What's new

Students develop rover bot that can detect human movement, bombs

Veeru

BANNED
Reaction score
Students develop rover bot that can detect human movement, bombs

CHENNAI: In a bid to help the jawans stationed on the borders, three students of St Joseph's Engineering College have designed a real time border surveillance rover bot that can monitor, detect human presence and bombs. :cheers:

The bot is touted to help the jawans detect infiltration of terrorists into the country.

The three students -- Arokia Rinaldo A, Gratus Iruthaya Kisho and Hariharan -- share the same bench in the class room. "The extreme weather conditions are taking a toll on the health and lives of the jawans. This robot can ease their burden," said Rinaldo.

It took the trio two months and Rs 5,000 to design the machine. The bot keeps moving and captures real time visuals and transmits it to a base station. It can monitor a distance of half a kilometer and sense human presence and also detect bombs using ultrasonic and passive infrared sensors.
:yahoo:

It also automatically avoids obstacles on the way and takes an alternate route. "The video is transmitted using 3G network and received by 3G-enabled mobile devices. It can be controlled manually too," said Kisho.

The semi-autonomous rover bot can be used in extreme weather conditions. "These machines can deployed along the border and the Border Security Force and army jawans can monitor the movements from a base camp a few metres away," said Hariharan. "The body of the robots will vary depending on the terrain."

The college management will be writing to the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) seeking for a demonstration of the machine. "I am sure they will be interested as it is a novel idea," said B Babu Manoharan, the director of the college.

The students are planning to improve the functions of the robot by adding other features. "They are planning to have a facility that can detect known human structures. "If the feature of the human being does not match with that of the jawans, it will alert the base camp. Based on instructions, it can even shoot down the intruder," said Rinaldo.

Students develop gadget that can detect bombs - The Times of India

A ground based unmanned vehicle is not suitable for this purpose as it cannot cover a large distance but if armed forces depoly UAVs for this purpose it will be much better and cheaper as a single UAV can monitor a large area rather than a rover.

A ground based unmanned vehicle is not suitable for this purpose as it cannot cover a large distance but if armed forces depoly UAVs for this purpose it will be much better and cheaper as a single UAV can monitor a large area rather than a rover.
this will be smaller in size means that no threat, like this will be useful only near border or terrorists direct attacks.

^^^
Yeah i understood that from the article but we don't have a small border, we will need thousands of these, instead we should go for an aerial vehicle, even a small aerial vehicle can cover a relatively very large area. As far as bombs and IEDs are concerned, their are payloads for that also. I don't think anyone will go for this.

^^^
Yeah i understood that from the article but we don't have a small border, we will need thousands of these, instead we should go for an aerial vehicle, even a small aerial vehicle can cover a relatively very large area. As far as bombs and IEDs are concerned, their are payloads for that also. I don't think anyone will go for this.

But the students who have developed this rover should be appreciated. Big clap for three idiots

^^^
i mean both army men are fighting behind fences / sand bags etc.. there is no chance/time to rely on areal vehicles. It can be used at terrorists attacks in railway stations , buildings etc . Ex 26/11 incident,parliament attack.
No doubt it is not going to be useful in conflicts but , it can be attached with heavy UMV like what you said where they cannot go with out hiding or it can be carried by helicopters to get rid of enemy camps.

But the students who have developed this rover should be appreciated. Big clap for three idiots
I don't know about you but i have made similar things a couple yeas ago in my undergrad and i agree with you, what they made may appear to be simple but actually is very difficult.

i mean both army men are fighting behind fences / sand bags etc.. there is no chance/time to rely on areal vehicles.
UAVs and MAVs now can give real time information on the laptop. As per FINSAS program soldiers will given palmtops and laptops and they will get the real time infos on their respective equipments from the UAVs deployed in the area. UAV is the most ideal and cheap way to deal with border threat.

It can be used at terrorists attacks in railway stations , buildings etc . Ex 26/11 incident,parliament attack.
Doing what exactly ?

No doubt it is not going to be useful in conflicts but , it can be attached with heavy UMV like what you said where they cannot go with out hiding or it can be carried by helicopters to get rid of enemy camps.
I don't really understand what u r saying man from tactical point of view. It can get rid of terrorist camps when carried by helicopters ? Why would helicopter carry this when they already have dedicated payloads for this purpose. The Dhruv WSI has all these features except motion detector as motion detector is of no use if you have eyes plus no motion detector can work from that height and that speed.

I don't know about you but i have made similar things a couple yeas ago in my undergrad and i agree with you, what they made may appear to be simple but actually is very difficult.

UAVs and MAVs now can give real time information on the laptop. As per FINSAS program soldiers will given palmtops and laptops and they will get the real time infos on their respective equipments from the UAVs deployed in the area. UAV is the most ideal and cheap way to deal with border threat.

Doing what exactly ?

I don't really understand what u r saying man from tactical point of view. It can get rid of terrorist camps when carried by helicopters ? Why would helicopter carry this when they already have dedicated payloads for this purpose. The Dhruv WSI has all these features except motion detector as motion detector is of no use if you have eyes plus no motion detector can work from that height and that speed.
They are intelligent, they used 3g video calling facility, lappys are huge compared to phone
camps doesnt mean tents alone
using dedicated payloads mean to kill the enemy for sure. But Indian requirement is different, catch him alive ,spend crores on him.:lol:
in rly stations,
carrrying 10kg payload like short gun,chloroform etc and a man cannot enter when terrorists had taken control of room with 30 people, there we can use these for estimation.
And i dont mean that this is ultimo as im doing almost similar thing, but this is some what easier for known people but its difficult for students

In terms of squad-based missions on the ground in a CQB environment this thing is ideal and hopefully is put to use by IA in J&K. Whilst an aerial IAV is better for other missions such as larger area sweeps. Different tech for different roles, there is no one size fits all solution so some tech shouldn't be discredited just because it can't do somthing it isn't designed to da anyway.

How about having these robots in crowded places, like train stations or during festivals. Since the robot can detect bombs, terrorist plots such as bombing can be foiled.

Hope they can team up with Hindustan engineering college and SRM Automobile engineering for a UAV tech. St Joseph and SRM have already teamed up once....so I think it is possible.

Hello this is Arokia Rinaldo A, a team member who designed this project..people please give your comments and reviews and hhelp us by taking this project to next level.

ya we ll be interested in doing that..how to approach those people?

ya that is true..but our primary aim was for the border and monitoring purpose..we are greatly interested in modifying and developing this project n use it for world defence.

Hope they can team up with Hindustan engineering college and SRM Automobile engineering for a UAV tech. St Joseph and SRM have already teamed up once....so I think it is possible.

ya we ll be interested in doing that..how to approach those people?

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

How about having these robots in crowded places, like train stations or during festivals. Since the robot can detect bombs, terrorist plots such as bombing can be foiled.

ya that is true..but our primary aim was for the border and monitoring purpose..we are greatly interested in modifying and developing this project n use it for world defence.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom