What's new

Question for American Muslims

It takes some time to get settle no matter where you live . Discrimination exist everywhere in different forms

I saw some very disturbing news about discrimination of Muslims in the US. Would it be a bad idea if i go over to the US for employment ? By profession--I am a chemical engineer.

That's was like my backup plan if i dont make it into the IAS/IPS cadre by 2014.

Fazlu the first question should be would you be able to get job in US and not how you will be treated there. Most of the people i know with degrees form this part of the world still has to work on stores, pumps, pizza shops and drive taxis because the institutes in our part of the world are not considered upto the par with the western ones hence their degrees are just a piece of paper for them thats why most of the people try to advance their studies in US institutes and if they can't afford the hefty expenses of universities then diploma from colleges is the other option they have

Also i have heard about the general biasedness while giving jobs they prefer their own people first than it comes to the people of the nations ascended preference wise though there may be some companies out there with no biased attitude but certainly there are many with such considerations especially in most part of the europe

You have another option , you go there and do some advance study from some native uni that may pave a way for you.

But why you want to leave india with increasing opportunities (though might be paid relatively less) and go to the country crippled with un-employment. There is nothing like home if you can get a job decent enough in india than better to stay here

Employers discriminate against Muslims

Muslims face "massive discrimination" when applying for jobs, according to the first scientifically validated study of anti-Muslim bias among employers in France.

Researchers now want to study whether there is a similar bias in Britain, where unemployment among Muslims is higher than in any other religious group.

The French study found that a fictional job applicant with a traditionally Christian first name was more than two-and-a-half times more likely to receive a response from a potential French employer than an identical applicant with a Muslim name.

The scientists who carried out the research believe the highly significant difference in response rates was entirely due to the perceived religious affiliations of the job applicant rather than any prejudice connected with differences in race, age or gender.

The unemployment rate among British Muslim men is around 13 per cent, which is approximately three times higher than the rate among men belonging to other faiths. Young Muslims are at even higher risk of being unemployed. Muslims aged between 16 and 24 have the highest jobless rates of any group and are more than twice as likely to be unemployed compared to Christians of the same age, with a jobless rate of 28 per cent compared with 11 per cent, according to the Office of National Statistics.

The study in France may explain why Muslims in European countries are more likely to be without jobs than members of other religions. It attempted to eliminate the possibly confounding prejudices of race by concentrating on second-generation Senagalese immigrants to France, who can be either Muslim or Christian.

The researchers, led by David Laitin of Stanford University in California, created and mailed out 275 pairs of résumés to French employers advertising for jobs. Each of the paired résumés was identical in terms of job qualifications and experience except for the names of the applicants.

One of the applicants had a Christian given name, "Marie Diouf", while another had a Muslim given name, "Khadija Diouf". To emphasise the religious difference in the applicants, Maire Diouf said she worked for Catholic Relief and was a member of Christian scouts, and Khadija Diouf said she had worked for Islamic Relief and was a member of Muslim scouts.

As a scientific control, the researchers compiled a third fictional résumé in the name of "Aurelie Menard", who could be identified as a rooted French person with no assumed religion – unlike "Diouf" which in France is easily identified as a Senagalese name. Every employer received a résumé of Aurelie Menard with a résumé of either Marie Diouf or Khadija Diouf – employers may have detected a test if they received applications from both Marie and Khadija Diouf, researchers said.

Employers discriminate against Muslims, study finds - Home News - UK - The Independent

It is relevant to mention here that 41 percent visa applications of Pakistanis belonging to different walks of life were rejected by the UK during last year.

According to the British Home Office Statistics, as quoted by the BBC, the second largest, 31 percent, after Pakistan were Bangladeshi visa applicants who were refused the visa while only 14 percent Indian visa applicants were refused during the last year.

Highest percentage of visa refusal | The Nation

Pakistani-Canadians: Falling below the poverty line | DAWN.COM

Pakistan-born immigrants are the new face of poverty in urban Canada. The Canadian census revealed that 44 per cent of Pakistan-born immigrants fell below the poverty line making them the second most poverty prone group of immigrants in Canada.

While they may project an aura of opulence during their visits back home, their life in Canada, however, is often full of struggle and frustration. Thousands of Pakistani trained engineers, doctors, and PhDs are driving taxis or are working as security guards in large cities. In fact, one in three taxi-drivers in Canada was born in either India or Pakistan. Several others are unemployed thus becoming a burden on Canadian taxpayers.

The latest Census data for income for 2005 revealed that Pakistan-born immigrants reported the second highest incidence for the low-income cut-off, a proxy for poverty line in Canada. In comparison, only 18 per cent of India-born immigrants in Canada reported being a low-income person or belonging to a low-income economic family. Immigrants born in the United Kingdom, Portugal, Italy and Germany reported the lowest incidence of poverty in Canada

image002.jpg

Unlike in the Middle East where the Arab governments do not allow assimilation of migrant workers, the Canadian government and the society to a large extent does not create systematic barriers that may limit the immigrants’ ability to succeed and assimilate in Canada. This is not to suggest that immigrants face no barriers at all in Canada. They in fact do. For instance, Pakistan-trained doctors cannot practice medicine without completing further training in Canada. The shorter duration of medical training in Pakistan necessitates the additional certification for doctors. Engineering graduates from Pakistan, however, face no such barrier because the engineering curriculum and the duration of training in Pakistan is similar to that in Canada.

Despite the opportunities (and constraints), Pakistani-Canadians have not prospered as much as immigrants from other countries have. In 2005, wages earned by Pakistan-born immigrants were on average 70 per cent of the wages earned by those born in Canada. In comparison, wages earned by the India-born immigrants were 86 per cent of the wages earned by Canadians. At the same time, immigrants born in America earned 20 per cent more in wages than those born in Canada. Similarly, UK-born immigrants also reported on average higher wages than that of Canadian-born.

Because of lower wages, the Pakistan-born immigrants reported as one of the lowest home-ownership rates. Only 55 per cent of Pakistan-born immigrants reported owning their homes. In comparison, 75 per cent of the India-born immigrants owned their homes. At the same time, while only 12 per cent of the India- and Philippines-born immigrants had never worked in the past, 22 per cent of the Pakistan-born immigrants in Canada reported never being in the workforce.

The difference in wages, home-ownership rates, and employment rates between immigrants from India and Pakistan extend beyond the economic spheres. For instance, Pakistani-born immigrants live in large-sized families. Whereas only 13 per cent of India-born immigrants live in households of five persons or more, 44 per cent of the Pakistan-born immigrants live in households with five or more people. Given the lower wages, high unemployment rates and rental units, Pakistan-born immigrants experience severe crowding at homes where the number of residents per room is perhaps the highest owing to the large family sizes.

Given similar cultural endowments, education, and language skills, it is important to explore why Pakistan-born immigrants in Canada have lagged behind their Indian counterparts. The Indian diaspora is much larger in size and has been established in Canada for over a longer period, which has allowed immigrants from India to benefit from the social networks required to establish oneself in employment markets.

While immigrants from Pakistan lack the social networks necessary for success with employment, I would also argue that they suffer from a self-imposed identity crisis. After arriving from Pakistan, many male immigrants feel threatened by the Canadian liberal values, which empower their children and women. Suddenly the head of the household cannot dictate the way he did in Pakistan. Instead of embracing the change that empowers their families, several male immigrants end up in a hostile standoff with their families that sometimes lasts for decades. At the same time, religious leaders, which are almost always imported from back home to serve in mosques in Canada, preach orthodoxy to the parish, further confusing the struggling males.

With turmoil at home and bleak employment prospects outside, Pakistan-born male immigrants struggle with the decision to stay in Canada or return to Pakistan. Children and wives are often shipped back to Pakistan for prolonged periods while the males continue struggling in the job market. While their children see themselves as Canadians, the Pakistan-born male immigrants spent decades figuring out how to cope with their hyphenated identity, i.e., Pakistani-Canadian.

The limited success of (mostly Asian and African) immigrants in the economic spheres and their modest assimilation in the mainstream Canadian culture has prompted the right-wing groups to launch campaigns against immigration to Canada. While opponents of immigration are mostly naïve and their recommendations to reduce immigration border on lunacy, the fact remains that huge changes in the Canadian immigration policies are already taking place. In Saskatchewan, for instance, the provincial government on May 2 has changed the law that now prohibits immigrants from sponsoring their extended family members unless they secure a “high skill” job offer before arrival.

Since 2001, Pakistan has lost the most in its share of supplying immigrants to Canada. Pakistan was the third largest source of immigrants to Canada in 2001 supplying 6.1 per cent of the total immigrants. However, by 2010 Pakistan’s share of immigrants declined by 71 per cent. Pakistan is no longer even in the top 10 sources of immigrants for Canada. At the same time, the Philippines experienced a 153 per cent increase in its share of immigrants making it the biggest source of immigrants to Canada in 2010.

While there is no shortage of applicants in Pakistan, it is hard to establish the precise reason for the declining number of immigrants. It could be that the dismal performance of Pakistan-based immigrants may have prompted the government to reduce the intake from Pakistan. It may also be true that the exponential increase in violence and militancy in Pakistan may have made the task of verifying credentials and identifying future citizens much more difficult.

Over the next 50 years Canada will need millions more immigrants. The current and expected fertility rates in Canada suggest that immigration is the only possible way of ensuring enough workers needed for economic growth and to keep solvent Canada’s security net. Pakistan-born immigrants had the chance to excel in Canada and pave the way for future generations of enterprising immigrants. Instead, Pakistan-born immigrants became the face of Canada’s urban poverty. Their dismal performance in Canada and the spread of religious fanaticism back home will most likely further reduce immigration from Pakistan.

Speak for your self Cheng!

I am! Please read my post again. :D

Actually, no problems at airports either.

No, wait, it is HORRIBLE! :D

The midwest is pretty dead, but both coasts are great for "happenings".

Russell Peters tours USA regularly; don't worry, you can see him easily.

===================================

USA is a dead empire; the currency is crashing; there are riots in the streets; there is no money, food or electricity; gun-toting redneck racists are everywhere! It is very very horrible for all here, and even worse than very very horrible for Muslims. Just stay away!

Actually, go to China.

:D

Do you disagree? :P

Dude I keep long hair and totally have a Muslim look, but never has anyone said anything to me.

Only once in a class in my university.

This jew was saying how Muslims are backwards and in the stone age ect.

And I turned around and said to him, where were you guys before we taught you how clean your *** properly?

He just went quiet, and my professor was shocked and laughed a little bit.

Bravo...:tup:

My KKK friends and I like to get our hound-dogs in our pick-ups and organise Muslim hunts...but if you are quick on your feet you should be fine...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Fazlu the first question should be would you be able to get job in US and not how you will be treated there. Most of the people i know with degrees form this part of the world still has to work on stores, pumps, pizza shops and drive taxis because the institutes in our part of the world are not considered upto the par with the western ones hence their degrees are just a piece of paper for them thats why most of the people try to advance their studies in US institutes and if they can't afford the hefty expenses of universities then diploma from colleges is the other option they have

Also i have heard about the general biasedness while giving jobs they prefer their own people first than it comes to the people of the nations ascended preference wise though there may be some companies out there with no biased attitude but certainly there are many with such considerations especially in most part of the europe

You have another option , you go there and do some advance study from some native uni that may pave a way for you.

Actually, i plan on securing the job down here and then going over to the US. Many US companies recruit from India--especially now that there is recession. If you have a recognized degree and a good score--its pretty easy--especially if you know where to look.

I dont know anyone who went backpacking to the US to "try" their luck. Maybe a long time ago--but i dont know of anyone who did that.

But why you want to leave india with increasing opportunities (though might be paid relatively less) and go to the country crippled with un-employment. There is nothing like home if you can get a job decent enough in india than better to stay here

I will have to move out of my home state to get a job in my field. Moving between states is like moving to an entirely new country. I can't spot any difference between that and moving to the US except the maybe the distance and infrastructure.

My hopes and prayers are all on cracking UPSC exam and making it into the IAS cadre. But i feel less confident about my prospects with each passing day. I would drop all this nonsense in a heartbeat if i get selected into the IAS ( --Indian bureaucracy )

My brother graduated from the Indian military academy after getting through his degree. My family has a long line of bureaucrats and state government officials. Expectations are high---but sometimes i find their shoes too big for me to fill.

I will have to move out of my home state to get a job in my field. Moving between states is like moving to an entirely new country. I can't spot any difference between that and moving to the US except the maybe the distance and infrastructure.

My hopes and prayers are all on cracking UPSC exam and making it into the IAS cadre. But i feel less confident about my prospects with each passing day. I would drop all this nonsense in a heartbeat if i get selected into the IAS ( --Indian bureaucracy )

My brother graduated from the Indian military academy after getting through his degree. My family has a long line of bureaucrats and state government officials. Expectations are high---but sometimes i find their shoes too big for me to fill.

I wish you the best of luck in your plans. May you be successful beyond your dreams!

Back
Top Bottom