What's new

Poor diet in India

Gaurish: To downgrade India was NEVER my intent. I just found the topic of the editorial interesting, but the subsequent debate has been hijacked far away from intelligently discussing the article. Mods may please close this thread. Thanks.

These vegetarian vs non-vegetarian, North-Indian vs South Indian, and Cantonese vs non-Cantonese detours may be quite distracting indeed. I apologize to you, the OP, for indulging in some of the digression myself.

But before people discuss the politics, economics, "downgrade this" and "upgrade that" ... what is the definition of malnutrition that is used as the basis for this article?

Is that not of material interest?

These vegetarian vs non-vegetarian, North-Indian vs South Indian, and Cantonese vs non-Cantonese detours may be quite distracting indeed. I apologize to you, the OP, for indulging in some of the digression myself.

But before people discuss the politics, economics, "downgrade this" and "upgrade that" ... what is the definition of malnutrition that is used as the basis for this article?

Is that not of material interest?

Micronutrient and/or protein deficiency is shown in a very large group of malnourished people. They either do not receive adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals (micronutrients), or the correct proportion of protein in their diets. This can also have very debilitating effects on people and societies. The health symptoms may not be immediately visible to either the individuals themselves or to health workers, or they can take years to manifest themselves. The result is lost productivity, and a great increase in health care costs which negatively affects other government attempts to improve the quality of life - aside from the enormous social cost.

The diet can be made a balanced one even without spending too much its another matter Indian media and Indian nutritionists have to come forward and educate the people about different food items.

the shakahari thing can also be handled if someone has a problem going masahari you can have substitute food that isnt meat but rich in protein.

This is why, many indian's I have met have been of short stature and weak physical nature, in comparison to Pakistan's, it must be due to poor diet.

Most of you guys are of short stature. Unless you think 5'6/7 isnt short.

Soyabean was not a part of the Indian diet as such.

It is now being cultivated in abundance and is being used.

However, there is no doubt that it will be time before people get adjusted to new diets.

For instance, since it is easy to prepare and yet it is filling, Maggi Noodles have become very popular. It however, does nothing towards negating the protein deficiency!

This is why, many indian's I have met have been of short stature and weak physical nature, in comparison to Pakistan's, it must be due to poor diet.

Physical features are governed by the Genes.

malnutrition is a problem in India and somehow not in Pakistan even though in per capita terms we are pretty much similar . This is a mystery really . I personally don't think it has anything to do with vegetarian or non -vegetarian . The govt. must really try to find out what the problem is .good thing is that atleast among the elites the trend of gymming and nutritinal supplements has begun to catch up in a major way here .

malnutrition is a problem in India and somehow not in Pakistan even though in per capita terms we are pretty much similar . This is a mystery really . I personally don't think it has anything to do with vegetarian or non -vegetarian . The govt. must really try to find out what the problem is .good thing is that atleast among the elites the trend of gymming and nutritinal supplements has begun to catch up in a major way here .

It is not correct that there is no malnutrition problem in Pakistan.

Malnutrition In Pakistan: The Hidden Hunger

Pakistan has an alarmingly high level of malnutrition; 24 percent of the population is undernourished. The most recent estimates by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) state that 37.5 million people in Pakistan are not receiving proper nourishment. The issue is complex and widespread, with deficiencies ranging from protein to iodine, along with other health problems due to insufficient intake of these essential nutrients. But, what are the implications of these nutrient deficiencies for economic growth and development? Using household level estimates, the graph below shows that the macroeconomic costs are considerable in terms of year-in, year-out gross domestic product (GDP) foregone. For example, just three types of malnutrition are responsible for 3-4 percent of GDP loss in Pakistan in any given year, according to the United Nations Standing Committee on Nutrition (SCN) fifth report on the world nutrition situation.

Malnutrition in Pakistan is usually associated with poverty and the main causative factors include low consumption of food and foods with low nutritional value.

Malnutrition In Pakistan: The Hidden Hunger | Triple Bottom Line Magazine

we do have the issue but not as bad as India is facing currently. According to Indian Planning Commission India has more malnutrition as compared to Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka

Here are the average heights. :wave:

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China (PRC)
Male - 1.702m (5ft 7in)
Female - 1.586m (5ft 2in)

India
Male - 1.612m (5ft 3in)
Female - 1.521m (5ft 0in)

Next time please compare apples to apples....

You're comparing Chinese urban population to Indian rural population......basically using the height extreme from China and Low extreme in the case of India....

Nevertheless, the point remains that average Chinese height is more than that of Indians....
I remember reading a study about how the introduction of milk in the Chinese and Japanese diet has resulted in the increase in height for these races....
I wonder if Milk deficiency maybe a problem in the rural Indian diet....

we do have the issue but not as bad as India is facing currently. According to Indian Planning Commission India has more malnutrition as compared to Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka

yes i am aware of that , and that is a mystery because we are at similar level of Pakistan in per capita terms and much ahead of bangladesh .:confused:

Next time please compare apples to apples....

You're comparing Chinese urban population to Indian rural population......basically using the height extreme from China and Low extreme in the case of India....

Nevertheless, the point remains that average Chinese height is more than that of Indians....
I remember reading a study about how the introduction of milk in the Chinese and Japanese diet has resulted in the increase in height for these races....
I wonder if Milk deficiency maybe a problem in the rural Indian diet....

He probably already knows what he did lol..

My take on things...

Pak, BD and SL being smaller have fewer problems in transporting food to various parts of the country....Logistically, it would be easier to transport food from Punjab (Bread basin) to say Sindh or Balochistan (Drier, Deserts)

India has had major problems due to the poor infrastructure that results in the wastage of a lot of grain sitting in storage accentuated by the larger distances and costs of transportation required...
Add to that the problems with corruption and middle men that prevent the grain from reaching the poverty stricken population....

I think the situation needs to be drastically overridden to change this scenario....

Micronutrient and/or protein deficiency is shown in a very large group of malnourished people. They either do not receive adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals (micronutrients), or the correct proportion of protein in their diets. This can also have very debilitating effects on people and societies. The health symptoms may not be immediately visible to either the individuals themselves or to health workers, or they can take years to manifest themselves. The result is lost productivity, and a great increase in health care costs which negatively affects other government attempts to improve the quality of life - aside from the enormous social cost.

No one is disputing the detrimental effects of malnutrition. But I am still curious at the definition these "pro-breast-feeding" articles use ... how do I know someone is not using the genuine issue of malnutrition to push an agenda?

Here is a Medline abstract - nothing too scientifically onerous. We are not asking for average serum albumin, total protein, selenium, iron, B12, folate levels .... or iodine status.

Not even daily caloric and protein intake.

Just good ol' anthropometric parameters:

Growth pattern of the Kamars--a primitive tribe of Chhattisgarh, India.

Mitra M, Kumar PV, Ghosh R, Bharati P.

Department of Anthropology, Ravishankar University, Raipur, India.
Abstract

A cross sectional study of the physical growth status was made on 655 Kamar children (341 boys and 314 girls), aged 5 to 18 years, in the Raipur district of Chhattisgarh. The study aimed to find out the growth pattern of the Kamar children, which is considered to be a primitive tribe of Chhattisgarh, India and was compared with another Indian tribe and the official data for all India (ICMR). Anthropometric measurements included height, weight, sitting height, biacromial diameter, biilliocrystal diameter, upper arm circumference, calf circumference and measurements of the triceps and subscapular skinfolds. All anthropometric measurements except skinfold thickness exhibit uniform increase with age in both sexes. However, when height and weight of the Kamar boys and girls were compared with the data for other tribes and for all India, the Kamar children (both boys and girls) indicated lower weight and height and the difference showed to be significant, for almost all ages. Kamar boys showed higher anthropometric values than girls in almost all measurements except in biilliocrystal diameter and in measured skinfolds. Poor socio-economic status of this primitive tribe may be one of the reasons for this poor growth pattern. However, in-depth study is necessary in order to arrive at any basic conclusions and to recommend any policy and interventions.​

And on another related topic, how much of the lack of micronutrients, esp B12 for example, was due to the prevalence of sprue - tropical or otherwise?

Again, I am not minimizing or playing up the impact of anything ... just want to get at the basics.

Back
Top Bottom