What's new

Seleucus Nicator's Invasion of India, c.306-303 BC

Arabs won battles only in Sindh nowhere else. They tried their hand in Rajasthan and lost. If they had won "a bunch of other battles" they would have extended their rule beyond Sindh.

LOL I meant in terms of their empire. Anyway my point was after the battle of rajasthan they never responded because of battles with Europeans, not soon after most of Sindh and Punjab became defacto independent states with Shia Islam as the religion.

That one battle was decisive but the Arabs constantly tried to make their way into India for a long period of time but falied.

Nah after that battle Sindh and some areas North actually became autonomous.

The Greeks ran away plain and simple after getting a bloody nose from Raju Puru, nobody is denying their bravery and achievements otherwise.
Fighting wars away from home is no easy task and the fact that the Greeks made it that far into india after defeating the Persian Empire goes to show their capabilities. Not sure how the mauryans would have fared had they attempted any similar expedition towards Greece.

Cant imagine them going too far with those elephants.

That one battle was decisive but the Arabs constantly tried to make their way into India for a long period of time but falied.
Chandra gupta was himself impressed by greeks of their soilder capabilities ,dicipline,warcraft there some sources which say that chanakya infiltrated chandra gupta into greek army as indian mercinary to learn war tactics from them to face his aarch rival dhana nanda of nanda empire

LOL I meant in terms of their empire. Anyway my point was after the battle of rajasthan they never responded because of battles with Europeans, not soon after most of Sindh and Punjab became defacto independent states with Shia Islam as the religion.

Nah after that battle Sindh and some areas North actually became autonomous.

IIRC Sindh was governed by muslim rulers and northern areas by Hindu rulers (Hindu Shahis ???)

Arabs still ruled Sindh after the loss at the Battle of Rajasthan . Al-Masudi a traveller from Baghdad wrote in his account how Pratihara ruler Bhoja would fight with the muslim rulers west of Indus. This was much later than the battle of Rajasthan . These were not major battles rather skirmishes but the fight for territories with Arabs continued well over a century.

Fighting wars away from home is no easy task and the fact that the Greeks made it that far into india after defeating the Persian Empire goes to show their capabilities. Not sure how the mauryans would have fared had they attempted any similar expedition towards Greece.

Your post 229 and 242 are exactly same

IIRC Sindh was governed by muslim rulers and northern areas by Hindu rulers (Hindu Shahis ???)

Arabs still ruled Sindh after the loss at the Battle of Rajasthan . Al-Masudi a traveller from Baghdad wrote in his account how Pratihara ruler Bhoja would fight with the muslim rulers west of Indus. This was much later than the battle of Rajasthan . These were not major battles rather skirmishes but the fight for territories with Arabs continued well over a century.

Those were no longer Arab forces, Masudi wrote during Abbasid period and during Abbasids most lands became autonomous especially everything East of Baghdad. If there were battles it was with local rulers and forces of those areas.

Let's not get carried away, by all accounts Alexander wanted to fight but his men lost the will to do so.
His advisors told him not to. Nanda Army was extra ordinarily strong at the time. War elephants numbering in thousands. Puru barely had 100's.

Those were no longer Arab forces, Masudi wrote during Abbasid period and during Abbasids most lands became autonomous especially everything East of Baghdad. If there were battles it was with local rulers and forces of those areas.

They were very much Arab , not under the flag of Umaayid caliphate as was the case during the Battle of Rajasthan . Umar al-Habbari II was the ruler of Sindh when Masudi visited Sindh. After the loss in Battle of Rajasthan arabs made Mansura ,on the west side of Indus their capital.

Habbari dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I already said skirmishes for territories were obviously with local rulers like Pratihara king Bhoja mentioned by Masudi who ruled over Gujarat and Rajasthan.

Every Turkic who dares to cross india will get shot down. Turkics are hung by their balls in china and were surrender monkeys to Soviets and then Russians. Look at the Kazakhs, turkmens etc. Turkics are insignificant in the world. Indians don't care about you lot. Only pakistanis do.
You Bharatis do care, that is why you still have the Taj Mahal which the Mughals built :lol:

@atatwolf see how much the Turks gave to these indians.

Your post 229 and 242 are exactly same
My last post was meant to emphasize that particular point, ie that the Greeks most likely withdrew due to the logistical problems caused by fighting a campaign thousands of kilometers from home, otherwise i don't see how a small army of Greeks capable of defeating the Persian Empire would stop and flee at the sight of a few isolated indians resisting them.

You Bharatis do care, that is why you still have the Taj Mahal which the Mughals built :lol:
Same reason we still have and protect the tombs of many a useless kings. They are Indian heritage and history.

My last post was meant to emphasize that particular point, ie that the Greeks most likely withdrew due to the logistical problems caused by fighting a campaign thousands of kilometers from home, otherwise i don't see how a small army of Greeks capable of defeating the Persian Empire would stop and flee at the sight of a few isolated indians resisting them.
Because there were no 'few isolated Indians resisting them'. First it was Puru and his Army that Alexander had to go through. And then waiting at the end of the line was the Nanda Empire.
Puru's kingdom did not even have 1/100 th of the military might of the Nanda's. Alexander's army had maximum difficulty in dealing with the war elephants. Puru had round 150 elephants and they created havoc with Alexanders army.

Nanda with over 5000 war elephants and infantry that outnumbered the Greeks in multiple times, had already assembled in anticipation of Alexander's attack.

You dont fight a war you are sure to lose.

Last edited:
You couldn't be more wrong, the Nanda Empire had at least 9000 war elephants and triple the infantry that Alexander possessed.

Well, you deserved it :)
Deserved what?

Same reason we still have and protect the tombs of many a useless kings. They are Indian heritage and history.
Well, according to the indian member's (@jandk) post to which my post (the one you quoted) was in response to, indians don't care.

Turks are Turks. In the past there were no Anatolian or Afghan Turks. There were Turks. You were our subordinates. You had to do what we say. In plain english.

Please, you Anatolians were stripped of your culture and language by so many people. Turks came in and completely did the job Persians, Greeks, etc couldnt do.

Back
Top Bottom