What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

F607488-B-AC8-D-492-E-A441-2-EF8717-CC205.jpg

If only that was so simple, we would be flying WS-10 Thunders...

Grow up Yar, Can you imagine an airframe, designed to sustain a limited thrust and resistance, to actually be capable to host engines having 35-45% more thrust and in turn the drag it could create, It would shatter mid air, Wings apart, body reduced to rubbles...

Having 2 WS-10 is not a joke and that definitely is suitable for a Heavy class fighter such as Flanker or even heavier J-20, unlike FC-31 being a medium

WS-19 is probably getting closer and closer, maybe enter production by late 2022

@Deino Could you summarize the recent developments known on the WS-19 please ? Since you keep yourself updated with details.

The PLANAF wants a Stealth fighter for its future carriers. it has been hinted that that fighter will be called the "J-35"; based on the FC-31 Design but may have wanted a redesign using the WS-15 engines to be studied, hence my question.

They wanted to deploy the J-20 but for some reason, which I don't remember at this time, they have decided not to go with the J-20 in its current form. Also the PLANAF is having problems with the J-15 design on their carriers. Also the Chinese may want to retain the distance their carrier borne fighters can perform, hence the desire to keep a heavier engine.

FC-31/J-35 Gyrfalcon
http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/

The PLANAF wants a Stealth fighter for its future carriers. it has been hinted that that fighter will be called the "J-35"; based on the FC-31 Design but may have wanted a redesign using the WS-15 engines to be studied, hence my question.

AFAIK there was never - at least not a realistic - "want to redesign using the WS-15". These rumours were at best fan-boy's wishfull thinking it again might be so easy to swap two smaller engines for one bigger since they rate it a F-35-clone anyway! :hitwall::crazy:

AFAIK there was never - at least not a realistic - "want to redesign using the WS-15". These rumours were at best fan-boy's wishfull thinking it again might be so easy to swap two smaller engines for one bigger since they rate it a F-35-clone anyway! :hitwall::crazy:

Not swapping out the engine on this design, but a new design similar to this one that was a “conventional” layout heavy stealth fighter instead of the heavy canard delta J-20. Perhaps it was just a fan boy idea that has been circulating, but I recalled a desire by the PLAAF for side bays for the PL-10 and nearly similar or just slightly smaller center bay to that of the J-20. While it is possible the current design may have room to accommodate the side bays, perhaps it maybe seen as still underpowered to fit the PLAAF requirement, which maybe why it is not being accepted by them. This was the reason for my question. That and the engine exhaust being photoshopped out of earlier picture raised the question; why did they photoshop out the exhaust if it is just RD-93? Maybe it’s the WS-13/WS-19 or maybe not.

@Deino Why is the left engine nozzle constricted while the other is open free BTW ?
Is it due to a possible engine difference ?

Not swapping out the engine on this design, but a new design similar to this one that was a “conventional” layout heavy stealth fighter instead of the heavy canard delta J-20. Perhaps it was just a fan boy idea that has been circulating, but I recalled a desire by the PLAAF for side bays for the PL-10 and nearly similar or just slightly smaller center bay to that of the J-20. While it is possible the current design may have room to accommodate the side bays, perhaps it maybe seen as still underpowered to fit the PLAAF requirement, which maybe why it is not being accepted by them. This was the reason for my question. That and the engine exhaust being photoshopped out of earlier picture raised the question; why did they photoshop out the exhaust if it is just RD-93? Maybe it’s the WS-13/WS-19 or maybe not.

But IMO this was unrealistic right from the beginning: A single engined - aka WS-15 powered - type in the size of a medium-weight stealth fighter with side bays and a main weapons bay would be at least similar in size to the FC-31 and given the estimated thrust of a WS-15 of about 180 kN - and that not even yet - would falls short against two 100kN engines.

I know, the argument now would be, what's about the F-35 and its F135 engine?? ... Yes, but so far CHina has no engine in this thrust range.

These statistics are based on what??

They wanted to deploy the J-20 but for some reason, which I don't remember at this time, they have decided not to go with the J-20 in its current form. Also the PLANAF is having problems with the J-15 design on their carriers. Also the Chinese may want to retain the distance their carrier borne fighters can perform, hence the desire to keep a heavier engine.

FC-31/J-35 Gyrfalcon
http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/
I dont know why keep repeating the nonsense of problem with J-15. They even restart the production line of J-15. If there is any problem, its problem will be lack of stealth against F-35. Same for F-18E, Rafale and Mig-29K.

J-15 has great agility, great payload and long legged. It is much better than Mig-29K.

I dont know why keep repeating the nonsense of problem with J-15. They even restart the production line of J-15. If there is any problem, its problem will be lack of stealth against F-35. Same for F-18E, Rafale and Mig-29K.

J-15 has great agility, great payload and long legged. It is much better than Mig-29K.
Indeed...

The problem was with the restrictions of the first 2 carriers and the launch systems, 002 have proven quite compatible for J-15

@Deino Why is the left engine nozzle constricted while the other is open free BTW ?
Is it due to a possible engine difference ?

Good question but not that unusual, we've seen that before on the FC-31 similar to the original F-14A, where also most often one nozzle was closed and the other remained open.

Maybe anyone with more knowledge can explain?

Deino

Good question but not that unusual, we've seen that before on the FC-31 similar to the original F-14A, where also most often one nozzle was closed and the other remained open.

Maybe anyone with more knowledge can explain?

Deino
Sole reason of my asking was due to the previous history of similar cases with two different engines having one nozzle opened while the other constricted.

However, nothing evident to claim any possible difference of engine since this is a common sight on flankers usually.

J-15 is the only heavyweight carrier-based fighter jet still in production now in world.
China should also pursue either some long range Attack UCAVs aboard carriers or maybe some LCA with advanced capabilities for Carriers.

Having heavies especially on carriers can be extremely advantageous to one but when the opponent is having F-35Cs, J-15 is at a big disadvantage !!! Hence the need of either a fifth gen carrier borne fighter or LCA in numbers over a carrier with heavy EW warfare capabilities.

Back to the topic : SAC FC-31 Updates

China should also pursue either some long range Attack UCAVs aboard carriers or maybe some LCA with advanced capabilities for Carriers.

Having heavies especially on carriers can be extremely advantageous to one but when the opponent is having F-35Cs, J-15 is at a big disadvantage !!! Hence the need of either a fifth gen carrier borne fighter or LCA in numbers over a carrier with heavy EW warfare capabilities.
There is an interesting question:
As we know, PLAN always prefers heavyweight fighter jets, So would PLAN give up 5th-generation heavyweight carrier-based fighter jets? ;)

As we know, PLAN always prefers heavyweight fighter jets, So would PLAN give up 5th-generation heavyweight carrier-based fighter jets? ;)
heavy weight is not suitable for carrier. The maintenance of heavy jut is harder, too crowded.

heavy weight is not suitable for carrier. The maintenance of heavy jut is harder, too crowded.
Many people have got used to believing that we should exactly do what USAF/USN have done, and missing what they really need.

"F-22 and F-35 don't have canards, so J-20 with canards is really bad"
"F-35B/C are mediumweight fighters, so carriers don't need heavyweight fighters any more"

When USN gets heavyweight fighters again, that would be funny.:woot:

As we know, PLAN always prefers heavyweight fighter jets, So would PLAN give up heavyweight 5th-generation carrier-based fighter jets? ;)
That “ALWAYS” you mentioned started with J-15 itself, so not much to support your statement some PLANAF is not something quite old enough yet.
But then, who knows, i am not disagreeing with you though

Back
Top Bottom