What's new

Rupee firms against US dollar

farhan_9909

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI - The US dollar further lost strength against rupee on Friday, trading at the highest price of Rs 103.20 in cash free/open market. According to the data provided by the Forex Association of Pakistan,

dollar traded at the lowest price of Rs 102.90 and highest price of Rs 103 in inter bank while the dollar traded at minimum price of Rs 102.90 and maximum price of Rs 103.20 in open market.

Dollar falls to Rs102.9 in inter-bank

Meanwhile Reserve to reach 10Billion dollars This month and 16Billion dollars by Dec of this Year

Rupee value against dollar brought back to 98 by June this year won't be a surprise.

Rupee records surprise gain - DAWN.COM

KARACHI: Exporters queued for the entire day on Friday to sell dollars in millions. It further plunged the greenback value to below Rs103 in both open and inter-bank markets.

The fast devaluation of dollar panicked those exporters who had parked their dollars out of the financial system in hope of earning premium. Watching the new trend evolve, their nerves broke down on the last working day of the week as they head to hit the market. Dollar was traded at Rs102.90-95 in the inter-bank market on Friday.

“Friday was the exporters’ day. It seemed it was taken as the last day to sell their holdings since market expects further erosion in the value of dollar against rupee in days ahead,” said Atif Ahmed, a currency dealer in the inter-bank market.

Exporters used to keep their proceeds for more than the allowed 130 days in a hope to sell their holdings at a better rate, but during the last five days the dollar lost Rs2.5.

Before this massive devaluation of dollar the exchange rate remained stable at Rs105-06 for a period of about two months. The finance minister has created history by bringing down the dollar to a level which looked impossible to bankers, currency dealers and analysts said.

“The minister has set a new trend as he succeeded to bring dollar at Rs103 from Rs112, especially when the foreign exchange reserves of the State Bank are still below the comfortable level,” said a banker.

This sudden fall in dollar’s value has dealt a serious blow to the banks as their holdings of billions of dollars were devalued. Banks hold $4.8bn in their reserves.

Bankers and analysts said the devaluation trend shows the greenback will soon see Rs100. “There is no two opinion about the Rs100 for dollar in the market,” said a currency dealer. The finance minister had claimed that he would bring back dollar to Rs98, the rate at the time when the new government took charge in Islamabad.

According to bankers, the new trend taught importers and exporters a lesson. Importers used to set off panic in the market with frequent buying while exporters used to disappear from the market when dollars were needed.

Good for economy, there are funds coming in from us aid and loans from imf i guess, so that might increase the rupee value.

Though its a really good thing and Pakistanis should be proud of it but I know for a fact that PTI isn't happy even though this is a Pakistani matter. PTI kay chacho said dollar will touch 150Rs. And I know PTI kay pantar bachay are praying for dollar to go up to 150 so they can have an excuse to criticize PMLN again.

The basics of the economy continue to be adverse - there is no denying that.

Just like Musharraf's era when the PKR was held steady to nearly 60 to the dollar by covert US support, this time around it is the ya habibis from the Middle East providing the support to prop up a currency that has no legs of its own.

Just like before, when this support vanishes once the short term goals are achieved, we will go back to the roughly 10% depreciation per year in line with the negative balance of payments.

The basics of the economy continue to be adverse - there is no denying that.

Just like Musharraf's era when the PKR was held steady to nearly 60 to the dollar by covert US support, this time around it is the ya habibis from the Middle East providing the support to prop up a currency that has no legs of its own.

Just like before, when this support vanishes once the short term goals are achieved, we will go back to the roughly 10% depreciation per year in line with the negative balance of payments.

Ahem.....

There is no 'we' here. You are alone in the extremity of your cynicism. Negative balance of payment is not necessarily our lot. You are ignoring investment in cheaper energy (electricity) sources.

I am not ignoring anything:

12-hour power cuts are back - DAWN.COM

I tell it like it truly is, nothing else.
So do I. But whereas I look to future with optimism, you are bound by your pessimism.

You might want to change your flag. Chand Tara does not suit you, since you view every development in Pakistan with extreme suspicion and pessimism.

So do I. But whereas I look to future with optimism, you are bound by your pessimism.

You might want to change your flag. Chand Tara does not suit you, since you view every development in Pakistan with extreme suspicion and pessimism.

The only problem is that what I describe, however pessimistic, turns out to be closer to the reality compared to false optimism.

The circular debt is piling up again and the power sector will fail miserably again. Now you tell me whether this is close to the truth or not?

The only problem is that what I describe, however pessimistic, turns out to be closer to the reality compared to false optimism.

The circular debt is piling up again and the power sector will fail miserably again. Now you tell me whether this is close to the truth or not?

Aray baba, how does that automatically translate to 10 Rupees jump in exchange rate? I know the circular debt is on the increase, but the pace is slower. If our economy survived the circular debt (PPP + interim government) write off, then what makes you think we can not tackle a more manageable rise of debt? Is it going to be any worse, particularly since we are going to be attracting a greater amount of investment in the next few years?

There is positive optimism in Lahore, and I be damned if I ignore it. Your pessimism fits you like a glove. Perhaps you think others would want to wear it. Why should they? What purpose does extreme skepticism and pessimism serve? I never saw anything good come out of it. Have you ever?

Aray baba, how does that automatically translate to 10 Rupees jump in exchange rate? I know the circular debt is on the increase, but the pace is slower. If our economy survived the circular debt (PPP + interim government) write off, then what makes you think we can not tackle a more manageable rise of debt? Is it going to be any worse, particularly since we are going to be attracting a greater amount of investment in the next few years?

There is positive optimism in Lahore, and I be damned if I ignore it. Your pessimism fits you like a glove. Perhaps you think others would want to wear it. Why should they? What purpose does extreme skepticism and pessimism serve? I never saw anything good come out of it. Have you ever?

This jump is a temporary manipulation based on borrowed monies and will inevitably lead to a crash.

What "greater amount of investment in the next few years"? The $48 billion from UAE? Or the $100 billion from China? Or may be the investors see a trained labor force, good infrastructure, and effective law and order? Riiiiiiiiight.

Oh wait, there is "optimism in Lahore". Surely that is enough to make people ignore reality. :D

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░██░░░██░██████░██████░░██░░
░░██░░░██░░░██░░░██░░░░░░██░░
░░██░█░██░░░██░░░████░░░░██░░
░░███████░░░██░░░██░░░░░░░░░░
░░░██░██░░░░██░░░██░░░░░░██░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

:D

Koi baat nahin. We can have a cup of coffee / tea / Qahwa on me whenever you come to Lahore. Plus we can talk about 70s and 80s ;-)

@Chak Bamu - You are thanking my post, mera nuksan ho gaya hai :angry:

Oh shoot. I forgot to press the reply button before answering in my last post.

:D

Koi baat nahin. We can have a cup of coffee / tea / Qahwa on me whenever you come to Lahore. Plus we can talk about 70s and 80s ;-)

Oh shoot. I forgot to press the reply button before answering in my last post.

I hope you will not run away like that pirated butt @Armstrong :angel:

Back
Top Bottom