What's new

Seleucus Nicator's Invasion of India, c.306-303 BC

:disagree:
Afghans ruled Turks more then they ruled us , we ruled Sikhs more then they ruled us :smitten:

True for the latter but for the former ?

I really don't think Afghans ruled Turks more than Turks ruling Afghans. Anyway I was speaking in the context of India. Turks were far more successful and effective than Pashtuns. Pashtuns were weaker than Turks in the Indian context.

I really don't think Afghans ruled Turks more than Turks ruling Afghans. Anyway I was speaking in the context of India. Turks were far more successful and effective than Pashtuns. Pashtuns were weaker than Turks in the Indian context.
Though it was A Pashtun who opened the portal to North India and exposed it to other Invaders
(Talking about Ghouri your fav ruler b/w) :D

Ahmad Shah never wanted to rule over more of south Asia than what he already had, read his poems. Besides if you really want to know about him then refer to British accounts of him where their agents were scared that he would come east and war with the company, they called him the King of Kings in their reports. :woot:

@EyanKhan

Yeah, he was a force to be reckoned with but the best military strategists and generals in my opinion where Hannibal, Sun Tzu and Abdali.
Subutai was the greatest one ever IMO
Hannibal def top 10
Abdali a great general though not a Top 10 in my opinion .

Ok, your wish is my command.

ever read about Subutai?
No, I only know Asha tai, who was Subutai? Tell tell?
Greatest general ever , Conquered more land then anyone in history !!

Though it was A Pashtun who opened the portal to North India and exposed it to other Invaders
(Talking about Ghouri your fav ruler b/w) :D

Yaar let's not get into the debate of Ghouri's ethnicity. I am sure you know that there is no historical consensus about his ethnic background. He could have been Tajik or Turk or even Pashtun. This is not a debate I want because there is no historical consensus on this.

Anyway, it was that 11th century Turkic dude Ghaznavi who opened that portal to North India, Ghourids came much later.

Yaar let's not get into the debate of Ghouri's ethnicity. I am sure you know that there is no historical consensus about his ethnic background. He could have been Tajik or Turk or even Pashtun. This is not a debate I want because there is no historical consensus on this.

Anyway, it was that 11th century Turkic dude Ghaznavi who opened that portal to North India, Ghouris came much later.
Ghaznavi is a sensitive topic with Indians as i see it lol
Though I'l disagree with you here even though Ghaznavi has raided India he had never fully exposed India as we saw How well PRChauhan was able to defend India in the first battle of Tarain , the Rajputs were a strong force before that. Even he(ghouri) himself did not rule Delhi directly but now North India was a The go to Target for the invaders , it was rich and in a weak state meaning ripe for the taking.

On a sidenote you are right nobody can out a 100percent claim on his ethnicity though I'd point out that the Ghor tribe is Pashtun to this day :)

I am interested in the Greek civilization and the Roman Republic/Empire. Actually, I'd rather learn about them than any of the 'native' ones, lol.

Oh, almost forgot: the Rashiduns.

EDIT: Mesopotamia, ancient Egypt and the Chinese history are also fascinating.

Ahmad Shah never wanted to rule over more of south Asia than what he already had, read his poems. Besides if you really want to know about him then refer to British accounts of him where their agents were scared that he would come east and war with the company, they called him the King of Kings in their reports. :woot:

@EyanKhan

Yaar what he wanted or didn't want to do is one thing but when you look at history, Pashtuns kings had only three dynasties in India - Lodis(small empire in the North), Suris( again only in the North), Durrani (only limited to Punjab). [Not counting ghourids here since we are not sure of their ethnic background). All 3 dynasties were short-lived.

Compare this with the raids of Ghaznavi, then the setting up of the Delhi Sultunate by Qutbuddin Aibak , a Turk followed by two more Turkic empires i.e. Khiljis and Tughlaqs. Khiljis are credited with keeping the Mongols at bay and Tughlaqs formed the largest dynasty of the Delhi Sultunate period. This was followed by Timur's invasion (another Turk). Later the Mughal empire which was the Greatest Muslim empire in South Asia and also one of the greatest overall in Indian history was also Turkic. The invasion of Nadir Shah in 1739, he too was an Afsharid Turk.

As you can see , I believe that at least 80 % of all Muslim military success in South Asia can be attributed to Turks.

Last edited:
I am interested in the Greek civilization and the Roman Republic/Empire. Actually, I'd rather learn about them than any of the 'native' ones, lol.

Oh, almost forgot: the Rashiduns.
Completed the Rashiduns , ask away 8-)

Alot of Roman history and considerable Greek :azn:

Read about the Romans you won't regret it

Ghaznavi is a sensitive topic with Indians as i see it lol
Though I'l disagree with you here even though Ghaznavi has raided India he had never fully exposed India as we saw How well PRChauhan was able to defend India in the first battle of Tarain , the Rajputs were a strong force before that. Even he(ghouri) himself did not rule Delhi directly but now North India was a The go to Target for the invaders , it was rich and in a weak state meaning ripe for the taking.

On a sidenote you are right nobody can out a 100percent claim on his ethnicity though I'd point out that the Ghor tribe is Pashtun to this day :)

Ghaznavi becomes a sensitive topic amongst Indians only when some Pakistanis start celebrating his temple destruction spree in North India in the 11th century. Any self respecting Indian and/or Hindu would feel offended.

Back
Top Bottom