What's new

Poor diet in India

It is not correct that there is no malnutrition problem in Pakistan.

I meant it is not as big a problem there as it is in India . I personally feel that even in India there must regional imbalances in terms of malnutrition . for eg : People of punjab , haryana , himachal and rajasthan by no means look malnutritioned at all but many people from bihar / orissa do . I know because i have lived in delhi all my life and there are many people from all these states here who i have observed .

P.S- I meant strictly on an average as there are many strong biharis and weak punjabis / haryanvis as well .

:( India has said to be having the largest child development program in the world and still malnutrition is on the rise . seems lack of proper planning

After having gone through the article at length and some of the comments, I couldn't help but notice the deviation from the core of the topic from some posters, all of whom have made some valid points.

My take on this being that most of the masses are not well informed about what a nutrition balanced diet is. It is this lack of information which has made the issue at hand a more complex one. For a lot of individuals, food means to keep oneself not hungry and this is easily achieved by consuming just rice and pulses without much inclusion of green vegetables and meat in their diet. Often times meat and non-vegetarian diet is expensive and considered a luxury item, but equal or more healthy source of protein can be obtained from vegetarian sources at a much lower cost.

What is needed is an increased awareness amongst the uneducated about the advantages of a balanced nutrition and for the govt to come up with recommended diet plans for the low income families which can be easier to afford.

Indian people who live in villages are much stronger than the middle class of the cities.

Malnutrition of the poor people in the city is horrific compared to the villages of India.

:( India has said to be having the largest child development program in the world and still malnutrition is on the rise . seems lack of proper planning

Partly lack of proper planning and partly lack of enough resources to undertake a program on such a large scale. Although the mid-day program was a good start, but many policy makers forgot to draw out the nutritional aspects and thus underestimated the costs. But for most of the children who do get food in the mid-day meal scheme, it may sometimes be better than their parents can afford. Unfortunate but true in some cases.

The thread isnt fake .
I dnt knw why ppl like u couldnt digest the bad truth .

Sure we are a rising nation but we still have majority of the ppl living in poverty .
And we should be able to address all this issues to become a developd nation :cheers:

How can we drag such issues in PDF and address them??? i know the truth and i have digested it ... but this aint practicall enough discussion so i stick to my earlier post regarding this thread

Jana there is lack of proper planning in every scemes of our govt... our ministers and MLA and MP find out some way or the other so that the funds allocated to any schemes end up in their pockets or swiss accounts...

Indian people who live in villages are much stronger than the middle class of the cities.
Malnutrition of the poor people in the city is horrific compared to the villages of India.

Some not all. People who are well off in the villages typically tend to be healthier and stronger than their urban counterpart of similar relative economic status. The malnutrition in the cities is mostly attributed to an unhealthy lifestyle, people are on the run all the time like there is no tomorrow, mostly grab and go diet.

I meant it is not as big a problem there as it is in India . I personally feel that even in India there must regional imbalances in terms of malnutrition . for eg : People of punjab , haryana , himachal and rajasthan by no means look malnutritioned at all but many people from bihar / orissa do . I know because i have lived in delhi all my life and there are many people from all these states here who i have observed .

P.S- I meant strictly on an average as there are many strong biharis and weak punjabis / haryanvis as well .

By looks alone, one cannot make out if a person is suffering from malnutrition.

Malnutrition is not because of regions, it is also on hereditary food habits.

As far as Biharis are concerned, their staple is shattu and that is high in proteins.

The tribal is more prone to malnutrition.

when these poor tribal people leave their villages go to big cities in search job , they the suffer malnutrition due the expenses.

Of course , due drought too ,the might face the same problem of food scarcity living in the villages.

But these guys are natural born athletes with amazing stamina ,and some of our best athletes are from the tribal belt of India.

Some not all. People who are well off in the villages typically tend to be healthier and stronger than their urban counterpart of similar relative economic status. The malnutrition in the cities is mostly attributed to an unhealthy lifestyle, people are on the run all the time like there is no tomorrow, mostly grab and go diet.

and also ppl in villages life is not easy they have to do small small work themselves they cant hire ppl for odd jobs so they keep working all time and be fit... in cities ppl hardly have any time to sweat

malnutrition problem is not just confined to poor ppl. even in urban middle class & rich families (esp children)suffer from malnutrition due to more intake of junk food instead of healthy diet. malnutrition & hunger are two diff things.

A question comes to mind....

A balanced Nutrition or lack thereof is a modern concept....ie. Something that has come to prominence in the modern society...

Although I do feel that having the knowledge, we must work towards improving nutritional standards in India.....but to play Devils advocate....

Given that tribals and people living in the subcontinent have been surviving without the knowledge of these nutritional practices or solutions for milleniums together, is improving "nutrition" a drive towards achieving western standards?

Please do not take the question as an indicator that in anyway I am fine with the pathetic health and nutrition standard our country lives bye...

and also ppl in villages life is not easy they have to do small small work themselves they cant hire ppl for odd jobs so they keep working all time and be fit... in cities ppl hardly have any time to sweat

Its not time just a constrain issue, there are many other constrain also . Our cities are also the most populated in the world and compare them , villages much healthy.

Youth is running to gym, not because they want to workout for fitness ,but as they know with protain supplement they can achieve big biceps and swelled upper body within months.

Back
Top Bottom