What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

The J-31 is a stealth fighter, meaning that once it opens up the door for other planes, the 4.5 gen fighters will do the rest. The payload of the J-31 depends on the thrust to weight ratio, which will be comparable to the F-35.

So J-31 is essentially a precursor to 4.5 gen jets and not a true frontline air-dominance jet like
FGFA or F-22.

Lemme me explain to you something - gone are the days when a jet has a rely on another to achieve
upper hand in battle. The IAF mentality regarding these matter is quite different from that of PAF
or PLAAF.

There is nothing that 4.5 gen jets you're talking about can do against an airspace dominated by PAKFAs,
which the J-31s will fail to overcome in the first place. and 2ndly, do you think IAF doesn't have
4.5 gen planes or what? Oh boy we're getting 300 MKIs and >200 Rafales and ~150 Tejas variants or
so performing different roles.

Each plane in IAF can fight its own war. its better not to waste money on a jet that would be helpless
without support of 4.5 gen jets, FGFAs can fight their own war, while MKIs, Rafales etc. concentrate
on the background duties. The 5th gen plane is one thats LEADS the air campiagns, not one that
sits behind 4.5 gen jets to fight its war.

As i have explained above, J-31 deployment in a battlefield involving hostile PAKFA/FGFA will be
counter-productive.

This source mentions that the DSI limit is actually Mach 2.0, and even it mentions that it is possible to fly faster than Mach 2.0 with DSI with new designs, which the J-20 does (i.e. variable geometry DSI on the J-10). Code One Magazine: JSF Diverterless Supersonic Inlet Also, like I said, DSI has huge advantages in stealth, something the T-50 needs to work with.

The J-31 incorporates all of the upgrades on the F-35 and T-50, which, by the way, still lacks the two "S" to complete its 5th generation definition: stealth and supermaneuverability. Even though we do not know much, the images suggest that the J-31 already has a major stealth advantage over the T-50.

Maybe for F-35 which is less draggy than J-20, and has higher TWR.

You're being a fool to say T-50 doesn't have stealth and supermaneuverability. PAKFA is the most
maneuevrable jet fighter out there.

Id rather stick to my source rather than dillude myself with your magazine
theory.

This source mentions that the DSI limit is actually Mach 2.0, and even it mentions that it is possible to fly faster than Mach 2.0 with DSI with new designs, which the J-20 does (i.e. variable geometry DSI on the J-10). Code One Magazine: JSF Diverterless Supersonic Inlet Also, like I said, DSI has huge advantages in stealth, something the T-50 needs to work with.

The J-31 incorporates all of the upgrades on the F-35 and T-50, which, by the way, still lacks the two "S" to complete its 5th generation definition: stealth and supermaneuverability. Even though we do not know much, the images suggest that the J-31 already has a major stealth advantage over the T-50.

While you think and dillude yourself that PAKFA lacks the 2 "S". You dont realise that J-31 is lacking the others,

the only "S" J-31 completes thus far is stealth. even that is not as good as the comparable F-35 becoz
of many wing-form surface discontinuties.

The horizontal stabs should be blending into the trailing edge of the main wings
and not supposed to stick out like that, like an F-16 or F/A-18. J-20's canards
have the same problem - surface discontinuity.

Chinese jets stealth is not fully up to the mark either.

While you think and dillude yourself that PAKFA lacks the 2 "S". You dont realise that J-31 is lacking the others,

the only "S" J-31 completes thus far is stealth. even that is not as good as the comparable F-35 becoz
of many wing-form surface discontinuties.

The horizontal stabs should be blending into the trailing edge of the main wings
and not supposed to stick out like that, like an F-16 or F/A-18. J-20's canards
have the same problem - surface discontinuity.

Chinese jets stealth is not fully up to the mark either.

People know everything about Russian jets. How the hell do you anything know about Chinese J-20 or J-31, you Indians?

While the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex and the Chengdu Aircraft Industries Corporation (CAC) have ostensibly developed the JF-17 jointly, analysts say most of the development was done by CAC
Ajai Shukla / New Delhi Nov 13, 2012, 00:07 IST

Two weeks after China’s new J-31 stealth fighter made its debut flight on October 31, it will be officially acknowledged with a mock-up of the aircraft in Airshow China, the Beijing-endorsed air show that opens in Zhuhai, China, on Tuesday. With China’s official media reporting the J-31 will be sold to abroad customers, Indian analysts say the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) might be one of the earliest customers of the fighter aircraft.

The English-language newspaper Global Times, owned by the Communist Party of China (CPC), cites Bai Wei, former editor of the Aviation World Monthly, as saying, “Currently, the only fifth generation fighter available for sale is the F-35 by the US. The J-31 will offer an alternative for non-traditional allies of the US.”

The leakage of photos of the J-31 debut flight, which analysts regard as deliberate, had triggered speculation that the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) had built that aircraft for the international market, creating a rival for Lockheed Martin’s long-delayed F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Aviation experts assess the J-31 would also need 7-10 years to enter operational service.

Indian analysts, including Pushpindar Singh of the Society for Aerospace Studies, point out the PAF’s preference for Chinese fighter aircraft make it likely that it would acquire the J-31 as soon as the fighter is ready for operational service. “Already, the backbone of the PAF is made up of Chinese fighters like the JF-17 Thunder, the J-10 and the F-7. It is close to certain that Pakistan would also opt for at least two squadrons of the J-31, given that the US is unlikely to allow it into the F-35 partnership,” says Pushpindar Singh.

Indian analysts believe the PAF will emerge as a 23-squadron air force by 2020, with its backbone consisting of 12-13 squadrons of the JF-17 light fighter.

While the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex and the Chengdu Aircraft Industries Corporation (CAC) have ostensibly developed the JF-17 jointly, analysts believe that most of the development was done by CAC. The PAF already operates four squadrons of the JF-17, which is part-built in Pakistan and China.

In 2020, the PAF would also have four squadrons of Lockheed Martin F-16s, two squadrons of the J-10 from CAC, and three squadrons of older Chinese F-7TGs.

The close relationship between the PLAAF and the PAF is evident from the presence at the Zhuhai Air Show of three PAF JF-17 fighters, which will be flying displays during the show.

Meanwhile, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is currently down to 34 squadrons, with which it must defend both the Pakistan and China borders. By 2017, the 14 IAF squadrons that fly MiG-21 and MiG-27 fighters would also have been disbanded, and replaced by just four new squadrons of Sukhoi-30MKI fighters.

“With the procurement of the Dassault Rafale fighter also running late, the IAF will be facing what can only be described as a crisis in 2017,” says Pushpindar Singh.

Airshow China will also feature, for the first time ever, China’s new WZ-10 attack helicopter, which will be capable of flying anti-tank and anti-aircraft missions, fielding a payload of rockets, missiles and a rapid-fire cannon.

Like in every China-built fighter aircraft, the five-tonne helicopter will be powered by a foreign engine.

The air show at Zhuhai will also feature a new Chinese long-range ground-to-air missile called the FD-2000.

Chinese J-31 stealth fighter for global market

I dont know who this Bud Shakla writer is but his article is about J-31 but he starts of with a typical narrow hindu mentality only to boost the ego of his kind. where do you educate these

I stopped reading the article after Shukla's ill informed comments on the JF-17's development. The man is speaking out of bigotry rather than sense.

he is an indian what can you expect:cheesy:

I expect better because I deal with Indians everyday, and they are not the kind I would expect to talk bull especially Shuklas kind.
As for the double faced attitude we all accuse them of, just get a few Indians drunk and then ask them questions. You will see their actual attitudes; And so far it has been all about shoving this history down the drain, bury the hatchet and get on with out lives.

Avic Promotes J-31 As An Export Fighter
As much as the resources wielded by the Chinese state aerospace industry impress outsiders these days, few could have expected that one of the companies in the sector would want to produce a stealth fighter on its own account.

But that is just what Shenyang Aircraft wants to do. Equally surprisingly, the Chinese air force is turning its nose up at the result. What looks like a thoroughly modern stealth fighter is apparently not good enough to serve as China's next medium-weight combat aircraft.

After three evidently staged appearances of the real aircraft this year, Avic displayed a model at Airshow China in Zhuhai last week, displaying the fighter that is unofficially called the J-31 and known to come from Shenyang. The aircraft is being developed “for the international defense market,” says Avic.

Full article here.
Avic Promotes J-31 As An Export Fighter

The writer has made some MASSIVE assumptions MOST way exaggerated

1. That J31 will be completed and available for export in 2020
2. That China wil readily sell their latest technology freely to client states. IMO the chinease are highly secretive esp their latest weapons and cant see J20 OR J31 so freely avialable

FINALY J10/FC20 despite being a obvious success ( a fighter i love myself) it is yet to achieve a SINGLE export customer. WE ASK WHY this is so since it entered PLAAF service 2006 ie 6 years ago.

IS IT because china wont sell OR because they cant shake off the WESTERN /RUSSIAN competition

The writer has made some MASSIVE assumptions MOST way exaggerated

1. That J31 will be completed and available for export in 2020
2. That China wil readily sell their latest technology freely to client states. IMO the chinease are highly secretive esp their latest weapons and cant see J20 OR J31 so freely avialable

FINALY J10/FC20 despite being a obvious success ( a fighter i love myself) it is yet to achieve a SINGLE export customer. WE ASK WHY this is so since it entered PLAAF service 2006 ie 6 years ago.

IS IT because china wont sell OR because they cant shake off the WESTERN /RUSSIAN competition

The J-31 will be available for sale as the most advanced by then will be J-20.

People also need to think about the geopolitical situation in the world by 2020. China's economy will be as large if not larger than the US by then and the Chinese will be in a straight competition with the US for influence around the world. One of the ways you do this is by being able to offer some of the most advanced military technology to countries you do not consider hostile. China and the US want to become allies with country X - US offers F-35 and the Chinese respond with the J-31.

As far as why the J-10 has not sold, it is mainly due to the below 2 factors:

1. The WS-10A engine is still not been considered reliable enough to put inside the single-engined J-10 fighter.
2. As the Chinese are behind the US in technology, they really do not want the US and other potential enemies knowing the true capabilities of there latest technology.

People know everything about Russian jets. How the hell do you anything know about Chinese J-20 or J-31, you Indians?

And do you think you know everything about Russian jets becoz you
flown their decades-old su-27 ?

The j-31 is futile in combat versus PAKFA/F-22/F-35 while J-20 can only
take down F-35. F-22 Raptor and PAKFA/FGFA are still better than J-20 in
air combat.

I dont know who this Bud Shakla writer is but his article is about J-31 but he starts of with a typical narrow hindu mentality only to boost the ego of his kind. where do you educate these

Ajai Shukla is not any favoured analyst in India. He always criticises our own capability as well as
that of others. He's a critic, not an analyst if you ask me.

and how dare you say "narrow hindu mentality"? in pakistan, the majority people are said not to
consider shias as muslims, this makes Mohd. Jinaah a non-muslim. happy now?

how bout i say narrow muslim mentality.

I stopped reading the article after Shukla's ill informed comments on the JF-17's development. The man is speaking out of bigotry rather than sense.

bigotry?

he's infact exaggerating JF-17. He says there are 4 squadrons of jft in PAF, but in reality there are only
36 such jets in service making up only 2 sqds. This was revealed by PAF's own officials at zuhai.

The J-31 will be available for sale as the most advanced by then will be J-20.

People also need to think about the geopolitical situation in the world by 2020. China's economy will be as large if not larger than the US by then and the Chinese will be in a straight competition with the US for influence around the world. One of the ways you do this is by being able to offer some of the most advanced military technology to countries you do not consider hostile. China and the US want to become allies with country X - US offers F-35 and the Chinese respond with the J-31.

As far as why the J-10 has not sold, it is mainly due to the below 2 factors:

1. The WS-10A engine is still not been considered reliable enough to put inside the single-engined J-10 fighter.
2. As the Chinese are behind the US in technology, they really do not want the US and other potential enemies knowing the true capabilities of there latest technology.

Reality is that no one, no one with a CHOICE at hand wants chinese jets.

1. What if chinese engine is not ready? the AL-31FN is good, and even after WS-10 comes, its
foolish to think t'll be more reliable than AL-31FN. JAS Gripen has US engine, and still its been exported
to 6 countries thus far.

2. contraty to your beliefs, the J-10 WAS offered for sale to many countries, it even participated in
a Myanmarese tender for new jets. but was rejected in favour of MiG-29, which the Burmese considered
more capable, despite the fact that twin-engined mig-29 is costlier than single-engine j-10.

and Burma in itself is not a very rich country either.

Chinese J-10 suffers first overseas defeat to MiG-29 Fulcrum

please read the above article^^.

J-10's tech is 40-45 yrs behind that of US' best fighters, the likes of which F-35 JSF they've put on the
global market.

so stop dilluding yourself with the nonsense fed to you by chinese cover-up bridage, and instead know
the facts that chinese jets are not competitive at the global stage the way American, European or Russian
jets are.

Back
Top Bottom