What's new

PEW research. Majority of population favours Sharia Law.

Who said nobody implements it properly.... Many many Muslim scholars do and Muslims to this day follow it. It's the uneducated clerics that misuse it. Unfortunately, the Western and other media like the Hindu extremist media that misrepresent reality of shari'ah.

Post #86 above:

The only issue I see with or without Sharia is their are no proper jurists well versed enough to implement it in Pakistan or else-where in the Islamic World. In the U.S. the body of law has developed over the years split into family law, mal-practice, insurance and patent law, etc. and those professionals will teach others within a specific field. What we are suffering from is the transfer of proper knowledge and it's implementation going forward. You'd need a good 100 years of development to have a proper functioning judicial system.

Do you see non-Muslim women in Afghanistan run around without the head cover requested by Shariah law?
Well Talibs are really OTT with literally everything in the world...

but these basic issues are cultural too, forcing people to respect the societal values is ok tbh

but I am talking about laws in important issues like land dispute, marriage laws

How can a divinely ordained system be studied and interpreted for hundreds and hundreds of years, and yet we are left with no one to implement it properly, or clerics who use it to oppress people? Something is not right here.

Excellent question. The answer is complicated. There are several factors;

1. The complete eradication of Islamic institutions during colonialism and the replacement of Islamic academics, with modern day clerics. This means there are plenty of people with theoretical knowledge, but no actual experience. I could read a book on how to perform heart surgery, that doesn't make me a surgeon.

2. The modern clergy. Riddled with selfish, greedy power hungry egotistical scumbags. A lot of people pretending to be more intelligent than they are. A lot of them are immoral too and will bend to the influence of power. They're our so called subject matter experts. If you cant trust them - why would we involve them in something so critical?

3. It's in the interests of those already in power not to implement Shariah. It takes power and influence away from them. Shariah taxes agriculture for example - do you think our landowners are happy about that?

I have a roadmap though. We need to create and fund an international thinktank which would hire researchers and Islamic academics and pair them with consultants in different fields to work in teams to develop a framework for transition from our legal/economic system to a shariah based one. It's work ought to be open source and critics should be paid to critique and find flaws which can them be discussed and workarounds developed. We need to do this without the involvement of govt. This thinktank would create a conversation, it would create a body of experts and ultimately develop the steps we need to take to get us to where we want to be.
When are you moving to Afghanistan, looks like you are fan of Sharia law. Don’t be hypocrite .
We carved Pakistan out of India for this purpose.

Well Talibs are really OTT with literally everything in the world...

but these basic issues are cultural too, forcing people to respect the societal values is ok tbh

but I am talking about laws in important issues like land dispute, marriage laws
So someone may or may not enforce non-Muslims with Shariah law. That doesn't tell me anything useful.
Excellent question. The answer is complicated. There are several factors;

1. The complete eradication of Islamic institutions during colonialism and the replacement of Islamic academics, with modern day clerics. This means there are plenty of people with theoretical knowledge, but no actual experience. I could read a book on how to perform heart surgery, that doesn't make me a surgeon.

2. The modern clergy. Riddled with selfish, greedy power hungry egotistical scumbags. A lot of people pretending to be more intelligent than they are. A lot of them are immoral too and will bend to the influence of power. They're our so called subject matter experts. If you cant trust them - why would we involve them in something so critical?

3. It's in the interests of those already in power not to implement Shariah. It takes power and influence away from them. Shariah taxes agriculture for example - do you think our landowners are happy about that?

I have a roadmap though. We need to create and fund an international thinktank which would hire researchers and Islamic academics and pair them with consultants in different fields to work in teams to develop a framework for transition from our legal/economic system to a shariah based one. It's work ought to be open source and critics should be paid to critique and find flaws which can them be discussed and workarounds developed. We need to do this without the involvement of govt. This thinktank would create a conversation, it would create a body of experts and ultimately develop the steps we need to take to get us to where we want to be.
I think the only person who is qualified to enforce Shariah law is the Prophet Himself. If Shariah law is the word of Allah, who is qualified to interpret that, except the Prophet or anyone who is on par with Him?

So someone may or may not enforce non-Muslims with Shariah law. That doesn't tell me anything useful.
In Pakistan we have no shariah law but cristian, hindu, sikh whoever, everyone walks out with a head cover
This is our culture, so as a society at large this is our common value

That if one day gov decides to enforce it, they can as this value is shared between every group of the country

This common value can be enforced for others to follow as a respect for our societal value

but marriage laws, land disputes vary, so this is something that cant be judged by shariah

In Pakistan we have no shariah law but cristian, hindu, sikh whoever, everyone walks out with a head cover

That if one day gov decides to enforce it, they can as this value is shared between every group of the country

This common value can be enforced for others to follow as a respect for our societal value

but marriage laws, land disputes vary, so this is something that cant be judged by shariah
So shariah law can be enforced on non-Muslims.

They may not. Unfortunately the only implementation you are looking at are those of extremists who self admittedly are uneducated, let alone legal experts.

I suggest you check how many Non Muslims have to live by Muslim religious restrictions in Malaysia, or Indonesia (Aceh has full shariah for example), or Iran, Saudi, Iraq, Algeria, Eygpt, Libya, Sudan, Gulf Arab states -full list of where it is implemented and to what degree is here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_Sharia_by_country#Criminal_law

In Pakistan we have a parallel legal system which is basically British law, with shariah for window dressing, implemented by dictators in the shapes of judges and lawyers. It is very uncivil. The legal system is cruelty for all, let alone the poor or minorities.

So shariah law can be enforced on non-Muslims.
Values shared by wider society at large can be enforced on people who are not native to the land

but the shariah law cant be enforced on non-Muslims (as far as I know)

brother, the Pakistani legal system implements shariah on paper, not in practice. In practice it does not implement any law other than law of the jungle.

Values shared by wider society at large can be enforced on people who are not native to the land

but the shariah law cant be enforced on non-Muslims (as far as I know)
So values derived from shariah law shared by wider society at large can be enforced on people who are not native to the land. Isn't it the same as some part of the shariah law being enforced on non-Muslims? Why the word gymnastics to try to get out of this inconvenient fact?

brother, the Pakistani legal system implements shariah on paper, not in practice. In practice it does not implement any law other than law of the jungle.
I think it says it takes "inspiration" from shariah
so even they said we not dealing with this lol
So values derived from shariah law shared by wider society at large can be enforced on people who are not native to the land. Isn't it the same as some part of the shariah law being enforced on non-Muslims? Why the word gymnastics to try to get out of this inconvenient fact?
I am not too sure values derived from shariah alone

they are conservative values, head cover in some way shape of or form has been part of our region and maybe even wider SC for at least a 1000 years, it had nothing to do with religious divide

So now everyone in our society shares this value

Last edited:
they are conservative values, head cover in some way shape of or form has been part of our region and maybe even wider SC for at least a 1000 years, it had nothing to do with religious divide

Head cover has been part of most premodern societies at least for noble women. Islam was unique that it made everyone wear it. A chinease travellers account notes this when he says: "The Tashi (Arab) Women cover their hair even if they aren't noble." Headscarves where common in Medieval Europe too. It wasn't until the invention of birth control which made s3x less dangerous that women stopped wearing modest clothes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom