What's new

If missing jet made it to Andaman Sea, did Indian radars fail to detect it?

Best of luck then your best friend will soon turn into your worst enemy :D
Remember this is one mission which united all the countries in south asia....hehehehe.
Too big a risk isnt it??? :lol:
Ever heard of sarcasm?

Actually they're closer to India than China. China is a long way away by sea and a tad longer by air in comparison with India.
Really??
You sure about it???
Because I heard this during a debate online.

Indischer said:
Hmmm I knew about it.
Ever heard of sarcasm?
Exactly!!!
Thats what I want to ask you now.
My reply was an "extended" sarcasm :D

Last edited:
Really??
You sure about it???
Because I heard this during a debate online.
I'm positive about it. Port Blair is roughly 1400kms from both Chennai and Kolkata and by both sea and air. It's about 1500 kms from China's southern tip near Myanmar. Also, China will have to violate Myanmarese airspace if they've to reach the Andamans. By sea, China is very very far in comparison.

The latest theories based on satellite "pings" from the A/C quite clearly show why Indian radars (Military or otherwise) didn't pick up on the A/C:

isat.jpg

northArc.png

Completely avoiding Indian A&N islands and Indian mainland (as well as all Indian radars).

According to senior Indian Air Force (IAF) officials, India does maintain a radar north of Port Blair in the Andaman Islands. This radar is primarily directed at the Myanmar's Coco Islands, which is believed to serve as a base for Chinese military activity.

this comment is wrong,aint it??India has 3 Radar bases-Port Blair,Campbell Bay and Car Nicobar.these 3 Radars are enough to cover entire A&N Chain.its not about India's Air Defence Capability.entire incident is very fishy.they searched entire Malacca Strait as well as BoB.but strangely,there is no search surrounding areas of South of Malacca Strait.

Mate, no country ever gives its exact range of radar or the type of radar it has installed, it would be quite foolish for the Navy officer to simply come out and give the range.

Yea but I have seen and heard INDIA DO PRETTY FOOLISH THINGS. I wanted to point that the article confirmed what I and a few others have stated about the Cocos islands........its seems China is using it to spy on us.

there are gaps in radar coverages.

If this plane did come towards India, then how did those pilots know about those gaps ?

Looks like a very serious conspiracy, if its indeed one.

there are gaps in radar coverages.

If this plane did come towards India, then how did those pilots know about those gaps ?

Looks like a very serious conspiracy, if its indeed one.

Correction there are glaring gaps in India's radar coverage. Anything can be bought for a price.

well this incident not only raises concerns for Air Defence capabilities of a specific region but hell lot of other countries too, many countries including Pakistan failed to detect the unidentified bogey - that surely raises the brows of many.

Malaysian jet couldn’t have flown over India undetected: Military

images

The Indian military establishment has rejected the possibility that the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which mysteriously disappeared eight days en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, could have flown over India on way to Kazakhstan-Turkmenistan in Central Asia.

This came after Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak on Saturday said the missing plane’s last communication with a satellite suggested it could have been “deliberately diverted”, after its transponders were switched off, into “two possible corridors or arcs”. The northern one was identified as stretching from northern Thailand to Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, while the southern one from Indonesia to southern Indian Ocean.

“If the jetliner had tried to cross the Indian mainland, our primary radars (which bounce radio signals off targets) would have picked it up despite its transponders being switched off (secondary radars beam signals that request information from a plane’s transponders),” said a top IAF officer.

If an “unidentified” plane had been picked up flouting prescribed procedures or with switched-off transponders or not “squawking” IFF (identification, friend or foe) codes, a series of “air defence measures” would have kicked in – including the scrambling of fighters – to “detect, identify, intercept and destroy” the intruder.

Senior IAF and Navy officers admitted there were “a few gaps” in India’s civil and military radar networks but stressed it would be “virtually impossible” for a jetliner to fly undetected across the Indian mainland. “The five Airports Authority of India radars at Delhi, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Chennai and Mumbai are integrated with IAF’s air defence network. The possibility is far-fetched,” said an officer.

“Why also forget the robust air defence networks of countries like Pakistan, fully-geared towards India, or the US-led forces in Afghanistan or Iran for that matter, all of which would have been on this so-called flight arc,” he added.

Former IAF vice-chief Air Marshal P K Barbora, in turn, added, “Both India and Pakistan are very wary of any blip that comes up on their radars…it’s very unlikely that a plane could have flown across the vast stretch of land without being detected by one or some other country. An aircraft flying low to avoid radars would not be able to go such a long distance.”

Indian officials are of the opinion that MH370, hijacked or otherwise, probably went down in the Bay of Bengal or southern Indian Ocean after being diverted and flying close to the Malacca Strait. And that is precisely where India is concentrating its search as part of the ongoing multi-nation hunt for the missing jetliner.

“The Navy, IAF and Coast Guard are scanning an area spanning over 2,50,000 sq km in the Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal with six warships and extensive aerial surveillance by aircraft like P-8I long-range maritime patrol planes, medium-range Dornier-228s and a C-130J Super Hercules with electro-optic and infra-red sensors. But so far, no sighting or detection has been reported,” said an officer.

Malaysian jet couldn’t have flown over India undetected: Military | idrw.org

Back
Top Bottom