What's new

Teas... please post what you drink

I heard that they do tea in Africa, but I haven't ever drunk any. I'd only read about Kenya; it's a surprise to see you talking about your local tea and also Zimbabwe Tanganda tea. Ah well...it goes into my bucket list.

You are to be envied. I am constantly told to shift to green tea (my daughter, most of the time), but just can't bring myself to. Masala Chai is not in the frame.
Tea is a big business here. right across east/central and southern africa tea is grown. Some of the best top teas are here. Perfect climate and altitude with superb soil conditions

I have a simple taste.

At home generally Taj Mahal and Wagh Bakri.

MiGod, you must have a leather palate!

Outside, generally Earl Grey or Sulaimani. Though just for a change I have had KAshmiri Kahwa and some Japanese tea whose name I forgot.
Incorrect.

I drink Earl Grey on working days, the first cup. Thereafter it's coffee; either Brooke Bond Green Label, with a heavy chicory content, on working days, through a plunger; or a pure Arabica from a shop I know, that roasts and grinds the berries for me, on holidays, when the tea becomes Darjeeling.

Who gets good Kahwa outside Kashmir? It's brilliant! I'm looking for someone in Hyderabad who does it.

Black tea from Sri-Lanka.

You deserve to die a slow and lingering death.

Tea is a big business here. right across east/central and southern africa tea is grown. Some of the best top teas are here. Perfect climate and altitude with superb soil conditions

Paint me drooling.

Anything comparable to Darjeeling? Please don't say 'The lot'; I'd like a realistic answer.

This is the best so far

Ceylon Earl Grey? Well, in Earl Grey, the leaf ultimately matters very little. It's the bergamot that comes across and overpowers everything else.

Have lived in iran for a long long time so I drink only Black tea with saffron candy stick and Sour tea

And I hate all teas who have milk in them except Kashmiri tea

Only the English and the Chai-patti walas put milk into their tea. :-(

I was gifted some Kenyan black tea and My goodness it was the best black tea I have ever drank and I don't even like black tea I drink green tea.

Now I've got to get my hands on some of it. I've read so much about it.

I drink Earl Grey on working days, the first cup. Thereafter it's coffee; either Brooke Bond Green Label, with a heavy chicory content, on working days, through a plunger; or a pure Arabica from a shop I know, that roasts and grinds the berries for me, on holidays, when the tea becomes Darjeeling.

Who gets good Kahwa outside Kashmir? It's brilliant! I'm looking for someone in Hyderabad who does it.

Paint me drooling.

Anything comparable to Darjeeling? Please don't say 'The lot'; I'd like a realistic answer.

Ceylon Earl Grey? Well, in Earl Grey, the leaf ultimately matters very little. It's the bergamot that comes across and overpowers everything else.

Man, it will leave darjeeling behind in the economy class. I am not kidding.

Iringa/Mbeya, Tanzania is the holy grail if you want to get the ultimate in tea.

Paint me drooling.

Also Malawi produces some astounding black tea.

Rating wise in our region
1. Tanzania/Malawi
2. Kenya
3. Zimbabwe

Mbeya, Tanzania is the holy grail if you want to get the ultimate in tea.

:o:

I'm gobsmacked. I grew up in the Dooars, and didn't know that you had to buy tea in shops till I got married and set up house. It is difficult to imagine something that leaves a good Darjeeling second flush in the economy class, and now I can't rest till I get my hands on some. You sound like you know your tea.

Iringa/Mbeya, Tanzania is the holy grail if you want to get the ultimate in tea.

1. Tanzania/Malawi
2. Kenya
3. Zimbabwe

This is making me nervous and very, very uneasy. What have I been missing?

I'm gobsmacked. I grew up in the Dooars, and didn't know that you had to buy tea in shops till I got married and set up house. It is difficult to imagine something that leaves a good Darjeeling second flush in the economy class, and now I can't rest till I get my hands on some. You sound like you know your tea.
Yes friend. Tea/Coffee. We are in the planting business and agriculture. So have to know where is what.

This is making me nervous and very, very uneasy. What have I been missing?
My suggestion. Take a flight out to Dar. Spent a few days there, sample local chai - yes it is called chai in swahili. Also tanzania kawa - black coffee; just astounding and out of the world. Then hop on the TAZARA and go out to Iringa via Selous game reserve. Just an amazing experience.

Did it so telling from personal experience. Hop on over to Zanzibar for spices.

Yes friend. Tea/Coffee. We are in the planting business and agriculture. So have to know where is what.

My suggestion. Take a flight out to Dar. Spent a few days there, sample local chai - yes it is called chai in swahili. Also tanzania kawa - black coffee; just astounding and out of the world. Then hop on the TAZARA and go out to Iringa via Selous game reserve. Just an amazing experience.

Did it so telling from personal experience. Hop on over to Zanzibar for spices.
Also if you can find Africafe coffee from Tanzania; you wont touch another coffee.
I introduced it to a few friends and they never looked back.

3pm past... tea time :) now.

My sister in law makes the best tea in the world :cheers:
I love her Kashmiri chai, Peshawri chai and massala chai which is made with ginger and cardamom :toast_sign:

1. Tanzania/Malawi
2. Kenya
3. Zimbabwe

African tea is highly underrated and unknown as it seems.

81O5TNsratL._SY550_.jpg

This is the best so far

Nice box.

:lol:

Maybe you can contact Infinitea ( http://www.infinitea.in ).

Last edited:
Nice box.

:lol:

Maybe you can contact Infinitea ( http://www.infinitea.in ). They run tea rooms in Bangalore and perhaps other cities too.

Cunningham Road? I have been there, right when it started, and strongly doubt that they can do nun chai. I still think somebody in Hyderabad must be doing it. I would have asked jbgt90, but he might kill me for asking about tea. He's a fanatic about coffee.

White tea(China),green tea lemon(Pick Wick,Dutch brand),Iranian black tea(''kacak'',smuggled).Turkish black tea.
All as is,no milk no sugar or other bs.

White tea(China),green tea lemon(Pick Wick,Dutch brand),Iranian black tea(''kacak'',smuggled).Turkish black tea.
All as is,no milk no sugar or other bs.

No sugar, eh ??

You make it sound like you are in a competition. :D

Back
Top Bottom