What's new

Sylheti is a language on its own right.

This script he keeps talking about that was used the syhleti dialect was only brought out for administration purposes when the mugals allowed syhlet to join assam for admin purposes. Syhlet joined Bengal and assam numerous time.

Not many people used the that syhleti script.

This script he keeps talking about that was used the syhleti dialect was only brought out for administration purposes when the mugals allowed syhlet to join assam for admin purposes. Syhlet joined Bengal and assam numerous time.

Not many people used the that syhleti script.
Average Sylheti when they talk on pure Sylheti it is mutually unintelligible, I have many friends from other divisions of Bangladesh who do not understand at all when we speak in pure Sylheti. we know, finally international community and British Bangladeshis are working to preserve it. I see that in Dhaka there is some work going on to protect Sylheti language as well. It will happen more and more people will only realize that Sylheti is actually completely separate language within its own rights. Countries can have multiples cultures and languages and still flourish and be prosperousC industrious and innovative. InshAllah, pluralism and multiculturalism and flourish in Bangladesh and Assam and Bihar can also one day join Bangladesh to form greater Bangladesh and safeguard the rights of Indian Muslims as well irregardless of whether they are Bengali, Assamese or Bihari Muslim, we shall respect all people and of course they should have a lingua Franca which can stay as Bengali and English. @Syed Hammad Ahmed

My post gets deleted for being offensive? He called me scum and calling others retarded + ethno facists. Even though I am 100% syhleti by blood.

Syhleti is heavily related to bengali.
You’re not a Sylheti I am sorry Proud Muslim Sylheti Bangladeshi American here. This is what you are denying: https://www.dhakatribune.com/special-supplement/2018/02/21/denial-linguistic-diversity-bangladesh/

Last edited:
Average Sylheti when they talk on pure Sylheti it is mutually unintelligible, I have many friends from other division of Sylhet we know, finally international community and British Bangladeshis are working to preserve it. I see that in Dhaka there is some work going on to protect Sylheti language as well. It will happen more and more people will only realize that Sylheti is actually completely separate language within its own rights. Countries can have multiples cultures and languages and still flourish and be prosperousC industrious and innovative. InshAllah, pluralism and multiculturalism and flourish in Bangladesh and Assam and Bihar can also one day join Bangladesh to form greater Bangladesh and safeguard the rights of Indian Muslims as well irregardless of whether they are Bengali, Assamese or Bihari Muslim, we shall respect all people and of course they should have a lingua Franca which can stay as Bengali and English. @Syed Hammad Ahmed

You’re not a Sylheti I am sorry Proud Muslim Sylheti Bangladeshi American here.

Looks who's the ethno-fascist deciding on purity.

I am sorry but you are wrong. There are other regional dialects that are very much "distinct" from the traditional Bengali. Try relating Bangla with authentic "Khaas" Noakhailla, for example. There is hardly any similarity. And in terms of population- greater Noakhali region (Nokhali, Chandpur, Feni, and parts of Kumilla)- who speak the same language, is also quite significant.

Nobody in Bangladesh denies anyone the right to speak in their own dialects or language. Everyone speaks in their own dialect and/or language in their respective areas. I have never come across any movement to make any regional language as an "official" language. If there is one, it is likely to be from a fringe group. Never ever heard it from any of my Sylheti or Chittagainga friends either. Because it is completely a "non-issue", no one really cares about this in Bangladesh apart from friendly banters.

No one region is greater than the other in Bangladesh. Every region has its own contribution.

The problem is- there is a very subtle but very active attempt here to promote "regionalism" in Bangladesh and create division, just as it exists in India. Too bad if you don't see it.

@mb444

Sylheti is not a regional dialect of Bengali and any cursory glance would show that it grammatically is closer to Assamese than Bengali. This is different to Noakhailla which is just a dialect of Bengali from what I have heard.

Anyway the language issue is not really an issue per se but I would like BD government to make it one of the official languages of BD and be taught, along with the script, to schoolchildren and be a co-official language with Bengali in Sylhet division. While BD government is not suppressing Sylheti in any way, it should be promoting it officially.

As for @SylhetiBDeshiAmerican , I do not believe that he is a false-flagger and only wants Sylhet's unique history, language and culture to be fully recognised within the BD union. He only lashed out as he thought that mb444 was disrespecting him.

There is zero regrets in Sylhet from joining BD and so no attempt to divide BD by regionalism has any chance of succeeding. In fact you would find that Sylhetis are on the whole more "anti-India" than BD'shi Bengali Muslims and so anyone trying that card is really barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
@mb444

Sylheti is not a regional dialect of Bengali and any cursory glance would show that it grammatically is closer to Assamese than Bengali. This is different to Noakhailla which is just a dialect of Bengali from what I have heard.

Anyway the language issue is not really an issue per se but I would like BD government to make it one of the official languages of BD and be taught, along with the script, to schoolchildren and be a co-official language with Bengali in Sylhet division. While BD government is not suppressing Sylheti in any way, it should be promoting it officially.

As for @SylhetiBDeshiAmerican , I do not believe that he is a false-flagger and only wants Sylhet's unique history, language and culture to be fully recognised within the BD union. He only lashed out as he thought that mb444 was disrespecting him.

There is zero regrets in Sylhet from joining BD and so no attempt to divide BD by regionalism has any chance of succeeding. In fact you would find that Sylhetis are on the whole more "anti-India" than BD'shi Muslims and so anyone trying that card is really barking up the wrong tree.

Amen Brother, in fact one of sole reason I have joined this thread is to tackle RSS menace and it’s extremism and racism against Indian and south Asian Muslims. Most Sylheti Bangladeshis are more pious Muslim compare to other division in Bangladesh and are proud Bangladeshi. I would consider myself fairly practicing Muslim as well although I could be better. So these wrongful acts should not be tolerated. All religion should be respected and cherished and there should not be extremism and racism against any kind, creed, and religious groups.Have a safe and blessed Ramadan everyone.

Last edited:
Amen Brother, in fact one of sole reason I have joined this thread is to tackle RSS menace and it’s extremism and racism against Indian and south Asian (Bangladeshi and Pakistani) Muslims. Most Sylhetis are more pious Muslim compare to other division in

Yes Sylhetis are more religiously conservative and so the idea that Sylhet would ever choose Hindu India over Muslim BD is the most fantastically absurd notion ever!

Like I have already said Sylhet's union with BD has been one of the most successful in the world and it will only get stronger in the future. Both parties have benefitted and will benefit immensely from each other.

BD is a strong and cohesive state unlike the two that it neighbours and so no need for anyone to worry if there is official recognition of Sylhet's uniqueness within the BD union. Sylhet 100% made the right choice in 1947 to join Pakistan(East Pakistan) and so is now part of BD.

Yes Sylhetis are more religiously conservative and so the idea that Sylhet would ever choose Hindu India over Muslim BD is the most fantastically absurd notion ever!

Like I have already said Sylhet's union with BD has been one of the most successful in the world and it will only get stronger in the future. Both parties have benefitted and will benefit immensely from each other.

BD is a strong and cohesive state unlike the two that it neighbours and so no need for anyone to worry if there is official recognition of Sylhet's uniqueness within the BD union. Sylhet 100% made the right choice in 1947 to join Pakistan(East Pakistan) and so is now part of BD.
Amen brother and almighty Allah saved us by joining EP (Bangladesh). Look at the state of Indian Muslims and how they are being discriminated and persecuted. Sylhetis are blessed proud to be Bangladeshi and are rightfully enjoying their hard earned prosperous living standard. In fact may Allah grants all Bangladeshis similar living standard. As you can tell I only want our language to be protected and preserved. Sylhet division in Bangladesh also has a rich Islamic heritage as well and Sylheti language is heavily influenced by its rich Islamic heritage as well.

Amen brother and almighty Allah saved us by joining EP (Bangladesh). Look at the state of Indian Muslims and how they are being discriminated and persecuted. Sylhetis are blessed proud to be Bangladeshi and are rightfully enjoying their hard earned prosperous living standard. In fact may Allah grants all Bangladeshis similar living standard. As you can tell I only want our language to be protected and preserved. Sylhet division in Bangladesh also has a rich Islamic heritage as well and Sylheti language is heavily influenced by its rich Islamic heritage as well.
You and @UKBengali ever heard the name of Sayed Mujtaba Ali, the great son of your soil?

In all honesty, Bangladesh is too small a place to be regionally oriented to any appreciable extent.

Speak Bengali.....Speak Sylheti....Whatever floats your boat.

Variety is the spice of life.

This is a manufactured agenda.

There are REAL problems from outside the borders.

False flagging hindutva scum.... offcourse will get triggered when he sees BDs not taking the bite.

Goes around calling people names and pretending insult has been given when not a single BDs here is expressed anything anti shyleti.

This indian hindutva scum does not realise that all part of BD is completely integrated and regionalism does not exist. There is no family in BD that has not married beyond its region. This nonsense wont work.

Shyleti languages culture is live and kicking and will continue to thrive along will all other variations in BD. Bangla is not and has never been a single thing....it is not seeking supremacy cause no such thing exist.... bangla is made up of all its constituents part off which shyleti is one. That does not mean it is not a language in its own right.

Let the hindutva burn in frustration.....he has comprehensively failed. Let him perpetuate his ficticious cause and give us all a good laugh.
You’re an ignorant and illiterate scum who cannot even comprehend something basic, did you even learn to critically read something do research on your own. There are many counties in the world like EU and Middle East that are smaller than Bangladesh. And Bangladesh will only get bigger once those sourrounding region of Bangladesh also chose to join it. Scums like you are the reasons for division. You must retarded that’s why you cannot even comprehend and distinguish basic facts based on observation.

Related but not same. Non Sylheti do not understand when they hear pure Sylheti or Jalalabadi.

Exactly brother, Sylheti is not same as Bengali lol even my Bangladeshi friends from other division have no clue when we speak in Pure Sylheti.

You and @UKBengali ever heard the name of Sayed Mujtaba Ali, the great son of your soil?
Never heard of him until now, I just research, he sound like he was a interesting man.

In all honesty, Bangladesh is too small a place to be regionally oriented to any appreciable extent.

Speak Bengali.....Speak Sylheti....Whatever floats your boat.

Variety is the spice of life.

This is a manufactured agenda.

There are REAL problems from outside the borders.
I know there are many other issues that Bangladesh faces, but there are many other countries in Europe and Middle East that are smaller than Bangladesh and have multiple official languages, that doesn’t give us the merit to slowly kills ones languages. Bangladesh will be blessed, many islands are created in southern part of the country with Himalayan silt with the blessing of Allah. Surrounding region of Bangladesh will one day will also join Bangladesh to form greater Bangladesh InshAllah as these people will demand better human rights and better standard of living.

False flagging hindutva scum.... offcourse will get triggered when he sees BDs not taking the bite.

Goes around calling people names and pretending insult has been given when not a single BDs here is expressed anything anti shyleti.

This indian hindutva scum does not realise that all part of BD is completely integrated and regionalism does not exist. There is no family in BD that has not married beyond its region. This nonsense wont work.

Shyleti languages culture is live and kicking and will continue to thrive along will all other variations in BD. Bangla is not and has never been a single thing....it is not seeking supremacy cause no such thing exist.... bangla is made up of all its constituents part off which shyleti is one. That does not mean it is not a language in its own right.

Let the hindutva burn in frustration.....he has comprehensively failed. Let him perpetuate his ficticious cause and give us all a good laugh.
Learn how to spell Sylhet first you Illiterate fool,
You’re the one is dying in frustration because you cannot fathom that Sylheti is actually language own its own right not a dialect of Bengali. Do not alienate us. Our hard work also contributed to Bangladeshi economy and Bangladesh will flourish even more InshAllah when Sylheti language is recognized in Bangladesh.

You’re an ignorant and illiterate scum who cannot even comprehend something basic, did you even learn to critically read something do research on your own. There are many counties in the world like EU and Middle East that are smaller than Bangladesh. And Bangladesh will only get bigger once those sourrounding region of Bangladesh also chose to join it. Scums like you are the reasons for division. You must retarded that’s why you cannot even comprehend and distinguish basic facts based on observation.

Exactly brother, Sylheti is not same as Bengali lol even my Bangladeshi friends from other division have no clue when we speak in Pure Sylheti.

Never heard of him until now, I just research, he sound like he was a interesting man.

I know there are many other issues that Bangladesh faces, but there are many other countries in Europe and Middle East that are smaller than Bangladesh and have multiple official languages, that doesn’t give us the merit to slowly kills ones languages. Bangladesh will be blessed, many islands are created in southern part of the country with Himalayan silt with the blessing of Allah. Surrounding region of Bangladesh will one day will also join Bangladesh to form greater Bangladesh InshAllah as these people will demand better human rights and better standard of living.

Learn how to spell Sylhet first you Illiterate fool,
You’re the one is dying in frustration because you cannot fathom that Sylheti is actually language own its own right not a dialect of Bengali. Do not alienate us. Our hard work also contributed to Bangladeshi economy and Bangladesh will flourish even more InshAllah when Sylheti language is recognized in Bangladesh.
And you are discussing about languages, one of the best linguistic ever born in undivided Bengal. Seriously if you guys don't know about him, should not speak about Bengali languages, let alone Sylheti.

Mate i live to alienate hindutva scum.... lol...

Run along and drink some cow cola..... your bullcrap is not working...
You’re a illiterate retarded scum, you cannot even read properly how are you going to stop it Sylheti language from becoming a fully fledged recognized language in Bangladesh in the near future ?

And you are discussing about languages, one of the best linguistic ever born in undivided Bengal. Seriously if you guys don't know about him, should not speak about Bengali languages, let alone Sylheti.
Valid point and I will research on him.

Last edited:
Alienating and disrespecting my fellow Sylheti Bangladeshis and our language will only cause division I am sure which you don’t want as Bangladesh has more pressing issues to tackle like the rise of RSS Menance in South Asia.

You wrote this by quoting my message. Find a single sentence in my post that alienates and disrespects Sylhet.

I challenge you.

Most Sylheti Bangladeshis are more pious Muslim compare to other division in Bangladesh and are proud Bangladeshi.

Only ALLAH can judge someone's religiosity. Any practicing Muslim will know that to not make comments like above.

What is this business of "US" Sylhetis? Everyone is Bangladeshi. Every region has a contribution to Bangladesh's economy. There is absolutely NO question of "US" Sylheti, Noakhailla, Chittagainga, or Dhakaiya. It is ONLY "US" Bangladeshis.

If this is not propagating "regionalism", then what is?

To summarize, you have very subtly-

1. Slipped in false accusations to play the victim
2. Sowed seeds of division by promoting regionalism

You are either extremely naive or someone with an agenda. I will leave that to Allah.

If you are being genuinely naive, I pray that Allah brings you to your senses.

But if you are someone with an agenda to create division among Bangladeshis, know that your plot is exposed.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom