What's new

Sylheti is a language on its own right.

@mb444 @SylhetiBDeshiAmerican

Guys you both just need to take a chill pill.

Let us proceed with some facts:

1. Sylheti is a language in it's own right with it's own script. It is not mutually intelligible with Bengali and is actually closer to Assamese than Bengali. There is no concrete evidence that Sylheti derived from Bengali which would make it a dialect.

2. Sylheti is not an official language in BD and that needs to change as it is the native language for 8% of the population that lives in Sylhet division. Schoolchildren need to be taught Sylheti script in school and it needs to be a co-official language in the division. Without government recognition then the language cannot thrive properly for obvious reasons.
Same needs to happen for Chittagonian.

3. The 3 major languages in BD in order of speakers and rough percentages are:

1. Bengali - 75-80%
2. Chittagonian - 10%
3. Sylheti - 8%

All 3 should become official languages of the state, with Bengali being the only one that spans the whole country.

The rest are insignificant and mostly to do with the tribals that are less than 1% of BD population.

1. Sylheti is a language in it's own right with it's own script. It is not mutually intelligible with Bengali and is actually closer to Assamese than Bengali. There is no concrete evidence that Sylheti derived from Bengali which would make it a dialect.

2. Sylheti is not an official language in BD and that needs to change as it is the native language for 8% of the population that lives in Sylhet division. Schoolchildren need to be taught Sylheti script in school and it needs to be a co-official language in the division. Without government recognition then the language cannot thrive properly for obvious reasons.

1. Bengali - 75-80%
2. Chittagonian - 10%
3. Sylheti - 8%

All 3 should become official languages of the state, with Bengali being the only one that spans the whole country.

The rest are insignificant and mostly to do with the tribals that are less than 1% of BD population.
Thanks brother for Clarifying it for him.

1. Bengali - 75-80%
2. Chittagonian - 10%
3. Sylheti - 8%

I resent this weirdos proposition that shyleties are marginalised.

What does it mean....make it a official language in shylet alongside bangla.... it already is. Do shyleti kids go to some special school or have special language classes.....no. how is it that in shylet everyone speaks shyleti?

The historical shyleti script is no big deal. If people wish to learn it who is stoping it?

Should GOB do something ..... someone needs to point out what needs to be done cause i am flumoxed as to how shyleti is much different from bangla....whatever the latter is that this kid imagines it to be.

My back ground is from dhaka, my wife is shyleti with loads of intermarriage between regions in the family. I am as yet to see any issues ever in my life.

Can anyone here actually give some concrete example of this being issue.

I will maintain this is a malicious and retarded thread.

Attaching the language tree....assamese is merely an offshoot of bangla.... chittagonian and shyleti....its all basicly the same thing....

If people wish to preserve uniqueness of these dialects.... as i said before...go ahead...no one is stopping it. Its not an issue.

tree.jpg

1. Bengali - 75-80%
2. Chittagonian - 10%
3. Sylheti - 8%

I am sorry but you are wrong. There are other regional dialects that are very much "distinct" from the traditional Bengali. Try relating Bangla with authentic "Khaas" Noakhailla, for example. There is hardly any similarity. And in terms of population- greater Noakhali region (Nokhali, Chandpur, Feni, and parts of Kumilla)- who speak the same language, is also quite significant.

Nobody in Bangladesh denies anyone the right to speak in their own dialects or language. Everyone speaks in their own dialect and/or language in their respective areas. I have never come across any movement to make any regional language as an "official" language. If there is one, it is likely to be from a fringe group. Never ever heard it from any of my Sylheti or Chittagainga friends either. Because it is completely a "non-issue", no one really cares about this in Bangladesh apart from friendly banters.

No one region is greater than the other in Bangladesh. Every region has its own contribution.

The problem is- there is a very subtle but very active attempt here to promote "regionalism" in Bangladesh and create division, just as it exists in India. Too bad if you don't see it.

Last edited:
I am sorry but you are wrong. There are other regional dialects that are very much "distinct" from the traditional Bengali. Try relating Bangla with authentic "Khaas" Noakhailla, for example. There is hardly any similarity. And in terms of population- greater Noakhali region (Nokhali, Chandpur, Feni, and parts of Kumilla)- who speak the same language, is also quite significant.

Nobody in Bangladesh denies anyone the right to speak in their own dialects or language. Everyone speaks in their own dialect and/or language in their respective areas. I have never come across any movement to make any regional language as an "official" language. If there is one, it is likely to be from a fringe group. Never ever heard it from any of my Sylheti or Chittagainga friends either. Because it is completely a "non-issue", no one really cares about this in Bangladesh apart from friendly banters.

No one region is greater than the other in Bangladesh. Every region has its own contribution.

The problem is- there is a very subtle but very active attempt here to promote "regionalism" in Bangladesh and create division, just as it exists in India. Too bad if you don't see it.

You probably know that the infamous "Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council " was founded by a Sylheti named Maj. Gen. (Rtd) C. R. Dutta. It is an Indian RAW implant. They are the one who is trying to open a new pressure point on BD should BD goes out of Indian sphere. Now they are asking about Sylheti language but the next phase is obviously separatism.
Anyone can open an account in PDF claiming to be whatever but you have to be watchful what they are asking.

Last edited:
You probably know that the infamous "Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council " was founded by a Sylheti named Maj. Gen. (Rtd) C. R. Dutta. It is an Indian RAW implant. They are the one who is trying to open a new pressure point on BD should BD goes out of Indian sphere.

Yes, very much so.

One of their members had lied to Trump about the conditions of minorities in Bangladesh. Truth cannot be further from what these groups are trying to propagate. It put SHW in such a spot, she could not even prosecute that woman who lied to Trump.

Then there are some fringe movements like Banga Bhumi or something along that line- calling for Hindus in Bengal for independence.

It's a concerted disinformation campaign, just like Balochistan.

You probably know that the infamous "Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council " was founded by a Sylheti named Maj. Gen. (Rtd) C. R. Dutta. It is an Indian RAW implant. They are the one who is trying to open a new pressure point on BD should BD goes out of Indian sphere. Now they are asking about Sylheti language but the next phase is obviously separatism.
Anyone can open an account in PDF claiming to be whatever but you have to be watchful what they are asking.

Well said. false flagging hindutva scum is barking up the wrong tree and throwing words like fascists around in an attempt to cause divisions.

As if BDs are so stupid or regional identity trumps being Bangladeshis.

Every regional variation has it place and everyone is free to do as they please. The GOB has no intention or need to suppress anything. The unity of bangladesh is build on its variations not despite it.

Yes, very much so.

One of their members had lied to Trump about the conditions of minorities in Bangladesh. Truth cannot be further from what these groups are trying to propagate. It put SHW in such a spot, she could not even prosecute that woman who lied to Trump.

Then there are some fringe movements like Banga Bhumi or something along that line- calling for Hindus in Bengal for independence.

It's a concerted disinformation campaign, just like Balochistan.

The biggest hotspots of these Indian sponsored campaigns in USA are in New York and Chicago.

Well said. false flagging hindutva scum is barking up the wrong tree and throwing words like fascists around in an attempt to cause divisions.

Every regional variation has it place and everyone is free to do as they please. The GOB has no intention or need to suppress anything. The unity of bangladesh is build on its variations not despite it.

You BD guys have to be very watchful to not encourage harmful separatist propaganda in this section.

One of their members had lied to Trump about the conditions of minorities in Bangladesh.

Because you say so?

Truth cannot be further from what these groups are trying to propagate.

Because you say so?

It put SHW in such a spot, she could not even prosecute that woman who lied to Trump.

Ah, yes a very credible woman with absolutely no agenda at all....no clampdown on mere cartoons.

BD is after all shining repository of transparency and institutionalism and credible democracy..."95% results" and everything. Truth (about minorities or otherwise) must permeate and surface extremely freely....obviously...duh!

After all BD not coloured blue "could not be further from the truth":

Electoral_democracies.png

Countries designated "electoral democracies" in Freedom House's Freedom in the World 2020 survey, covering the year 2019.

https://freedomhouse.org/sites/defa...0_List_of_Electoral_Democracies_FIW_2020.xlsx

I resent this weirdos proposition that shyleties are marginalised.

What does it mean....make it a official language in shylet alongside bangla.... it already is. Do shyleti kids go to some special school or have special language classes.....no. how is it that in shylet everyone speaks shyleti?

The historical shyleti script is no big deal. If people wish to learn it who is stoping it?

Should GOB do something ..... someone needs to point out what needs to be done cause i am flumoxed as to how shyleti is much different from bangla....whatever the latter is that this kid imagines it to be.

My back ground is from dhaka, my wife is shyleti with loads of intermarriage between regions in the family. I am as yet to see any issues ever in my life.

Can anyone here actually give some concrete example of this being issue.

I will maintain this is a malicious and retarded thread.

Attaching the language tree....assamese is merely an offshoot of bangla.... chittagonian and shyleti....its all basicly the same thing....

If people wish to preserve uniqueness of these dialects.... as i said before...go ahead...no one is stopping it. Its not an issue.

View attachment 630523

You’re a retarded and ignorant fascists. You are illiterate that is why you cannot even spell the word Sylhet properly and cannot, do not even have the mental capacity to comprehend what determines and distinguishes language. Your disrespect for it will only alienate Sylheti Bangladeshies you ignorant fascist. But thankfully most people from other district respect Sylhetis in Bangladesh, ignorant ethno fascist like yourself is the reason why have division amongst us.

Because you say so?

Because you say so?

Ah, yes a very credible woman with absolutely no agenda at all....no clampdown on mere cartoons.

BD is after all shining repository of transparency and institutionalism and credible democracy..."95% results" and everything. Truth (about minorities or otherwise) must permeate and surface extremely freely....obviously...duh!

After all BD not coloured blue "could not be further from the truth":

Electoral_democracies.png

Countries designated "electoral democracies" in Freedom House's Freedom in the World 2020 survey, covering the year 2019.

https://freedomhouse.org/sites/defa...0_List_of_Electoral_Democracies_FIW_2020.xlsx

Not because I say so, but that is what happened.

Right after her stunt, the Government declared she would be charged on sedition. https://www.thehindu.com/news/inter...norities-being-persecuted/article28621459.ece

But this is what happened in the end-

"However, Mr Quader on Sunday said PM Hasina has disapproved the move to file sedition charges against Ms Saha without obtaining her explanation on her comments.

"The prime minister last night sent me a message (from the UK where she is on an official tour), saying no legal action was required to be initiated hastily," Mr Quader told a media briefing at the party's Dhanmandi office."

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/cas...told-trump-about-persecution-rejected-2072947

Guess what? Even SHW worries about "American Freedom" coming to BD.

And you can stop with the copy-pasting of the 95% blurb. I am no fan of SHW.

As for the so-called claims by "Priya Saha"- even her own organization HBCUC had to distance themselves for fear of losing face with Bangladeshi people.

"The HBCUC, meanwhile, distanced itself from Ms. Saha’s comments with one of its leaders saying that her comments were her own and that she did not represent the Council in the meeting with the US President."

So much for credibility.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/inter...norities-being-persecuted/article28621459.ece

Are there some interesting books written in Sylheti language such as dictionaries, Grammer etc ? A newspaper ? Cooking books for Sylheti caterings ?
You need an established literature to be considered an independent language. Government can never give birth a language by enacting laws. Do you also expect your government to create even the Sylheti literature for you ? Even in Bengali proper , there are not many quality materials available besides poetry/ novels if you talk about higher academic education.
https://omniglot.com/writing/syloti.htm

As for the so-called claims by "Priya Saha"- even her own organization HBCUC had to distance themselves for fear of losing face with Bangladeshi people.

More like fear of being hacked with machetes one fine morning or evening when out on a bike ride. "Mysterious assailants" blah blah....just like that street protest drama that got zero coverage on BD media...but we all saw the truth in facebook vids.

Totally nothing to see here folks:

https://theconversation.com/conserv...desh-and-curbing-freedom-of-expression-128692

https://www.dw.com/en/zero-tolerance-bangladesh/av-43427496

This video totally doesnt have nearly a million views:

But I'm sure this thread definitely will.

recognizing and accepting linguistic diversity doesn’t mean separatism, it’s mean humans respecting universal human rights you illiterate fool , but disregarding their heritage and not respecting it will cause division thus I asked this ignorant fascist to be respectful in his conversation and be respectful of Sylheti language and Sylhet Divisions rich heritage within Bangladesh. Otherwise this fascist himself will be the reason for this division. Sylheti language preservation and protection and declaring it a official language of Sylhet division in Bangladesh along with Bengali does not mean regionalism, it means protecting rich diversity of the Sylhet divisions and and its heritage within Bangladesh, but fascist and illiterate and ignorant fool like you who cannot distinguish the differences between language and dialect are part of the root problem for this division. Sylhetis are proud Bangladeshies and Sylheti language needs it’s recognition as it is long overdue, you cannot erase it from Sylhet division in Bangladesh you fascist illiterate scum.

The Sylheti language
Sylheti [sometimes spelt Sylhetti, Siloṭi, or Syloti] is the main language of the Surma and Kushiara valleys of Sylhet Division in Bangladesh and the Barak valley region of Assam, India. It is spoken by over 10 million people, and is related both to Assamese and to the rural dialects of eastern Bengal, but with a high proportion of words derived from Persian and Arabic, and its own distinct grammar.

spotlight-poi2_hdpi.png

vt

vt

vt

vt

Use two fingers to move the map

spotlight-poi2_hdpi.png

Map data ©2020

Terms of Use

50 km

There are two things that make Sylheti an important language in its own right, and not a colloquial or 'peasant' corruption of Bengali as some have alleged. Firstly, Sylheti is the language of choice not just of the illiterate, but also of educated Sylhetis who can function well in Bengali when they choose to. Secondly, Sylheti is the only regional language related to Bengali which developed its own folk literature in its own script.
http://www.sylheti.org.uk/sylheti

http://www.sylotilanguage.com/

http://m.thedailynewnation.com/news/246977/sylheti-language-ranks-worlds-top-100-spoken-languages

https://www.dhakatribune.com/world/...ked-among-100-most-spoken-languages-worldwide

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom