What's new

Effects of Indian media on Bangladeshi culture

try to utilize your brain a little more than randomly assigning people with the term "jamati". as far as i'm concerned jamat is praying in congregation. so a jamati is someone who takes part. by going against that itself it shows where you stand.

there is no dearth of discussion and sources on this forum. that includes some of the sticky threads. you are still suffering from having orientation on only an Indian version of your history. time for you to get multiple narratives and get your own version

as far as your "punishing" goes, it is clear fascism that has no place in any civilized society with rule of law. the "punishing" is an ideological effort against the establishment of two Muslim regions in 1947 and it is only about a sadist desire to persecute anyone who endorse the TN theory to safeguard the Muslim minority of then British India. this "punishing" is directed against people who are guilty according to the sadist anti-TN theory ideology, and there is no place for due process of law in this.

speak any language you like. but if you want to claim a language to be your own, at least make sure it's your own
Musalmani Bangla and its transformation

You are very well aware what I am referring to when I say Jamaati, I am talking about the illegal murderous Jamaat-e-Islami party. The only islamic party in Bangladesh that I have a problem with.

As for you indian version nonsense, no I'm going by the Bengali version of what my relatives and 70 million people went through. It's laughable because what you are spouting is not only the Pakistani version, but also pure fairy tales (very ironic). As almost the entirety of that version has no premise inn truth or fact. I do not support India as it's a separate entity, where Hindi is the dominant language for them. Good for Pakistan and India, may they prosper ...away from me.

What you are spouting is also the Zionist version of events, as America, Britain and Israel were very much in support of Pakistan and as they are the dominant controllers of history today are encouraging people like you to cover up the genocide carried out. Thousands of bodies were pulled out from a single river in Khulna and by the way there is a dearth of info on the war as America, Israel and Pakistan have worked to crush that information.

I get it, India has abused Bangladesh etc the past 40 years, but using that to then erase the Pakistani genocide won't work. I'm not even saying hate Pakistan. I want Pakistanis to prosper iA, but what you propose to cover up history is disrespectful and dangerous and in effect allowing the Arab Muslims to engage in ethnic cleansing of Black Darfuri Muslims in Sudan. I'm really bored of this cultural supremacy that some Muslims spout.

Finally, with you fascism stuff etc, I really did not get that, I found that so odd. I was saying may Allah punish war criminals and rapists etc, where on earth did you get from that, that I'm saying capture and kill them. I'm saying even if there is no justice in this world, Allah will punish etc after. However, on that point, your misunderstanding intrigued me: the death penalty is allowed in Islam for murderers etc, so even if I was espousing for these criminals to be tried, killed etc by people, wouldn't it be following Islamic law? But you call that fascism, okay......

As for Mussalmani Bangla and the Sadhu Bhasha of the 19th century, I'm not fond of either and I don't need either.
One has some random amount of excessive Persian, Turkic words etc and the other has a huge amount of Sanskrit words that makes it unintelligible.

The Cholito-Bhasha that was developed around the 20th century is better because it's here plus it's more native, although I wish we could replace more of the Sanskrit rods with native Bangla words but that needs research. As for the whole Persian, Turkic words etc, I don't really care, we don't need more in the language to prove it's Islamic, I think that's a hangup Urdu had, we don't have it. We're confident that Allah will not send us to Jannah if you have some random Middle Eastern words in your language. I'd rather invest my energy into learning Arabic, Tajweed etc.

You are very well aware what I am referring to when I say Jamaati, I am talking about the illegal murderous Jamaat-e-Islami party. The only islamic party in Bangladesh that I have a problem with.

As for you indian version nonsense, no I'm going by the Bengali version of what my relatives and 70 million people went through. It's laughable because what you are spouting is not only the Pakistani version, but also pure fairy tales (very ironic). As almost the entirety of that version has no premise inn truth or fact. I do not support India as it's a separate entity, where Hindi is the dominant language for them. Good for Pakistan and India, may they prosper ...away from me.

What you are spouting is also the Zionist version of events, as America, Britain and Israel were very much in support of Pakistan and as they are the dominant controllers of history today are encouraging people like you to cover up the genocide carried out. Thousands of bodies were pulled out from a single river in Khulna and by the way there is a dearth of info on the war as America, Israel and Pakistan have worked to crush that information.

I get it, India has abused Bangladesh etc the past 40 years, but using that to then erase the Pakistani genocide won't work. I'm not even saying hate Pakistan. I want Pakistanis to prosper iA, but what you propose to cover up history is disrespectful and dangerous and in effect allowing the Arab Muslims to engage in ethnic cleansing of Black Darfuri Muslims in Sudan. I'm really bored of this cultural supremacy that some Muslims spout.

Finally, with you fascism stuff etc, I really did not get that, I found that so odd. I was saying may Allah punish war criminals and rapists etc, where on earth did you get from that, that I'm saying capture and kill them. I'm saying even if there is no justice in this world, Allah will punish etc after. However, on that point, your misunderstanding intrigued me: the death penalty is allowed in Islam for murderers etc, so even if I was espousing for these criminals to be tried, killed etc by people, wouldn't it be following Islamic law? But you call that fascism, okay......

As for Mussalmani Bangla and the Sadhu Bhasha of the 19th century, I'm not fond of either and I don't need either.
One has some random amount of excessive Persian, Turkic words etc and the other has a huge amount of Sanskrit words that makes it unintelligible.

The Cholito-Bhasha that was developed around the 20th century is better because it's here plus it's more native, although I wish we could replace more of the Sanskrit rods with native Bangla words but that needs research. As for the whole Persian, Turkic words etc, I don't really care, we don't need more in the language to prove it's Islamic, I think that's a hangup Urdu had, we don't have it. We're confident that Allah will not send us to Jannah if you have some random Middle Eastern words in your language. I'd rather invest my energy into learning Arabic, Tajweed etc.
so by your logic, anyone supported by the US is bad. so when they were supporting United Pakistan, they were behind YOUR country. by your logic, if US gives any support, then as if hating your own country and supporting its annexation by enemy becomes farx. and its well known why the US was behind United Pak, which was allied to China during that time.

India has not abused BD only in the last 40 years. they have been doing so for 67 years. and your type of people are only ones in the entire world who don't understand what it means to have one's enemy under its control - like India had EP or Bangladesh under it. JeI is the oldest major party in the country and it was principled enough to not support an enemy-sponsored war, despite JeI's frictions with the United Pak government. India simply is home to forces that were against the progress of Muslims, most importantly the descendants of Hindu overlords who suppressed Muslims of Bengal-Bihar-Orissa for close to two centuries. and the Bengali literature is a result of that Hindu domination. if *a* language of Muslim Bengali is concerned, Farsi, Urdu and Muslim version of Bengali all can be considered that. and when presenting yourself as one of BD background and when you are using "we", try to include all languages and linguistic communities that are part of BD including the Urdu language that has been a part of Bengal for long, and the Urdu-practicing people as well. if you don't appreciate the diversity in the history and society of BD, and looking for a ethno-linguistic utopia, a neighboring country and its right wing political parties are there with open arms

even some senior BAL people admit the hoax of "3 million dead". but you are confident confident you will be sent to Jannah by adopting the culture and literature imposed by Hindu zamindars, denying the empires and civilizations that culminated into the Muslim populations of the subcontinent, and denying loss of certain lives because of a sadist ethnocentric attitude towards none other than own brethren

such pathetic and immature thread.

i have a japanese cellphone(technically a chinese as made in china)
i have chinese earphones and american ones(pretty costly)
my dad has 3 south korean cars
i haven't seen a hindi movie in 6 months now
i watch american shows and movies

does that make me any less indian??

such a stupid and moronic thread

Heart throb

Heart throb
t2 IS HOOKED TO ZINDAGI GULZAR HAI. HERE’S WHAT MAKES THE PAKISTANI TV SERIES A MUST-WATCH
zindagi.jpg

Over the last 10 days, at 11pm every night, I have a date with Zaroon and Kashaf. Through my TV.

Will sparks fly between Kashaf and Zaroon? Will the two realise that beneath the friction and fights, there exists a strong underlying attraction? Will they bury their differences and get together for what promises to be a tempestuous yet touching love story?

Yes, I am hooked to Zindagi Gulzar Hai, the flagship show on Zee Zindagi, the new channel on the block that just airs Pakistani content .

Alpha Bravo Charlie to Kankar, for years I have heard friends and family talk about how engaging Pakistani serials are. When it played on television sets in Pakistan in 2012, many YouTube links of Zindagi Gulzar Hai made its way to my Facebook and Twitter feed. Then a week ago, I reached for my remote to catch the first episode on Zee Zindagi, just to see what the fuss was about. I haven’t missed a single episode since.

Here’s why Zindagi Gulzar Hai scores bigger than what is playing on our screens right now…

tweet.jpg
THE PLOT: Pride and Prejudice-meets-Mills & Boon

From its very first frame, Zindagi Gulzar Hai plays out from the point of view of Kashaf Murtaza, an independent and headstrong young woman from a lower-middle-class background, whose family — comprising her mother and two younger sisters — has been abandoned by her father because he wanted a son. Kashaf helplessly watches her mother scrape together a living as the principal of a government school, with the Murtazas hardly able to afford the bare necessities of life. As a result, Kashaf finds herself questioning the existence of God and growing increasingly resentful of the privileged. In tone and temperament, Kashaf is very much a modern-day Elizabeth Bennet, the most mature voice within the family and its decision-maker. When she gets admitted into one of the country’s top universities, Kashaf looks at it as a stepping stone to a better life for her and her family.

At university, she meets her Darcy: Zaroon Junaid, the most popular guy on campus, whose good looks and charming personality act as an instant girl magnet. For Kashaf, Zaroon is a privileged brat who hasn’t had to struggle a day. Zaroon, a topper in school and college till Kashaf comes in, can’t tolerate her habit of calling a spade a spade, his ego hurt by the fact that she doesn’t really warm up to him. The resentment between the two is manifested through heated debates in the classroom, where Kashaf openly taunts Zaroon’s privileged upbringing. But even as they argue, they look out for each other — library to canteen, Zaroon’s eyes search for Kashaf; even as she pores over her class notes in the college lawns, Kashaf steals glances at Zaroon playing his guitar and serenading his many female fans.

But, the two, seeming so different, are bound together by a fractured personal life: Kashaf and her family are forced to abandon their ancestral home after she refuses to marry her cousin; Zaroon’s socialite mother is too busy with her numerous parties to really pay attention to her family. And then there is Zaroon’s classmate Asmara who he’s been dating for years, but isn’t sure if she’s the one for him. The twist in the tale this week? Zaroon has got engaged to Ashmara under family pressure, but on one condition: he won’t get married in the next two years.

Though the plot is regular and the twists pedestrian, Zindagi Gulzar Hai works because everyone loves a love story. You enjoy the constant fights between Zaroon and Kashaf and yet root for the two to come together. Plus, the socio-economic background of a Pakistani family and the culture of a country not very different from ours makes for interesting viewing.

fan.jpg
THE PLAYERS: Flawed yet endearing

Zaroon (played by Fawad Afzal Khan) is the reason forZindagi Gulzar Hai’s ever-swelling female viewership. Handsome and with an arresting screen presence, Fawad makes Zaroon a curious and irresistible combination of the modern young Pakistani with a global world view, who, however, is often myopic enough to demand that his girl dress “according to tradition” and that she not attend late-night parties. When he meets his match in Kashaf, Zaroon finds many of his chauvinistic thoughts crumbling, a fact that makes him uncomfortable. And fret not girls: Fawad, who we first saw in the breakthrough Pakistani film Khuda Kay Liye and is currently Pakistan’s highest-paid actor, will remain with us even beyond the show — the looker with the killer smile stars opposite Sonam Kapoor in the remake of Khoobsurat and has just signed a Yash Raj film.

Acting as the perfect foil to Fawad’s Zaroon is Sanam Saeed who plays Kashaf. Looking like a younger version of Hina Rabbani Khar, Sanam brings Kashaf alive: the emancipated and educated young Pakistani, who, however, has to contend with the prejudices that still plague the society she lives in: chauvinism to discrimination against women. Kashaf is real enough to be flawed: more often than not, she exasperates the viewer with her cold and unreasonable behaviour towards Zaroon.

The side players, each well cast, contribute to making Zindagi Gulzar Hai an interesting watch, the most impactful being Mehreen Raheel as Asmara and Javed Shaikh — who played Shah Rukh Khan’s dad in Om Shanti Om — as Zaroon’s liberal dad Junaid.

What works best about Zindagi Gulzar Hai: It airs everyday, Monday to Sunday. Also, just 26 episodes at its disposal means that every episode packs in enough drama, action and romance to make you look forward to the next day.

Case in point: at last count, Balika Vadhu was touching 1,700 episodes!

Aunn Zara

A marital drama with a difference, Aunn Zara is about Aunn and Zara, a couple poles apart but looking to find a common meeting ground in their marriage — mostly with hilarious results. Osman Khalid Butt, who plays Aunn, is quite a hottie!

Kitni Girhain Baqi Hain

A series of 90-minute films, most of which are love stories, Kitni Girhain Baqi Hain deals with the trials and tribulations that accompany romance and touches upon serious issues like honour killing.

tv.jpg

‘Brilliant’ Pakistani serials gaining popularity in Kashmir | Kashmir Reader

‘Brilliant’ Pakistani serials gaining popularity in Kashmir

Iqbal Kirmani
SRINAGAR: Even though there is barrage of Indian soap operas aired on satellite channels, Pakistani serials are once again gaining popularity among Kashmiris particularly youngsters
The enthusiasm among youth has got a new boost after Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (Zeel), the Indian TV giant, began to showcase Pakistani dramas on its channel Zindagi TV from June 23.
These Pakistani dramas have generated huge response. For instance, the Facebook fan page of one of the serials ‘Zindagi Gulzar Hai’ asked how many Indians fans are watching the show. In minutes it generated a huge response of 71,763 ‘likes’ from the Indian fans.
‘Zindagi Gulzar Hai’ is aired Monday to Sunday at 8 pm; ‘Aunn Zara’ from Monday to Sunday at 8:55 pm, and ‘Kitne Girhain Baaki Hain’ from Monday to Sunday at 10:15 pm.
And there are still many Pakistani serials which the channel will be soon airing, including some of the highest rated shows like ‘Humsafar’ (23 episodes), ‘Kahi An Kahi’ (23 episodes), ‘Meeray Qatil Meray Dildar’ (26 episodes), ‘Ishq Junoon Dewangi’ (21 episodes), and ‘Ishq Gumshuda’ (21 episodes).
Meanwhile, many Kashmiri youngsters have the copies of these serials in their laptops and pen drives and pass it on to their mates.
The youngsters who watch the Pakistani serials not only praise the story but also say that the content is such that it leaves an impact on the audience. “If you watch ‘Daastan’, for example, one is able to understand the historical process that created Pakistan and how it impacted lives of many,” said Sadaf Khursheed, a mass media student.
Sadaf said she cried when Bano (a character in ‘Daastan’) escapes successfully from the clutches of “Sikh rapist to Pakistan and kisses the ground.”
Experts say that Pakistani television serials enjoy a reputation for being classier than the Indian dramas.
“They give a dream to live in,” says Tarique Bhat, a filmmaker who heads ‘Associated Media’, a production house in Srinagar.
“Unless a drama drags its viewer into a fantasy world where he or she connects himself or herself with the character, it cannot succeed, and the Pakistani dramas on Hum TV or ARY have that effect of hooking up its viewers. Their class is international,” Tarique said. “As a filmmaker I know that if audience identifies itself with the character it means job is done. And Pakistani dramas have no match in this regard.”
While Tarique was talking to Kashmir Reader, he asked his daughter, a 7th grader why she was fond of Pakistani serials. “They (characters) do not die and their actors do not keep resurrecting like the Indian actors,” pat came the reply.
Arshad Mushtaq, a theatre playwright and filmmaker, seconds Tarique. “Pakistani serials are brilliant. In their plot, story, direction and acting Indian dramas can’t even be compared.”
According to Arshad, Pakistani serials are made by professionals who depict the society they live in, and owing to literary base they touch the peoples’ issues.
“Pakistani dramas are driven by idea and have a strong literary base, while as Indian dramas are merely TRP exercises. Indian serials lack quality writers and Pakistan has built up a strong base in this area,” he said.
There are also people who say that it is cultural affinity between Pakistan and Kashmir that hooks Kashmiris to Pakistani serials.
“One is able to identify himself with the story or characters in these dramas as they share same social structure we belong to, thus making them more acceptable to us than Indian dramas,” said Shehzaad Ahmad, a bank employee.
“I have watched dramas from both the countries, but what makes me more enthusiastic about Pakistani ones is that they share our language and religion. Besides, we have emotional attachment with Pakistanis,” said Saqib-ul-Hasan an engineering graduate.

Bangladesh 166 million wants to get independence from Indian culture but the Shiekh Hasina and its government wants to remain Indian beggars

there was a time when in Pakistan some people watch indian soaps but now a days for the last 5 or so years no one in Pakistan give a dam to indian content....and Pakistani Dramas are in more demand and majority watch Pakistani daramas religiously

Same in my household...

do you guys watch Pakistani Serials?

Yes - especially the womenfolk do regularly which is available on Youtube. Quality of acting and drama are a lot better than the Bollywood cheap delusional junk (which reflects little if any of what real life in the subcontinent entails).

I think Indian serials generally aspire to some unrealistic standard of living that not even 0.5% of Indians have. And most Bangladeshis have been to India at least a few times and seen in person how middle class (even upper middle class) lives.

Yes - especially the womenfolk do regularly which is available on Youtube. Quality of acting and drama are a lot better than the Bollywood cheap delusional junk (which reflects little if any of what real life in the subcontinent entails).

I think Indian serials generally aspire to some unrealistic standard of living that not even 0.5% of Indians have. And most Bangladeshis have been to India at least a few times and seen in person how middle class (even upper middle class) lives.
good to know this.....i wish more cultural relations with Bangladesh which is good for Bangladesh.

have you watched Mere Pass Tum Ho which made the whole world crazy?

good to know this.....i wish more cultural relations with Bangladesh which is good for Bangladesh.

have you watched Mere Pass Tum Ho which made the whole world crazy?

I did have a chance to watch a few episodes - superb acting!

The rich interloper businessman, the errant wife, the financially struggling honest public-servant husband later to gain wealth, all very good and well enacted. :-)

I keep the media room well supplied with boxes of tissue which gets used quite a bit by the women. :P

I wonder if Indians watch these - so much better than their garbage Saas-bahu stuff.

I watched Pakistan action movie SYSTEM few days back on YouTube.... film direction, screen play, acting, dialoguebaazi, action scenes all pathetic.... not even comparable with our B grade movies....however main villain of film is a talented actor...

Actually I wanted to see horror pakistani movie and tried to watch Siyaah but my God couldn't even tolerate for half an hour.... bakwaas..... I'm sure no today's pakistani horror movie can be compared with even our 1992 movie RAAT or 1980 movie GAHRAI...

So in short when I had enough is enough after watching SYSTEM I'll never ever experiment anything with Pakistan film or TV shows.... .

Korean, Malaysian, Indonesian and Thailand horror / action movies are much better and technically far advance than Pakistan.....

Last edited:
I watched Pakistan action movie SYSTEM few days back on YouTube.... film direction, screen play, acting, dialoguebaazi, action scenes all pathetic.... not even comparable with our B grade movies....however main villain of film is a talented actor...

Actually I wanted to see horror pakistani movie and tried to watch Siyaah but my God couldn't even tolerate for half an hour.... bakwaas..... I'm sure no today pakistani horror movie can be compared with even our 1992 movie RAAT or 1980 movie GAHRAI...

So in short when I had enough is enough after watching SYSTEM I'll never ever experiment anything with Pakistan film or TV shows.... .

Korean, Malaysian, Indonesian and Thailand horror / action movies are much better and technically far advance than Pakistan.....
Once when I was high, a Pakistani friend made me watch some clips from a Pakistani movie where the villain was Salman Rushdie! In that Rushdie tortures people by reading from his book! Lol.

Once when I was high, a Pakistani friend made me watch some clips from a Pakistani movie where the villain was Salman Rushdie! In that Rushdie tortures people by reading from his book! Lol.

Do you mean that villain of film system played character of Salman Rushdie?

Back
Top Bottom