What's new

Smart phones | Selection advice, New releases, Concepts

HTC's latest version of Sense UI on the HTC One X is still a bit unstable. There are a couple widgets crashing once in a while as well. TouchWiz is still the best custom interface Android has, but in my opinion it's not as good as stock ICS's interface. Android 4 is a vast improvement, but Google should make certain rules regulating Android phones similar to what Microsoft has done with WP7.

If they do this then a huge portion of Android's problems will disappear. At the moment they haven't done much to reduce fragmentation & improve application quality. I did hear that the next Google nexus devices will be manufactured by a variety of manufacturers so people are going to have more choice while choosing a stock Android device. If this works out well, I think some of the complaints regarding manufacturer modifications may disappear.

Touchwiz is the worst possible interface one can come up with. Sense is hundred times better than the bloatware Samsung came up with.

Or you can just wait for the iPhone 5, and get a mid level HTC for now or give Windows a try. It is an extremely versatile OS now (windows) and not too heavy on the pocket so you can save up for your iPhone.

Having said that, let me also point out, iPhone is great only because its apps make it great, so unless you gonna use it for the purpose intended, it will only be a showpiece to flaunt!
This is exactly what I did ;-), thought of buying lumia 800 but had too many paid apps in Android Market.

Touchwiz is the worst possible interface one can come up with. Sense is hundred times better than the bloatware Samsung came up with.

TouchWiz is better than Sense UI at the moment because it's more stable. I am talking about the latest versions of the user interfaces of course. As I stated previously, the stock Android interface is better than the others.

It's funny that you say TouchWiz is bloated when usually it's HTC Sense UI that is considered bloatware.

**********​

HTC Admits Sense UI Became Too Bloated – Takes Things Down A Notch With Sense 4

Sense UI. Love it or hate it, it’s not going anywhere. The complaint most people have with Sense is it’s simply too bloated and can hinder performance on any phone with it’s flashy UI and countless features. The good news? HTC knows this. And they’re going to make thing right.

In an interview with Pocketlint, HTC’s chief product officer Kouji Kodera, said he believes HTC Sense started off fine but over time, with each new Sense version, the UI became too cluttered. We’d agree.

“From the original Sense up to Sense 3.5 we added too many things. The original concept was that it had to be simple and it had to be easy to use and we had that philosophy, but over time it got cluttered. There where too many things in there. Even on the home screen we had four or five icons before consumers got a chance to add things themselves. For the HTC One range we have taken it down to Sense 2 again.”

I guess the bad news here is the only devices that will reap the benefit of this all new and improved UI seem to be the HTC One line — possibly only the One X and One S which use Sense 4.0 — the One V uses an older Sense 3.6. It’s unclear which version we’ll see on HTC’s current dual-core Gingerbread devices but I’m crossing my fingers for Sense 4.0, which, according to Koujira, is more of a theme than the complete Android overhaul like in previous versions.

“What we’ve done right now is a good mixture of keeping Sense and Google’s Ice Cream Sandwich element in a good balance. We haven’t tried to change everything here. We have kept a lot of the ICS element but still added the Sense flavor on top of it.”

HTC’s simpler design philosophy carries over to their product portfolio as well. The One line features no removable batter or SD card slot. Can’t get simpler than that. Koujira also reiterated the company’s stance of releasing less products this year, focusing solely on the One line. “You will start hearing less from us as we are going to be focusing on less number of products.” Focus is good. Especially if it results in more timely updates, a feather in the hat of any Android OEM that can provide them.

**********​

Here in another article:

HTC: Sense UI Was Bloated and Cluttered

I am not saying that TouchWiz isn't bloated. The amount of bloatware on TouchWiz has reduced over time. HTC Sense UI 4 isn't that bloated either, it's just a bit unstable. HTC Sense 4 looks a lot better in comparison to TouchWiz though. In my opinion certain elements of TouchWiz are extremely ugly.

