What's new

Pentagon Seeks Wartime Powers For Dealing With Pak

Hi,

If pak army still does not get the message loud and clear---then there is some serious problem somewhere. If pentagon wants wartime powers---then this stituation can be well used by pak army in its favour.

The ante needs to be raised in fata---pak millitary needs to step up its ground attacks on the ttp and increase the number of troops. A massive troop movement is needed to quench the taliban movement. This issue needs to be resolved at full fledged war footings---the taliban surrounded and leadership eradicated. No hostage takings---no laying down of arms accepted for taliban foot soldiers---no senior taliban leader taken alive.

America seriously wants to blame someone for their failings in afghanistan---there is none other than pak army that would bear the brunt of the storm. The ground has alreadfy been prepared very well to lay all the blame and responsibility for the failure in afghanistan on pak army and its generals. Now it is upto our own---how are they goin to act to get us out of this mess.

Looking at the past history and strategy---it doesnot look very good.

"The ground has alreadfy been prepared very well to lay all the blame and responsibility for the failure in afghanistan on pak army and its generals"

I'd like to know how you envision this Afghan failure, whom shall benefit from such, and when this is supposed to go down?

Otherwise...B.S.:agree:

There's been no suggestion that America will be leaving Afghanistan. I'm sorry, though, that you think we actually are blaming you as "fall guys".

That's silly. You're actually projecting your anti-Americanism into hope. That won't achieve your goals. We send forces and increase our presence from 6,000 miles.

The P.A. can't move 200 miles in the midst of it's own civil war but we're the one's needing a "fall guy"?

Laughable.:lol:

yes.

lack of decisiveness on part GoP is what shall do them in if they dont rectify their decision making policy. the spread of trouble into mainland pakistan at this stage can not be ruled out as FATA operations still seem an isolated case and not a paradigm shift in the national mindset on how to deal with such elements.

Hi,

America seriously wants to blame someone for their failings in afghanistan---there is none other than pak army that would bear the brunt of the storm. The ground has alreadfy been prepared very well to lay all the blame and responsibility for the failure in afghanistan on pak army and its generals.

Mastan

while I agree with your early parts of post the quoted part is doing it a bit too much.

US is on a learning curve. So far it had to contend with war fighting on symmetric scale and it is improving the same in asymmetric as time passes by. It is still too early to say whether US is winning or loosing. But one thing is sure, the decision of the same shall totally be at the behest of US leadership. If it gives up, it accepts defeat.

The parameters of insurgency demand a sustained level of troops to be maintained along with a certain tempo of military operations. US has taken to holding ground and dominating the areas, but they have to infuse more troops to ensure that the urban side of the battlefield is secured which means holding every town and village to stamp their writ on these areas.

The only way PA is going to be implicated, is in its inability to cut off the escape routes of talibs into FATA and other areas. If PA was to seal the border by massive deployments along the western border with Afghanistan, the Talibs will be forced to stay inside Afghanistan, making it easier for US to carry out specific operations against them. It shall also severely limit the mobility of the Talibs, an essential component in survival of an insurgent.

By not infusing enough troops, PA has allowed itself to be blamed as now base of operations by Talibs are more and more frequently located inside Pakistani territory which US army does not have the mandate to attack yet.

"By not infusing enough troops, PA has allowed itself to be blamed as now base of operations by Talibs are more and more frequently located inside Pakistani territory which US army does not have the mandate to attack yet. "

Sanctuary has been a military problem for Afghanistan since early 2006. It's been a bone of contention and sovereignty problem since late 2001 and the fall of the Afghan taliban gov't.

This isn't anything new. What's surprising here is Kiyani suggesting that ISAF operations in the badly-needed and long-planned for south must somehow be deferred or cancelled for fear that taliban forces will move into Baluchistan from Helmand and Kandahar to avoid combat.

These operations and the reinforcing forces have long been planned. Kiyani has been intimately apprised all the way. Finally, we can't be assured if the Pakistanis intend to assert themselves in these affected areas anytime soon.

This isn't anything new. What's surprising here is Kiyani suggesting that ISAF operations in the badly-needed and long-planned for south must somehow be deferred or cancelled for fear that taliban forces will move into Baluchistan from Helmand and Kandahar to avoid combat.

Stop lying please.

Where did Kiyani state that US operations should be deferred or canceled?

These operations and the reinforcing forces have long been planned. Kiyani has been intimately apprised all the way. Finally, we can't be assured if the Pakistanis intend to assert themselves in these affected areas anytime soon.

S-2

We again come back to what you had pointed out earlier, the lack of a decisive will on political and military front, both. I agree with you. If PA was to enforce security of the border along Waziristan-Baluchistan regions, am sure these issues could be addressed. Its the inherent lack of will to act against these out of some fear of effect of the same on troops morale (IMO) that has seen PA reacting rather than acting against these elements.

On its part, US has to tread very carefully as its very clear that troops will have to be pushed into south or US will be stuck for a long time in a war that may not necessarily have backing in coming years as the European Partners from ISAF are under tremendous public pressure to ease back from participating in what is increasingly being seen as US adventurism/war. I dont know why US is hesitating in deploying in the South. Let PA react to the fallout of the same (Talibs will rush into those territories either ways as they want to spread now).

The fear of unstable Pakistan should not hold US ransom to what has to be done to achieve the objectives it has set for itself in Afghanistan. Be rest assured, you shall not be the last one out of Afghanistan-Pakistan axis in case things go bad. And neither will you be left alone to face the consequences.

Mastan

while I agree with your early parts of post the quoted part is doing it a bit too much.

US is on a learning curve. So far it had to contend with war fighting on symmetric scale and it is improving the same in asymmetric as time passes by. It is still too early to say whether US is winning or loosing. But one thing is sure, the decision of the same shall totally be at the behest of US leadership. If it gives up, it accepts defeat.

The parameters of insurgency demand a sustained level of troops to be maintained along with a certain tempo of military operations. US has taken to holding ground and dominating the areas, but they have to infuse more troops to ensure that the urban side of the battlefield is secured which means holding every town and village to stamp their writ on these areas.

The only way PA is going to be implicated, is in its inability to cut off the escape routes of talibs into FATA and other areas. If PA was to seal the border by massive deployments along the western border with Afghanistan, the Talibs will be forced to stay inside Afghanistan, making it easier for US to carry out specific operations against them. It shall also severely limit the mobility of the Talibs, an essential component in survival of an insurgent.

By not infusing enough troops, PA has allowed itself to be blamed as now base of operations by Talibs are more and more frequently located inside Pakistani territory which US army does not have the mandate to attack yet.

I do not understand one thing regarding the sealing of the border...why has there been stiff opposition from Afghanistan when we talk about fencing and mining the many passages which are being used to roam between Pakistan and Afghanistan...seems to me that it suits Afghan government in keeping the smuggling and trade routes open and also giving Taliban an escape route into Pakistani territory, thus easing pressure on them...
Without such steps you cannot seal the border...additional forces will help but need to be coupled with fencing,mining etc. to seal these areas.

I know that Afghans need the goodies from Pakistan in their day to day lives but if you have such serious issues with the porous border then you have got to do away with all the fringe benefits that come with it...

I am sure Karzai is aware of it but still opposes such a proposal...perhaps he can be convinced with a little more persuasion by US...so what is holding everyone back till now?

Coming back to the entire operation...would it not have been better to deploy US forces at the borders and wait for Al Qaeda after the attack on Afghanistan?
US was after Al Qaeda...did US really do all in its capacity to destroy or capture Al Qaeda in a timely manner?
the target would have escaped when the attacks commenced and at least this much should have been anticipated and factored in the war plans...I will stop with this hindsight but i am not entirely convinced of what passed for stratagem at the onset of the conflict as far as eliminating the primary target was concerned...or maybe prolonging the conflict was planned...then it makes sense.

We all discuss sealing the border but it will take more than troops to seal the border...first Afghan government has to agree since Durand line is not a regular border and modus operandi has to be different...unless of course Pakistan risks the enmity of such a volatile neighbor despite having helped so much in the past...

Pak Afghan relationship has been one complex one and Afghanistan started off by not accepting Pakistan into U.N.
Such pure hatred which Afghanistan showed was changed in Afghan war but we Pakistani's cannot forget the negative role Afghanistan played in our troubled history...still we have our doubts about the sincerity of Karzai and his mostly anti Pakistan toadies who really like to pass the blame but do not amount to much themselves...why cannot the Afghans agree to sealing the border and commit their men to this task as well?

Pakistan army is more committed day by day...something which is unfolding slowly and will increase...Afghans on the other end are still not on board the border sealing strategy...they think they are not responsible for these things at all and its all US and Pak forces which need to man every front...that is not on

If border is sealed then who is to blame.....Well thats for sure it will be much more easy for PA to finish taliban uprising inside Pak. So, someone has prime interest to keep taliban live and kickin inside Pak territory ?..is their any other Laos is building...

And neither will you be left alone to face the consequences.

meaning send in the indian cavalry to save the day!

just so you know - pak talibs operate in pak and afghan talibs operate in afghanistan - and yes afghan talibs do find sanctuary along the border!

remember more than 70% of afghanistan is still not under the control of the puppet-regime in kabul!

WASHINGTON: The Obama administration wanted Congress to give wartime authorities to US military commanders dealing with Pakistan, US officials told a congressional panel.

operative word in the article - its not going to happen!

I'll retract my statement lest I be condemned as a liar.

Here are the exact comments by Conway at a press conference-

" Q Thanks. General, you ended on Pakistan, there, so let's stick with that. What's your assessment of Pakistani military's efforts to crack down on the militants? Do you feel they share the U.S. assessment that that's actually the primary threat to their country, rather than India? And do they have the capabilities they need to take them on?

GEN. CONWAY: Yeah, Andrew, I had -- there's a number of questions there. I'll try to hit them all.

I've had three occasions now to speak with General Kayani -- who is the chief of the Pakistan army and, therefore, sort of the equivalent to our CJCS -- who strikes me as a very thoughtful fellow and, I think, a very good military man.

In the first discussions, when I visited in -- over Christmas, Mumbai had happened recently. He took me to the map and said, "You know, I have quality forces on our western border" -- to him the western border is Afghanistan -- "and I intend to leave those quality forces there, because to move them to the Indian border at this point, with tensions rising, could cause escalation that I can't control, and I don't want to do that. I do not want to cause problems with India that can be avoided, and we're willing to accept risk elsewhere in order to be able to do that." So I thought that was -- that was pretty good thought.

This most recent occasion, he expressed concern that our forces going into the south could cause a refugee problem that Pakistan is ill-equipped to handle right now, based on their fiscal scenario, and the possibility that we could be forcing Taliban out of the south and onto supply lines that the Pakistani forces are currently trying to protect for us. So, once again, good thought. And we talked then about how they would further go about protection of those -- of those supply lines.

I cannot judge from my discussions with him at this point as to whether or not Pakistan's scenario as it -- as it exists right now vis-a-vis the Taliban and the al Qaeda is a matter of will or of capability. Maybe it's -- maybe it's portions of both, although I'm encouraged to see in recent days that I think they have -- the Taliban has crossed a red line and they have said to them through their actions in the field that enough is enough.

Now, how much that will continue remains to be seen. But I sense that General Kayani at least senses that the Taliban advances and, again, I think, the al Qaeda inspiration represents to Pakistan existential threat. And so how they deal with that is going to be, I think, very important and pretty educational for us all over the next few weeks.

Q Just to follow up briefly, you talked about a wide-open border there in the area where your Marines will be heavily involved. Have you any commitments from the Pakistanis to step up efforts to try and seal that border?

GEN. CONWAY: No. They have frontier forces down in the area of Baluchistan. That supply line at this point is, let's say, protected by economics. There is -- there's a good deal of involvement on the part of the tribes and the drivers and so forth, who all are making a good day's wage over ensuring that that supply line stays open. So it was General Kayani's hope, at least, that those things would provide a level of protection to our supply lines that his frontier forces would not be able to -- to conduct.

Q But in terms of infiltration possibly, from militants coming in to fight Marines and others?

GEN. CONWAY: I think it is again, as I described it, wide open. There is not sufficient border police, on either the Afghan or the Pakistani side, at this point, to have much impact on it. And it's not restricted to passes.

It's much more an extension of the red desert that is analogous to, say, what you might see between Iraq and Syria. There are a lot of crossing points. And forces or troops would just not be restricted.

Q So you're just going to have to live with that.

GEN. CONWAY: Well, I think, we're going to pay attention to it. When we get enough force in there, to be able to deal with it, I think that local commanders will make those determinations, in terms of how large the threat, and how much force is he able to put against it?

Okay.

Yes, ma'am.

Q General, Laura Jakes from Associated Press. I'm sorry for walking in late. Something you just said really piqued my interest. We've been briefed by ISAF commanders that there's going to be a larger concentration on the south, because that's where the Taliban is seen to move.

So based on what you just said, that the Pakistani army is concerned that the more we move south, our forces move south, the more we're pushing the Taliban onto the Pakistani side of that border, how do we square that circle with making sure we're not making the job harder for the Pakistanis but yet still trying to control and secure the south, as it sounds like the goal is?

GEN. CONWAY: Laura, I accept General Kayani's concerns as face value from his perspective. I would offer to you that not everybody believes that's where the Taliban will flush to.

There are others that think they may go different directions, based on what is now a potentially safe haven, based on the presence of coalition forces and that type of thing. Could be a combination of both. Nobody knows that for sure.

But in any event, we've got to do what we've got to do in the south. And there will be pond rings coming off of that that I think we're going to have to adjust to. But again not everybody is of the same mind as General Kayani, who might be citing a worst-case scenario to us."

Perhaps Gen. Kiyani can communicate his intentions for us. Conway speaks in detail and, accurately, Kiyani did not ask that our operations be deferred nor cancelled.

A.M., you're correct and I'm glad you are. Nobody has been a bigger proponent of America, Canada, and Britain getting after the opium and taking the fight to the enemy than you. The ICOS map shows the exact points of violence so we know it's disproportionate and, combined with the drug prevalence, is money best spent in the south for everybody concerned.

Thanks.

Hi,

I believe that till year 2005 there used to be joint troop movements on both sides of the border---something like a hammer and anvil kind.

Since 2005 the u s is walking a different rope---towing a different line. Something has changed---the priorities for the time being are not the same on both sides of the border.

This negative media campaign against the pak army has taken up a new twist. This media campaign is more focused towards the american and general public world wide----it is as if there is a hidden agenda and before the start of the blitzkreig, there has to be a softening of the public opinion towards american interests and hardening of public emotions towards pak army and pakistan. It all seems to be maneuvered in such a systametic manner, all the pieces being put together by a smooth operator in such a calm way, the noose hanging low that when the pak army walks into it---it won't even know when someone pulled the planks from underneath its feet.

I think that pak army still has a lots of time to turn the tables around. It only needs the courage, guts, ballz, whatsoever you call them to face the demon---taliban---pak army needs to strike hard---strike deep---and kill them in thousands---and kill their leadership as if there was no tomorrow. For one time---the world opinion is in favour of pak army attacking the taliban and acting ruthlessly against them.

Actually and truly---the world truly wants to see pak army in action---they had heard a lot of bragging by this army about what they can do---but till now---it is all fluff. The world stage is set for the viewing---the cast---pak army on one side---the taliban on the other side---and the viewers are rooting for the home team---the pak army---they want blood and guts---they want the heads rolled---they want to see some dead bodies---they want to see the talibans rooted from their perches and slaughtered as if there is no tomorrow. They want to see the pak army as the wrath of Allah falling upon the taliban and totally annihilating them.

Tragically---this war has turned into a game show on live wire. Incidently---the pak army will have to deliver the head of the enemy on a stake---otherwise---those in waiting will do that even if they have to run roughshod over pak army.

All-Green

I do not understand one thing regarding the sealing of the border...why has there been stiff opposition from Afghanistan when we talk about fencing and mining the many passages which are being used to roam between Pakistan and Afghanistan...

IMO I think the decision is Pakistan's alone to make. I have openly advocated Pakistan following an independent foreign policy keeping in mind its own requirements and refuse any further diktats from any other power. It alone can understand what needs to be done. If you want to fence it, go ahead. We did, didnt we? We never asked your permission for the same. It was in our security interest, and so is this in yours. You have to have the will to take necessary steps.

seems to me that it suits Afghan government in keeping the smuggling and trade routes open and also giving Taliban an escape route into Pakistani territory, thus easing pressure on them...

Obviously it eases pressure inside Afghanistan and makes Afghani Govt look good if they can reduce the lawlessness (howsoever temporary that might be). Its your decision, to fence or not, not theirs.

Without such steps you cannot seal the border...additional forces will help but need to be coupled with fencing,mining etc. to seal these areas.

Beg to differ here sir. If you have operated in hilly/mountainous terrain, you shall realise that the scope of finding routes is very limited. Its not easily traversed terrain. So its easier to enforce stricter vigil by increasing the number of BOPs/Pickets on strategically located features.

I know that Afghans need the goodies from Pakistan in their day to day lives but if you have such serious issues with the porous border then you have got to do away with all the fringe benefits that come with it...

The issues seem to be on PA side sir. They are fearful of influx of Talibs into the said territories.

I am sure Karzai is aware of it but still opposes such a proposal...perhaps he can be convinced with a little more persuasion by US...so what is holding everyone back till now?

And my contention is that you can enhance your security by fencing the border and manning it more thoroughly and regularly. Its your decision solely. Now if funding is the problem then thats a separate issue. If you expect funds from US for this also, thats being dependent on US far too much something that is counter to your stance in the first place itself.

Coming back to the entire operation...would it not have been better to deploy US forces at the borders and wait for Al Qaeda after the attack on Afghanistan?

No. The advances made had to be physically consolidate by deployment of personnel. US did not and still does not have sufficient troops to implement some strategy on the lines you have mentioned.

IMO it wasted resources at the wrong place at the wrong time - Iraq; a country which was no more than a nuisance now. Islamic nations and elites are wary of the groups in Afghanistan which promote fundamentalism and are trying to hijack the religion in a desire for absolute power over the muslim community across the globe as a whole. By attacking Iraq, US weakened its position as also of these elements of sanity who could no longer justify a policy of tolerance. In addition, these terror groups have coalesced in Iraq and united in the front of the ultimate enemy and are now projecting themselves as champions of islamic interest, at the same time distorting what those interest are actually. Had the resources used in Iraq been used instead in Afghanistan the outcome would have been much better-including for Pakistan in the long run.

US was after Al Qaeda...did US really do all in its capacity to destroy or capture Al Qaeda in a timely manner?

not at the time and now its too late.

We all discuss sealing the border but it will take more than troops to seal the border...first Afghan government has to agree since Durand line is not a regular border and modus operandi has to be different...unless of course Pakistan risks the enmity of such a volatile neighbor despite having helped so much in the past...

They can not fault you for taking necessary protective measures. Difference in perception of borders shall always exist. It exists between China and India even in Sikkim as the border is along a watershed ... which, am sure you can appreciate, is a variable geographic feature. So you cant really ascertain what the border is as landmarks are rarely static in mountains. Again I say PA has the strength to ensure peace there.

Pakistan army is more committed day by day...something which is unfolding slowly and will increase...Afghans on the other end are still not on board the border sealing strategy...they think they are not responsible for these things at all and its all US and Pak forces which need to man every front...that is not on

I agree. But in the end fact is you are responsible for your own security not US not Afghanistan.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom