What's new

T-LORAMIDS Tender | Updates & Discussion

What is the best option for the T-LORAMIDS Program

• Total voters
More than weapon system deals. Turky is a power, is important to China.
China should strengthen the political relations with Turkey, should share more experience in weapon reserch and development with Turkey.

Should we be really arming a regime like Turkey that has a well known history of being a state sponsor of terror!

They support terrorists in Xinjiang and now support terrorists in Syria.

I don't think I want to be friends or do business with a regime that funds, arms and trains terrorists that do suicide bombings, use chemical weapons on innocent children and is a vassal state of the US.

I feel very uncomfortable supporting these radicals and their regime.

China only sell watered down version of their armory like any other military exporter, HQ-9 is no exception. HQ-9 was inducted in the 1990s, and given how far China's military has modernised since then, there is nothing too concerning about the level of technical expertise that will be sold.

To my Turkish & Chinese Brethren - Solve your disagreements because this could be that start of a very beneficial partnership for the both of you !

China will only sell water down version to Turkey. And Turkey might transfer the first shipment to the US for study and cancel the rest of the deal.

China will only sell water down version to Turkey. And Turkey might transfer the first shipment to the US for study and cancel the rest of the deal.

I trust the Turks not to do that & I trust the Chinese involved in the deal to have placed that in their calculus when they decided to sell it to Turkey !

I trust the Turks not to do that & I trust the Chinese involved in the deal to have placed that in their calculus when they decided to sell it to Turkey !

Since Turkey is a nato member, it would certain pass important info about this missile system to US. China is endangering its own air defense by selling this system to Turkey. I would not be surprise that China withdraw the offer and they are only in it to show its missile is competitive, not to actually sell the missile and its technology.

Since Turkey is a nato member, it would certain pass important info about this missile system to US. China is endangering its own air defense by selling this system to Turkey. I would not be surprise that China withdraw the offer and they are only in it to show its missile is competitive, not to actually sell the missile and its technology.

I think those consideration would've been debated by China ad nauseam before tabling the offer !

I think those consideration would've been debated by China ad nauseam before tabling the offer !

And since they move forward, lets watch their next steps. I still would bet that they would not transfer the tech.

On the side note, I wonder why India didn't offer Brahmos since its the best missile out there. They surely can find a way to make Brahmos an anti air missile. Just like how they converted Kavari engine to a train and boat engine.

Didn't know that the firm was sanctioned.

(Reuters) - NATO member Turkey has chosen a Chinese defense firm that has been sanctioned by Washington to co-produce a $4 billion long-range air and missile defense system, rejecting rival bids from Russian, U.S. and European firms.

The Turkish defense minister announced the decision to award the contract to China Precision Machinery Import and Export Corp (CPMIEC) in a statement on Thursday.

In February, the United States announced sanctions on CPMIEC for violations of the Iran, North Korea and Syria Nonproliferation Act.

It did not say precisely what CPMIEC had done, but Washington has penalized the company before. In 2003, Washington said it was extending sanctions on the firm for arms sales to Iran. It was unclear when those measures were first imposed.

Officials at state-run CPMIEC, the marketing arm of China's missile manufacturing industry, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Turkey, which has the second-largest deployable military force in the NATO alliance, has no long-range missile defense system of its own, but NATO has deployed the U.S.-built Patriot air and missile defense system there since 2012.

The winning Chinese FD-2000 system beat the Patriot, the Russian S-400 and the French-Italian Eurosam Samp-T.

Raytheon Co (RTN.N), which builds the Patriot missile system, said it had been informed about the Turkish decision and hoped to get a briefing soon. It said there were 200 Patriot units deployed in 12 countries, including Turkey.

"NATO has long supported the system, deploying Patriots in five aligned countries and, in 2012, providing a requested Patriot deployment to Turkey. Given this strong performance, we hope to have an opportunity to debrief and learn more about this decision," Raytheon spokesman Mike Doble said.

MADE IN CHINA

CPMIEC does not make missiles itself. The two main manufacturers are China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp (CASC) and China Aerospace Science and Industry Corp (CASIC). CASC makes intercontinental ballistic missiles, while CASIC focuses on short- and intermediate-range rockets.

After decades of steep military spending increases and cash injections into local contractors, experts say some Chinese-made equipment is now comparable to Russian or Western weaponry.

China last year became the world's fifth-biggest arms supplier with 5 percent of the market, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. Pakistan was its biggest buyer.

Turkish Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz's statement also said a contract to produce six corvette ships by Koc Holding (KCHOL.IS), Turkey's biggest conglomerate, had been canceled. A contract to build two ships would be awarded to the Turkish naval shipyard. The construction of four remaining ships will be put out to tender later, Yilmaz said.

Koc Holding was recently accused of backing the 1997 military overthrow of Turkey's first Islamist-led government, sending the firm's shares tumbling on fears of a deepening vendetta against the country's secular business elite.

The Turkish government launched a probe into the taxes of Koc energy firms in July, weeks after criticizing one of the family's hotels for sheltering protesters during anti-government unrest that rocked several cities over the summer.

(Writing by Ece Toksabay, with additional reporting by Andrea Shalal-Esa in Washington, David Lague in Hong Kong and Hui Li in Beijing; Editing by Dean Yates and Ian Geoghegan)

U.S.-sanctioned Chinese firm wins Turkey missile defense system tender | Reuters

I would like to see the US or NATO comment on this decision.

I like to hear Turkey comment on this decision.

I dont know what is so upset of Turkish member about Turkish military buying China HQ-9.. You are all thinking The Turkish top level people are moron. No, in fact. Turkish have proved they are very capable people making lots of wise decision. The economic is doing well and country is prospering.

The top level Turkish government must have done some serious evaluation and find that HQ-9 is a very superior long range air defense that triumph Patriot, Aster and S-400. Turkey is not a poor country. Cash is not exactly a problem.

Turkish member must remember, you are buying an very advance missile system from a country that can produce the world fastest super computer, a country that can carry out mid-course outer space ballistic missile interception. A country that can produce global GPS(beidou II) system. A country that can build and afford two 5th gen stealth fighter jet program at the same time. China tecnology is there. If not, some of the best in the world.

Should we be really arming a regime like Turkey that has a well known history of being a state sponsor of terror!

They support terrorists in Xinjiang and now support terrorists in Syria.

I don't think I want to be friends or do business with a regime that funds, arms and trains terrorists that do suicide bombings, use chemical weapons on innocent children and is a vassal state of the US.

I feel very uncomfortable supporting these radicals and their regime.

Ignore atawolf. He is not a pure turkish. Just a turkish born overseas and know nothing good for Turkey.

Back
Top Bottom