What's new

Survey: Most Israeli Jews would support apartheid regime in Israel

I dont care what the bible says it is corrupted, they have portrayed jesus ad a white man with blue eyed abd blonde hair for centuries becausr they couldnt worship a middle eastern man with black hair

light and white are two different things there is nothing wrong with being white but white russians europpeans and americans claiming to be from the middle east

no no no thats a sick colonial joke that the jews will pay for

its a sick joke when millions of white peoplw who happwn to be jewish claim to be more middle eastetn then the middle easterners

I didnt know we had a geneticist and evolutionary biologist amongst us!!

I dont care what the bible says it is corrupted, they have portrayed jesus ad a white man with blue eyed abd blonde hair for centuries becausr they couldnt worship a middle eastern man with black hair

Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds? I am a Christian, and all the Jesus pictures that I have seen in India, Jesus has had black hair. BTW where in the bible does it talk about Jesus' looks :confused:

light and white are two different things there is nothing wrong with being white but white russians europpeans and americans claiming to be from the middle east

What colonialism? Israel is a Jewish state and anyone can be Jewish whatever his/her ethnicity.

Indeed. Saudi Arabia has separate roads for Muslims and Non Muslims even though they dont face any existential threats. But oh no, that isnt a problem, only when its the evil Jews it is :lol:

Take a look:

k2BHb.jpg

When I first saw this sign I was shocked. It was the first time I felt that I was being labeled.

:disagree:

I dont care what the bible says it is corrupted
U may think its corrupted as much as u wish, but u cant change the fact that its written by middle eastern people over 2000 years ago.

they have portrayed jesus ad a white man with blue eyed abd blonde hair for centuries becausr they couldnt worship a middle eastern man with black hair
No, Bible says nothing about Jesus' looks. But its quite possible that he was blond.

Once again. Muhammad had very white skin. There are also plenty blond Palestinians, Syrians, Lebanese.

You are a joke, with your complexes about skin color.

Its because only Muslims can visit Makkah.

LOL isn't it what Apartheid it. Yeah these guys can visit the beach, these guys cannot. These guys go to that good looking restaurant over there , the others can go to that crap one over there.

I'm shocked at Indians in this forum, they have an ill mentality, I think I could see them being a colony of Israel in the future

Hey , how many Armenians did you blow up today?

Just to **** with the Israelis.
The fact remains that Israel is a multi-ethnic, multi-sectarian society. If you want to see true apartheid you have to visit its northern neighbor, Lebanon.

Jews like 500 and I have nothing to be ashamed of. You do.

logo.gif
world.png

1018.thumbnail.jpg
Posted by Toaha Qureshi

The wailing wall of Israel
May 26, 2012

11643-IsraeliflagandkidReuters-1337941977-550-640x480.jpg

Israel was not the garrison state it was branded to be in the media. No scary atmosphere. No guns totting policemen. No siren-blazing police cars buzzing around; as commonly seen in London. PHOTO: REUTERS

Perhaps we have all heard the oft repeated joke; when an American tourist came to Israel with the intention of visiting the Kotel (the Wailing Wall) but he forgot what it was called. When he stepped into a taxi, he said to the driver,

Can you please take me to the place where all Jews cry? Do you know where this is?

The taxi driver answered,

Beseder – I’ll take you there.

And he drove him straight to the taxation office!

When I stepped outside the Easy Jet terminal on Tel Aviv International Airport, I felt chills travelling down my spine. They were partly due to the baggage of history being a British Pakistani entering Israel, perhaps the most hated place on earth in Pakistan, its ideological twin; and mainly, it was the weather.

Tel Aviv was almost bordering zero degrees with strong winds that made it feel even worse; I had left London basking in glorious sunshine that resembled more of spring than fall.

However my racing heart started calming down when we entered the modern airport building. It all looked like the usual business day. There were passengers trolling their luggage and scurrying around. The airport staff was amicable and polite. We were showered with smiles, which was quite unusual for immigration staff at an international airport.

Quite importantly, there were no armed policemen around; compared to the British airport we flew from.

Gradually I noticed my group members, mostly senior British Pakistani businessmen, easing up which might sound a little odd, us being in Israel and all.

Our next few days in Israel were spent on a rollercoaster.

We had been travelling, attending meetings, speaking at receptions, engaging in discussions and waiting for the most coveted moment of our lives; offering Friday prayers at al Aqsa Mosque which is one of the three holiest places in Islam.

My trip to Israel was myth-shattering in several ways.

Israel was not the garrison state it was branded to be in the media. No scary atmosphere. No guns totting policemen.
No siren-blazing police cars buzzing around; as commonly seen in London.

Surprisingly enough, Israeli chefs at the Grand Beech Hotel, when they figured out my Pakistani roots, knew how to prepare the big spicy mother of omelettes for the hectic day ahead.

Amongst many of my discoveries, I found out that Zionism had a separate existence from Judaism. This, I found out, when two orthodox Jews criticised Israeli atrocities on my flight from London to Tel Aviv. I was also kind of shocked when I heard from a senior retired air force officer ’what America blundered by creating a ****** industry in Afghanistan and Pakistan; Israelis floundered by supporting Hamas against al Fatah’.

I met Israeli businessmen who whined about Israel’s isolation in the global fraternity due to its Zionist movers and shakers.

We were invited by the Federation of the Israeli Chamber of Commerce and Industry to look into its technologically advanced market economy.

Being the 24th largest economy in the world, and ranking 17th among 187 world nations on the UN Human Development Index, Israel’s economy also ranks 17th amongst the world’s most economically developed nations.

I was shocked when a senior Israeli businessman mentioned that the leading Israeli manufacturer of tankers, aircraft refuelers, fire fighting trucks, armoured vehicles and special purpose trailers, Hatehof Ltd., provided Pakistan’s Air Force with military equipment under a clandestine contract through Turkey; which was used in the much acclaimed JF Thunder aircraft. An Israeli press television aired a similar broadcast as well.

As the trip was organised from a business perspective, we missed the chance of visiting Palestinian areas, particularly the Gaza Strip. When I contrasted the developed State of Israel with underprivileged areas of the Palestinian territory, the Israelis claimed that they had handed control to Palestinian authorities who wanted to keep it as it is to showcase their miseries.

They also blamed rampant corruption in Palestinian authorities as another source of underdevelopment. The construction of the wall to isolate Palestinian areas from Israeli areas, an act of raising barriers, in the 21st century, in which humanity claims to have come a long way from since demolition of the Berlin Wall, however, does raise questions;

I roamed Jerusalem donning a keffiyeh; a traditional Arab headdress fashioned from square cotton; a scarf made popular by Yasser Arafat.

Past the Wailing Wall, I saw two fully armed Israeli soldiers in an alert position for the first time and stopped there to recollect ourselves. As a memento, we took a photograph of the contradictory scene that captured us.

The photograph shows the three faces cracking wide grins, holding guns with barrels that reached the ground; a weird mix of guns and roses.

It made me wonder if roses will have conquered guns by the time I make my next visit to the Holy Land; which, I thought, was definitely spacious enough to accommodate all Abrahamic faiths.

The fact remains that Israel is a multi-ethnic, multi-sectarian society. If you want to see true apartheid you have to visit its northern neighbor, Lebanon.

If anything, Lebanon is more deserving to the title of multicultural society than is Israel. And it doesn't discriminate among citizens the way Israel does. Lebanon's worst sin is still the fact that it gives more weight to Christian than to Muslim votes. But I doubt that is what you have in mind when you denounce Lebanon as apartheid, considering your own extremist rhetoric against Muslims.

But Lebanon does none of the things below against Lebanese citizens only because of religion, and that is something your selected, shallow, feel-good articles by paid propagandists don't refute:

Written by Sarah Schulman, Jewish LGBT activist:

- Property:
Israel has no constitution or any law guaranteeing individual liberties. All the base documents focus on ensuring the Jewish character of the state and privileging Jewish institutions. So, Arab Israeli citizens' land and homes are often viewed as non-residential property. So their homes and land are regularly seized to construct Jewish settlements, or to give housing to Jews.
East Jerusalem residents often have their citizenship revoked to make way for land appropriation.

When has any Jewish citizen of Israel gotten their citizenship revoked because the state wanted their property?

- Education:

There are segregated educational systems. Palestinians attend different schools than Jews. If a Palestinian should make it into an Israeli University, no courses are offered in Arabic, including Arabic Literature.

- Language:

Use of Arabic road signs are banned in cities that that government determines are "mixed."

- Marriage Rights:

Palestinian citizens of Israel cannot confer citizenship on their partners who are not already Israeli citizens, through marriage. Jews have this right.

- Identification:

Palestinian citizens of Israel have asterisks on their passports that Jews do not have.

- Free Speech:

The new "Boycott Law" prohibits citizens of Israel from supporting the nonviolence economic boycott of Israeli state sponsored institutions.

- Employment:

Priority in employment is given to veterans, and Palestinians are prohibited from serving in the army, and so are legally discriminated against in employment. [But even the Druzes, who do serve in the army, don't have better employment rates than other Israeli Arab groups. -- RFS]

- Legal Rights:

There are many laws keeping Palestinians who have been arrested from access to speedy trial, fair legal representation and clear charges, all are available to Jews.

- Daily Life:

Palestinians are constantly harassed, searched and asked to produce identification, based entirely on race.Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela have testified that Israel's separate systems of rights based on religion meets the definition of Apartheid.

If anything, Lebanon is more deserving to the title of multicultural society than is Israel. And it doesn't discriminate among citizens the way Israel does. Lebanon's worst sin is still the fact that it gives more weight to Christian than to Muslim votes. But I doubt that is what you have in mind when you denounce Lebanon as apartheid, considering your own extremist rhetoric against Muslims.
Yes it is, as well as Lebanon's de-legitimization and abuse of its Palestinians.

Exactly. Cultures differ, we need to stop applying the European standards to the Middle East. Semitic peoples are generally very ethnoentric and there is nothing wrong with that. The Jews do not consider the Paliestinian people as native and vice versa.

The Paliestinians would have treated the Jews the same way as other Arabs treat the non native populations.

Then why dont you westerners show this same apologist attitude towards arab countries?

THE TIMES OF ISRAEL

NOVEMBER 8, 2012, 8:20 AM

Gilead-Ini-medium.jpg

Gilead Ini is a senior research analyst at CAMERA, where his writing on media coverage of the Arab-Israeli conflict highlights how one-sided and inaccurate reporting can distort understanding of the Middle East
Gilead's website

T
hey say a lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. And with communication technology like Facebook and Twitter, this has never been more true than today.

But what happens once the truth is fully dressed? What if, to take the travel analogy a bit further, the lie continues to circulate unhindered because the truth lives in an unpopular, under-served neighborhood, which discriminatory taxi drivers prefer to avoid?

This is what seemed to happen after the Israeli newspaper Haaretz published a widely criticized and inaccurate article about a public opinion poll about Israeli attitudes. Journalists on Twitter were quick to spread misinformation about the poll, but did not appear to think the facts that quickly emerged were worth sharing .

Prominent among the many problems with the Haaretz article, written by anti-Israel columnist Gideon Levy, was its outrageous and false headline: “Survey: Most Israeli Jews support apartheid regime in Israel.” As many observers quickly pointed out, the survey contained no such finding — the headline was a complete lie.

Indeed, notwithstanding spin by the author and the false headline, which Haaretz would eventually change after conceding that it “did not accurately reflect” the survey’s findings, a reader looking through the article for evidence of a poll question about support for apartheid would find nothing at all.

CNN and NPR reporters convey a lie
That didn’t stop a number of mainstream journalists from sharing the article’s headline and other fabricated findings with many thousands of Twitter users.

To his nearly 78,000 followers on the social network, Andy Carvin, a “senior strategist at NPR,” sent a link to the Gideon Levy piece along with a version of the inaccurate headline:

Andy Carvin
✔
@acarvin
Survey: Most Israeli Jews would support apartheid regime in Israel haaretz.com/news/national/…
23 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite​

CNN’s Ben Wedeman, who has nearly 83,000 Twitter followers, did the same:

benwedeman
✔
@bencnn
Haaretz: "Survey: Most Israeli Jews would support apartheid regime in #Israel" bit.ly/X6t5YY
23 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite​

Another CNN reporter on Twitter went even further. Ivan Watson, who describes himself as a CNN correspondent based in Istanbul, told his 28,000 followers:

Ivan Watson@IvanCNN
Majority of Israelis surveyed support apartheid haaretz.com/news/national/… 74% like separate roads for Israelis/Palestinians in occupied West Bank
25 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite​

In less than 140 characters, the CNN reporter in Turkey shared not one, but two flagrant lies. Regarding West Bank roads, the survey found the exact opposite of what Watson claimed. A large majority of those polled, 67%, said the security restrictions on certain West Bank roads were “not a good situation,” even if many viewed it as a necessary measure. Another 9% responded that they do not know whether it is a good or bad situation, leaving only 24% who described it as good.

And again, as Noam Shelef of the liberal New Israel Fund pointed out, “claiming the poll demonstrates support for ‘apartheid’ is spin at its worst.” But with the help of Twitter, those lies traveled halfway around the world.

‘Retweets are not endorsements’
Many Twitter users include a caveat on their homepage noting that “retweets are not endorsements.” That is to say, if they bring a particular article or statement to the attention of their readers, it does not necessarily mean they support the message they are sharing.

Not necessarily. But what does it mean if a journalist shares factually incorrect information, if the article they share gets exposed as dishonest and distorted in a number of serious analyses, if somebody on Twitter brings to the journalist’s attention one of those analyses, and if despite all this, the journalist opts not to inform his misled readers of the facts?

With one click from Andy Carvin and Ben Wedeman, the NPR and CNN journalists, 160,000 people received notice that “most Israeli Jews would support [an] apartheid regime in Israel.” And because Twitter is largely about re-sharing, countless additional users would eventually see the journalists’ message. The next day, a Twitter user — the author of this article — brought to Carvin and Wedeman’s attention a detailed rebuttal of the Haaretz article, which left no doubt that the statement they helped spread was patently false. The same Twitter user also suggested they had an ethical obligation to inform their readers of the rebuttal:

benwedeman
✔
@bencnn 23 Oct 12
Haaretz: "Survey: Most Israeli Jews would support apartheid regime in #Israel" bit.ly/X6t5YY

Gilead Ini@GileadIni
@bencnn Ben, I hope you agree you have an ethical obligation to share this piece that disproves your tweet: storify.com/avimayer/haare… @avimayer
24 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Andy Carvin
✔
@acarvin 23 Oct 12
Survey: Most Israeli Jews would support apartheid regime in Israel haaretz.com/news/national/…

Gilead Ini@GileadIni
@acarvin I hope you'll agree you have an ethical obligation to share this rebuttal that disproves tweet. storify.com/avimayer/haare… @avimayer
24 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite​

Setting the record straight, too, would have required only one click. But the correction was not forthcoming. The failure on the part of both journalists to quickly examine and share the new information that came to their attention is reason for concern. When they put before tens of thousands of people such a serious allegation, and choose not to forthrightly let them know that the content of their tweet was false, it raises the question: Why would they want people to read Levy’s inflammatory story, but not want them to know that the story is full of misrepresentations?

Ethics apply — even on Twitter
Much has been written about journalistic ethics on Twitter. While there may be some debate on specifics, few disagree that journalistic guidelines, not least a commitment to accuracy, should continue to apply to news reporters online.

The chapter on “social media” in NPR’s Ethics Handbook tells reporters, “don’t behave any differently online than you would in any other public setting.”

[T]he general standard is simple: Tweet and retweet as if what you’re saying or passing along is information that you would put on the air or in a “traditional” NPR.org news story. If it needs context, attribution, clarification or “knocking down,” provide it.​

In an interview with the Center for International Media Ethics, journalist and professor Steve Buttry argued that “Nothing is more important than accuracy and verification. That doesn’t change with using Twitter.”

He continued: “Journalists get deceived by dishonest sources or give undue credibility to sources who don’t know what they are talking about in in-person interviews and telephone interviews. And they make those errors on Twitter, too.”

So how can journalists take care to avoid making these errors on Twitter?

Buttry suggests that reporters treat Twitter as they would any other form of media, adding that the same good journalistic sense that is applied to in-person, phone or email reporting should also be applied to Twitter reporting.

Good journalistic sense should have led Wedeman and Carvin, whose Twitter pages make clear their affiliation with CNN and NPR, respectively, to seek substantiation before passing along the inflammatory charge that most Israelis support apartheid. They would have found, as noted above, that such substantiation does not exist — not in the poll, and not even in the body of the Haaretz article — which is why Haaretz was forced to correct its headline. Good journalistic sense certainly should have prevented Ivan Watson, CNN’s correspondent in Istanbul, from adding embellishments of his own about Israelis “liking” restrictions on West Bank roads, when in fact the opposite is true.

It was on October 23 that Carvin, who apparently has somewhat of a reputation for Twitter diligence, and Wedeman, who has previously revealed jaundiced views about Israel both on Twitter and on CNN.com, posted Haaretz’s misinformation to their Twitter accounts. On October 24, they each received a message on the social network informing them that their information was false and suggesting they have a journalistic obligation to update their readers.

But as the days passed, and the journalists continued to post unrelated information to Twitter, their readers received no notice about the actual findings of the misrepresented poll. Even on October 28, when Haaretz admitted fault by changing the headline and publishing a clarification, their Twitter followers were kept in the dark.

Nearly a week after they were first contacted, CAMERA sent a follow-up email to Carvin and Wedeman, asking for on-the-record comment:

I’m writing an article about journalists who shared on twitter Gideon Levy’s “apartheid” story, but never bothered to similarly share with their readers the subsequent, substantive disproof by a number of observers or the correction by Ha’aretz. Even Levy himself has admitted error.
As a reminder, I did tweet to your attention evidence that Levy was profoundly mischaracterizing the survey, but unless I’m mistaken, you opted not to share any such evidence with your twitter followers.
Your comments on this are welcomed.​

Carvin quickly responded that he was in the middle of a hurricane and would look into the issue later. But when he was first notified of the inaccuracy, the storm was still far off in the Caribbean.

Wedeman responded that “retweets do not amount to an endorsement.”

Shortly after CAMERA informed them that there would be an article about the issue, the two journalists posted to Twitter a link to an article by Gideon Levy, most of which was devoted to reiterating his accusations of Israeli racism and attacking those who exposed his falsehoods, but which also included a grudging apology for his misinformation. Wedeman’s post gave no indication that the link had anything to with the falsehood he had earlier shared.

Carvin’s retweet stated, confusingly:

Gideon Levy agrees with Israelis would accept apartheid only if their preference for two states cannot be realized.

Hardly a clear indication that his earlier charge about the poll was false.

The two journalists never made a clear statement on Twitter that the headline they shared was inaccurate and had been corrected, and neither journalist shared with readers a third-party critique of Gideon Levy’s story in Haaretz.

Ivan Watson seemed to have even fewer qualms about misinforming his readers. He was told via Twitter on November 1 that both of his statements were patently false. As of this writing, he has not informed his Twitter followers that he was wrong, has not linked to a critique of the article, and has not indicated in any way that Haaretz and Levy corrected their article.

According to Bible king David was blond. According to Hadith Muhammad had very white skin.

Sorry for bursting ur bubble :wave:

Jews arent as white/blond as you say
Atleast not the indnian/african/latino/pakistani ones you import; how do you explain their right?

Once again. Muhammad had very white skin. There are also plenty blond Palestinians, Syrians, Lebanese..

Yes, yet you choose to apartheid them.
Also, I knew this palestinian, he was one of the nicest people i knew

When was the last time a black got to be the president/PM/Parliamentarian of isr?

Yes it is, as well as Lebanon's de-legitimization and abuse of its Palestinians.

Actaully my friend who was a palestinian was too embarrassed to have anything to do with Israel/Palestine. He liked jordan a lot

When was the last time a black got to be the president/PM/Parliamentarian of isr?
2007. link I think Israel elected its first black parliamentarian some time ago.

Actaully my friend who was a palestinian was too embarrassed to have anything to do with Israel/Palestine. He liked jordan a lot
Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom