What's new

THE IMPACT OF INDIA’S S-400 PURCHASE

Zain Malik

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
During Prime Minister Modi’s visit to Moscow, India and Russia signed an intergovernmental agreement (IGA) over the Almaz-Antey S-400 Triumf long-range surface-to-air missile (SAM) system.

Under the $4.5 to $5 billion U.S. deal, India expects to receive the first batch of these systems from 2020. The S-400 purchase has been heralded as a ‘game-changer’ and a means to imbue India with an ‘edge’ against its regional adversaries – China and Pakistan.

In the aftermath of a Russian Air Force (VVS) Su-24 kill at the hands of a Turkish Air Force F-16, Moscow deployed the S-400 to Syria in order to support its expeditionary forces with direct air defence cover and – at least in the view of numerous observers – provide deterrence.

Whatever Russia’s intention behind deploying the S-400, the decision to send it to Syria certainly drew a high level of attention to the system. At this stage, many will be familiar with the S-400’s marquee missile – the 40N6 – which has a maximum engagement range of 400 km. In tandem, the S-400 also comprises of the 250 km range 48N6 as well as the medium-to-long-range 120km 9M96E2 and 40km 9M96E.

While generally viewed as a long-range SAM system, the S-400 is a comprehensive suite in that it is aimed to address a wide range of aerial threats, from long-range strategic threats (such as bombers) to stealthy low-flying cruise missiles. Its range coverage can span from as short as 40 km to as far as 400 km. The S-400’s principal radar – i.e. the 92N6E Grave Stone – can track 100 targets and simultaneously engage up to six (via its paired anti-air missiles). Its phased-array design is ascribed with effective electronic counter-counter measures (ECCM) capabilities, enabling it to withstand enemy radar jamming systems. Finally, the S-400 (in line with its Russian predecessors) is also a mobile system, thereby giving its users considerable flexibility in terms of deploying, withdrawing, and re-deploying the system.

Under the multi-billion-dollar deal, New Delhi is to procure five S-400 systems. The specific details of what India will be receiving have not yet been disclosed, but given the amount in question, it would be a surprise if the 48N6 (250 km) and 40N6 (400 km) missiles are not included. It is not clear how many launchers each S-400 system includes, though an image suggests that it should be at least four.

At first thought, one would assume that India has every incentive to station a number of S-400 systems – potentially up to three – in fairly close proximity to Pakistan. If equipped with the 40N6 missile, grounding the S-400 in the heart of Indian Punjab would enable India to stifle the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) from flying in key areas in its Central Command theatre (which is responsible for protecting Lahore, the country’s inland economic hub and second largest city). Similar positioning and results can be had in the south (in terms of Karachi) and the north (in terms of Kashmir).

India need not deploy the S-400 in that manner (at least permanently), though the incentive to pre-empt Pakistan from utilizing its aerial assets (which carry a number of the country’s pre-emptive stand-off range munitions) is certainly there and should not be dismissed. In fact, the risk of India taking such a course is something Pakistani defence planners would be wise to acknowledge and work to address. Moreover, India’s other air defence investments (e.g. Barak) provide it with ample opportunity to build medium-to-long range SAM applications for more conservative air defence deployments.

In general, Pakistan’s options to address the S-400, at least in terms of practical implementation, would be to (1) form a strong air defence umbrella over its own airspace, (2) greatly expand its asymmetrical offensive capabilities, and (3) heavily invest in defensively sound electronic warfare (EW) and electronic countermeasures (ECM) capabilities (to protect aerial assets and to pursue the S-400).

Last edited:
Nothing that is not discussed earlier in various threads here.

(2) greatly expand its asymmetrical offensive capabilities

What kind of capabilities is the author taking about in this point ?
Pakistan's military policy has been to defend and deny overall and absolute air superiority to the Indians but when you talk about increasing offensive capabilities in any form, the bridge is too long to cross with a few steps.

Last edited:
The conventional imbalance between India and Pakistan is already large. By this purchase the gap will further widen. There is least Pakistan can do to counter India's conventional ability but only to lower the nuclear threshold.

so what if India is buying S400 india is also buying FGFA/PAKFA , SPYDER SALM , BARAK-8/LR, AVAVNGER and reaper Drones from US and Rafale and F16Blk70/72 fighter jets and much much more

but why should pakistan worry it has worlds best army with worlds best SSG commandoes and Worlds best intellegence agency and worlds best air force with most well trained and agressive pilots and of corse it also has NASR 60Km SRBM and Tactical neuclear weapons and Babur and RAAD type cruise missles :coffee:

Na sao soonar ka Na ayk loohar ka.
Pakistan should increase it's Nuke capability.

so what if India is buying S400 india is also buying FGFA/PAKFA , SPYDER SALM , BARAK-8/LR, AVAVNGER and reaper Drones from US and Rafale and F16Blk70/72 fighter jets and much much more

but why should pakistan worry it has worlds best army with worlds best SSG commandoes and Worlds best intellegence agency and worlds best air force with most well trained and agressive pilots and of corse it also has NASR 60Km SRBM and Tactical neuclear weapons and Babur and RAAD type cruise missles :coffee:
so you mean pakistan is not buying anything or never bought anything in recent past?

so you mean pakistan is not buying anything or never bought anything in recent past?
no no sir i dint said that i said pakistan does not need to bother about trivial matters like potential purchase of FGFA/PAKFA/Rafale or S400or Barak LR-8 or Nuclear subs or aircraft carriers by indian forces as it already is too strong for India for the reasons i already gave ... was i wrondg sir :azn:

CPEC too, how could you forget that??

Na sao soonar ka Na ayk loohar ka.
Pakistan should increase it's Nuke capability.
Of course that is the only option left with Pakistan. :pakistan:

OR They could choose to remain under Indian hegemony, forget Kashmir, stop supporting non state actors , hand over wanted terrorists to India, open trade routes etc. ;)

WELL, I guess nuking India is any time a preferable option for Every Pakistani :D

Of course that is the only option left with Pakistan. :pakistan:

OR They could choose to remain under Indian hegemony, forget Kashmir, stop supporting non state actors , hand over wanted terrorists to India, open trade routes etc. ;)

WELL, I guess nuking India is any time a preferable option for Every Pakistani :D
Please keep the knife of your bughal first.
If you have a lot of weapons why India did not attack on Pakistan. Who stop you?

no no sir i dint said that i said pakistan does not need to bother about trivaial matters like potential purchase of FGFA/PAKFA/Rafale or S400or Barak LR-8 or Nuclear subs or aircraft carriers by indian forces as it already is too strong for India for the reasons i already gave ... was i wrondg sir :azn:
actually their is always a counter strategy.
pakistan had air defence systems enough to secure its air space. we recently purchased large number of new long range chinese systems. pakistan is not a big country which need large range systems as s400. for big country as india,india will need some more s400 systems to protect it's airspace.
italian air defence system aster,which is an equal adversary as s400 are expected to be aquired soon.
T 50 is a good aircraft but it will take time just like tejas. pakistan is already eyeing chinese stealth air craft. turkish stealth jet program is also available. but chinese is confirm.
pakistan is planning to upgrade it's thunders to the latest technologies. block 4 will have almost all latest tech like aesa radar,helmet mounted display.
we have already tested turkish and chinese attack helicopter and orders for them may have been given or will be given soon.

pakistan had not bigger coast to protect as india. pakistan is aquiring new frigates. 8 new submarines are on order from china. older submarines will get upgraded from turkey.
pakistan had it's own armed drones, which we are already using.

and about pakistan missile systems bluff. we are upgrading our systems constantly to dodge any air defence systems, the same way as india is upgrading it's systems.

How does this S400 procurement become a game-changer vis-a-vis Pakistan when Pakistan's strategy during all these years has simply been to Defend and Deny ? Pakistan's strategy involves use of TNWs in the event of any cold-start approach by India and the nuclear threshold that Pakistan has set, assures Mutually Assured Destruction, which is a strong-enough deterrent for India against any offensive ideas towards Pakistan.

Yes, the S400 is indeed relevant vis-a-vis India-China.

actually their is always a counter strategy.
pakistan had air defence systems enough to secure its air space. we recently purchased large number of new long range chinese systems. pakistan is not a big country which need large range systems as s400. for big country as india,india will need some more s400 systems to protect it's airspace.
italian air defence system aster,which is an equal adversary as s400 are expected to be aquired soon.
T 50 is a good aircraft but it will take time just like tejas. pakistan is already eyeing chinese stealth air craft. turkish stealth jet program is also available. but chinese is confirm.
pakistan is planning to upgrade it's thunders to the latest technologies. block 4 will have almost all latest tech like aesa radar,helmet mounted display.
we have already tested turkish and chinese attack helicopter and orders for them may have been given or will be given soon.

pakistan had not bigger coast to protect as india. pakistan is aquiring new frigates. 8 new submarines are on order from china. older submarines will get upgraded from turkey.
pakistan had it's own armed drones, which we are already using.

and about pakistan missile systems bluff. we are upgrading our systems constantly to dodge any air defence systems, the same way as india is upgrading it's systems.
when did i said pakistan does not have air defence netweork ?

or when did i said pakistan does not have a counter startegy to counter indian air defnces ?

i just said that pakistan is way too strong to be bother about recent purchases or say militarry hardware potential purchases by india as it has the worlds best armed forces with worlds best special forces and intellegence agaencies and fighter pilots plus alnd and aor launched cruise missiles and tactical neuclear weapons and SRBMs :coffee:

Please keep the knife of your bughal first.
If you have a lot of weapons why India did not attack on Pakistan. Who stop you?

But we only bughal mein churi- We are moun mein Ram Ram-

when did i said pakistan does not have air defence netweork ?

or when did i said pakistan does not have a counter startegy to counter indian air defnces ?

i just said that pakistan is way too strong to be bother about recent purchases or say militarry hardware potential purchases by india as it has the worlds best armed forces with worlds best special forces and intellegence agaencies and fighter pilots plus alnd and aor launched cruise missiles and tactical neuclear weapons and SRBMs :coffee:

Why using "been" in front of buffalo-

Back
Top Bottom