact that need not be proven again and again, he said, adding that other factors included that teams were equally placed in terms of finances and capacity to buy the players.

"The level playing field between the teams would make the event more interesting," he said and added that another factor for the success was that the revenue would be proportionate to the number of matches that are played.

This season there are 60 matches and the number would go to 90 by next year and, therefore, the revenue would increase on a pro-rata basis, he said.
CRICKETNDTV.com: IPL will do billion dollar business this year: Modi

Kochi tuskers and green white combo or green black combo. Panchavadyam should replace the regular dj's.

As earlier said no blue please and no royal and King.

Ofcourse !!! Till then I am with Mumbai Indians.

Ya, Mumbai Indians is going good this time. But I dont think it was a good idea of having a new team which is representing a city of a state which already has a representation. The support base will get divided. What do you think? I think Sahara should have represented Ahmedabad instead.:bounce:

Ya, Mumbai Indians is going good this time. But I dont think it was a good idea of having a new team which is representing a city of a state which already has a representation. The support base will get divided. What do you think? I think Sahara should have represented Ahmedabad instead.:bounce:

True, But its purely business decision by Sahara there were many business groups lined up for Pune like Videocon etc but Sahara beat them all.

Back
Top Bottom