What's new

Sikh student not allowed on bus for wearing kirpan

Umair Nawaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
New York: A Sikh student in the US was not allowed to board a bus because he was wearing a knife called kirpan, a symbol of his faith, media reported.

Harsimran Singh, a student of University of California in Davis, said he was not allowed to board an Amtrak bus Saturday because the driver was against Singh wearing the ceremonial knife.

The student said he has travelled for the last two years with the knife in full view and had not had any issues till the incident Saturday, CBS News reported Wednesday.

"They don't say anything. They always wish me safe travel, and they continue on with their business... they didn't see me as a potential threat," Singh said.

According to the report, bus driver Al Smithee got concerned at the presence of a weapon on the bus.

"I'm doing 70 miles an hour down the freeway, and he slits my throat, and I crash and wreck, and kill five other people or oncoming traffic. You don't know," he was quoted as saying.

Smithee then called the police who then told Singh that he could board the bus if he stowed the kirpan.

But Singh did not agree and decided against the trip he had planned to visit his family.

http://www.sify.com/news/sikh-student-not-allowed-on-bus-for-wearing-kirpan-news-international-nkrsE8caidd.html?ref=slideout

The US general public is not aware about what does carrying of symbolic kirpan means for a sikh

[Bregs];4879585 said:
The US general public is not aware about what does carrying of symbolic kirpan means for a sikh

There should be sensitivity training for regular population as well? If its a weapon then the world we live in today deems it necessary to be in a safe place dictated by the flight captain, ship captain, bus driver etc. They are supposed to be in-charge of everyone including the person ceremoniously carrying a weapon. Plus this is how the western countries will get the heavy cultures to assimilate successfully if not in their life times, then their children's. Eventually it will happen. Only shells of their previous cultures will be forwarded to their next of kin.

You dont get on Amtrak with a dangerous looking knife mate. The driver wasnt against the culture but rather unaware.

There should be sensitivity training for regular population as well? If its a weapon then the world we live in today deems it necessary to be in a safe place dictated by the flight captain, ship captain, bus driver etc. They are supposed to be in-charge of everyone including the person ceremoniously carrying a weapon. Plus this is how the western countries will get the heavy cultures to assimilate successfully if not in their life times, then their children's. Eventually it will happen. Only shells of their previous cultures will be forwarded to their next of kin.

you are right the public dealing employees of the countries must be made aware of these symbolic religious practices in this globalized world

[Bregs];4879631 said:
you are right the public dealing employees of the countries must be made aware of these symbolic religious practices in this globalized world

The important question would be, why you would think it is important for Western culture to learn to live next to a different culture? Harmony? The western governments or the western populous do not believe in promoting any other culture other than their own. What exactly would be their profit in giving different cultures tax payer protection which would be against their melting pot mission? They have museums and the internet for people who would like to learn about other cultures and the numbers for that are not impressive at all. Thats life. Cannot live without your culture? There should be one such country in the world who can accommodate your need for it.

[Bregs];4879585 said:

Same way they dont know what beard and hijab means for Muslims.

[Bregs];4879585 said:

Same way they dont know what beard and hijab means for Muslims.

I've met several Sikhs, one at my university not too long ago, and I've tried to research a little into this on my own, but never really got a completely clear answer. Is Sikhism a branch/offshoot of Islam or Hinduism, or both?

The student said he has travelled for the last two years with the knife in full view and had not had any issues till the incident Saturday, CBS News reported Wednesday.

This one time I would go with the driver.

It is possible that some african tribe has it in them to carry a spear with them all the time. Sure, I will be sensitive to their customs but would not feel safe with him on the bus I drive.

He would be well advised to carry a folding one which is not visible and causes anxiety to others.

Why does the khalsa have to wear his kirpan in full view ?

This one time I would go with the driver.

It is possible that some african tribe has it in them to carry a spear with them all the time. Sure, I will be sensitive to their customs but would not feel safe with him on the bus I drive.

He would be well advised to carry a folding one which is not visible and causes anxiety to others.

Why does the khalsa have to wear his kirpan in full view ?

Do u know i carry Glock 19 round 9mm Pistol in my Vehicle all the time.:lol:

Its good yr an Indian.

Do u know i carry Glock 19 round 9mm Pistol in my Vehicle all the time.:lol:

Its good yr an Indian.

What does having to be an Indian have to do here ?

..and No, I do not know what you carry in your vehicle.

I carry a hip flask filled with Blenders Pride ( in summers) and Napoleon Brandy ( In winters) in the glove box of my car.

Where is the relevance to context ?

What does having to be an Indian have to do here ?

..and No, I do not know what you carry in your vehicle.

I carry a hip flask filled with Blenders Pride ( in summers) and Napoleon Brandy ( In winters) in the glove box of my car.

Where is the relevance to context ?

u said u will get scared if an African tribesman will be sitting besides u.
So i told u its good yr an Indian because if u were one of us, well u would have suffered a Heart Attack by seeing our Gun culture.

u said u will get scared if an African tribesman will be sitting besides u.
So i told u its good yr an Indian because if u were one of us, well u would have suffered a Heart Attack by seeing our Gun culture.

Arre ..

I wrote that if I were the bus driver..implying that being an american I am unaware of customs & traditions of far away lands.

The sikh gent ought not to be carrying his Kirpan in full view.

Similarly, you too I am sure would not carry your weapon in full view always.

I too own a .32 Colt. I avoid displaying it on my person , yet carry it when I feel the need.

Back
Top Bottom