What's new

Retracing my Indian ancestral roots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like everyone, not just Pakistanis, to share information about their ancestral roots (if you want to).

In regards to ancestral home, I'd love to know mine, but alas, many of my older relatives are out of reach or deceased. As far as I know, my family (on both sides) is based in the Dhaka division of Bangladesh. I don't even know where my original village is.. :/

My last name is Khan (I use my mother's last name) but I have no idea whether I actually have any real Khan blood or whether the name was an honorific for one of my ancestors. Father's last name is Jamaly, but I highly doubt he's related to the Balochi Jamali tribe.

One hell of a confused person I truly am. Ah well.. looks like all there is to do now is to make a name for myself by being successful, Insha'Allah! :D

Who the hell did an iraqi person get so deep inside India?? (Bihar). I can understand the coast, but...

Read the first post in this thread:

As per Historical records of Bihar State Archives department, Government of Bihar, a FARMAN is available in Persian language (which my mother's first cousin in Patna has). According to this Farman Shah Alamgir had given 200 bighas of land to Bibi Baree (I am her direct descendant, as indicated by my 'Shajrah') for cultivation in Pargana Ander, Government of Saran during the period 1095 Hijree.

Needless to explain, but my family has been in Bihar for many centuries.

My father is from Trimohini, Noyakhali, now Bangladesh. Mother is from Jessor, Bangladesh. I was born and brought up in Calcutta, India.

200px-Major.AzizBhatti.jpg

Major Raja Aziz Bhatti (1928 - September 10, 1965)[1] (Punjabi, Urdu: عزیز بهٹی) was a Hong Kong-born Pakistan Army's Staff officer who received Pakistan's highest award for valor. He was born in Hong Kong in 1928.[2][3] He moved to Pakistan before it became independent in 1947, living in the village of Ladian, in the district of Gujrat. There he enlisted with the newly formed Pakistani Army and was commissioned to the Punjab Regiment in 1950.

Bhatti's are present in Pakistani Armed Forces in large numbers.

Bhatti are also present in Saudi Armed forces. One would consider them Pakistan manpower naturalized but i spoke to a few they said their ancestors settled here long before partition of Indian subcontinent.

@Akash57 :-

Is there anything spl behind your chosen nick - akash57 - as akash is a very common name among Hindus (sanskrit for sky) and you said your last name is Khan :confused:

Who the hell did an iraqi person get so deep inside India?? (Bihar). I can understand the coast, but...

With the Aryan invasion, lot of persians came and settled in northern india. With the emergence of safvid empire which strengthened the Shia sect around Persia, lot of Arab shia fled to Persia facing persecution by competition Sunni empires. India and Persia having strong trade ties led to several arab shia families of Persia and Iraq settling in northern India which already had long history of Persian language and traditions.

Iraq is the epi center of Shia sect so its not surprising if many Shia around the world trace their ancestory to Iraq. This is where their major schools and political base are concentrated as well the tombs of Hazrat Ali and Hazrat Hussien.

MY ancestors used to live on the bank of river Indus [IVC] but then moved to the bank of river Ganges [Ganga] following a drought at river Indus. From there they started moving towards west. And they were called Gujjars. They kept moving until they reached the shore of Gujarat and settled there. But now you can find one of use in any corner of the world. lool :D

There are many Arabs living in non-Arab countries since generations and same is the case with Non-Arabs in Arab countries. For example there is a famous Yemeni singer from the last century born around 1901 in Yemen and brought up in Hadharmout. His name was Muhammad Juma'a Khan محمد جمعة خان. His father was brought to be the ruler's Personal Body Guard. He married a local Yemeni girl. He started to sing in Hadharmi Dialect and almost all his songs were hits in his time. He was called the Shaikh of Hadharmi songs شيخ الاغاني الحضرمية. He once sang a song and used the word شاباش in the lyrics, this word became a hit in Yemen after the song.

Also there are many Hindus from Kutch and other Indian / Pakistani areas in Yemen, but most of them are concentrated in Aden living for generation, some have converted to Islam. They carry the Yemeni nationality.

If anyone of you knows an old Yemeni man ask him about this singer. one of his hits was a song he sang when Oil was found in Yemen in 40s or 50s. Also if anyone knows Arabic and wants to listen to his songs i am ready to post some of Muhamamd Juma'a Khan's songs.

Then again there is another Arab poet his name was Muzaffar Al Nawab مظفر النواب. His family was once ruling one of the Indian states. His family was originally from the arabian peninsula then they settled in Baghdad.. He was from the linage of an imam who died of poisoning during the time of the caliph Haroon Al Rasheed. So the family migrated to India towards the northern states : Punjab - Lucknow - Kashmir and due to their lineage and their educational fame they became the rulers of these states at some stage.

After the Britishers took over India, the family expressed the spirit of direct opposition towards the British occupation causing the British ruler in India to resent towards the opposing family which was hostile towards the occupation and the British dominance. After suppressing the national Indian revolution the Britishers offered the notables of the family political exile and to choose a country which they would like to go to. So they decided to go to Iraq their old home.

Muzaffar Al Nawab was born in Baghdad in 1934 and he like his family was kept running; due to political reasons. He moved from Iraq to Ahwaz (the southern part of Iran now, this was an Arab sheikhdom which was annexed by the Persians, stretching for almost all the south of Iran.) due to the political situation in Iraq He was arrested by the Persians and given to the Iraqi government after torturing him. The Iraqis sentenced him to death and put him in a prison form where he ran away escaping to Beirut and finally settling in Damascus where he passed away.

This is how life goes on, moving and moving and moving :)

bwahahahahahahhahaha NO i wont because i have no roots not even distant ones in bharat and this thread is more aimed at finding roots in bharat one way or the other.

for finding my kalewaal i have to travel to Afghanistan to Persia to land of the Prophet :) long journey

Afghanistan is right across the the western border. Iran or "Persia", depending on the city, isn't too far in border areas like where the Sistan and Baluchestan Province province meets with the Balochistan province in Pakistan. Other areas like Tehran, Fars, Yazd and western areas like Kurdistan are much further.

Anyways, Pashtuns aren't really native to any areas in modern Iran and the majority live in areas of southeast Afghanistan and northwest Pakistan. So the journey isn't any longer than someone traveling from eastern border areas of Pakistan into places like Punjab or Jammu and Kashmir if they leave from the west and east border respectively.

In regards to Pakistanis and even Indians with Arab ancestry, it is very possible that many of them actually do have an Arab ancestor from long ago but it's likely diluted by now through intermarriage with locals of whatever area the ancestor settled. So, they wouldn't really be Arab to most people. Although, if you could prove it was true, it is possible to claim your original origin from the Middle East I suppose.

Bilalhaider, take a genetic test n find out for 100% sure..

In a country like in India, its extremely hard to stay un-mixed.

Many Jews who stayed in Kerala and stayed un mixed might be inbreed, because of the limited population.

Good to know so many has their roots in Bangladesh.
The most shocking one for me was Joe Shearer.
I was like what the F! Why?!

Anyways my Fathers side was genuinely from the soil of BD
in a remote scenic village in puthia.

My moms ancestors came from Lucknow and my
great grandmother quoted her ancestors migrated from Persia.
They settled in Chittagong probably as traders at first.

I was born in Sabratha and raised up in Dhaka.
Lets say I'm dhakaiya.

I think many people should take genetic test. Many African-American people thought they have Native American genes, but found out they have European.

You might be surprised as well..

Last edited by a moderator:
bwahahahahahahhahaha NO i wont because i have no roots not even distant ones in bharat and this thread is more aimed at finding roots in bharat one way or the other.

for finding my kalewaal i have to travel to Afghanistan to Persia to land of the Prophet :) long journey

Same here, I got to make an even longer journey! Even so, my ancestors have graves both sides of Pk.

You're right the title suggests people try find their roots in India, BH sahib makes it clear he has kept it open for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom