What's new

Roots across the Border

@Armstrong, yaar I am serious about this thread. Please do not make it a chit-chat thread. I want people to be able to contact and find out about their ancestral places.

@Chak Bamu and @DESERT FIGHTER, Bros I will be going to Punjab in May.
Will be visiting chak bamu and mehndipur and bring you guys some pics. Chak Bamu I will try to find about your grand father and see if someone remembers him.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt if anyone remembers him now. But in any case, I will be looking forward to anything you can tell me. Do ask about Chak Bamu's history etc... I would also appreciate pics of Gurudwara. Looks nice in this picture:

Attachments

• Chak Bamu.jpg
    Chak Bamu.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 68
There must be others like me whose roots are across the border. That is why I have decided to open a new thread where people like myself can exchange notes about our root-places especially if they are across the border. Mine is "Chak Bamu" in Dasua Mandal, Jallandhar, Indian Punjab.

If anyone remembers my introduction on the forum, or wonders about the meaning of my forum name, they would realize that my ancestral roots are across the border in Indian Punjab; specifically Jallandhar Doab.
Salaams from Lahore

I had an idea to start this thread because @Butchcassidy wished to confirm if I had a connection with Chak Bamu (and indeed I do). But I felt that an Off-Topic conversation was not the right thing to do, and he as yet does not have privileges to use PM function. Therefore the only possible route was to open a thread.

But this thread can mean so much if:

1. One has roots from across the brother and one wishes to talk about it; like myself.

2. Someone could be familiar with such places and might wish to help in bringing such a place to life for another who happens to live across the border; like @Butchcassidy.

3. This helps place a person's background in context while discussing relevant issues.

4. People could just use this thread to socialize.

Now, please please please, pretty pretty please, do NOT make this a troll thread.

If some forum-member has parents / grand parents who have a connection with Lahore, or some place close to it, I can help them find more about it.

My maternal Grandmother was born in Kishanganj, Ajmer District, Rajasthan. Her paternal grandfather 3 generations back was born in Afghanistan, Kandahar province! [ they being Durrani Pashtuns] @Pakistanisage @ghilzai
They were Pashto speakers, and settled in Rajasthan. Then they forgot Pashto within a 100 years, and became Marwari / Urdu speakers. After, partition, they settled in Punjab, and became essentially South Punjabi (Seraiki). Those that settled in Sindh, became essentially Sindhi. A member went to KPK, and became Pakhtoon again.

Last edited:
No problem bro..
Thanks in advance.

I doubt if anyone remembers him now. But in any case, I will be looking forward to anything you can tell me. Do ask about Chak Bamu's history etc... I would also appreciate pics of Gurudwara. Looks nice in this picture:

My maternal Grandmother was born in Kishanganj, Ajmer District, Rajasthan. Her paternal grandfather 3 generations back was born in Afghanistan, Kandahar province! [ they being Durrani Pashtuns] @Pakistanisage @ghilzai
They were Pashto speakers, and settled in Rajasthan. Then they forgot Pashto within a 100 years, and became Marwari / Urdu speakers. After, partition, they settled in Punjab, and became essentially South Punjabi (Seraiki). Those that settled in Sindh, became essentially Sindhi. A member went to KPK, and became Pakhtoon again.
There are still loads of Pashto speakers scattered all over Rajasthan. My great grandad lived in a Pashto speaking village during his school days. Most Pashto speakers have stayed in Rajasthan.

There are still loads of Pashto speakers scattered all over Rajasthan. My great grandad lived in a Pashto speaking village during his school days. Most Pashto speakers have stayed in Rajasthan.

which village is that? and where exactly do the Pashto speakers live in Rajasthan?

BTW, Anyone here from my old neighbourhood of Kucha Challan/ Billi Maran/ Jamia Masjid area of OLD Dehli ?

which village is that? and where exactly do the Pashto speakers live in Rajasthan?
It was in Dholpur somewhere, I'm not sure exactly. Pashto speakers are scattered around Rajasthan but a lot of them live in Tonk district as Tonk was ruled by Yousafzai Pathans. There's also a large village in Khirwa Sikar home to a large number.

It was in Dholpur somewhere, I'm not sure exactly. Pashto speakers are scattered around Rajasthan but a lot of them live in Tonk district as Tonk was ruled by Yousafzai Pathans. There's also a large village in Khirwa Sikar home to a large number.

But do they speak Pashto? Because all Muslims that came from Rajasthan during Partition spoke Urdu or Marwari.

Dholpur, being close to Agra, will likely be a place of Sherwani Pathans. In Uttar Pradesh, they were living in Agra, Aligarh, Mathura, and they are all Urdu speakers over there.

Yes, Tonk has Yousufzai Pathans, but as far as I am aware, they are all Urdu speakers.

The Pathan communities settled all over Madhya Pradesh too. Salman Khan's family is an example.

But do they speak Pashto? Because all Muslims that came from Rajasthan during Partition spoke Urdu or Marwari.

Dholpur, being close to Agra, will likely be a place of Sherwani Pathans. In Uttar Pradesh, they were living in Agra, Aligarh, Mathura, and they are all Urdu speakers over there.

Yes, Tonk has Yousufzai Pathans, but as far as I am aware, they are all Urdu speakers.

The Pathan communities settled all over Madhya Pradesh too. Salman Khan's family is an example.
I'd say roughly 30% still speak Pashto, and in the villages where Urdu is mainly spoken, there will always be an elder who is fluent in Pashto and sometimes even a entire family who are fluent.

Dholpur has a lot of Lodi Pathans since it's close to Gwalior, I'm not sure about Sherwanis though.
Yeah, Gwalior and Morena in Madhya Pradesh near the Rajathan border has a lot of Lodi Pathans as well.

Back
Top Bottom