What's new

Saudi Arabia offers $10 million aid for typhoon-hit Philippines

Arabian Legend

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
King Abdullah bin Abdelaziz, of Saudi Arabia, ordered on Friday a $10 million donation for the typhoon- stricken Philippines.

Saudi Finance Minister Ibrahim al- Assaf made the announcement, saying the amount will be transferred to a special account in coordination with the Philippine government, Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

Saudi Arabia gave its condolences to the Philippines last week in a telegram that the Saudi monarch addressed to President Benigno Aquino.

“We have heard the painful news of the typhoon that struck your friendly country which resulted in deaths, injuries and damage. We are sure you can overcome this disaster and we present you and the families of the victims and the people of the Philippines on behalf of the people and the government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia our deep condolences and sincere sympathy, hoping you will not see any harm,” the telegram read.

The death toll from last week’s super typhoon is now at least 4,460, the United Nations said on Friday, citing regional officials. The country’s national disaster council maintained a much lower figure.

The United Arab Emirates also announced $10 million support and assistance program for the Philippines.

World powers have also mobilized emergency aid over the past week. The United States and Britain sent on Monday several warships, including an aircraft carrier.

Typhoon Haiyan, one of the most powerful storms on record, struck six central Philippine islands last week, wiping away buildings and leveling seaside homes with ferocious winds of 235 kilometers per hour.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...-million-aid-for-typhoon-hit-Philippines.html

Akj96.gif
Akj96.gif
Akj96.gif
Akj96.gif

Finally, one Muslim country stepped up. Where are the others? This is so shameful of us. I mean of the nations able to provide. I know many can't in their situation to be fair.

Finally, one Muslim country stepped up. Where are the others? This is so shameful of us. I mean of the nations able to provide. I know many can't in their situation to be fair.

Deputy Prime Minister Beşir Atalay departed late Nov. 10 from Ankara to the Philippines with a cargo plane of 65 tons of relief supplies. “The first batch of aid includes tents, blankets, kitchen tools and other necessary equipment,” Atalay said before his departure, adding the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD) and Turkish International Cooperation and Development Agency (TIKA) would continue to supply aid after needs were determined. Presidents of AFAD and the Turkish Red Crescent, Fuat Oktay and Ahmet Lütfi Akar will accompany the deputy prime minister.

INTERNATIONAL - Turkey joins relief efforts in Philippines

And is it all down to numbers? When it comes to humanitarian aid, the US is the largest donor, with an estimated $3.8bn last year. But it is also the richest. Some might argue that China, as a developing country blighted by poverty itself, should not be compared with Japan and the UK in terms of the amount it gives. Luxembourg gave the most in humanitarian aid last year as a percentage of GDP (0.16 per cent). Sweden and Turkey came second and third respectively.
Scant relief: China has pledged only £125,000 to help the Philippines recover from Super Typhoon Haiyan - Asia - World - The Independent

We need to stand with the Philippines in this time.

China did donate as well. 

We do donate whenever a crisis is seen like in Haiti and elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom