What's new

PNS Alamgir sets sail for Pakistan

Most navy ships have these, this is hardly impressive especially for a frigate. It seems this deal came with many "strings attached" and one of them was the removal of most offensive/defensive firepower leaving the ship relatively useless not to mention the ship is already well past its usable age. The fact PN PAID to have equipment REMOVED is ridiculous and if I was a Pakistani I'd be very unhappy with whoever made this descion.

I'm sure a couple of HMG isn't impressive, however I was pointing out a local modification.
As for the rest of your post, ... balony.
None of the Perrys that are IN ACTIVE SERVICE with USN have had a functional Mk13 launcher since about 2003and therefore no Standard SAM and Harpoon capability. That was not removed from this ship for the purpose of transfer. So, the only thing that seems absent is a Phalanx CIWS, which this ship does not need for its current anti-piracy patrol duties (which is the main reason why she was obtained). Remember, this ship (and any addtionals) is intended as gap-filler: you don't want to spend a lot of money on them. I'm sure is this and any future other Perry's are still in PN service when Type 21's retire, they will receive somae of the armaments of the Type 21s (eg Ciws, 30mm cannon, Harpoon).

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom