What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

@sancho : any visible changes in 055(-1 ???) from other prototypes ???

056 and 057 will have some changes after static tests.
one of these models 056 or 057 would be a static frame for rcs measurement and we may see some changes after those.

but not much

@sancho : any visible changes in 055(-1 ???) from other prototypes ???

Yes, the made some design optimations at the APU intakes or the wing tips. It also is testing different systems, the MAWS for example are not installed, but DIRCM turrets and LWR.

Only because we haven't seen them, doesn't mean they weren't done yet. Till the recent pics with external payloads came out, we only had seen pics with external pylons, which doesn't mean they wouldn't had made weapon trials earlier. Internal carriage and weapon trials obviously are not that visible and would require official pics to be released.
Wrt the weapon pack, I would be more interested in what weapon pack IAF aims for FGFA. It is crucial for us to have an own operational requirement and chose weapons that not only fit to the weapon bays, but also fits to those requirements. So we should only choose those Russain weapons that are good for us and not just everything that is available, just like we shouldn't take any Indian weapon, only because it's Indian.

I am sure we will choose RVV-SD, what worriers me is that IWBs will not be deep enough and they will not be able to carry 8 AAMs as sources say.

Perhaps Pak Fa will carry only 1 BVR per IWB (main IWB.) Of coarse I am not expert.

What do you think?

I am sure we will choose RVV-SD, what worriers me is that IWBs will not be deep enough and they will not be able to carry 8 AAMs as sources say.

Perhaps Pak Fa will carry only 1 BVR per IWB (main IWB.) Of coarse I am not expert.

What do you think?

It's not the depth but the width of the weapon bay that is important for how many missiles could be carried. So far we are speculating mainly, but it is estimated that the space between the air intakes of the T50 is wider than at the Su 35. The latter is shown to be able to carry 2 R77 next to each other on new twin launchers, which means 4 in total.
So if that fighter can carry 2 and the T50 has more space, which is also not limited by pylons, I expect at least 3 can be carried in each bay, so a total of 6.
The rear bay is not as deep as the front bay, which makes it likely that the front bay will carry bigger A2G weapons, while the rear bay will carry BVR missiles in any role. And if the housings below the wing really can hold 1 R73 each, we talk about at least 2 WVR + 3 BVR missiles in any role (F22 2 + 2, F35 0 + 2).

However, as I said earlier, we have to look at a dedicated weapon pack for our fighters with internal weapon bays. A MICA with 70 to 100Km range is far better for a stealth fighter, than a METEOR, AIM 120D, or latest R77 version with high maximum range, because a stealth fighter can get far closer to it's target without being detected and can launch it's weapon from within the no escape zone and with higher kill probability. Just like several GPS guided stand off weapons like SPICE 250 or SDB will be more benificiary than large LGBs like Sudarshan.

Last edited:
1097473_original.jpg

1097463_original.jpg

Today I became to know that during test flights in Moscow a Russian fifth generation fighter T-50 caught fire, while carrying out a test flight. Online immediately rumors said that it was lost.

Photos of the successful landing. Now it will recover and appointed a committee investigating the incident.

Критерием истины является опыт. - June 10th, 2014

Fifth-generation fighter T-50 caught fire on landing in Moscow

Russian fifth generation fighter T-50 (PAK FA project), carrying out a test flight in Moscow on Tuesday ignited during landing, told RIA Novosti source in the Russian power structures.

The incident occurred at the Gromov Flight Research Institute airfield "Ramenskoye.""According to preliminary data, the T-50 was a failure of one of the power plants and during the landing there was a small fire plating. People were not injured, the hearth fire was extinguished quickly," - said the agency interlocutor.Circumstances of the incident are being investigated.

Истребитель пятого поколения Т-50 загорелся при посадке в Подмосковье | РИА Новости

Sukhoi's message over the incident with the T-50 aircraft

Moscow, June 10. Today after the regular test flight of the T-50 aircraft at the airfield of the M.M.Gromov Flight Research Institute in Zhukovsky near Moscow, while the plane was landing, a smoke above the right air intake was observed, then a local fire broke out. The fire was quickly extinguished. The plane is to be repaired. There were no injuries. The Sukhoi Design Bureau set up a commission that will investigate the causes of the accident. This incident will not affect the timing of the T-50 test program.

Sukhoi Company (JSC) - News - News

The problem is the bad google translator, had to bring some sense in the parts that I posted too, maybe @vostok can give us a better translation.

The damage however seems to be right above the air intake, but there seems to be credible damage at the fuselage too.

The problem is the bad google translator, had to bring some sense in the parts that I posted too, maybe @vostok can give us a better translation.

The damage however seems to be right above the air intake, but there seems to be credible damage at the fuselage too.
"landing of aircraft T-50 observed smoke blanketing above the right air intake, then there was a local fire. It was quickly extinguished. Plane subject to recovery".

Back
Top Bottom