What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments PART 2

Coward IsraHelli soldiers crying as usual

1671057227519.jpeg
1671057248607.jpeg

F140724NNFF09-e1406258923290-1024x640.jpg

The European Union and the United States are now targeting maritime protection and indemnity (P&I) insurance clubs to limit Russian shipping capacity and cap the price of its oil, meaning we’re finally beginning to see some smart sanctions for a stupid war.

P&I clubs are maritime insurance groups that specialize in open-ended, large-risk claims. P&I insurance is a requirement for all heavy cargo and container vessels. Under the new sanctions, European P&I clubs can no longer offer insurance to a vessel carrying Russian oil at a price higher than $60 a barrel.

Since February 2022, governments and the private sector have been imposing piecemeal sanctions against Moscow, including taking aim at the luxury items of oligarchs and Russian President Vladimir Putin’s inner circle. Yachts and jets were highly symbolic, but sanctions against them weren’t really useful.

An oil tanker sails under a huge suspension bridge on a foggy day.

A Russian oil tanker sails under Yavuz Sultan Selim bridge in Istanbul in March 2022 after departing from Russia’s Novorossiysk port. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

Past success​

In 2012, the EU denied P&I insurance to Iran, effectively halting global Iranian energy exports within hours.

In 2017, I published research that pointed out that Kim Jong-un was acquiring nearly all of his most troublesome goods by sea, and recommended targeted sanctions against P&I clubs with North Korean vessels in their ranks.

Within days of the U.S. and EU imposing such sanctions, North Korea’s activities ground to halt. The regime wound up engaging in high-risk, low-reward sea-to-sea transfers to try to make ends meet.

Now that similar sanctions are in effect against Russia, all 3,300 known Russian ships are grinding to a halt. Some are jamming up traffic around Turkey’s Bosporus Strait and floating idly around Russia’s port city of Vladivostok.

Putin is scrambling to purchase a “shadow fleet” of about 100 vintage end-of-life tankers to try to get Russian oil to market. That won’t be enough to carry the Russian economy, but it could expose inroads to smuggling markets involving ports that overlook P&I insurance.

Keeping the $60 price cap on Russian oil is risky. Tempting Putin to sell oil under $60 will encourage oil smuggling in the shadows. A full P&I ban on all vessels thought to be Russian, however, would be devastating to Moscow.

Just like how tax evasion brought down Al Capone, it may be this insurance requirement that delivers a crushing economic blow to Putin.

It illustrates why governments and the private sector need to think smarter about sanctions. Don’t sanction the target. Sanction the environment in which they operate.

This is what the Wagner assault on Bakhmut looks like since months. @F-22Raptor @jhungary

The European Union and the United States are now targeting maritime protection and indemnity (P&I) insurance clubs to limit Russian shipping capacity and cap the price of its oil, meaning we’re finally beginning to see some smart sanctions for a stupid war.

P&I clubs are maritime insurance groups that specialize in open-ended, large-risk claims. P&I insurance is a requirement for all heavy cargo and container vessels. Under the new sanctions, European P&I clubs can no longer offer insurance to a vessel carrying Russian oil at a price higher than $60 a barrel.

Since February 2022, governments and the private sector have been imposing piecemeal sanctions against Moscow, including taking aim at the luxury items of oligarchs and Russian President Vladimir Putin’s inner circle. Yachts and jets were highly symbolic, but sanctions against them weren’t really useful.

An oil tanker sails under a huge suspension bridge on a foggy day.

A Russian oil tanker sails under Yavuz Sultan Selim bridge in Istanbul in March 2022 after departing from Russia’s Novorossiysk port. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

Past success​

In 2012, the EU denied P&I insurance to Iran, effectively halting global Iranian energy exports within hours.

In 2017, I published research that pointed out that Kim Jong-un was acquiring nearly all of his most troublesome goods by sea, and recommended targeted sanctions against P&I clubs with North Korean vessels in their ranks.

Within days of the U.S. and EU imposing such sanctions, North Korea’s activities ground to halt. The regime wound up engaging in high-risk, low-reward sea-to-sea transfers to try to make ends meet.

Now that similar sanctions are in effect against Russia, all 3,300 known Russian ships are grinding to a halt. Some are jamming up traffic around Turkey’s Bosporus Strait and floating idly around Russia’s port city of Vladivostok.

Putin is scrambling to purchase a “shadow fleet” of about 100 vintage end-of-life tankers to try to get Russian oil to market. That won’t be enough to carry the Russian economy, but it could expose inroads to smuggling markets involving ports that overlook P&I insurance.

Keeping the $60 price cap on Russian oil is risky. Tempting Putin to sell oil under $60 will encourage oil smuggling in the shadows. A full P&I ban on all vessels thought to be Russian, however, would be devastating to Moscow.

Just like how tax evasion brought down Al Capone, it may be this insurance requirement that delivers a crushing economic blow to Putin.

It illustrates why governments and the private sector need to think smarter about sanctions. Don’t sanction the target. Sanction the environment in which they operate.

What if Russians insured their own vessels and also other ships who would carry the Russian oil? Every country has their own national insurance companies that usually cover their govt and private-owned vessels' insurance needs. Using the Western-based insurance companies as a weapon against Russia will really backfire, as that would make many of their insured customers to seek business elsewhere. If anything, the long-term repercussions of these stupid sanctions will be felt in the West.

Last edited:
Pls show 3 of these tons of videos so we can be on the same page as you
didn't know you guys memory have so short span .
shame on you , you probably have 10 time my internet speed and don't have to use vpn to find videos and yet i have to find the videos for you and funny part they all were post in this thread and discussed here

go to Iran section there is a thread called

Shahed-136 - Tracking usage & expanding understanding.​

now show me videos of gepard intercepting Geran-2

The moment of the bombing of the Republican Palace in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine and Zelensky's escape. Video of the Russia-Ukraine war..

Last edited:

2:09 p.m. ET, December 12, 2022

Biden: US will continue "sending material" to Ukraine, but not troops​

From CNN's DJ Judd and Betsy Klein

US President Joe Biden said Monday that there are no plans to send US troops to Ukraine.
“Are we sending troops to Ukraine? No, we’re sending material, like we have, millions of dollars,” Biden told reporters traveling with him in Virginia following a question about whether his administration is planning on sending to troops to Ukraine.
In November, the Biden administration called on Congress for additional funding to continue to support Ukraine.
Office of Management and Budget Director Shalanda Young sent a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi detailing a $37.7 billion request for Ukraine aid.
The Ukraine request is spread across four US government departments, according to a fact sheet shared with CNN. Young wrote to Pelosi that the request would “ensure Ukraine has the funding, weapons, and support it needs to defend itself, and that vulnerable people continue to receive lifesaving aid. The request also addresses the critical global food and energy shortages caused by Russia’s invasion.”
It includes $21.7 for the Department of Defense that will be spent on “equipment for Ukraine, replenishment of Department of Defense stocks, and for continued military, intelligence and other defense support,” $14.5 billion for the State Department for “direct budget support to Ukraine, critical war time investments, security assistance, to strengthen global food security, and for humanitarian assistance,” $626 million for the Department of Energy “for nuclear security support to Ukraine and for modernizing the Strategic Petroleum Reserve,” and $900 million for the Department of Health and Human Services “to provide standard assistance health care and support services to Ukrainian parolees,” per the fact sheet.

Last edited:
super smart russians

They build trenches no different to WW1.

But in today’s war satellites and drones see everything.

Nothing to hide

Houthies have made Patriot system a joke, let's see how Russians will perform ✌️
Every launch over UAE intercepted and destroyed. Of all Houthi missiles targeting Khamis Mushayt airbase, not a single one hit the base. I am not a Raytheon shareholder but I stop spreading BS news from fake sources.

Patriot is also not the answer to everything, but it can protect the capital and maybe one other city.

As for Russian performance, it will continue to be the the joke that it is: no aerial supremacy, a special operation that mobilizes the general population, and its strategic bombers have to be repositioned for the first time in history to bases further inside Russia.

didn't know you guys memory have so short span .
shame on you , you probably have 10 time my internet speed and don't have to use vpn to find videos and yet i have to find the videos for you and funny part they all were post in this thread and discussed here

go to Iran section there is a thread called

Shahed-136 - Tracking usage & expanding understanding.​

now show me videos of gepard intercepting Geran-2
This forum is not Iranian Defense Forum where the word of the Revolutionary Guard is the word of God. So yes if you make assertions than share the videos. Unlike you, I have a real job and I don't spend hours trolling the youtube videos, regardless of internet speed. The monetary cost of time wasted is not recoverable.

You ahve shared the video, and now I have them. Your sarcasm and attitude aside (may be because you have a slow internet you are bitter about that), I thank you for sharing the videos so I can see and possibly believe you.

Last edited:
guess those are the brave russians :sarcastic:

and there is no border with germany now :omghaha: tru from 2020 they started to make covid test on border no idea if it still goes

guess next thing we hear is about polish running to belarus ... with this video

and thats how crossing the border looks like 2 months ago so guess no covid tests anymore 🤷‍♂️

so guess your footage ether old of after some accident ... so basically pure propaganda pile of smelly sh..

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom