What's new

'Shame Games' Put India Further Behind China

Molawchai

BANNED
Reaction score
'Shame Games' Put India Further Behind China - BusinessWeek

Posted by: Bruce Einhorn on September 26, 2010

Barring any more disasters, the Commonwealth Games will open in New Delhi on schedule after all. The fact that the games won’t be delayed or cancelled is a victory for India’s beleaguered Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Still, the games have already proved to be a disaster for the country and even if the rest of the games go off without a hitch, the images of crumbling infrastructure and ****** conditions will be hard to shake. The “Shame Games,” as an Indian magazine has dubbed them, will just reinforce the idea that corruption and mismanagement prevent India from matching the achievements of China.

American readers might be puzzled, asking who knows or cares about a second-tier event like the Commonwealth Games. Indians do care, though, and they long ago pointed to Delhi 2010 as India Shining’s answer to China’s success in staging the 2008 Olympics. This would be an event showing how India had overcome its corruption and mismanagement demons. The current failure therefore is about more than just whether some athletes don’t show up because of reports there’s poop on the walls in the living quarters. Here’s what Economic Times of India columnist Sudeshna Sen writes: “The disaster is economic and political. A setback to the country’s economic future , its geopolitical standing, its clout in places like UN and G20, et al. I don’t care what the Sensex is doing — we’re heading straight into Christmas bonus time when international traders need to spice up their earnings — the games disaster is going to make life very, very difficult for any politician, businessman, corporate, investor or diplomat in the future. Every single overseas investor who is being wooed for trillions of dollars to invest in India’s infrastructure will think thrice. Forget China and the Asian Games. Dear everyone, India is no longer considered in the same league as China, whatever we may wish to think.”

But China has plenty of corruption problems, too. And there’s no shortage of inept Chinese officials. So why does China succeed where India fails? Here’s one theory. In China, which executes more people than any other country, high level officials who screw up badly may face the death penalty if the country becomes an international laughing stock because of their actions. Consider the former head of the State Food and Drug Administration, Zheng Xiaoyu, executed in 2007 after a series of Made-in-China scares involving tainted food and drugs. Two people implicated in the tainted milk scandal, which left several children dead, thousands of others sickened and countries around the world shunning Chinese dairy products, were executed last November.

India, to its credit, rarely imposes the death penalty. But it rarely imposes any other penalties, either. The notoriously slow Indian legal system, where cases can languish for decades, makes it easy for corrupt officials to go ahead without any fear of punishment.

Kenyan athletes happy with Delhi facilities

Nairobi,Kenya - Before leaving for New Delhi, India, for the Commonwealth Games, the Kenyan contingent was a worried but after seeing for themselves efforts the hosts are making in ensuring that all was well at the GamesVillage, they are full of praise. Chef de mission Jonathan Koskei, speaking from India, said Monday they were happy with the conditions at the village which had raised concern among participating nations.

“We have participated in such Games in other countries. The facilities here may not be as good as in some countries, but we are happy with the facilities, that's why were are here,” he said.

Koskei who led Kenya's second batch to Delhi, arrived in the Indian capital Sunday morning.

Koskei said the conditions at the village were improving hour by hour, adding that training venues and facilities were in good conditions and that Kenyan athletes were already training.

In what would come as music to the ears of the Games Local Organizing Committee (LOC), the Kenyan delegation is having a ball at the much-criticised Athletes' Village and are happy with the facilities, especially the dining hall.

The para-athletes are impressed by the facilities available ahead of the event.

“We had read a lot about the facilities here and had our doubts. But now that we are here, things are totally different from what we had thought they would be,” Ronald Melchizedek, one of the Kenyan official, said.

Indian authorities must be working round the clock to redeem the country's image, dented by bad press.

There have been health and safety concerns more so after the collapse a footbridge at the village, the collapse of a boxer's bed and the snake spotted in a room at the Games Village.

Meanwhile, Kenyan boxers and a cyclists left Sunday morning alongside the overall team manager James Chacha and officials from the Youth Affairs and Sports Ministry.

Four badminton players will depart for the games Monday, while the largest batch is expected to leave on Friday.

Badminton coach John Odhiambo is confident that his team will give a good account of itself in Delhi.

Kenyan athletes happy with Delhi facilities

Kiwis in Delhi happy with what they've seen

More than a dozen Kiwi Commonwealth Games competitors are among the 1200 athletes who have arrived in Delhi so far.

After a week of doubts and criticism, optimism is growing that the venues and accommodation will be ready in time.

With just five days to go until the start of the Games, the rest of the New Zealand team is due to arrive in India over the next 24 hours.

And the athletes themselves told ONE News they were reasonably impressed with what they had seen so far, including security levels.

Archer Stephen Clifton said, "It looks pretty impressive, there are lots of guys with guns, hopefully to keep us safe."

Chef de Mission Dave Currie said today the venue was very different from the "bomb site" it was two weeks ago.

The accommodation was not five star, "but it's clean and tidy," he said.

"One of the challenges we feared would happen was that, as they (the organisers) have more pressure on the village, they would struggle to keep ahead of it," he told NZPA.

"They're keeping ahead of it. They've got a lot of cleaners and workers here, but I understand there are still a few countries experiencing problems."

New Zealand's lawn bowls team, coached by Dave Edwards, arrived in Delhi this morning.

"The facilities are not up to the standards the team is used to but they are habitable and functional," Edwards said.

Advertisement

"Obviously, there's been a bit of work go in over the past few days, but as far as we're concerned, it's fine."

There were still a few disappointing aspects which were not up to New Zealand standards, he said.

"But the plumbing is working at the moment and the air conditioning is working. It will be fine, I'm sure it won't be a problem for us," Edwards said.

And Edwards said the rooms were a good size.

"There's horror stories from previous Commonwealth Games where you roll over in the middle of the night and give your neighbour in the bed next door a black eye," he said.

"But these are roomy and spacious in that regard and the rest of the village is all fine. The dining hall is excellent."

Tight security slows movement

Currie said transport was "a bit of a problem" in getting fine-tuned because of the tight security measures in place, but he said organisers were "certainly doing what they said they would".

"There's some delays... with the security at the village here... and getting into the training venues. Because of the heightened security, getting these movements streamlined has been a challenge."

It was starting to look more like a games venue and less like the ghost town it had been, Currie told Radio New Zealand.

Currie also confirmed it had been decided that the only reason the athletes could leave the village is to train and compete.

He said while it's a sad decision to make, it was also a necessary one.

The team had been briefed on the importance of wearing insect repellent to avoid contracting dengue fever, a mosquito-borne virus, and using hand sanitiser to keep hygiene levels up.

Last week the unhygienic state of the accommodation areas, and the amount of work that still needed to be done, cast doubt on the Games, which are due to open on Sunday and run until October 14.

The situation led the New Zealand Olympic Committee to delay the arrival of the first New Zealand athletes into the village from last Saturday to today.

Today Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said that they were racing against time, but that "we will perform".

"Please don't take a negative story, I wish you could all be more positive, because these will be very good games."

Kiwis in Delhi happy with what they've seen | COMMONWEALTH GAMES News

Indian athletes happy with Games Village

NEW DELHI: This will surely sound music to the CWG organizers. A day after horrifying pictures of stained Commonwealth Games Village dwellings were flashed all over, raising a question mark over its 'livability,' Indian athletes who have moved into the village gave it a thumbs-up.

"The TT Team arrived on Thursday and gave me the feedback on the village. According to them it is very impressive. They rated food as very good and rooms as well furnished. Their is little problem with the toilets now," said Dhanraj, secretary, Table Tennis Federation of India.

Various agencies seem to have got their act together at last though only after the name of India got besmirched.
Bhawani Mukherji, chief coach of the TT team, who arrived with a 17-member squad at the Games Village on Thursday, also concurred with Dhanraj's view. "The facilities at the Games Village are very good. There are no hitches. Security is top class. Nobody can enter the Village. My players are very happy," said Mukherji.

On being asked if their was any sore points, Mukherji responded in the negative." There is none. The village is very huge place. There might be small things but even at our own houses, their is always something, no matter how much you clean it. Moreover, it's not the time to criticise. The only thing I would have suggested is to have a master map containing details of the whole Village. But they have got small boards which guide you. Moreover, the volunteers are very cordial and are there to help you.

"In fact, yesterday I was standing on one of these towers, I told my manager that it felt as if I was not in Delhi. It compares to the best that I have seen across the world. Inside the village, you don't feel as if you are in India. Only while you are going to training in the team bus, you realise you are in Delhi.'

Hockey coach Harendra Singh also sounded upbeat and said," The team has settled down very well in the Village. The boys are having a great time and the food is terrific."

Indian athletes happy with Games Village - The Times of India

I am Delhite and ask me! there is no problem at all with the infra,yes the conditions of the Games village might be bad,but the city has got the infra needed which is world class and accomodable,you should not consider the reports of some magazines who want to add spice to the news!

Many athletes have already approved the city of its infra and cleanliness so thats where it ends!

Even the Canadian sports minister rang up to the Indian one,saying that Canada had no problems at all and that Canada had problems even severe than these when they hosted Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.

So just chill and watch the games being a huge success.

