What's new

Police arrested 4 Muslim men for Blasphemy in Pakistan

Pakistani police arrest four for ‘blasphemy’ over mosque argument
Four Muslim men accused of blasphemy after arguing with religious cleric who refused to make funeral announcement for a Christian.

AP21109250381015.jpg

Blasphemy is a sensitive subject in Pakistan, where strict blasphemy laws prescribe a mandatory death penalty for certain forms of the crime [File: Fareed Khan/AP]

Pakistani police have arrested four men charged with blasphemy after they argued with an ‘imam’ (religious cleric) over whether a funeral announcement for a Christian neighbour could be made from a mosque, officials say.

The case occurred in the village of Khodi Khushal Singh, near the eastern city of Lahore, on November 18, a local police official Faryad, who goes by one name, told Al Jazeera on Thursday.

“The men have been detained and we have presented them before the court,” he said.

The men, who were Muslim, argued with a local cleric after he refused to make a funeral announcement for a Christian man from his mosque, the initial police report says.

“As soon as they arrived [at the mosque], they started cursing the mosque’s imam, they disrespected the mosque and they insulted Islam,” reads the report.

Blasphemy is a sensitive subject in Pakistan, where strict blasphemy laws prescribe a mandatory death penalty for certain forms of the crime.

The four men were charged under sections 295 and 298 of Pakistan’s penal code, which carry penalties of up to two years in prison.

Pakistan has never executed a convict under the blasphemy laws, but accusations of the offence have increasingly led to murder by mobs or individuals. Since 1990, at least 79 people have been killed in such violence, according to an Al Jazeera tally.

Pakistani human rights activists have decried the case against the four men as being unfounded.

“If there was a Muslim who in good faith wants to have an announcement such as this made in the community, it’s not an attack on someone’s faith, it’s a good cause,” said human rights activist and lawyer Nadeem Anthony.

“So if someone announces [a funeral] on a loudspeaker, how is it a religious violation?”

wow
destructive creativity of these people. creating an event out of nonissue. RSS mentality is evident here.
from a place of worship and public service the mosques have become a possession of pressure groups.

loud speakers were used to announce missing people warning of floor and storms in addition to call for prayers and funeral announcements.
but now the people have become so radicalized that lynching and blasphemy fatwa is only a breath away for them.
I am sure with this mentality these people would lynch all those peoplein early Islamic dayd before they could become Muslims.

atheists over amoralic religious morons.

Aietheists have a bastardised conception of religion. Do tell me where do they get their code of morality from? Or did it just occurred to them in the previous century out of the blue?

And no for a believer the morals or anything else takes a back seat when Monotheism is at stake . I would rather be burried without a proper funeral if the invocations there even hints at associating partner/s with The Most Exalted so plz don't try this selective morality with me .

Let's see how a christian going to a church and asking the priest to announce a funeral possession for a muslim or a jew pans out.

I have prayed Eid and Friday prayers at a Church many times during my stay in UK where there were no mosques.

churches dont have loudspeakers.

Aietheists have a bastardised conception of religion. Do tell me where do they get their code of morality from? Or did it just occurred to them in the previous century out of the blue?

And no for a believer the morals or anything else takes a back seat when Monotheism is at stake . I would rather be burried without a proper funeral if the invocations there even hints at associating partner/s with The Most Exalted so plz don't try this selective morality with me .

One needs no religion to be moralistic. Its a basic human concept.

But its useless to talk about this with people like you. You have slave mentality and i have no doubt you have not enough dignity to care for others who are not of your "tribe".

I have prayed Eid and Friday prayers at a Church many times during my stay in UK where there were no mosques.

churches dont have loudspeakers.

But they do have big speakers connecting the orchestra with the rest id the town for about an hiur or so.

Sir Do you have a christian friend? I mean like real friend and not just for following a trendy vibe ?

But they do have big speakers connecting the orchestra with the rest id the town for about an hiur or so.

Sir Do you have a christian friend? I mean like real friend and not just for following a trendy vibe ?
yeah I have a religious irish friend.

May ALLAH bless you with maturity as you grow. I will take leave from this debate.

Likewise. :cheers:

I always appreciate anyone who doesn't want to debate and exits it like a gentlemen rather than throwing curses and other stuff to my face.

Believe me, you're the winner here if you were looking to win.

I was merely looking to probe you further until you either burst into a emotional state or proved me wrong.

This is a sad outcome but I'm sure we'll tussle around some other day on a different topic. :enjoy:

You have slave mentality and i have no doubt you have not enough dignity to care for others who are not of your "tribe".

Quite rich coming from a European whose whole continent got turned into an inferno just some odd decades ago for gauging the skulls and skin tones of each others . African are called beastly people by the encylopedia britianica but nobody knew the real deal been living right next door

Quite rich coming from a European whose whole continent got turned into an inferno just some odd decades ago for gauging the skulls and skin tones of each others . African are called beastly people by the encylopedia britianica but nobody knew the real deal been living right next door

As i said, you have religion but no morals.

You are even too weak to treat a dead christian man with respect. I dont know what level of weakness is needed to have your way of thinking.

yeah I have a religious irish friend.

Ok ask him to come to Pakistan i may try to convince my christian friends into forming a revolutionary gang of 4 to approach the local padre for asking him to announce funeral possession of a muslim and if he refused to oblige then curse at him and make a scene out of it right at the church .
As i said, you have religion but no morals.

You are even too weak to treat a dead christian man with respect. I dont know what level of weakness is needed to have your way of thinking.

Keeping spewing nonsense . I don't owe You nothing

Ok ask him to come to Pakistan i may try to convince my christian friends into forming a revolutionary gang of 4 to approach the local padre for asking him to announce funeral possession of a muslim and if he refused to oblige then curse at him and make a scene out of it right at the church .

Of course not, now go to your madrassa to wish death on the "non believers".

Of course not, now go to your madrassa to wish death on the "non believers".

Madarassha intiated mediavel European renaissance . As for the death part how about you guys stop " electing " religious nutbugs who calls for crusades against people they got no business with Mr Bush junior ?

Human decency mate...
If a man died, and there are no immediate churches
Announcing funeral proccesion on loud speaker should not be an issue in any decent, civillized society

Last edited:
Madarassha intiated mediavel European renaissance . As for the death part how about you guys stop " electing " religious nutbugs who calls for crusades against people they got no business with Mr Bush junior ?

Let me ask you a thing.

You know im Greek and we are christian. Lets say my family would be in pakistan for whatever reason and one of my loved ones dies. You tell me nobody would treat us with respect and compassion? Thats outright cruel. If thats your religion, im glad its far away

Back
Top Bottom