What's new

Russia rules out arms sale to Pakistan

Actually, no one's going anywhere in a hurry. The US plans to be here for a long time, one way or another, and Russia/China are also strategizing for that long term presence. I think the superpower games in the region are actually going to intensify after 2014.

& not to forget the largest regional donor of Afghanistan i.e. India mate :D

so, it's a great game of 18th & 19th century being played out again in the same country, the difference is that than it was just British India & the Russians, but now it is US, Russians, Chinese, Pakistan, India, Iran, etc. Every nation wants to play this game & only time will tell who will lose & who will win.

They can hand them to the Chinese and they can hand them to us.

I didn't know Russia had legislation preventing this. He said "There is no change in our legislation", if there never was any restriction then we are good.

Russians are already frustrated from china due to chinese copies of their hardware..

su-27 or s-33 and even missile systems,all got copied or made by russian engineers during soviet fall and same was given to pakistan by china.

Even russia denied mig 29 tech to chinese due to indian concerns.

So how did we pay for the f-16s?
You are telling me that we could not afford cheaper Russian weapons bet we could afford more expensive American stuff?

Indian logic at it's finest

sure you paid for f6's but, a significant chunk of your Navy is donated stuff, + lets not forget 7 billion mil aid from bush and 4 billion from Obama.

PAF is highly respectable airforce in the world, no doubt it's equipment is top notch, but lets not get into spending ability.

As I said a million times on all russia-pak threads, We have no problems in russia developing coordial relations with pakistan, pakistan is a major country in the region, and it must have good relations with russia. In similar context even though pakistan is the major strategic ally of china, we stil have good trade relations with china, as a matter of fact, we are one of the biggest trading partners of china, so I dont see why pakistan and russia cant have good mutual relations.

The problem arises when, pakistani members make predictions like, russia will abandon India in favor of pakistan, which defeats common sense, hence draws flak from indian members here.

RD-93D [MA - New upgraded Engine.],AL-31 [J-10B], MI-17, IL-78 aren't in your service? , why do you fail to understand that its all about business and money drives Russians. I still remember, they wanted to sell us Su-27 Flankers and MIG-29s through Ukrine. :rolleyes:

This so called offer was in news when USSR had just broken up, Since Then Indo-russia ties have been restored to what it was with USSR. If India could make france abandon avionics package for FC1,rest you can guess.

What is odd though is traditional pakistani, ally United states offered, the most advanced f16 to rival India, without any reservation.

And your other ally is our largest trading partner. Geopolitics is a funny business

Two things to note:

- As Indians freely admit, the current India-Russia relationship is based purely on money, regardless of past strategic alignments. Like all relationships it is two-way. If Russia needs Indian money, then India needs Russian tech. India does not want to become too dependent on sanction-prone Western tech, and it lacks any significant indigenous capabilities like China has developed.

x- Pakistan can not match India's financial clout to woo Russia, but it can offer geographic advantages to Russia which India can not. However, the balance is still not nearly enough to sway Russia, and India will continue to enjoy the advantage until the equation changes.

Well Most of Indian senior members here have repeated n times, how diverse Indo-russia relations are and what are the different paradigms of the span of our co-operation, but for obvious reasons you choose to ignore all that and continue to belittle our relations, nothing surprising, not much expected either.

What does perplexes me is constant harping of geographical location to form an energy corridor. With psuedo-control over the CAS,wont Russia prefer to divert all pipelines directly to Europe bypassing pakistan all together.

Russians are already frustrated from china due to chinese copies of their hardware..

su-27 or s-33 and even missile systems,all got copied or made by russian engineers during soviet fall and same was given to pakistan by china.

Even russia denied mig 29 tech to chinese due to indian concerns.

Yeah but Russia wants to give things to us. India always offsets it by buying things from Russia whenever such news gets around.

They gave us RD-93 despite all of India's objections. I think when the time will come to sign a deal between Pak and Russia, Russia will go ahead and sell things to us.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the PAKFA project shelved for lack of money until India came along and resuscitated it? Of course India would demand a king's ransom for the deal. And, yes, it was because of the historical relationship that Russia agreed.

Yes, India did resurrect the PAKFA project among others, like the mikoyan (now UAC) production line, OKB maschinnotreya, Vympel along with JV's like, brahmos, Antrix and Iral. And we will do more if needed, historically russians backed us up when we needed them, If there is any way we could pay them back we will do so wholeheartedly.

Yeah but Russia wants to give things to us. India always offsets it by buying things from Russia whenever such news gets around.

They gave us RD-93 despite all of India's objections. I think when the time will come to sign a deal between Pak and Russia, Russia will go ahead and sell things to us.

They sold you RD33 at the request of the Chinese. And still neither have they transferred the tech transfer of rd33's to neither china nor pakistan, unlike India, if we license produce the jet, we make the engine at home too

They sold you RD33 at the request of the Chinese. And still neither have they transferred the tech transfer of rd33's to neither china nor pakistan, unlike India, if we license produce the jet, we make the engine at home too

Which is true.. The amazing thing is that Su 30 MKI is today more indigenous (100% produced in India including engine) for India than a JF 17 is for Pakistan, or for that matter, even for China :)

:sniper: BULLSEYE !

I thought you guys claimed it to be indigenous :woot:

Even if that was true, do you see the difference.. When India gets worried, its ally issues a statement to ally those worries.. When Pakistan gets worried, its ally sends over a drone to kill some of its citizens ;)

yup they offered you sub during 1971 through US for free...... Threatned your ally..... He he second stage of parnoia....

Not to sound jingoistic, but Pak's annual defence budget is in the vicinity of 4 billion dollars, India allocated close to 40 billion. Would russia want to risk the indian market for a couple of extra bucks from pak?

------
Every relation is based on money.U.S is ready to make strategic relation based on money which we have now and even soviets used to sell us second class hardware coz we were poor friend of dem.
so where was love? and even then they came to save us
--------

Second class hardware?Soviets provided us our first nuclear submarine an Charlie-I SSGN . Please enlighten me which other nations to their allies.USA has never extended such privilege to the best allies it has.
We gave the Brits sub-launched ICBM's.....

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin Sunday ruled out any arms sales to Pakistan and stressed that unlike other countries, Russia never created problems for India.

“We are always cooperating with India to ensure safety of the region. We never created trouble for India in the region as compared to other countries,” he told reporters here.

Rogozin was responding to a question on whether Russia was planning to expand military relations with Pakistan.

“That’s our political advantage as a friend of India,” he said. “If someone says otherwise, spit in his face,” he replied when asked whether Russia was planning to sell arms to Pakistan.

“We don’t do military business with your enemies. We don’t transfer any arms to them,” he said.

Early this month, Pakistan’s Army chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani visited Russia, fuelling speculation about a possible arms sale by Russia to Pakistan.

There were also speculations that the Russian defence minister deferred his visit to India, earlier scheduled for Oct 4 and finally held Oct 10, to meet Pakistan’s army chief, an impression that has been since rejected by Moscow.

There were some reports that Russian President Vladimir Putin was planning to visit Pakistan this month, but cancelled the visit due to Indian sensitivities.

Rogozin and External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Monday will co-chair the 18th session of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC). The talks will firm up the agenda for the annual summit talks between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Putin Nov 1.

Russia rules out arms sale to Pakistan | Firstpost

Back
Top Bottom