What's new

Soma Coal Mine Disaster | News and Discussion

Italian workers in solidarity with their Turkish brethren..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 91
Mining incidents are one of the worst cases. They take lives in large numbers and mostly those workers who already have enough of working in such harsh conditions. It's a true tragedy. We should pray victim numbers don't go higher than this.

PressTV - Iran sympathizes with Turkey over deadly mine blast

Tehran has offered condolences to Turkey over the recent mine blast in the west of the country which killed at least 201 workers.

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham on Wednesday extended Iran’s condolences to the Turkish government and nation and expressed sympathy with the bereaved families of victims.

She voiced Iran’s readiness to deliver aid and services to Ankara and help the Turkish government in rescue operations.

At least 201 workers were killed and scores injured as a result of a blast at a coal mine in western Turkey on Tuesday.

According to Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yildiz, 787 people were inside the mine at Soma in Manisa province when the explosion took place.

A large rescue operation is underway to free hundreds of more workers still trapped underground. Officials say hopes are diminishing of rescuing the trapped miners.

A faulty electrical transformer is believed to have caused the explosion at the mine.

---------------------------------------
Iran’s Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani has extended condolences to the people and government of Turkey over a mine exposition which left hundreds of people dead.

In a Wednesday message to his Turkish counterpart Cemil Cicek, Larijani also offered Iran’s sympathy to the families of the victims.

On Tuesday, an explosion at a coal mine in the western Turkish province of Manisa left at least 270 workers dead and scores injured.

According to Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yildiz, 787 people were inside the mine at Soma in Manisa Province when the explosion took place.

A large rescue operation is underway to free hundreds of more workers still trapped underground. Officials say hopes are diminishing of rescuing the trapped miners.

A faulty electrical transformer is believed to have caused the explosion at the mine.

Lignite coal mining is a major industry in Turkey’s Soma. A similar incident in 1992 marked the country’s worst mining disaster in which 263 miners were killed near Zonguldak, on the Black Sea.

Inal ilahi wainal ilayhi Rajiun

To Allah we belong... May they rest in peace and may Almighty give patience to their loved ones..ameen..

A tragic accident...

Pakistan observed a mourning day in memory of the departed souls...

Turkish PM cites 19th-century Britain to prove mine accidents are ‘typical’

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has cited decades-old – if not centuries-old – examples to defend his government over its mining record, pointing to a mine accident in Britain in 1838 during a press conference about the Soma disaster on May 14.

“I went back in British history. Some 204 people died there after a mine collapse in 1838. In 1866, 361 miners died in Britain. In an explosion in 1894, 290 people died there,” Erdoğan said in Soma, while choosing not to elaborate on how accidents in 19th-century Britain might be applicable to Soma’s unfolding disaster.

“Take America with all of its technology and everything ... In 1907, 361 [miners died there],” Erdoğan said. “These are usual things.”

Turkish PM also cited examples of early 20th-century mine accidents in France and Japan. “In 1942, 1,549 miners died in China due to a mixture of gas and coal,” Erdoğan said. “Can you believe it?” he asked journalists in reference to the numbers, rather than queries over his unorthodox understanding of logic.

Erdoğan vowed that the government would investigate the accident throughly, but emphasized that the Soma mine was seen as one of the safest in Turkey.

While Turkish PM thanked the opposition parties and the media for their non-partisan response to the national tragedy, he also reprimanded an Al-Jazeera journalist for asking why the mining company was allowed by the government to operate.

“As a journalist, I believe that you don’t follow closely how coal mines work around the world. It may be because there are natural gas reserves, but not coal mines in Qatar,” Erdoğan said before giving a long answer describing the history of mine accidents in Turkey, starting from 1942 when the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) was in power.

Some 120 people are still thought to be in the mine, Erdoğan said
Turkish PM cites 19th-century Britain to prove mine accidents are ‘typical’ - POLITICS

That is a stupid and insensitive thing to say, especially when the rescue operation is still going on.

PAKISTAN HOLDS DAY OF MOURNING FOR TURKEY MINERS

ISLAMABAD
— Pakistan's government has announced to observe countrywide day of mourning on Thursday in memory of nearly 282 miners killed in a mine blast in western Turkey.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced on Wednesday that the national flag would fly half-mast on government buildings including the parliament, the government house and the presidential palace.

"We stand with our Turkish brothers at this testing moment," Sharif said in a statement.

Special prayers will be held in the mosques across the country for the deceased miners.

In his message to his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Sharif wished to bereaved families courage to bear their irreparable loss.

Turkey declared three days of national mourning for the victims of the fire, during which flags fly at half-mast and parliament remains closed. Tuesday's explosion and the subsequent fire at the mine in the district of Soma in Manisa province is believed to have followed an electrical fault.

Turkey's energy ministers confirmed on Wednesday evening that 282 miners were killed in the disaster.

Thats alot of families... Rest in peace brothers..

O madene gömülüyorlar
BntL256CcAABy15.jpg

Translation:

The cause of explosion was a gallery inside the mine that was sealed 3 months ago due to fire, but fire continued inside and built up pressure eventually causing an explosion
cause of explosion was a gallery inside the mine that was sealed 3 months ago due to fire, but fire continued inside and built up pressure eventually causing an explosion

Right now two more galleries are being sealed with workers inside to put out the flames and it won't be possible to retreive their bodies, they will be declared dead.

Last edited:
This Erdogan guy and his government has become extremely arrogant. I really hope they teach him a lesson in the elections.

Back
Top Bottom