What's new

Recent Interview with Pakistani Nuclear scientist Dr.Samar Mubarakmand

I'd rather not comment on the validity of his comments, as I said before, statements like these are kind of necessary, though no longer in the current era. Regarding warheads capable of changing trajectory during re-entry, that is not practically possible at the moment with the current technology that we have. Before re-entry, sure the trajectory can be changed, even multiple times.

However, his claim on the incapability of present/under development Indian BMD to intercept individual warheads is true to an extent, as warheads offer relatively lesser RCS and size for kinetic or explosive impact. Unless DRDO demonstrates PAD/AAD's effectiveness against Agni-I & Agni-II, their effectiveness against Pakistani missiles will remain questionable.

Have you notice something that how confident and Calm he was regarding Question on Indian ABM capabilities ? or hitting any Target in India without any hiccups ? I wonder there is much behind the scene as we not know of :)
but honestly I don't care, as far as our Country's defense is in potent hands .. I won't mind the Scientist not revealing everything ..

If they can correct their trajectory after reentery then they can change it too.
Thats not true, trajectory correction (Yes, the terminal one) is done as soon as the last stage separates. Now, you can stick the correction system with the warhead, varying the trajectory while the RV is still in space (keeping in mind the thruster fuel constraint) till before re-entry. But before re-entry, the correction system has to be separated, and the RV has to be spun up for stabilization. After that, there is absolutely no trajectory correction possible as the RV is spinning during re-entry.

Simplified version, Missile launch -> Stage separations -> RV alignment -> Trajectory correction -> Spinning up of RV -> Re-entry -> Boom.

Have you notice something that how confident and Calm he was regarding Question on Indian ABM capabilities ? or hitting any Target in India without any hiccups ? I wonder there is much behind the scene as we not know of :)
but honestly I don't care, as far as our Country's defense is in potent hands .. I won't mind the Scientist not revealing everything ..
I would be that confident too, because at present the Indian BMD capabilities are not mature enough to be worried about. However, it is the S-400 acquisition that worries me, because of its proven capability to take on SRBMs. Rest assured, counter-measures are in the works, and as always a solution will come out of the blue at the right time.

Only last 30.48 km is thick atmosphere..where rv needs to spin for re entry. before that RV can change it trajectory... going at mac 15 i dont think there would be enough time to re calculate the new re entry trajectory and guide an interceptor with any degree of accuracy

If last trajectory correction is done just above 100000 feet... there is less than a minute to capculate new trajectory and get an interceptor into the new path.....

The indian bmd has never been tested against an rv descending from 600 kms...

They use non separating prithvi missile with 250 km range and 30 km maximum height ....

Its like an earlier version of american pac patriot... but even less effective than that

Yes s 400 is far more concerning... but that too for ghauri series may be

But that should not mean we shud just sit on our backs....

Rv can be made stealth and interposed with decoys.... mirv for over whelming attack...

As enemy evolves.....so shoukd we.....

If indians have foreign help...so do we....

And this question of bmd is not a new one... heavy weights have already posed and answered this question

Last edited:
I would be that confident too, because at present the Indian BMD capabilities are not mature enough to be worried about. However, it is the S-400 acquisition that worries me, because of its proven capability to take on SRBMs. Rest assured, counter-measures are in the works, and as always a solution will come out of the blue at the right time.

S-400 is indeed a matter of Concern for Pakistan, specially when our Air force is so ill-Equipped .. the solution for latest SAM's must somewhere around Stealth Fighters or more Stealth CM's ..

The matter of S-400 may not be as complicated as it looks.
The top dog of Indian ABM will be the S-400 which can only track incoming warheads at Mach 15 or below. Above that speed the S-400 radar cannot track any target.
The kill altitude of S-400 for a warhead coming in at Mach 15 or below is 60 kilometre. The interceptor is only fired when the incoming warhead is at 60 Km altitude, so that the missile has enough fuel to do the high speed maneuvering. Also at that altitude the incoming Warhead also starts losing speed due in denser atmosphere and friction.

There option of MIRV or even MREV isn't for Pakistan as it locks up too many precious warheads on one missile and if the one missile fails or gets neutralized along with that a considerable percentage of your nuclear warheads are gone.

Playing around with the REENTRY vehicle Is the way to go.

A shaheen 2 rises to about 350 Kilometres and then barges down towards target, and hits atmosphere at around 90 Kilometre altitude while traveling at Mach 13. Thats two mach numbers inside the limit at which S-400 can start tracking it.After that it starts slowing down as atmospheric friction takes over.At the time of detonation it may be at Mach. 5
As apogee increases,so does the reentry speed. For example a minuteman 3 missile rises to an altitude of 1300 km and has reentry speed of Mach 48.
If Shaheen 2 is fired at Lofted trajectory, say apogee at 500+ kilometre, then the warhead will have more time to free fall in the vacuum of space and accumulate speed?You lose some range as thep portion of fuel is used to attain altitude instead of covering distance.
From that apogee it will enter atmosphere at speeds higher than Mach 15 and although S-400 radar will detect it,but won't be able to track it until it is at much lower altitude, by which time due to air friction it would have slowed down to a speed at which S-400 can track it and hit it. But by that time it will be too late and not enough time for interceptor missile to reach the target warhead. Or that is the theory.
Shaheen 3 already splashes down at higher Mach numbers than what S-400 can track and has a smaller warhead which has less surface area for air friction and for radar waves to bounce, so it may already be safe.

There is another more complicated way involving MREV, but I am tired of writing this length comment which I am not sure why I bothered to write, so will write about 2D MREV concept later.

Last edited: 52 minutes

Last edited:
Only last 30.48 km is thick atmosphere..where rv needs to spin for re entry. before that RV can change it trajectory... going at mac 15 i dont think there would be enough time to re calculate the new re entry trajectory and guide an interceptor with any degree of accuracy

If last trajectory correction is done just above 100000 feet... there is less than a minute to capculate new trajectory and get an interceptor into the new path.....
Thats not entirely accurate. RVs decelerate to less than Mach 4 during re-entry, so assuming that it will be travelling at Mach 15 till it detonates is flawed assumption.

The indian bmd has never been tested against an rv descending from 600 kms...

They use non separating prithvi missile with 250 km range and 30 km maximum height ....

Its like an earlier version of american pac patriot... but even less effective than that
Prithvi-II simulated target takes a very lofted trajectory, re entering at a much steeper angle, so the interception is more of a head-on one. What remains to be proven via a Agni-I/II test, is the interception of a smaller target (RV) at a much more lateral angle of re-entry.

Yes s 400 is far more concerning... but that too for ghauri series may be

But that should not mean we shud just sit on our backs....

Rv can be made stealth and interposed with decoys.... mirv for over whelming attack...

As enemy evolves.....so shoukd we.....

If indians have foreign help...so do we....

And this question of bmd is not a new one... heavy weights have already posed and answered this question
There ins't anything like a stealth RV, as the missile can be detected easily in boost phase and tracking it from thereon is not difficult. Moreover, the RV shape cannot be optimized for RCS reduction, as it is constrained by the relevant aerodynamics.

The interviewer reminds me of a typical Government High school Principal.

Dr Samar is not a man to be taken lightly even if he does not seem "astute" in interviews. Having met him multiple times, and had his counsel in career and in general life; I would not trust anything he says on the TV as having anything to do with what is really going on. And that is a compliment for those who understand.
In other words you are saying he doesn't tell real things on TV for obvious reasons

Stealth rv does exists and shaheen 1a is said to have one...

Also rv can manuver within atmosohere as well with deployable wings as seen on earlier versions of shaheen 1 and ghaznvi, later they were dropped for re entry correction system... may be we need to put them back on....

There ins't anything like a stealth RV, as the missile can be detected easily in boost phase and tracking it from thereon is not difficult. Moreover, the RV shape cannot be optimized for RCS reduction, as it is constrained by the relevant aerod

That lofted trajectory was 80 km not 800 km and its still a large non separating missile....

Stealth rv does exists and shaheen 1a is said to have one...

Also rv can manuver within atmosohere as well with deployable wings as seen on earlier versions of shaheen 1 and ghaznvi, later they were dropped for re entry correction system... may be we need to put them back on....
Um no, it doesn't effectively exists. The Mk-11C reentry vehicle aboard Minuteman-III incorporated a change from the standard titanium nose cone to reduce RCS, however I don't know what they exactly did. In the face of modern radar and IR technology, RCS reduction of normal RVs is not feasible. Any applied RAM would burn up on re-entry, and there is no way to hide the heat plume of a re-entry vehicle. The seekers of today's interceptors can easily lock on it, the interception itself is another matter.

No, Shaheen-IA doesn't have a stealthy RV, that was just fanboy journalism.

Those winglets are fixed and are rather for RV stability. SRBMs have lower re-entry speeds so the winglets don't burn up, and can be used for stabilization, rather than spinning the RV itself. However, making them movable and using them for evasive maneuvers is another matter, and probably would do more harm than good.

Um no, it doesn't effectively exists. The Mk-11C reentry vehicle aboard Minuteman-III incorporated a change from the standard titanium nose cone to reduce RCS, however I don't know what they exactly did. In the face of modern radar and IR technology, RCS reduction of normal RVs is not feasible. Any applied RAM would burn up on re-entry, and there is no way to hide the heat plume of a re-entry vehicle. The seekers of today's interceptors can easily lock on it, the interception itself is another matter.

Those winglets are fixed and are rather for RV stability. SRBMs have lower re-entry speeds so the winglets don't burn up, and can be used for stabilization, rather than spinning the RV itself. However, making them movable and using them for evasive maneuvers is another matter, and probably would do more harm than good.

Those winglets are fixed and are rather for RV stability. SRBMs have lower re-entry speeds so the winglets don't burn up, and can be used for stabilization, rather than spinning the RV itself. However, making them movable and using them for evasive maneuvers is another matter, and probably would do more

http://defense-update.com/20151012_emad_missile.html

Please read....

Pakistani missile even look.more sphisticated than emad... and defenitely are more advanced

http://defense-update.com/20151012_emad_missile.html

Please read....

Pakistani missile even look.more sphisticated than emad... and defenitely are more advanced
Now that is something innovative (of sorts). What the Iranians have done here is figure out a way to not only stabilize the RV by using fins, but also maneuver it using the same fins, inside the atmosphere. We don't have anything like that, capable of maneuvering inside the amosphere. We either use fins (Ghaznavi/Shaheen-I) or spinning (Shaheen-IA/II/III, Ghauri) for stabilization, not maneuvering.

@The Deterrent
Indian missile said to have carbon fiber RV does it give any stealth feathures to it? Indian BMD is still behind a full decade to be muture or trust worthy till then a test of mArv or mIrv effectively neutralize the Indian edge.

@The Deterrent
Indian missile said to have carbon fiber RV does it give any stealth feathures to it? Indian BMD is still behind a full decade to be muture or trust worthy till then a test of mArv or mIrv effectively neutralize the Indian edge.
The entire RV is not made of carbon fiber, the small black color tip on the nose of the missile, thats made of 3D carbon-carbon. Its purpose is to withstand re-entry heat, rather than give stealthy features.
As I said before, counter-measures will arrive, all in good time.

Back
Top Bottom