England players surprised by 'perfect conditions'

Tue, Sep 28 06:22 AM
The England women's hockey squad arrived here on Monday afternoon and were pleasantly surprised by the facilities for the athletes at the Commonwealth Games Village. The squad, part of the second batch of English athletes to arrive, checked in around 3 pm and were impressed by what they saw. "We were kind of concerned back home and did not know exactly what to expect. But it's just perfect out here," said Beth Storry, the team's goalkeeper.

News about security concerns and an unfinished Games Village had painted a gloomy picture for these England players. "Our parents were concerned; obviously, with all the news that we were getting back home, it was tough to decide to come. But I have just finished sending an e-mail back home, telling them to relax and not to get worried. Everything is being taken care of. We have absolutely nothing to get worked up about," Storry said at the Games Village.

She added that the residential blocks were much better than what they expected. "I guess the media back home just went into an overdrive, hyped up things a bit too much. From what we have seen so far - and it isn't much - things are great, the apartments are spacious and really nice and clean, the dining hall is fantastic; I have no problems whatsoever," she said.

Team mate and England striker Alex Danson agreed, saying what they have seen was nothing like what they had heard back home. "There was too much of negativity back home in the media and otherwise. But this place is absolutely great," she said. Danson, who wishes to be a teacher sometime in future and is interested in learning about Sikhism, said she was always interested in coming to India and thought this would have been the perfect opportunity.

"But then all the negative stuff started coming in and there were doubts. But I am glad I didn't decide to pull out or I would have missed it all," she said.

England players pleasantly surprised by 'perfect conditions' - Yahoo! India News[/QUOTE]

Well.. A lot of people had something to cheer about on the weekend with the adverse media reports and what not.. For my those Pakistani (or thai - maybe) friends who were enjoying those news... Well, all good things come to an end, and going by some of the statements coming in from the visitor teams, the season for bashing the CWG village seems to be closing. There may still be scattered instances, but barring a terror strike by some non state actors, I dont see any major ridiculing opportunities for the detractors of this game.

As they say... Game on...

Last edited:
Leave everyhting aside, somone has to explain how India is put further behind China even if India is facing issues with games. In other words, If India was not the host it would not be behind. If it is host and succesfully executes it does that mean India has got upper hand with respect to China. Certainly NO. So the entire blah blah is just media hype.

However have no doubts, India will pull the game off with success.

Ok, the gap between China and India widens due to CWG mismanagement, agreed. But it really doesn't matter as long as both China & India are progressing, one may be faster than the other, but progressing faster than any other country. And no matter how much the gap increase, it still will be like:

China----------India----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------rest.

Just some media guys are over critical of the few issues, I am very sure all those issues of not so clean rooms are just superficial, and that kind of issue just needs a thorogh cleanup by the cleaners.

I am sure that the CWG will be very good and all the Athletes and officials will have a good time and we will all enjoy the best of the sports.

Games organisers could have done better than leave it to the last minute and give a chance to malign the country's reputation. I think all the things will fall in place come October 3rd.

Well, it is indeed true that the facilities are not as bad as was made out initially, and that a lot of good work has been done at the last moment to iron out all the basic issues.

But the point the well-known anti-India troll poster is making is also correct - India's reputation has been dented, and it will take some time, and a lot of PR, to reverse that.

This statement, in particular, is very true:

India, to its credit, rarely imposes the death penalty. But it rarely imposes any other penalties, either. The notoriously slow Indian legal system, where cases can languish for decades, makes it easy for corrupt officials to go ahead without any fear of punishment.

Completing the games successfully in every aspect from here on, is a good start to the effort we will have to make to reverse the damage already caused.

The media always exaggerates everything. They just want to sell more papers.

Before the Beijing Olympics, the media wrote all these negative stories about "toxic pollution" and possible "separatist attacks".

Now, nobody even remembers it.

After India pulls off a successful CWG, no one will remember these negative stories either.

The media always exaggerates everything. They just want to sell more papers.

Before the Beijing Olympics, the media wrote all these negative stories about "toxic pollution" and possible "separatist attacks".

Now, nobody even remembers it.

After India pulls off a successful CWG, no one will remember these negative stories either.

Now I can understand how the Chinese must have felt at that time. I was wondering why some Chinese posters are making such a big deal about media coverage in 2008 before the olympics! Now I understand.

For next time India should concentrate feeding and sheltering It's millions of poor and homeless rather than wasting time and energy in such ''Big Deals''

Now Indians don't get mad at me as usual, Just Be Realistic.

First take care of Pakistan!
Its surviving on foreign aid!!
For our poors...
We have more rich than poors now and we are improving rapidly,unlike you!
:woot:

Back
Top Bottom