What's new

PHOTOS: INS Vikramaditya

That link is a spam. Of course deck is coated with special materials. The point is to make it look better and not so Rusty and old. It is really depressing to see. Especially when you consider, VK is going to be the flag ship of the IN.
Look 'better' for what? She's not being readied for a beauty contest, for crying out loud!!! 8-)

@janon What seems to be the issue here, I see people bellyaching about what the ship looks like? On topic, for those concerned with the "rust", deicing- familiarize yourself with the procedure.

Its not rust. Vikramditya was being tested in arctic conditions of Barents sea. There is a lot of snow and ice build up on the deck which has to be removed with deicing fluids/salts which makes the deck look shabby.

It should be fine in the tropical waters of the Indian Ocean and either case Vikramaditya was supposed to get a fresh coat of paint and a good scrub before the handover to the Indian Navy. So chill out.

Contrary to assumption one of the main reason for washing the flight deck is to remove Foreign Objects that can get sucked in and destroy the aircraft. That and Salt buildup.(which is also FO)

Contrary to assumption one of the main reason for washing the flight deck is to remove Foreign Objects that can get sucked in and destroy the aircraft. That and Salt buildup.(which is also FO)

You can wash of the foreign objects, but not the chemical reactions and abrasions.

@janon What seems to be the issue here, I see people bellyaching about what the ship looks like? On topic, for those concerned with the "rust", deicing- familiarize yourself with the procedure.

Well, more like one person bellyaching that the ship doesn't "look" menacing enough, and others (including me) foolish enough to respond. 
That is straw man argument and you know it. Shame. :disagree:

It is not an argument at all, just a statement of fact. Strawman fallacy is when somebody tries to argue against a point that has not been made by the opponent in a debate.

Well, more like one person bellyaching that the ship doesn't "look" menacing enough, and others (including me) foolish enough to respond. 

It is not an argument at all, just a statement of fact. Strawman fallacy is when somebody tries to argue against a point that has not been made by the opponent in a debate.

Yes. I did not say its not capable only that its looks rusty. Its you who then prepared a stawman and then knocked it down to claim victory.

:disagree: you loose again.

Wait, I don't have the stomach to go through a whole thread- I am trying to compile some info for a post. Give me the lowdown...why does the ship need to look "menacing" again? 
Yes. I did not say its not capable only that its looks rusty. Its you who then prepared a stawman and then knocked it down to claim victory.

So its you who's got his aesthetic sensibilities up and rankled? What's the matter?

I did not create any strawman, and i did not declare victory. I am far too old and far too mature to indulge in internet debates about flimsy points. If you were looking for a victory and ou think you got one, then good for you.

In the post that you called a strawman, all I said was that I did not call you any names. Which you accused me of, and I pointed out was a lie.

Anyway, this is gettting pointless to the point of becoming silly. Adieu. 
Wait, I don't have the stomach to go through a whole thread- I am trying to compile some info for a post. Give me the lowdown...why does the ship need to look "menacing" again? 
Posts like these turned what should have been a thread of pictures into an argument on whether looks are important:

"Why the hell does the flat top look so RUSTY. Why not give a proper coating of something to hide this and protect from further rusting."

"Perception is more important than Reality. There is a 99.99% probability that VK will never see a war. Why not just spruce it up so that it brings hope and cheer and confidence rather than have an image that remind us its an old ship."

"Especially so in the Military. That is why the Rattlesnake have the 'Rattle' in the end of its tail and the cobra has its hood.
Its is better to look fierce and prevent a war, than be really strong, look weak and thus encourage your enemies to attack you.
This is a lesson India needed to learnt 60 years ago. Would have prevented Pakistan from sending terrorists into India and beheading our soldiers at the border."

I pointed out that painting a lion or killer whale on the deck may not be the best way to intimidate the enemy, and that superior firepower will do that and not superficial looks. Should have kept my mouth shut after that. BTW, I should also have pointed out that rattlesnakes and cobras don't join the military.

Last edited:
I did not create any strawman, and i did not declare victory. I am far too old and far too mature to indulge in internet debates about flimsy points. If you were looking for a victory and ou think you got one, then good for you.

In the post that you called a strawman, all I said was that I did not call you any names. Which you accused me of, and I pointed out was a lie.

Anyway, this is gettting pointless to the point of becoming silly. Adieu. 

Posts like these turned what should have been a thread of pictures into an argument on whether looks are important:

"Why the hell does the flat top look so RUSTY. Why not give a proper coating of something to hide this and protect from further rusting."

"Perception is more important than Reality. There is a 99.99% probability that VK will never see a war. Why not just spruce it up so that it brings hope and cheer and confidence rather than have an image that remind us its an old ship."

"
Especially so in the Military. That is why the Rattlesnake have the 'Rattle' in the end of its tail and the cobra has its hood.
Its is better to look fierce and prevent a war, than be really strong, look weak and thus encourage your enemies to attack you.
This is a lesson India needed to learnt 60 years ago. Would have prevented Pakistan from sending terrorists into India and beheading our soldiers at the border.
"

So someone is trying their hand at the psychology of threat perception and how that interacts with aesthetics? Look weak, look strong, the enemy being encouraged to attack on the basis of what we "look" like? I guess they can safely disband their respective MI arms and just go with scrutinizing snaps for whether something looks ferocious or not.

So someone is trying their hand at the psychology of threat perception and how that interacts with aesthetics? Look weak, look strong, the enemy being encouraged to attack on the basis of what we "look" like? I guess they can safely disband their respective MI arms and just go with scrutinizing snaps for whether something looks ferocious or not.

You may be amused to know that, although you are being sarcastic here, the poster did suggest that our military should learn to go for better photo ops. As if the cadets in the PN are shown these photo ops, and not the technical specs of our ships and the ways to counter the systems on board our ships.

You may be amused to know that, although you are being sarcastic here, the poster did suggest that our military should learn to go for better photo ops. As if the cadets in the PN are shown these photo ops, and not the technical specs of our ships and the ways to counter the systems on board our ships.

Well when "they" see these pictures, having some formal knowledge of the particulars of operating procedures, they will note (from the "rust") that the standard operating procedures are being followed which will feed into the most probable conclusion that efficiency and discipline as far as the crew is concerned is at least at the minimum desired level...what else...

That link is a spam. Of course deck is coated with special materials. The point is to make it look better and not so Rusty and old. It is really depressing to see. Especially when you consider, VK is going to be the flag ship of the IN.

Perception is more important than Reality. There is a 99.99% probability that VK will never see a war. Why not just spruce it up so that it brings hope and cheer and confidence rather than have an image that remind us its an old ship.

Its not rusty. When you operate fighters, the surface is bound to get wheels' marks.

And those reddish rust marks are actually spill over of red markings.

Its not rusty. When you operate fighters, the surface is bound to get wheels' marks.

And those reddish rust marks are actually spill over of red markings.

Don't you think its a shame when people have to explain and justify all this ?

What a pity all those who see these images will never get to read all these wonderful justifications in its defense.

............An Image is worth a thousand words .......

Good to see Dillenger and janon patting each other on the back. :D Hope they feel better with such macho chest thumping.

Don't you think its a shame when people have to explain and justify all this ?

What a pity all those who see these images will never get to read all these wonderful justifications in its defense.

............An Image is worth a thousand words .......

Good to see Dillenger and janon patting each other on the back. :D Hope they feel better with such macho chest thumping.

Those people require said explanation why?

Back
Top Bottom