What's new

Religions must be Chinese in orientation: official

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for the Chinese member.

religions must be Chinese in orientation. What are the exact criteria?

This is a vague statement to even start a debate. Chinese orientation?

It's not absurd, some women don't want men seeing their face and developing feelings for them.
I am not against those women. I am only against your desire to also let them mingle with the society. They belong to monasteries.

Its a very good question. Why is Buddhism tolerated more than Islam??

I believe that it means should be controlled and should not be disruptive to the society or the country.

There are no preferential treatments to any religion in China in the Chinese constitution.
Your question is invalid.

Because Buddhism is a lot more vague and flexible.

There's nothing wrong with a certain amount of vagueness, but imo, something like a religion should be fixed in certain aspects.

This is a very good question. I don't think there are exact criteria. The basic idea is to shape the religion so that it doesn't look too alien to the local tradition. Using Buddhism as an example, in China, most monks use religious names in Chinese style. Some of Buddhism saints also have their Chinese names, too. Their statures may use Chinese faces and their fashion styles may be Chinese. There are even Chinese version of their legends. Basically, a mingled version of Indian and Chinese cultures.

I believe that it means should be controlled and should not be disruptive to the society or the country.

Anything can disrupt society, if you create the conditions required for it to do such.

Even Buddhism is causing people in Burma to go ape crazy.

The key is to treat people nicely, but to not bend over backwards for them.

Religions in China must be Chinese in orientation. I believe China government wants to cut any kind of direct connection between Religions in and outside of China like what China has done to Catholicism.

That cant possibly be it. Again it is a vague statement from a country which is very straightforward in most things. Personal opinions cannot be taken for arguments.

Which religions are Chinese in orientation? Orientation as in societal values or as in exactly what?

This is a very good question. I don't think there are exact criteria. The basic idea is to shape the religion so that it doesn't look too alien to the local tradition. Using Buddhism as an example, in China, most monks use religious names in Chinese style. Some of Buddhism saints also have their Chinese names, too. Their statures may use Chinese faces and their fashion styles may be Chinese. There are even Chinese version of their legends. Basically, a mingled version of Indian and Chinese cultures.

So God can only be Chinese? That doesn't exactly make sense now does it?

Because Buddhism is a lot more vague and flexible.

There's nothing wrong with a certain amount of vagueness, but imo, something like a religion should be fixed in certain aspects.
I think religions are the most flexible teaching in the world. Saints and prophets are always flexible. They usually apply teachings in different ways to different people. Their goal is only to let people see the truth, not just apply some rules. It is only when those don't truly understand it want to seize the power, it becomes inflexible. The strict rules only serve the purpose of not having to explain to people and convince people.

So God can only be Chinese? That doesn't exactly make sense now does it?
God is Chinese, too. Why cannot God appear in Chinese form to Chinese people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom