What's new

Pictures of Naval LCA - First Supersonic Flight

i have a question. in pic 2 and 3 . there is no second pilot .. so can a twin seater fly without its 2nd pilot ?
Of course, it is a trainer variant so the controls of the front cockpit are duplicated for the rear cockpit and vice versa.

@Koovie the N-LCA will be used in conjunction with the MiG-29Ks on the Viky and IAC-1. From what I've read, the N-LCA's would be given CAP missions over the CBG and the MiG-29K/KUB with longer legs would be used for strike missions. I'd agree that this is not the most efficient use of resources and perhaps more about demonstrating India's indigenous aerospace capabilities but then everyone has to start somewhere so on balance, for India's industrial base, I would say it is a good thing especially as the N-LCA will be cheaper to operate than the twin-engined heavier MiG-29K/KUB so for simple CAP missions the N-LCA is sufficient.

@sancho I think the 45 MiG-29K/KUBs can be split between two ACCs (Viky and IAC-1) quite easily until the N-LCA is in service. Yes, it isn't an ideal situation but it is doable. I think there is a strong possibility the IN will order another SQD's worth (at least) of MiG-29K/KUBs, this would be a more acceptable situation anyway- 1 SQD on the Viky, 1 on the IAC-1, 1 SQD on land and then the war reserves.

I think the 45 MiG-29K/KUBs can be split between two ACCs (Viky and IAC-1) quite easily.

Of course, they have to and that's the problem! Each of the carriers usually should carry arround 20 fighters, so if they are splitted there is nothing left for shore based training and in reserve.

I think there is a strong possibility the IN will order another SQD's worth (at least) of MiG-29K/KUBs

Since that would reduce the N-LCA numbers, which than again makes it even less needed, I highly doubt additional orders.We compromise by far too much for this fighter![/quote]

Of course, they have to and that's the problem! Each of the carriers usually should carry arround 20 fighters, so if they are splitted there is nothing left for shore based training and in reserve.

e that would reduce the N-LCA numbers, which than again makes it even less needed, I highly doubt additional order
This is what I have heard from my friend sir, the IN had done the groundwork on additional K/KUBs in terms of looking at what additional ground infrastructure they would want at Goa. I don't think an additional SQD would necessarily cut into N-LCA orders, as I have outlined- 1 SQD on the IAC-1, 1 SQD on the Viky, 1 SQD on shore for training and additional shore-based taskings (perhaps A&N island deployment/familiarisation) and then war reserves for all 3 SQDs. Then you could have 2 N-LCA SQDs 1 SQD split between the Viky and IAC-1 and the other on shore for training and such all these SQDs rotating as they do.

I know it is not a fair comparison but the USN has more carrier fighter SQDs than can possibly housed on their ACCs at any one time so a number are always on shore either preparing for a deployment, just completing a deployment or undergoing training.

the IN had done the groundwork on additional K/KUBs in terms of looking at what additional ground infrastructure they would want at Goa.

That is not the important point, they can park as many fighters at their shore bases as they want, but how many fighters will be used on a carrier? If both carries around 20 fighters each, it doesn't make sense to add another 50 N-LCAs, since the operational use is too limited. And you shouldn't compare IN with USN, but with French or Russian carriers and their air wings, which have much less fighters. The French CdG carrier can operate more fighters than our carrier, but their air wings will only operate around 60 Rafales in total.

This project is pointless since mig29 is far more potent and useful air asset.beyond 2020 we need a fifth option not a tejas which is 25 years too late and too limited in range and payload for carrier operations
It will take years until the the Vikrant becomes operational, it will take many more years until the Vishal becomes operational and it will take many many more years until the 3rd carrier becomes operational. By that time technology will have advanced even further, the IN will have a bigger budget and much much much better alternatives to a naval Tejas

Yes sir agreed Vikrant is targeted to be operational by 2018 and navy isnt shopping for any planes as of yet. No 5th gen plane as of yet ... Rafale i think was out of consideration because of lack of fold-able wings. IF's and Buts may come .. as of now 41 migs are ordered including trainers and naval tejas

This specific one (MK1), only in Goa for test flights, since it's a tech demonstrator version only, for basic development and testing of navalisation changes. IN will only the MK2 varients for their carrier, which has mainly pride reasons and not operational once.
Sorry, it is not just for raw pride..
N lca has a very decent role, in naval avaiation for the coming years..

Back
Top Bottom