What's new

Smart phones | Selection advice, New releases, Concepts

4-inch-iphone-1.jpg

Why developers aren’t worried about rumored 4-inch iPhone

After three major news outlets confirmed that Apple was ordering larger smartphone displays last week, the 4-inch iPhone theory is quickly going from rumor to fact. It seems like everyone is giving into the idea, including developers.

GigaOM recently polled a handful of high-profile iOS app-makers regarding the prospect of a larger-screened iPhone. And the general consensus seems to be that they aren’t too worried about it causing any major headaches…

Lenny Rachitsky, CEO of Localmind:

“We haven’t put a lot of thought into it yet, partly because we assume Apple isn’t going to pull an Android and fragment the device market unnecessarily. if they do, they must have a really good reason to do it, and we’re confident they’ll provide tools to make it easy to migrate. The last thing they want to do is put more friction in front of developers.”

And Localmind’s lead iOS developer, Nelson Gauthier, agrees:

“Apple often changes the requirements for iOS applications but they usually give developers fair warning and decent tools to accommodate new devices. The transition to Retina display and iPad were both relatively straightforward.”

These are actually really good counter-arguments to the notion that Apple would not change the iPhone’s display out of fear of fragmenting the platform.

Apple knows how important developers, and their 600,000+ apps, are to its ecosystem and the overall success of iOS. It’s not going to jeopardize that by making an iPhone with a mutant display that no one can work with.

If these 4-inch screen rumors materialize — and it’s certainly looking like they will — you can bet that Apple has made the needs of its developers a priority.

**********​

iPhone-3GS-HD-Video-e1289359274694.png

Apple allegedly to keep iPhone 3GS, reprice it for emerging markets

Instead of killing off the iPhone 3GS when a sixth-generation model arrives later this year, Apple is allegedly in the process of repricing the handset in order to better attend to its customers in emerging markets, where phones are often sold contract-free and used with pay-as-you-go plans.

According to Jefferies analys Peter Misek, Apple wants to sell its three-year old handset contract-free in developing markets for between $250 and $300 versus its current $375 no-contract asking price…

Eric Savitz, writing for Forbes, explains:

In a research note published Sunday night, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek asserts that Apple has signed an agreement “with a major global distributor” which will look for ways to penetrate the pre-paid and developing markets. He thinks the phone will be repriced (at the wholesale level) from $375 down to the $200 to $250 range.

The analyst also heard that Apple has reached a deal with “a leading distribution and logistics company” to push the iPhone 3GS in prepaid markets around the world.

He also estimated Apple would build about thirty million iPhones during the June quarter, reflecting a slowdown in sales as the next iPhone looms on the horizon.

Apple sold 37.04 million iPhones during the holiday quarter and 35.1 million units in the first quarter of this year. The Wall Street Journal thinks the next iPhone will enter production in June as Apple eyes an October launch.

The paper gave credence to previous rumors calling for a four-inch display.

If an iDB poll is an indication, nearly one in two buyers would prefer an iPhone with a four-inch display and one in five would love a 4.3-inch one like on Samsung’s Galaxy S II.

As you know, the company usually keeps a previous-generation iPhone at a reduced price when a next-generation model hits the market. With the iPhone 4S introduction last October, Apple kept the 8GB iPhone 4 which now costs just $99 with a two-year contract.

However, the company has also extended shelf life of the iPhone 3GS, now being offered for free with a carrier subsidy.

Such a flexible product mix has enabled the company to cover a wide range of price points without swarming the market with different form factors like Android handset makers. It’s Apple’s way of addressing calls for an inexpensive iPhone that some people think should be made much smaller and sold dirt cheap.

What do you think?

Should Apple bother creating a so-called iPhone mini or does the iPhone product mix cover wide enough a gamut of shoppers?

Personally, I wish they optimized iOS 5 to run better on the iPhone 3GS. The way it is now, I certainly feel sorry for iPhone 3GS owners, many of whom are left convinced that the jerkiness of the user interface and general handset sluggishness is a fact of life and exhibited on all iPhones.

**********​

Cody
May 22, 2012​
Four-inch-iPhone-5-next-to-iPhone-4S-Federico-Ciccarese-001.jpg

Rumor: Apple testing new iPhones with 3.95-inch, 1136 x 640 displays

Reports that Apple will be finally increasing the screen size of its next-generation iPhone have certainly been piling up over the past few weeks. And today, the credible 9to5Mac is throwing its proverbial hat into the ring.

The site has just published a report that, if true, confirms a number of existing theories regarding Apple’s next handset including display size and resolution, and the oft-rumored smaller charging port. Read on for details…

According to the report, Apple is currently testing multiple new iPhone prototypes. This echoes a previous story from iMore that claimed that the company has yet to decide on a finalized design for its next smartphone.

“Right now we know of a few next-generation iPhone candidates in testing. These prototype phones are floating around Apple HQ in thick, locked shells in order to disguise the exterior design to “undisclosed” employees. We know of two next-generation iPhones in testing with a larger display: the iPhone 5,1 and iPhone 5,2.”

The site isn’t quite sure which model will make it to retail shelves, but it says that both of the devices include new displays that measure 3.95-inches diagonally with resolutions of 1136 x 640. This matches up with the recurring 4-inch iPhone theory, which says that the display will get a bit taller but stay the same width, that has been floating around for the past month.

The report also mentions that both of the prototypes feature all-new, smaller dock connectors — another concept we have heard before.

“Apple will be bringing these dock connectors to all of their iOS devices over time, and it is note exactly a “pill-shape” as rumored. It’s basically a much narrower version of the current squared off (on the corners) dock connector. It is between the size of a Micro-USB and Mini-USB connector.”

Even with 9to5Mac’s accurate track record on the iPhone rumor front, it’s worth noting that these devices are still in the prototype phase and may never see the light of day. Not to mention that Apple has been known to float around ”fake” prototype models to discourage leaks.

That being said, the report does line up rather nicely with several previous dispatches. And from where we’re sitting, it definitely looks like Apple will be releasing a redesigned iPhone this fall with a larger display and a new dock connector.

What do you think?

**********​

:lol:After Apple release 4+ Inch Screen iphone with isheep OS, Apple will sue the hell out of every phone maker for 4+ inch screen as it belongs to Apple...patent lawsuit coming near you.

:lol:After Apple release 4+ Inch Screen iphone with isheep OS, Apple will sue the hell out of every phone maker for 4+ inch screen as it belongs to Apple...patent lawsuit coming near you.

The United States Patent & Trademark Office must be really dumb to provide Apple with such a patent. :lol:

I know its been sometime since I updated this thread, but information about the next iPhone is getting released a bit more slowly these days.

**********​

Photos of the next iPhone panels reveal larger screen, metal back​

After all the rumors of the next iPhone getting a 4-inch display, we finally get to see a glimpse of what the end result might look like. Acquired by 9to5mac from a Chinese iPhone parts supplier, the allegedly authentic photos below show the next Apple smartphone from both the front and the back.

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

Most notably, it looks like the width of the phone hasn't been altered and the phone is much taller. As a result, according to various sources the resolution is 1136 x 640 pixels, making the screen 3.99 inches in diagonal.

The next major change is the back, which is now almost fully metal with only a small part of the top and bottom being glass. Again, this may be just a prototype Apple has been working on, but if it turns out to be the real deal, the aluminum back from iPhones of old is back.

gsmarena_002.jpg

Furthermore, the dock port at the bottom of the device has gotten smaller. Could Apple be evolving to a new dock connector? Actually, it looks a bit too much like a microUSB port. It's also surrounded by a speaker grill with large holes, purportedly for enhanced sounding. The FaceTime front-facing camera has also been moved above the earpiece, which looks a bit awkward.

It's yet unconfirmed if the photos show a real iPhone prototype and will unlikely ever be, but regardless, they successfully display what we should expect in October, when Apple is expected to unveil their latest smartphone.

**********​

Well, well, well, leaked images of map application from iOS, completely new design of iPhone 5 with larger screen, metal body and smaller dock. Now, we came with another amazing feature. Are you tired of the blue color of iOS 5? Want to change it to any other? Another rumor from Cultofmac also confirmed that Apple will change the layout of applications in iOS6 and the new color will be silver. So, the next iOS 6 will have silver bars and silver button at the top and bottom.

WWDC-2011-for-iOS-blue-vs-metal-theme.jpg

Here’s what Cultofmac described:

Unlike last year’s app — which featured a black bar along the bottom and a blue bar along the top, like traditional iPhone apps — this one sports silver bars and buttons both top and bottom.

The evidence behind these rumors sat best when the new iPad was introduced with many apps such as Maps and YouTube having silver top and bottom. It is also stated that the iLife application for Mac will also get silver appearance.

So, finally what are your thoughts about new iPhone 5 with brand new iOS 6 having silver appearances? Share with us in the comments section below.

**********​

Off topic post - Samsung Galaxy S III's personal assistant called "S Voice"

Galaxy S III S Voice Demo - Better Than Siri? - YouTube

What do you think of it in comparison to Siri?

Well Siri was completely useless for EU customers. It was only ok ok for the customers living in USA as it used to give directions in the map and do some other jobs related to maps and GPS. But in UK version or other parts of the world, it was not connected to the database and only used to set an alarm for you, reminder or Internet search etc. In my opinion the standard voice command in Galaxy S2 was already doing better job than Siri for UK customers so I am hopeful that S3 would be an improvement. Galaxy S2 already had a Siri like feature well before the iPhone's mass-campaign of Siri was launched.

In Galaxy S2, If I had asked direction from my home to Birmingham it would most likely to give accurate and pin point description and guide you through all the way but in Siri I had asked a similar question, It would say it only recognizes the maps in the USA.

So surely Android wins again for UK & European customers :rofl:

Well Siri was completely useless for EU customers. It was only ok ok for the customers living in USA as it used to give directions in the map and do some other jobs related to maps and GPS. But in UK version or other parts of the world, it was not connected to the database and only used to set an alarm for you, reminder or Internet search etc. In my opinion the standard voice command in Galaxy S2 was already doing better job than Siri for UK customers so I am hopeful that S3 would be an improvement. Galaxy S2 already had a Siri like feature well before the iPhone's mass-campaign of Siri was launched.

In Galaxy S2, If I had asked direction from my home to Birmingham it would most likely to give accurate and pin point description and guide you through all the way but in Siri I had asked a similar question, It would say it only recognizes the maps in the USA.

I agree, Siri still needs more development for mass adoption, & for it to become fully functional across the globe. Apple may need to add multiple languages support to it as well.

Based on the article below, I thought Siri would get international maps in 2012.

So surely Android wins again for UK & European customers :rofl:

:woot:

Wins again!? When did it win before? :P

**********​

Kate Solomon
October 14th 2011​
PA040041-580-75.JPG

Siri to get international maps and local search in 2012
"I'm sorry, I can't answer that"​

Eagle-eyed FAQ readers have spotted that "additional countries" will get maps and local search integration in the iPhone 4S's Siri app in 2012.

If you got your hands on the iPhone 4S in the UK today, you may have been a touch disappointed with its personal assistant app, Siri.

The voice-controlled app isn't able to provide UK customers with local business information or maps to nearby places, resulting in a whole lot of frustrating "I'm sorry, I can't answer that" action.

Siri, why don't you love me?

As Apple noted in its keynote announcing the handset and its HAL-like assistant, the current version of Siri is a beta, and its Siri FAQs note that "Maps and local search support will be available in additional countries in 2012".

It's no skin off iPhone 4 and earlier users' noses, however, as Siri is only available on iOS 5 on the iPhone 4S.

We'll be putting the handy app through its paces in our in-depth TechRadar iPhone 4S review; in the meantime, check out our video hands on below:

Apple iPhone 4S Hands-On Video Review | Technology videos, news videos, mobile phone review videos, TV review videos, Tablet videos, camera review videos, laptop review videos

Based on the article below, I thought Siri would get international maps in 2012.

Wins again!? When did it win before? :P
But Galaxy S2 is offering such service since the launch of Galaxy S2 in 2011!!!

Win again because we deeply compared both platforms and came to understanding the Android does offer more features but IOS is easy to use and user-friendly. There were many proofs that we favouring Samsung Galaxy S series over iPhone 4/s. Remember?

Surely IOS is superior in my many other ways so I am not going to compare it again

But Galaxy S2 is offering such service since the launch of Galaxy S2 in 2011!!!

Yeah that's true.

Win again because we deeply compared both platforms and came to understanding the Android does offer more features but IOS is easy to use and user-friendly. There were many proofs that we favouring Samsung Galaxy S series over iPhone 4/s. Remember?

Surely IOS is superior in my many other ways so I am not going to compare it again

I remember our previous operating systems' comparisons on this thread. There is no point in making another comparison since Android fails in too many ways, the articles I posted previously prove that. It is true that certain Android phones do offer more features because of the large number of manufacturers producing Android devices. However both Android & its phone manufacturers haven't done well at building a good ecosystem. That is iOS's greatest advantage, the ecosystem Apple has built around pretty much all of their products does not compare to other manufacturers.

Another thing is that while Samsung does develop Android phones, Samsung does not represent Android it self. S Voice for example works on the Galaxy S III but it may not be entirely compatible with Android phones from other manufacturers. So the best experience Android can offer is limited to the best phones their device manufacturers offer while other Android phones might be horrible. This means that even if the Samsung Galaxy S III is better than the iPhone 4S, it does not mean that Android is better than iOS.

Yeah that's true.

I remember our previous operating systems' comparisons on this thread. There is no point in making another comparison since Android fails in too many ways, the articles I posted previously prove that. It is true that certain Android phones do offer more features because of the large number of manufacturers producing Android devices. However both Android & its phone manufacturers haven't done well at building a good ecosystem. That is iOS's greatest advantage, the ecosystem Apple has built around pretty much all of their products does not compare to other manufacturers.

Another thing is that while Samsung does develop Android phones, Samsung does not represent Android it self. S Voice for example works on the Galaxy S III but it may not be entirely compatible with Android phones from other manufacturers. So the best experience Android can offer is limited to the best phones their device manufacturers offer while other Android phones might be horrible. This means that even if the Samsung Galaxy S III is better than the iPhone 4S, it does not mean that Android is better than iOS.

I agree with one point at least that is, Samsung Galaxy SIII being better than iPhone does not mean Android itself is better than iPhone. But I have only been the fan of Galaxy SII and Galaxy Note. A part from that iPhone always dominated android platforms in my opinion. HTC is doing a good job but not good enough to impress me

I agree with one point at least that is, Samsung Galaxy SIII being better than iPhone does not mean Android itself is better than iPhone. But I have only been the fan of Galaxy SII and Galaxy Note. A part from that iPhone always dominated android platforms in my opinion. HTC is doing a good job but not good enough to impress me

I think Samsung can greatly improve the Galaxy S series if they use the stock Android interface & integrate their custom improvements in to that. If not that then they should at least allow their users to turn off or remove TouchWiz. The reason I say this is because in my opinion the stock Android interface is more polished & bug free compared to TouchWiz at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom