What's new

The IPL thread

Who is going to win IPL 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please vote on the poll in this thread everyone. We can compare the results once the season is done to see how right we were lol

'IPL won't grow beyond seven weeks' - Modi

Lalit Modi, the IPL commissioner, has said there are no plans to extend the tournament's season beyond the current six-to-seven week duration, as that would affect other forms of the game and the regular cricket season in India. Speaking on Cricinfo's fortnightly discussion show Time Out, Modi also defended the $225 million base price for the new franchises, rejecting the notion that it would create a football-style debt trap for the investors.

"We are going to have the current limitation (in the IPL's duration), and we are happy to live with that," Modi said. "Then (if we make it a longer tournament) you are going to starting to hurt the other forms of the game. We chose the window specifically to be off-season in India, April-May are typically off season in India … I don't think we are going to be able to change that."

Even with 94 games scheduled in the 2011 season, Modi said the season will only be 51 days long. "It's (next season) only over seven weeks instead of six, it's over 51 days instead of 46, we have done the scheduling, we just have to announce it."

While the IPL had packed houses in its inaugural year, several Test matches in India, including the one in which Sachin Tendulkar overtook Brian Lara's run-aggregate, have attracted disappointingly small crowds over the past few years, leading to fears of a dip in popularity in the game's oldest format. However, Modi strongly disagreed with that notion, stating that viewership ratings were continuing to rise and even suggested that Test cricket was the highest revenue-earner for the Indian board.

"Test cricket is our bread and butter which people don't understand, we are never going to compromise on Test cricket," he said. "When I talked about, you know, (how) we have to do something about Test cricket, it's in the other countries that Test cricket is going down. In India, our ratings are going up, we have been tracking that year by year, in fact, we get paid highest for Test cricket."

He rejected the charge that the glamour and the money associated with the IPL will make today's children grow up thinking of Twenty20 as the only format that matters. "The younger generation was mostly moving away from the game of cricket, we have brought them back into the game," he said. "They were diverting their attention towards football and other sports, we have not only been able to retain them, we have been able to add more people to it, I think the size of the pie is only going to increase."

The IPL has been an enormous success in its first two seasons, giving the tournament's organisers the confidence to quadruple the base price for two new franchises from the US$50m it was for the original eight franchises in 2007. Modi said he had no fears that the high valuation would lead to a repeat of the scenario in the English Premier League, where many of the leading clubs are perennially in debt.

"We wouldn't want that (clubs getting into a debt trap). When we did our numbers (in 2007), it was on a business plan. Our business plan is already four times of what we had planned then"
Modi on the steep rise in the base price of IPL franchises

"We wouldn't want that (clubs getting into a debt trap). When we did the 50m numbers, we projected certain revenue going forward, 80% of the revenue (we earn) goes back to the franchises," he said. "When we did our numbers, it was on a business plan. Our business plan is already four times of what we had planned then."

The value of the Rajasthan Royals, who won the inaugural season of the IPL, shot up to more than twice the US$67m it was brought for in just a year, but Modi said he had no regrets over the base price of US$50m for the original franchises. "No, no, the idea is that everybody should survive and make money on it, then only can somebody grow, because of the confidence, whatever we have done, we have no regrets."

Last month, there was talk that Modi was planning to take the IPL to the US, but he said the idea was to play some exhibition matches or a short tournament there, and not to move the main competition. "The US is a big market, a growing market, we definitely want to tap that market," he said. "I don't think we will go with the IPL, but what you'll do is take the IPL teams, play a shorter tournament or exhibition games to start with, you'll play within the gaps in the calendar in the year and try and build a fanbase"

When asked whether he was concerned over the perception that the IPL starts and ends with Lalit Modi and over what would happen if he was not associated with the IPL he said, "I do, I think about it all the time, that's why we are trying to put in a professional organization. We are only two years old, we have some very, very good people in there, and whether I'm there or not, they have learnt very well and I'm sure they will be able to take it on."

'IPL won't grow beyond seven weeks' - Modi | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Secure Nannes heads to Delhi

Dirk Nannes has always felt comfortable in India and is a definite starter in the IPL tournament beginning on Friday. Nannes left Melbourne on Saturday to join Delhi Daredevils and was confident the security and safety problems would not be an issue during the event.

"I have always felt pretty good in India," Nannes said in the Sunday Herald Sun. "Security can be a bit of perception. If you feel safe, then you probably are safe. But the reality may be completely different.

"I wasn't comfortable in coming to a decision myself, but, luckily, the Australian Cricketers' Association has done a lot of investigating and has been pushing to make it a lot safer for us. They think if things keep progressing the way they are, then things will be fine from next week and the start of the tournament."

Nannes has retired from first-class action to prolong his career in the shorter formats, which includes representing Australia in Twenty20s. He has played five T20s for Australia and his left-arm fast, which can top 155kph, is a daunting prospect for batsmen as they chase boundaries.

"My body simply cannot handle playing first-class cricket," he said. "Even if I made myself available, there was no chance of me playing the last few [Sheffield Shield] games.

"I have a back issue. It's fine for playing the shorter forms, but if I was asked to bowl 17 overs one day I couldn't back up and bowl again the next day." After the IPL Nannes is hoping to be part of Australia's World Twenty20 campaign, having played in last year's tournament for the Netherlands.

Secure Nannes heads to Delhi | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Bond all set to play in IPL III

New Zealand Cricket Players Association boss Heath Mills said Bond will declare himself available for the upcoming IPL III.

Al-Qaeda [ Images ] had threatened to target players during the IPL, but Bond, Daniel Vettori [ Images ], Brendon McCullum [ Images ] and Jacob Oram [ Images ] (if fit) are now more likely to attend than when the terror warning was first issued.

"They're going of their own accord; New Zealand Cricket isn't involved so it comes down to an individual decision at the end of the day.

"Bondy will be the first one to go, so he's probably getting close to making a decision and all I'm going to do is keep relaying information to him from our security adviser, Reg Dickason," Mills said.

"The measures they've put in place have got a lot better so they (the players) are getting more confident. Certainly more confident than they were two weeks ago," Mills said.

"I'd say they'd be of a mind to go at the moment, but that's their call and obviously I wouldn't want to be seen to say that they're definitely going," Stuff.co.nz quoted Bond, as saying.

Mills said that security strategies around the 12 venues and host cities in India had shown marked improvement in recent days and he felt they would improve again in the lead-up to the tournament.

Bond all set to play in IPL III: Rediff Sports

Warne gives thumbs-up for new franchises

"Every cricketer now dreams of playing for his country and also in the IPL."

"Every cricketer now dreams of playing for his country and also in the IPL," Warne said. "The decision will give more opportunity to them. The IPL has attracted more people towards the sport. Those who retired recently were attracted too. I feel it has become the best competition of cricket."

Rajasthan, who won the inaugural IPL, finished an unimpressive sixth last year in South Africa and Warne said his side were aiming to put up a consistent show. "Yes, we were not consistent last year," Warne said. "We will address that problem and would do better since we are back on the home turf. We have a strong group of players and a few of them are capable of surprising everyone in IPL 3. At top of the order there is South Africa captain Graeme Smith, who is like a rock.

"The experience of Damien Martyn and Shane Watson, youngsters like Michael Lumb and Adam Voges have made us a formidable side. We have some very good talented Indian players too."

Warne said he was also banking on the allrounder Yusuf Pathan's home form for the third edition. "He was not that consistent in South Africa but he is a matchwinner. Not many of the batsmen can hit the first ball they face for a six. He had grabbed few Man-of-the-Match awards in the first edition of the IPL. He has the capability to change the course of any match.

"I'm going to entrust the responsibility to my team-mates. I am sure they will be ready to grab the opportunity willingly. In our team, all players are equal and that is our strength. I make them believe that we can win from any situation. That is why we won most of our last-ball finishes."

About his own form, Warne said, "I have turned few balls during the practice matches. I hope I would soon be in perfect rhythm."

Warne also said it was his love for both India and Australia that inspired him to contribute to easing off tensions between the two countries in the wake of attacks on Indians in Australia. In fact, the Shiv Sena, a right-wing Indian political party, had earlier claimed it would not allow Australian cricketers to participate in the competition as a protest against the attacks.

"I hail from Victoria in Australia and have had the cricketing relations with India for more than 20 years," Warne said. "I love all the three - Victoria, Australia and India. That is why I have tried to visit the Indian community in Victoria and had assured them."

Rajasthan kick off their IPL campaign with an away game against Mumbai Indians on March 13.

Shane Warne gives thumbs-up for new IPL franchises | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Deccan bank on batting for an encore

They tried to fly like Superman but crash-landed in the first season. They returned for the second edition as Clark Kent and won the tournament. On the cusp of what could be an interesting third season, the question arises: Will the real Deccan Chargers please stand up?

After the overconfidence of the first year, they realised the importance of the local Indian players doing well and the leadership of Darren Lehmann and Adam Gilchrist ensured that that objective was met in style. The likes of Rohit Sharma, Venugopal Rao and T Suman formed the core of the middle order and offered tremendous value as spinners. And they can continue to depend on Pragyan Ojha, who shone in the last edition with his control and discipline.

In fact the Indian players are not the problem areas this year; the season hinges on the performance of the foreign players and their ability to adapt to Indian conditions. Can Herschelle Gibbs get back into form? Will Gilchrist himself, being out of cricket for long, have any problem getting into the groove? What is Andrew Symonds' state of mind? If all the above are positive, Deccan have Mitchell Marsh, Ryan Harris, Dwayne Smith, and Kemar Roach who can turn out to be key performers.

The buzz

The main buzz revolved around the games being taken away from the home venue Hyderabad following sporadic violence surrounding the separatist Telangana movement. It may not, however, be a bad thing for the home team - they have not won a single match in the IPL or Champions League on home turf (last year's games were in South Africa).

New faces

Deccan have signed up the upcoming talented batsman Mitchell Marsh, younger brother of Australian opener Shaun, and Kemar Roach as a replacement for fellow West Indian fast bowler Fidel Edwards. Roach impressed the world with his performances in Australia, particularly in his duel with Ricky Ponting. He has the pace of Edwards without the latter's erratic streak. Marsh is an interesting pick and he could very well take Gibbs' spot if the latter continues to not perform.
Watch out for
Andrew Symonds. The world knows what he can do on a cricket field even if at times he forgets it himself. In Indian conditions, he can be a real powerhouse with his off spin or medium pace and with his explosive batting and fielding. The IPL is the only arena where much of the cricketing world will get to see him perform and it should make for a fascinating viewing experience.

Missing in action

Edwards, who sparkled in the early rounds of last year's tournament, is the only big casualty but he has been replaced by the talented Roach.

Strength

Their batting is stronger than the bowling and can be potentially very explosive with the presence of Gilchrist, Symonds, Rohit Sharma and Smith.

Weakness

The bowlers. RP Singh, who was the purple-cap holder last year with 23 wickets, usually struggles in Indian conditions. It has to be seen how Harris and Roach adapt to the conditions. And perhaps there is too much of a burden on the irregular spinners Rohit and Rao. Only time will tell.

X-Factor

Mitchell Marsh. He is a powerful batsman who has captained the Australian Under-19 team to the World Cup triumph recently. Gilchrist rates him highly and it won't be surprising if he replaces Gibbs straightaway.

IPL 2009 - The key figures

Final position: Winners
Top scorer: Gilchrist with 495 runs at 30.93
Top wicket-taker: RP Singh with 23 wickets at 18.13 and economy-rate of 6.50
Best result: The crushing eight-wicket win over Kolkata Knight Riders was the best though the crushing six-wicket win over Delhi in the semi-final will be more memorable for the brutal innings by Gilchrist. Worst result: 78-run loss to Chennai Super Kings
Highest team score: 184 for 6 v Bangalore
Lowest team score: 100 v Chennai

Prediction for 2010
They should make the semi-finals

0bba558ca7aeec835d034bee9517f76d.jpg

Wohhhooo Go Delhi :P

38840f6f87be02fd0728effcfe3bb0ee.jpg

Delhi hope to get third time lucky

Teams: Delhi Daredevils
Delhi Daredevils enter the third IPL with the same label as they did the past two - as the team to beat. That is, however, until they reach the semi-finals. Two seasons, two semi-final games, two poor performances. The Delhi juggernaut is a formidable one at normal times, but when the stakes get higher, they have failed to bring out a facet that is only the preserve of champions. Simply put, in two semi-finals they failed to lift their game to an even higher level.

Boasting the best batting order of the tournament, a very reliable wicketkeeper-batsman, the best Twenty20 spinner with an economical Indian ally, and an enviable new-ball attack, Delhi have everything going for them three days before the IPL starts. If Virender Sehwag and David Warner provide sheer belligerence with the bat, Tillakaratne Dilshan and AB de Villiers bring a mix of calculated big-hitting and superb running between the wickets. Gautam Gambhir can score at a clip without being half as audacious as these four names, while Dinesh Karthik holds up an unassuming lower middle order with his brand of Twenty20 batting.

Dirk Nannes and Ashish Nehra proved a highly successful pair in South Africa and later in the Champions League Twenty20 in India and are fitting prelude to what follows. Daniel Vettori, when he links up with the team in the second half of the tournament, brings talent and experience and Rajat Bhatia, Pradeep Sangwan and Aavishkar Salvi are more than capable medium-pace options.

The buzz

The pitch at the Feroz Shah Kotla, which was severely criticised following the abandonment of the India-Sri Lanka ODI on December 27, has passed the scrutiny of Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, chairman of the IPL cricket committee. However, the surface remains an unknown quantity after it first came under scrutiny during the Champions League Twenty20 in October when the pitch was slow and offered uneven bounce. The venue has been banned from hosting internationals for 12 month but IPL games have been passed.
Last week Delhi signed up Eric Simons, India's bowling coach for the home series against South Africa, as an assistant coach. Simons, who will assist Greg Shipperd, fills the position left vacant by Australia's David Saker, and will focus on working with the large bunch of young bowlers in the Delhi squad.

New faces

Delhi jumped at Wayne Parnell in this year's auction and netted the young fast bowler for $610,000. That amount surprised Parnell, and has increased the pressure on him. Parnell fills the slot left vacant after Delhi bought out the contract of Glenn McGrath. The other acquisition is the New South Wales allrounder Moises Henriques, who was transferred from Kolkata Knight Riders, the former India offspinner Sarandep Singh, and the Punjab legspinner Sarabjit Ladda. These three are unlikely to see much playing time given the overseas player cap and Amit Mishra's success as the prime spinner.

Watch out for

David Warner has been in brutal touch against New Zealand and West Indies during Australia's successful summer, and his accomplishments for NSW during the Champions League Twenty20 in India last year prove he likes the conditions. Warner is wicked when at his left-handed best but also likes to change it up every now and then. Tellingly, Warner does not want to abandon the switch-hit, which he believes gives him the advantage of being able to hit with the turn regardless of whether an offspinner or a legspinner is operating.

Missing in action

Daniel Vettori will not be available until the end of New Zealand's Test series against Australia ends on March 31, but franchises have a 48-hour window to name a swap so expect them to usher him back. Apart from that, each of their first-choice players is available for the entire tournament.

X factor

Dinesh Karthik. After a very powerful top five, Karthik settles into the middle order as a major asset for Delhi. A very skilled limited-overs player, Karthik is an asset in Twenty20 because of his ability to hit a long ball and lead a recovery at a brisk pace from down the order. He has never looked bogged down in Twenty20 and has most always been able to find the gaps even when wickets have been lost. Certain to play all Delhi's matches due to his role as wicketkeeper, this is one player the opposition may happen to overlook because of the far more accomplished names the squad. But they do so at a big risk.

Strength

When the first five names on your team list are Sehwag, Gambhir, Dilshan, de Villiers, and Warner, sufficed to say batting is your strongest asset.

Weakness

Delhi are fast earning the unwanted tag of being club cricket's South Africa in that they have a tendency to choke when it most matters. They made the semi-finals of both IPL seasons and failed to get that far in the inaugural Champions League Twenty20 held in India last year. The batting, fielding and bowling are top notch but it's in the head and gut that this outfit needs to toughen up.

IPL 2009 - the key figures:

Final position: Semi-finalists
Top scorer: AB de Villiers with 465 runs at 51.66
Top wicket-taker: Ashish Nehra with 19 wickets at 18.21 and economy rate of 6.78
Best result: Ten-wicket win over Kings XI Punjab
Worst result: six-wicket loss with 14 balls remaining to eventual winners Deccan Chargers in the semi-finals
Highest team score: 189 v Chennai Super Kings
Lowest team score: 120 for 9 v Punjab

Prediction for 2010

Put your money on them making the semi-finals - and they could get third time lucky.

Knight vision still blurry

Fake IPL player, multiple captains, doping charges, a sacked coach, perhaps the ugliest uniform (only to be beaten by an even uglier one this year), floodlight failures at Eden Gardens, parties, Bollywood glitz and Shah Rukh Khan. Everything about Kolkata Knight Riders suggests the prototype modern, media-feeding, headline-churning, eyeballs-grabbing team. Except for the success-rate, the worst among the eight teams over two years. In the last season before next year's draft, Kolkata need a strong performance to do away with the caricature image they have acquired.

They have corrected some of the mistakes from the disastrous 2009 season. For starters, they have named one captain - Sourav Ganguly - for the season. In Dav Whatmore they have a coach who has a way with underdog teams. In Chris Gayle they have one of the most explosive openers going around, and this time he should be available for almost the entire season. In Brad Hodge they have the highest run-getter in Twenty20s, in Shane Bond one of the fastest bowlers around, in Charl Langeveldt one of the best during the death, in Ajantha Mendis a freakish spinner who could come good in Twenty20 any time and, in the later half of the season, they have Brendon McCullum. And in Wasim Akram they have a bowling coach capable of bringing out the best in the likes of Bond, Langeveldt and Ishant Sharma.

The international players, though, have not been their major worry. Kolkata's biggest failure has been their inability to get sizeable contributions out of the non-international Indians. Therein lies the biggest test for Sourav Ganguly and Whatmore.

The buzz
Kolkata's hype-creating machinery has been taking it easy this time: fewer advertisements, fewer pictures with Shah Rukh Khan, no controversy over team leadership, no fake IPL player in action either, though his book launches the day before the tournament begins. However, something time-honoured had to be done. Thus arrived the purple-and-gold, tight-fitting team jersey, sponsored by a manufacturing firm whose owners are linked with a controversial murder case.

New faces
Bond was their big buy at the auction and, unlike McCullum who will be playing Tests against Australia, Bond should miss a maximum of two IPL matches. Manoj Tiwary, a prolific Bengal batsman, has been traded in from Delhi, as has Owais Shah, who replaces Moises Henriques. They have also gone for an almost complete overhaul of the domestic players in the team.

Watch out for
Chris Gayle missed the first season completely, and had to leave the second midway for a series not many were interested in. He might miss a game or two this season - West Indies' ODI series against Zimbabwe finishes the day the IPL starts - but he will be itching to make a mark in the matches he plays. If Kolkata are to make a dramatic turnaround, they will need a few of Gayle's specials, the kinds that win matches single-handedly.

Missing in action
McCullum will not be available in March. New Zealand's Test series against Australia ends on March 31, following which he is expected to flown in business class on the first flight India-bound.

X-factor
Angelo Mathews has proved to a useful allrounder for Sri Lanka, and he contributes in every department: batting, bowling, and fielding.

Kolkata's biggest failure has been their inability to get sizeable contributions out of the non-international Indians © Getty Images
Strength
The top order: Gayle, Ganguly, Hodge, with the promise of McCullum.

Weakness
The Indian players. It will be the seven Indian players - the likes of Ishant Sharma, Ajit Agarkar, Manoj Tiwary, and the lesser-known ones - that will make the ultimate difference. Kolkata will need a matchwinner from two out of the seven local players - a performer like Swapnil Asnodkar, Yusuf Pathan or Pragyan Ojha is just what they need.

IPL 2009 - the key figures
Final position: last

Top scorer: Brad Hodge with 365 runs at 40.55 and strike-rate of 117.74

Top wicket-taker: Ishant Sharma with 11 wickets at 27 and economy-rate of 6.9

Best result: Seven-wicket win over Chennai Super Kings

Worst result: Eight-wicket defeat to Deccan Chargers

Highest team score: 189 v Chennai

Lowest team score: 95 v Mumbai Indians

Prediction for 2010
Deccan Chargers' title triumph last year, after finishing bottom in the first season, gave heart to Kolkata fans but that is probably in the realms of fantasy. A safe bet for Kolkata is a finish in the bottom half.

Sidharth Monga is a staff writer at Cricinfo

Delhi sure is a formidable side with Viru, Gauti, Warner, Dilshan and Dinesh Karthik at top of the order with Nannes, Parnel, Amit Misra and Farveez Maharoof... A very strong line up indeed. Only if it clicks.. they are the most balanced side in my book....

ICC rejects PCB complaint against IPL

KARACHI: The ICC has rejected the Pakistan Cricket Board's complaint against the Indian Premier League for snubbing Pakistani players, saying that it cannot act against a domestic event.

Well-placed sources in the PCB said that Pakistan had written to the ICC complaining about the treatment meted out to the players.

"Unfortunately for the PCB the ICC response was not very positive and the PCB officials are not very happy at the response from the ICC," a source disclosed.

The source said ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat has written to the PCB informing that the governing body could not interfere in what was primarily a domestic event.

"The ICC told the PCB that since the IPL was primarily a domestic tournament of the Indian cricket Board it couldn't do anything," the source said.

"The ICC also took the same stance as the IPL that the franchises which bid for the players were also private enterprises and the ICC had no control over them," the source added.

He disclosed that after getting this response from the ICC the PCB decided to let the matter go and adopt a policy of not allowing its players to appear in the IPL or Champions League this year or next year.

A lot of hue and cry was raised in Pakistan after no Pakistani player found a buyer in the IPL auction with the government also slamming the franchises and the Indian board.

"The fact is that some IPL franchises had wanted to sign on Pakistani players but were getting threats from extremist elements of dire consequences if they took Pakistani players in their team," one source disclosed.

"The franchises approached the IPL governing council to provide security for the Pakistani players but were told that security for players was not the direct responsibility of the organisers.

"The franchises then also wrote to the Indian government but it responded that it was responsible for providing security for only national teams not for individual players taking part in a private tournament," the source said.

He said when the IPL franchises were told they would have to arrange for the security of the players themselves, they decided against bidding for the Pakistani cricketers at the auction.

Back
Top Bottom