What's new

Shahed-136 - Tracking usage & expanding understanding.

These are dangerous drones for sure.

These drones were wrecking havoc on Ukrainian infrastructure but NATO supplies made it possible for Ukraine to engage these drones and blunt their impact. Ukraine has built excellent defenses in Kyiv and using Gepards in other sectors to counter this threat.

Gepard - 1960s air defense concept - regained importance. Old is Gold sometimes.

This is instructive case study.

I really cant believe Ukraine and NATO havent come up with an effective solution to GERANIS in this war, not doing so could potentially cost Ukraine its country, lol.

Geraniums to Ukraine war = IEDs to Afghanistan war?

Cheap but cost effective solution that ends up breaking the back of the "technologically advanced" adversary.
Gerans aren't doing anything anymore, they're practically all being shot down

There is no good solution to counter Shaheds as the issue here is cost of production and volume. If they can solve their supply chain issues with fabricating enough systems to tackle Shaheds economically, then the threat they pose becomes significantly reduced. Yet Russia/Iran can rely on sheer volume of fire, exponentially increasing costs to defend as a remediation effort.

These cheap, long range cruise missiles are a true headache to deal with.
Iron Dome missiles probably cost the same as Shahed if not less than it by now.

Cannon based air defenses are also very effective, but the west unfortunately backed out of it.

Laser systems would be the downfall of Iranian rockets and drones.

Looks to be new canister launchers for the s-136.
136.jpg

Last edited:
Cannon based air defenses are also very effective, but the west unfortunately backed out of it.
I want to make a modern day version of this:
1695290461192.png

imagine each artillery brigade has a battery of these with AESA radars and some guided ammo.

For those who might not know, this is a FlaK 38 10,5 one of the most successful anti aircraft guns of WWII.

This shot down more planes than the famous 88mm per tonnage of ammo, a very, very high velocity gun.

Last edited:
I want to make a modern day version of this:
View attachment 954973

imagine each artillery brigade has a battery of these with AESA radars and some guided ammo.

For those who might not know, this is a FlaK 38 10,5 one of the most successful anti aircraft guns of WWII.

This shot down more planes than the famous 88mm per tonnage of ammo, a very, very high velocity gun.
Reminds me of Iran's radar/EO-guided Sa'eer which is based on a reverse-engineered Soviet KS-19 100 mm AAA gun:

Reminds me of Iran's radar/EO-guided Sa'eer which is based on a reverse-engineered Soviet KS-19 100 mm AAA gun:

Yeah, basically this, but those shells don't look like they are guided, I don't see any fins or a seeker or anything

I want something ultra modern, with a large AESA search radar shared in the battery, and smaller AESA targeting radars on individual guns.

Guided, airburst ammo, ammo with programmable fuses, IIR guided ammo, an autoloader that can choose between these ammo types etc.

Imagine Turkish Korkut gun had sex with Italian 76mm but in 105mm, same caliber with light artillery.

Technology of a really advanced naval gun but without the weigh limitations of a ship.

Last edited:
Apart from everything, I said here in 15/16 that Iran is really good in 3 things:
UAV's, BM's & Counter Intel. They were ahead of curve in these long ago. It's about how they move forward now. That's their strength, their weakness is conventional warfare.

Apart from everything, I said here in 15/16 that Iran is really good in 3 things:
UAV's, BM's & Counter Intel.

• Cruise missiles
  • Air defense systems
  • Radars (AESA, PESA, OTH, etc)
  • IR/optics technology
  • Small displacement Submarines
  • ATGM and PGM
  • Small arms
  • Speedboats
Iran is top 5 in the world in all these categories

Gerans aren't doing anything anymore, they're practically all being shot down
Videos on telegram seem to suggest something more mixed than "aren't doing anything anymore".

• Cruise missiles
  • Air defense systems
  • Radars (AESA, PESA, OTH, etc)
  • IR/optics technology
  • Small displacement Submarines
  • ATGM and PGM
  • Small arms
  • Speedboats
Iran is top 5 in the world in all these categories
Conceptually, all of these have been proven, unveiled etc...

The concern comes with economics and the ability to produce these in sufficient numbers that makes the difference. Bavar-373 for example, how affordable is it's search radar especially when considering annual military spending.

Back
Top Bottom