I read that article it only says that HTC won't be using heavily customised version of sense anymore as most of the feature in sense is now available in ice.

I used galaxy s for a year and now using HTC one v which has sense 4 on top of ics. Believe me sense is more refined than touchwiz. Touchwiz is ugly and wasn't very stable atleast in my galaxy s. I had to use custom launchers like go or adw to get rid of it.

Anyway it's universally agreed in android community that sense is best 3rd party customization available for android now.

its a personal choice believe it or not but ics is the best platform for internet users... iphone/ios is best for gaming users and YouTube experience in both devices is same with advantage to companies making larger screens like Samsung for example.

take your pick

I read that article it only says that HTC won't be using heavily customised version of sense anymore as most of the feature in sense is now available in ice.

Not exactly, all they have done is to try & achieve a balance without bloating up the user interface.

I used galaxy s for a year and now using HTC one v which has sense 4 on top of ics. Believe me sense is more refined than touchwiz. Touchwiz is ugly and wasn't very stable atleast in my galaxy s. I had to use custom launchers like go or adw to get rid of it.

Have you tried using previous versions of Sense UI? They are extremely bloated. I agree that Sense 4 is not bloated, but it's not as stable as TouchWiz in my opinion. I haven't tried those custom launchers you mentioned, but Sense UI 4 is the closest to stock Android. It just needs to receive bug fixes. Parts of TouchWiz's UI are indeed very ugly, but the user interface itself is still extremely stable. You mentioned that you used the Samsung Galaxy S, TouchWiz on that phone wasn't as good as it was on the Galaxy S II.

Anyway it's universally agreed in android community that sense is best 3rd party customization available for android now.

Sense UI 4 might be considered the best one once it becomes more stable, but I really doubt that previous versions of Sense UI were considered to be among the best. The Android users I know are more fond the Galaxy S series phones rather than HTC phones.

The.New_.iPhone-iTopnews.Mockup.png

The New iPhone, Envisioned by iTopnews.de

The senior editor, creative director and 3D artist of iTopnews.de, Toby Kick imagined the way the New iPhone 2012 would look like and came up with the concept below. This mockup is based on the rumors that have appeared on the web regarding the iPhone 5 and we also have some specs to look at. Just so you know, iTopnews.de is one of the leading German weblogs abut Apple, apps and iPhone topics.

The new iPhone features a bigger screen, slimmer waistline, iOS 6.0, LTE connectivity and an aluminum backside. This sixth gen Apple handset measures 58.6mm in width, 115.2mm in height and 7.1mm in depth. It’s got a 4 inch Retina widescreen OLED display, 4G LTE and a smaller aluminum frame. Its backside is made from aluminum, finalized with piano lacquer in black or white. iOS 6.0 offers a new top bar with local weather and notification summary and it also adopts a new arrangement, that involves five columns.

There are 5 apps in the overall line from “Phone” to “Music” and you also get a Homescreen Indicator with new Swipe to Siri functionality. People are talking about a smaller dock connector, but this concept doesn’t seem to adopt these ideas, leaving them to the rumors area. This new for iOS 6 is interesting: a larger screen that offers a 5th column of apps and that customizable top bar with widgets are all things we could see at WWDC 2012. What do you think about this mockup?

The.New_.iPhone-iTopnews.Mockup-Front.png

The.New_.iPhone-iTopnews.Mockup-Outline1.png

**********​

Wow OP is real Apple Fanboy.You know OP ; Actually Android Users have a choice - If they don't like Touchwhiz or Sense they can simply flash rom that does not contain any skin (Touchwhiz, Sense, Motoblur)...ICS is far ahead of iOS 5

Wow OP is real Apple Fanboy.You know OP ; Actually Android Users have a choice - If they don't like Touchwhiz or Sense they can simply flash rom that does not contain any skin (Touchwhiz, Sense, Motoblur)...ICS is far ahead of iOS 5

Judging by your comment, it seems that you are an Android fanboy. I already know a lot about Android & the so called "choice" that its users have. The choice that you mention is theoretically a good thing, but it isn't too great in reality. What happens if a person is more fond of Samsung's build quality, but wants to use HTC Sense UI on his or her's Samsung device? Sure some people are able to flash their phones with custom ROMs, but is everyone able to do that? Most people may not want to risk it, some may not want their warranties to go void. Lets ignore the fact that some custom ROMs are extremely buggy & sometimes even unusable, especially the early custom ICS ROMs that were released for the Galaxy S II. If you are going to talk about choice, then why doesn't the user have the choice to simply remove TouchWiz from his or her Samsung device & simply use the stock interface? Isn't that a much better option than having to flash the phone with a custom ROM?

Android users get a choice of keyboards they want to use, but how many of those users happen to use custom keyboards? Why is there a need for so many different keyboards, why couldn't the manufacturers or Google get it right for the first time? Apart from that, I am certain that most people hope that the device manufacturer would have chosen some reasonable defaults for them & then they happen to continue using whatever was pre-installed or pre-configured on the device. The fact is that the domain of customization is limited to a niche segment of the Android market. Similar to how jailbreakers are a niche segment of the iPhone market, of course most people jailbreak their phones for pirated applications alone. What is the price Android users pay for all this choice? According to the link here, Android 4 or ICS has just expanded to 7.1% of the total Android market share. Apparently all this choice has made it difficult for Android devices to receive timely updates resulting in Android users being unable to benefit from the latest & greatest version of their software.

I dont think i will ever switch from andriod to apple in near future for the following reasons. I use mobile for multimedia and for internet purpose and android gives better experience of surfing or watching contents on android phones with bigger screen

Apples phones dont have flash support within web browser for watching live TV by using application such as pak TV global, and others live channels etc. I even watched live cricket matches on android phones :D

Second headache is limitation of itunes , less option of customization , no external SD card support, no divx, xvid videos formal support , cannot send pic and music via bluetooth to other devices ,all apples phones have small screen size and more weight compare to android phones like HTC one X, Samsung S1, s2, s3, Sony experia S etc . poor sunlight visibility compare to super amoled of samsung, Android market developed later than apple store but soon will overtake apple store, you cannot easily share content of your phones with other devices in iphones, androids handsets have removable battery so you could have option of spare battery if its run out etc, Another advantage of android is rooting and the list goes on :D

yes apples phone look and feel nice in hands and apple products and accessories are over priced and that's all about it ..just dont stick with apple for sake of its price and status symbol :P

Actually HTC One X is not the fastest Droid in the world , that title goes to the ironically Dual Core HTC One S

Check out these performance Benchmark figures

Benchmark Pi

Lower is better

HTC One S 306
HTC One X 338
Samsung Galaxy S II 452
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 408
HTC Sensation XE 536
Sony Xperia S 536
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 351

Linpack

Higher is better

HTC One S 210
HTC One X 126.1
Samsung Galaxy S II 77.6
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 77.1
HTC Sensation XE 50.4
Sony Xperia S 86.4
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 90

The 3D graphics department is handled by an Adreno 225 GPU and it showed enviable performance. On the qHD screen of the HTC One S, it hit just over 60fps. The NVIDIA GPU inside the One X did a little better than the Adreno - the 720p screen on the X has 1.5x the number of pixels as the qHD screen, so the Adreno 225 would probably hit around 40fps on that resolution, while the NVIDIA GPU does 47+fps.

NenaMark 2

Higher is better

HTC One S 60.5
HTC One X 47.5
Samsung Galaxy S II 51.6
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 24
HTC Sensation XE 23
Sony Xperia S 37.5
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 43.6

On SunSpider, the CPU-stressing JavaScript benchmark, the HTC One S posted a blazing fast result, beating all competitors. The HTML5 test, BrowserMark, however shows that HTC has some more work to do as the One S lost to an ICS-running Galaxy S II by about 10% (and the S II has a slower processor).

SunSpider

Lower is better

HTC One S 1708
HTC One X 1757
Samsung Galaxy S II 1849
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 1863
HTC Sensation XE 4404
Sony Xperia S 2587
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 1891
Apple iPhone 4S 2217

BrowserMark

Higher is better

HTC One S 98435
HTC One X 96803
Samsung Galaxy S II 111853
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 103591
HTC Sensation XE 72498
Sony Xperia S 74990
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 113256
Apple iPhone 4S 88725

All told, the HTC One S is the fastest phone on the market - there's no task in the mobile world it can't tackle. It will also throw a monkey wrench in the quad-core hype machine.

HTC One S review: Onederful - GSMArena.com

Actually HTC One X is not the fastest Droid in the world , that title goes to the ironically Dual Core HTC One S

I might not remember but where exactly in the 2 dogfight videos I posted does the reviewer say that the HTC One X is the fastest Android phone in the world?

Those videos were a comparison between the HTC One X & the HTC Titan II. I don't really care much for the HTC One S, even if it does manage to get benchmark results compared to the HTC One X. It just shows that HTC have not optimized their software to take advantage of HTC One X's hardware.

**********​
Michael Fisher
March 29, 2012
MF112.jpg

The Brutally Honest Question Corner is a continuing series on disputed or hot-button topics in the mobile industry.

BHQC: What Are Benchmarks, and Do They Matter?

In reviews of new mobile phones and tablets, we often see the term “benchmark.” Benchmarking is used throughout the computing world, but in mobile technology, it usually takes the form of an app (native or web-based) that tests your device’s performance. These tests produce one or many numeric scores which rate the device’s ability to perform certain tasks. The principal advantage to benchmarking is that it takes subjective impressions out of the equation; the tests are standardized so, in theory, all devices are evaluated on an equal playing ground.

The down-side is a symptom of the competitive environment of mobile computing and almost religious zeal of platform fans: too often, benchmark scores are used as weapons in the “my device is better” wars. The scores, when taken in a vacuum, can easily be used to extoll the virtues of one platform while condemning another. Such scores also pop up pretty often in the posts of those with a need to justify their recent technology purchase.

Screenshot_2012-03-29-11-28-59.png

Look how awesome MY device is! Oh wait.

I want to talk about the mythical “average person” for a second. Benchmarking is crucially important to software designers and developers; it helps them evaluate their products under different conditions and on different platforms and devices. But to a normal consumer, how relevant and reliable are these metrics when considering a purchase?

First, let’s introduce the ever-present grain of salt. While it’s wonderful to have the option of running a standardized test, that terminology suggests that the results should be reproducible; I should be able to run the same test twice in quick succession on the same device, and achieve the same score. Sadly, that’s not the case:

comparison.png

These tests were taken about ten minutes apart.

Granted, those are minor variations, but they’re not insignificant; they illustrate an underlying inconsistency in a testing method that’s supposed to be standardized. Lest you think I own a faulty device, the folks at Engadget were also able to demonstrate fluctuations in their test results on the same unit, with back-to-back benchmark sessions. These tests aren’t infallible.

Second, it’s possible for OEMs to “game the system” by calibrating their hardware/software to excel at one popular metric, while sacrificing performance in other areas. Depending on who you ask, this practice is either common or almost universal. What sometimes results is a device that shines on paper, while real-world use is laggy, sluggish, or unstable.

Okay, so we have an evaluation system that’s vulnerable to gaming, which produces somewhat inconsistent results. That’s not enough of a condemnation to call benchmarking irrelevant, by any means; it’s not. As with many things technological, the trouble and confusion are caused by the users.

computer%20guy.jpg

This poor chump can’t get a break.

There’s a war on in the world of mobile users, between those who value specs and those who look only at an ethereal concept called “the user experience.” To make a crude and extreme generalization, the former group respects things like numbers and quantifiable figures, throwing around terms like “processor cycles” and “Linpack” and “quad-core,” while the latter group says condescending things like “I don’t care about chips, spec-head; I want my device to just work.”

Can you tell I don’t write dialogue?

Anyway, hey: ever see the movie Crimson Tide? It’s awesome; you should. At the end (SPOILER ALERT), Jason Robards is giving Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington a good old U.S. Navy tongue-lashing, in which he says “now you may have been proven right, Mister … but insofar as the letter of the law is concerned, you were both right. And, you were also both wrong. This is the dilemma that will occupy this panel … long after you leave this room.”

crimson%20tide.jpg
“A good old-fashioned clipboard is the only ‘tablet’ you’ll ever need, Commander.”

That’s the deal with the spec-vs-experience people; each camp’s argument has merit, but standing alone, neither one is defensible. Top-shelf specifications and raw performance are awesome, but they mean absolutely nothing if the experience hasn’t been optimized and tuned for a great user experience. Reference the HP TouchPad running webOS; the tablet featured very capable hardware, but performance on the release version of the software was atrocious. By contrast, look at the first generation of WP7 devices; these aged, single-core phones with pedestrian-to-dull specs are still running their OSes more smoothly than a lot of more powerful Android devices.

On the flip side, the people who take the opposite extreme of “specs don’t matter” are also wrong. It’s illogical to suggest that great performance doesn’t take great components, at least to an extent. Devices that feature what some call a “great user experience” -high responsiveness, minimal lag, solid reliability- frequently have the specs to back it up. It’s just that those specs are downplayed in importance because, frankly, they don’t matter very much if the phone or tablet you bought is doing what you want it to do, and doing it well.

Really, that’s what it all comes down to: buying the right device for your needs. If that means you need a certain level of performance because you’re running time-sensitive or resource-intensive applications, then benchmarks are absolutely going to be a crucial part of your review process … but not the only part. If you’re shopping mainly for a device that’s going to give you great overall responsiveness and reliability, benchmarks aren’t going to matter as much as hands-on user reviews … but you should still take them into account.

So, is benchmarking important? Yes. Is it the end-all be-all of device comparisons? Not even close. It’s one part of a larger whole. The world isn’t black-and-white, as so many platform champions and commentators would have you believe. When evaluating new devices, gather as much information as possible through whatever means available, including benchmarks, spec comparisons, and user reviews. Learn all that is learnable before pulling the trigger. It’s all about the gray area, friends.

All that said … go download Quadrant and watch your device play some FPS games by itself. It’s equal parts amazing and relaxing. And just for fun, you know you want to see how you stack up. Admit it.

Screenshot_2012-03-29-11-21-26.png
Gah, I was wrong! It’s creepy! Turn it off! Turn it off!!​

Mentioned Engadget test can be found here.

**********​

If this concept turn out to be true as it seems from leaked images, it will be a big fail. It is nothing just same Iphone 4 design.
I will like this one to the final design.

527113_300865410004871_1107475095_n.jpg

The concept I posted in post #189 is still just a concept. I do remember posting some leaked images, but knowing the amount of secrecy Apple practices, we can never be too sure about their authenticity.

As for the design you posted, I think I remember sharing it previously on this thread, because it does look familiar. As long as Apple makes a couple of modifications to the next iPhone such as increasing the screen size, I am sure it will sell. Even when the iPhone 4S was announced people were expecting something totally different, but yet Apple had millions of sales.

It's just that Apple has way too many loyal customers, & to be honest it's kind of hard to change your mobile platform once you get used to one. I have so many applications on my iPhone that don't have a decent equivalent on Android & WP7. Besides, not only have I paid for those applications, but I have become used to them too, so I am going to be a bit more cautious when considering changing to another platform.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom