What's new

Question for American Muslims

It's all well for American-Muslims

Everybody living their happily... only problem is at the airports - so once you cross that... All is well

An older friend of mine--a yadav-- cleared the exam THREE times. And THREE times he tanked on the interview.

The poor guy still hasn't recovered :lol:

May be before, but I heard UPSC reduced the importance of interview in the selection process. I read about the interview experience of a doctor from my state. Its a grueling interview lasting an hour or so where they can ask about anything under the sun but the main thing is be honest. Just say 'Don't know' if you really don't know.

True if you even push someone they will claim to have injuries and sue for liability. People are like that here whatever gets them easy cash works. :D

One of the reasons that I heard why Instruction Manuals weigh more than the Instrument itself bcs the companies wants to cover every legal loophole that can invite a potential law suit.

I have a few relatives in Sacramento California, New York and Missouri. California comesacross to me as a very 'happening' place.

PS: Offtopic--Where do i get to see Russell peters ? Huge fan.

May be before, but I heard UPSC reduced the importance of interview in the selection process. I read about the interview experience of a doctor from my state. Its a grueling interview lasting an hour or so where they can ask about anything under the sun but the main thing is be honest. Just say 'Don't know' if you really don't know.

One of the reasons that I heard why Instruction Manuals weigh more than the Instrument itself bcs the companies wants to cover every legal loophole that can invite a potential law suit.

Yeah man but no one actually reads those things. :D

Dont like the work environment. In India promotions/bonuses/salary hikes dont come as often. For my qualification experience and associated skills i can get a much more "bloated" salary package abroad than at home.

It shouldn't matter much since i dont have any intention of renouncing my citizenship. Inherited property in India :)

You do know that the cost of living in the USA is also high?? Especially since the taxes were increased. NYC since it is a major commercial area the cost of living is exorbitant, but if you move outside NY the less likely you will find a job and that too a high paying one.

Ever since the recession of 08 prices have gone up while people lost jobs and those who didn't (unless your in the medical field or in jobs like Taxi driving, auto mechanic, construction, etc) your salary hasn't increased and even if it did probably by not much.

You do know that the cost of living in the USA is also high?? Especially since the taxes were increased. NYC since it is a major commercial area the cost of living is exorbitant, but if you move outside NY the less likely you will find a job and that too a high paying one.

Ever since the recession of 08 prices have gone up while people lost jobs and those who didn't (unless your in the medical field or in jobs like Taxi driving, auto mechanic, construction, etc) your salary hasn't increased and even if it did probably by not much.

US is indeed a strange place. These people are suffering in other parts of the world due to recession.

Also due to recession prices are going up. WTF?

It really depends on which state or city you plan on moving to. Different areas have different demographics and subculture. As for me I've lived here for the majority of my life and have never really been discriminated against. Though, I think it does depend on how you are as a person (if you request I will go into detail about this point). Considering, you're a foreigner that does change the equation, I grew up here so there are different factors at play.

As far as the comment below me...

Dude every brown person is labelled a terrorist in the USA

Yeah right...

^ I usually get along with almost everyone and dont keep any grudges. I would love it if you added a little bit more detail. I dont have any prior experience with the US or its culture--the little i know, i get from my relatives.

^ I usually get along with almost everyone and dont keep any grudges. I would love it if you added a little bit more detail. I dont have any prior experience with the US or its culture--the little i know, i get from my relatives.

Considering you're a foreigner and citizen from India, you will probably be extra scrutinized at the airports. As for integrating into society and working here, your life and social situation will depend on mainly how you behave and conduct yourself. If you have an accent, you will be perceived as a foreigner and some people will likely treat you differently for it. Other factors, include how you dress yourself, your mannerisms, politeness, and many other factors will determine how well you transition, and not simply tolerably transition but actually "fit in".

Sometimes professionals from overseas may encounter American professionals who perceive themselves as superior to those educated abroad, considering the higher standard of education and University here; so there is that hurdle you may face.

It is good you can get along with people, considering you mentioned you have no prior experience with the US or its culture(s), you will certainly at first struggle to fit in, I guess it's like trying to force Blood type B into someone who is Blood type A (not the best analogy to use but nonetheless).

I really do emphasize it really depends on which city or state your moving to, as people in different cities and states behave and think differently.

This is a complex subject I don't know you so I can only provide little insight, America is a vast world.

US is indeed a strange place. These people are suffering in other parts of the world due to recession.

Also due to recession prices are going up. WTF?

Thousands of college graduates are without jobs, hence the Wall Street protests and sit ins. It also depends on where you live in the USA and what your profession is. For example if you live in commercial areas like NYC where you are more likely to find a job if considering that your profession is in high demand, then you won't have difficulty earning money, but the cost of living (taxes, rent, groceries, public transportation, gas prices, etc) will suck you dry, so to speak. Some people live with roommates and share the costs or if you're married or in a relationship and you both work you can also share the cost that way. For one person its burdening, especially if you're starting off and your initial pay isn't high then you might as well live with your parents in the basement, save up some money, and wait a while until you get a raise or live with a roommate (someone you can trust of course) and share the costs. Also, another benefit of NYC is that you will come across a lot of people of your background so they could assist you in familiarizing with the place and what not.

Now if your move out to the rural areas out in the country side, the prices there are very low, the cost of living is also cheap, but then again there aren't any jobs there, majority of the people living there work on the farm land or make their living from the lumber industry chopping trees and all of that other stuff country folks do. Oh, and they are xenophobic and don't really like foreigners moving into their towns. They are really nice people but they don't like foreigners moving into their towns (towns are where most of the jobs are besides the farming and lumber industry in the country). Also, you pretty much will spend the whole day maintaining your home ie plumbing, fixing roofs, repairing broken windows, etc since there really aren't that many services out there or they are far in the distant.

As far as discrimination goes, it depends on a lot of factors like what part of the US you live in, if you're new to the US, your personality, how you carry yourself, your accent, etc.

You will be alright man. Your main concern should be finding a good job which does justice to your qualification.
Best of luck.

It's all well for American-Muslims

Everybody living their happily... only problem is at the airports - so once you cross that... All is well

Actually, no problems at airports either.

No, wait, it is HORRIBLE! :D

I have a few relatives in Sacramento California, New York and Missouri. California comesacross to me as a very 'happening' place.

PS: Offtopic--Where do i get to see Russell peters ? Huge fan.

The midwest is pretty dead, but both coasts are great for "happenings".

Russell Peters tours USA regularly; don't worry, you can see him easily.

===================================

USA is a dead empire; the currency is crashing; there are riots in the streets; there is no money, food or electricity; gun-toting redneck racists are everywhere! It is very very horrible for all here, and even worse than very very horrible for Muslims. Just stay away!

Actually, go to China.

:D

Back
Top Bottom