What's new

Poor diet in India

I think Chinese people are more tall, than the average indian, I can vouch for that on the basis of my own experience, Chinese people are on average taller than they were just a decade ago.

You're right, according to the data. :azn:

And the Pakistanis I have met are tall. Much taller than their Indian counterparts.

Here are the average heights. :wave:

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China (PRC)
Male - 1.702m (5ft 7in)
Female - 1.586m (5ft 2in)

India
Male - 1.612m (5ft 3in)
Female - 1.521m (5ft 0in)

In China, it's an open fact that those from the north tend to be a little taller.

On average Koreans are taller than Vietnamese.

In India, the difference between Northerners and Southerners is, based solely on my observations, marked. I have routinely seen Sikh women over 5' 10".

North Indians are quite possibly, based on my first-hand observation only, taller than Southern Chinese. I would say there is little contention that Sikhs are on average taller than the Chinese in general.

In India there might actually be statistically significant differences between traditional caste groups as well. Admittedly here I am on shaky, speculative grounds and shall venture no further.

But I did read somewhere that some "tribals" are constitutionally small-statued - significantly so compared to the Indian average/median. That's why when they talk about malnutrition, it is important to ask exactly by what parameters they are measuring.

Just because it is published in prestigious magazines doesn't mean they don't "gloss over" details for the purposes of "spin".

You're right, according to the data. :azn:

And the Pakistanis I have met are tall. Much taller than their Indian counterparts.

Even among Pakistanis it depends on their origin and where in Pakistan (or South Asia) they hail from.

Having lived around "Bramladesh" for years and attended a college easily with 30% or more South Asians, you should take for granted that I have met more Pakistanis and Indians than you likely have.

On average, Punjabi Indians (including Sikhs) and Punjabi Pakistanis are all similar in height - and are taller than say, average Cantonese.

Before this discussion goes nowhere and becomes a waste of time for everyone, my reason for indulging in the topic of height is that using national average or median height in a multi-cultural (in some ways even multi-racial) society like India to gauge "malnutrition" without specifying subgroup average/median is fraught with danger.

In China, it's an open fact that those from the north tend to be a little taller.

True.

According to the data however, the average height in Hong Kong is more than that of the mainland.

Possibly due to better nutrition.

And yes the "Northeastern" Chinese are definitely the tallest.

As for Indians, there are many of them in Hong Kong. They are usually quite short, I imagine that most of them here are from South India, due to the skin tone.

Which is borne out by the statistics above.

As for Indians, there are many of them in Hong Kong. They are usually quite short, I imagine that most of them here are from South India, due to the skin tone.

There is probably some truth in that ... I have never been to Hong Kong. But I do know that in Singapore, for example, most South Asians are Tamils ... with a sprinkle of Sikhs.

But then everywhere has a sprinkle of Sikhs.

Here in my neck of the woods, I hardly ever met a Tamil unless I "paid attention". Back in my college days ... every South Asian was a Punjabi. I met more Goans than Tamils ...

The diet indeed can improve.

However, the problem is that a large majority are vegetarians.

One should actually change to the food habits that some countries follow wherein they eat anything that moves or crawls.

another thread aimed to downgrade India... :disagree: ..... i don know how much members who are not from India know facts in India better then we being citizens of the country.... and its hard to belive poor and poverty only exists in India .... there has to be limits to these talks now....

One should actually change to the food habits that some countries follow wherein they eat anything that moves or crawls.

i dont know that much

but rajputs used to be strong and they were vegetarians. am i right???

Are the South Chinese tall?

From a Chinese forum:

Original Post By Chinese-Dragon

I think The general Facial Characteristics of northern Chinese people are: tall nose, more single-folds, long and well-defined face, hairs are more thick and straight, lighter and taller.

In general Southern Chinese: higher chances of having double eye-folds,flattened out nose, shorter face, hairs are more softer, darker and shorter.
Northern Chinese vs Southern Chinese - China History Forum, Chinese History Forum

One may check this Chinese link too

North vs. South Chinese (may contain traces of ignorance) - China History Forum, Chinese History Forum

i dont know that much

but rajputs used to be strong and they were vegetarians. am i right???

They are non vegetarians.

The Bishnoi and the Marwaris and Jains of Rajasthan are vegetarian, as far as I know.

another thread aimed to downgrade India... :disagree: ..... i don know how much members who are not from India know facts in India better then we being citizens of the country.... and its hard to belive poor and poverty only exists in India .... there has to be limits to these talks now....

Gaurish: To downgrade India was NEVER my intent. I just found the topic of the editorial interesting, but the subsequent debate has been hijacked far away from intelligently discussing the article. Mods may please close this thread. Thanks.

Wht u r saying is right but it doesnt applies to India for unknwn reasons

Most ppl of old mindset consider non veg as a sin .
Brahmins dnt eat non veg due to religious issues .
Jains dnt even eat onions , garlic and other veggies which are grown under the soil .
But this ppl are the most healthiest tht I have seen

The other thing tht strikes me is tht most of the jain ppl and brahmins are rich.
So they could afford a balanced veg diet .

As some one said before tht veggie diet is for rich seems to be true

The thread isnt fake .
I dnt knw why ppl like u couldnt digest the bad truth .

Sure we are a rising nation but we still have majority of the ppl living in poverty .
And we should be able to address all this issues to become a developd nation :cheers:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom