What's new

Saras: How much indigenous is it???

Titanium

Reaction score
saras2.jpg

saras2vf6.jpg

saras1.jpg

I must say Saras is a nice looking aircraft and definitely fill a niche in the market.

But looking at all the indian so called indigenous achievements, I have a question.

HOW MUCH SARAS IS INDIGENOUS???

Indigenous as in .....you know :azn:

All suggestion are :welcome:

Pictures are beautiful . . Between this design contain lot of basic designing flaws and mis pointed engineering works. . . So two days Before only russian team arrives here assist us. . Other than that landing hear only imported. . When it came to service it become another milestone in our aeronautic field. .:yahoo:

Added after discussion: 2/6/2010

Final Result, as agreed by all:smitten:

Last edited:
The engine is imported from cannada made by Pratt & Whitney

DUDE GET A LIFE ENGINE WILL BE SOLD WITH PROPELLERS

Not necessarily, many times, propellers are of some other origin, while engine is of some other.

To give an example, the Chinese export oriented Y-8F600 model has P&W engines and British propeller system.

Another example of the X2 Technology flight demonstrator by Sikorsky,

Blades: Eagle Aviation Technologies is to provide the blades.

Propeller: Aero Composites, Inc. will build the six-bladed propulsor

while the engine is LHTEC T800 turboshaft, Light Helicopter Turbine Engine Company.

Thus all 3 systems from different companies.

So its a valid question. No need for him to get a life.

And by the way, check it up, but as far as my knowledge is concerned, Saras propellers are from Hartzell Propeller Inc, a US company.

Check it out: http://www.airframer.com/direct_detail.html?company=120210

http://www.airframer.com/aircraft_detail.html?model=NAL%20Saras

This is what found of SARAS engine and propeller:

Selection of engine-propeller combination:
Since PT6A-67A engine that was flying in Beech star was selected for SARAS PT -2 , the obvious choice would have been the same propeller driven by this engine on the BEECH aircraft. McCauley, USA supplied the propeller for the Starship power plant. McCauley have stopped the prod uction of this propeller and they have no interest in starting the production line again only for one customer. The other alternatives were also explored and finally discussion held with MT propellers of Germany and a propeller development programme was f inalized. Broad details of the 1200 SHP, 1700rpm propeller for PT2 are given for the purpose. MT propeller has been in business of development of propellers for the past nearly 25 yrs for general aviation aircraft. They also have developed larger propeller s for various specific applications and have enough experience in design and development of propellers. They also have a
facility in Poland(AVIA) to design and develop large metallic propeller(Since last 75 years). The total system weight of Hartzell prope ller is 93 kg with Aluminum hub to be qualified with Aluminum material and 108 kg for MT propeller. After the comparison of propulsive efficiency of the MT and Hartzell propeller, MT propeller was chosen as it has higher efficiency. Because of the competi tive cost, aggressive development schedules and the rich experience behind, MT propeller was selected for Saras PT2.
The test propeller was delivered and 200hrs of endurance test have been completed successfully at NAL facilities, as part of certification tests, along with PT6A-67A engine. The engine-propeller combination has thus been proven for SARAS PT2 aircraft

http://www.dgca.gov.in/accident/reports/VT-XRM.pdf

Last edited:
I am no expert ,so if i post some mistakes please rectify it :cheers:

Indigenous software development for civil aircraft system

Presently, there is a boom in the aviation industry. Until recently, India had been buying all kinds of aircraft right from jumbo-jet to small executive class. But due to the foresight of our scientists and to make our country march towards the goal of self reliance in technology development, programs were initiated to set foot in the aviation industry. Towards this effort, initially, the prestigious Light Combat Aircraft, Tejas was started in the military sector and a trainer aircraft Hansa in the civil sector. Subsequently, SARAS, a multi role aircraft was planned and currently the program is going on successfully towards Limited Series Production and certification. Lot of indigenous effort in various aircraft domains has taken place successfully for the SARAS aircraft to provide the self-reliance. This paper talks about one of such success story of the indigenous development of a safety critical software for civil aerospace application first time in the country. The software is developed for the Stall Warning and the Aircraft Interface Computer system which is an integral part of the SARAS avionics. The entire software development process from the requirement phase to the certification phase is described. The system is being used as part of the avionics for the country’s first 14-seater aircraft. The success of the software development has been proven by the successful flights of the SARAS aircraft and the analysis of the data collected during the flight tests proves the correctness and reliability of the system. The software design, development and qualification experience and the successful flight trials of the embedded system developed as per the civil standard certification has initiated more design projects in the organization saving a lot of money for the organization and the country providing a premier base for achieving self reliance in software development for civil aviation.

NAL Institutional Repository - Indigenous software development for civil aircraft system

uhm.. I would never fly in that plane.
the fugly model tells me enough.
why not make a jetplane?
or put the propellers somehwere else?

why not make a jetplane?

You are not allowed to fly in it :toast_sign: we are also making jet planes :bunny:

why not make a jetplane?

Who told you we arent making Jet passenger Aircraft??

Ever wondered what this is??

in_mta2_001.jpg

Well This is non Other than The Passenger variant of MTA in which HAL will be the lead partner and principal integrator, and will be built in HAL's Transport Aircraft Division in Kanpur

Its really amusing to see some members being so stuck up on the word "indigenous"! Really!!?

In the pure sense of the term, NO, none of the technologically advanced products any country makes are "indigenous". Blatant copyright infringement and copying does not count as indigenous, no matter what some may claim to be otherwise. So there it is. Its also highly amusing and ridiculous that many here come up with really ridiculously absurd numbers, quoting them as percentage "indigenous". How people come up with such 'interesting' numbers is beyond me! Get a life people.

The important thing here is India is developing industrial capabilities to design and manufacture such technologically advanced products, considering the fact that Indian economy was originally envisioned as an agrarian one!

Indigenous is a very relative term. In the context of Indian made products, especially in this case of aircrafts, "indigenous" means the capability to design and manufacture the product in India. Period.

Back
Top Bottom