What's new

PCB imposes bans, fines on players

PCB internal politics is responsible for the down fall of Pakistani cricket not the players.

Lets have equal quota for all 4 provinces and Azad Kashmir instead of favouring blue eyed by some vested interests

Quotas are never a good idea. It plagued Indian cricket for years.

Inzimam slams PCB decision. Abdul Qadir applauds it (the latter should have been banned several times on similar charges). Wasim Akram was in the Inquiry Committee that recommended bans/fines. Seriously? Wasi bhai ap ku 50 baar ban huna chayeh tha inhi charges pay. Ap buss dance karien Indian shows mayn.

why ?? why you happy with Younis ?? what he did???

Because of his non serious behavior and in-consistent Performance .

He Resigned then came back again then resigned from 20 20 and then tried to come back again.

Inzi slams life ban on Younis, Yousuf
Updated at: 1300 PST, Wednesday, March 10, 2010

KARACHI: Former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq strongly opposed the life ban slapped on Muhammed Yousuf and Younis Khan, recently announced by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Geo News reported Wednesday.

Talking to Geo News, he said, ‘I am absolutely against these decisions, as the people who made the decisions were the Board’s employees.’

Inzamam said no member of the Inquiery Committee was impartial except Wasim Akram, adding allthe members of six-strong body were employed by the PCB.

This very fact triggers reservations on the recommendations of the inquiry committee, he added informing that Wasim Akram did not attend the Body’s meeting.

He said the life ban on the two players is out and out unfair and unjustified.

Inzi slams life ban on Younis, Yousuf

Players can appeal against penalties
Updated at: 1240 PST, Wednesday, March 10, 2010

LAHORE: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official said the players who the Board has fined or banned, can appeal against these penalties, Geo News reported Wednesday.

Talking to Geo News, the PCB’s Media Manager Nadeem Sarwar said the Board has a formal mechanism of appeal against the punishments, which it announces, adding the affected players may approach the Board chairman for appeal.

Responding a query, he said Muhammed Yousuf and Younis Khan will not be entitled to lead Pakistan in any format of cricket including Twenty20, One-dayer and test cricket.

Players can appeal against penalties

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Cricket Board has barred former captains Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan from the national team indefinitely for behavior they say contributed to Pakistan's poor performance on its recent tour of Australia.

The PCB on Wednesday also imposed one-year bans on Shoaib Malik and Rana Naved after implementing the recommendations of an inquiry committee formed to evaluate Pakistan's dismal performance against Australia in December and January.

''Younis and Yousuf both cannot represent Pakistan in any international games, but they can play in domestic cricket and compete in county cricket,'' PCB legal adviser Taffazul Rizvi told the Associated Press.

Both Yousuf and Younis were involved in infighting while on tour, which resulted in bringing down the whole team, the PCB said in a statement.

''Their attitude has a trickle down effect which is a bad influence for the whole team,'' it said.

Malik and Naved were also fined Rs 2 million, wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal was handed a fine of Rs 3 million and Umar Akmal, younger brother of Kamran, was fined Rs 2 million.

Shahid Afridi was fined Rs 3 million for ball tampering during the one-day series against Australia.

Afridi and both Akmal brothers will be on a probation of six months during which their conduct will be strictly monitored, the PCB said in a statement.

The inquiry committee comprised PCB chief operating officer Wasim Bari, board member Wazir Ali Khoja, director of cricket operations Zakir Khan, team manager Yawar Saeed and Rizvi.

The players who were handed suspensions and fines appeared before the committee while other team officials - coach Intikhab Alam, assistant coach Aaqib Javed, the then manager Abdul Raqeeb, physiotherapist Faisal Hayat and analyst Mohammad Talha - were also interviewed.

''All the recommendations of the inquiry committee were unanimous,'' Rizvi said.

The committee also looked into manager and coaches reports of Pakistan's tour last year to the United Arab Emirates for a one-day series against New Zealand, its test series in New Zealand and the disastrous tour of Australia where the team was routed 3-0 in the test series and 5-0 in the one-day series.

The penalties were the largest handed out in almost 10 years, since Justice Qayyum's report on match-fixing in 2000 when Salim Malik and Ata-ur-Rehman were handed life bans and several players including Wasim Akram and now national coach Waqar Younis were fined.

Former Pakistan test captain Ramiz Raja said the national team needed certain direction on discipline, but felt barring players from international competition was extreme.

''Our main problem was discipline, but barring players, I am not sure, it doesn't look nice to just end the international careers of such talented players,'' Raja told The AP.

''I think the PCB should have fined both Yousuf and Younis like they did to the others and set an example for other players, but banning them is a bit harsh to me.''

Another former test captain Inzamam-ul-Haq questioned the formation of the committee and described the banning of Yousuf and Younis as the ''totally wrong decision.''

''The committee comprised employees of the PCB and there was no neutral person in it,'' Inzamam told Geo Television. ''You cannot ban someone from playing international cricket on just disciplinary grounds.''

Both Yousuf and Younis have led Pakistan in international cricket over the last 12 months.

Younis replaced Shoaib Malik early last year after Pakistan lost the one-day home series to Sri Lanka. Pakistan also went on to win the Twenty20 World Cup in England under Younis captaincy.

However, Younis left the captaincy soon after losing to New Zealand in the one-day series in the UAE due to poor batting form and allegedly said that players were not cooperating.

Yousuf was handed the captaincy for the tours of New Zealand and Australia, but Pakistan's decline continued as it lost all its matches against Australia after drawing the two-test series against New Zealand 1-1.

Rana and Malik were an integral part of Pakistan's Twenty20 team, but will now miss next month's Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies.

DAWN.COM | Cricket | Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan suspended indefinitely

Inzimam slams PCB decision. Abdul Qadir applauds it (the latter should have been banned several times on similar charges). Wasim Akram was in the Inquiry Committee that recommended bans/fines. Seriously? Wasi bhai ap ku 50 baar ban huna chayeh tha inhi charges pay. Ap buss dance karien Indian shows mayn.

Wasim didnot sit on inquiry

jusy his name was used

we should take serius our games.any one involved in making groups between team should life time ban.

i dont know what is a probleum with pcb im ok with the bans but the bans which given to yousuf and younis they dont deserved that only malik and rana should have given those type of bans becoz malik is more responsible than them and pcb imposing ban on yousuf and younis it is now clear that pakistan going to loose tests in future for sure who they play misbah and farhat in place of these two which i dont understand in future pakistan has to play alot of test cricket it is beyond my mind yousuf younis deserve the ban but not of this type for sure they have beeen fined heavyily but i dont know who is making stupis decision who ever has made this he is enemy of pakistan and i hope nation should stand for yousuf and younis for malik and rana i agreeee with the ban

imran bhai yousuf aur younis na ban nahe banaya tha malik ka kam tha sub phir yeh punishment yousuf aur younis pa ziyada kyon

The immediate point that comes to mind is, who gave the PCB the keys to this asylum? The merits and demerits of what is effectively the biggest purge of the Pakistan cricket team in years we will come to shortly but, in effect, the PCB has cleaned up an asylum in which its members are as much inmates as the players.

The basic question that arises, after all, is if the team is racked with unrest, indiscipline and factionalism and is performing so poorly, is it operating within a vacuum? It is not. It is selected by men and run by men, men of the board. If the team is rotten, then are the people who are in charge of running it not the same? The players have been singled out, but the managers, selectors and board officials who run the show have sidestepped the mess nicely.

If you can get beyond that, then there is no questioning that this is the most significant action the PCB has taken in many years against players. In one fell swoop, it has banned three men who captained the side last year. Of them, two have been handed open-ended bans, to be revised at the board's discretion. Another captain has been put on probation for six months and fined, as has the vice-captain of the last tour. Reputations and seniority have not been spared. The Qayyum report was similar, implicating big names, but that was for a graver offence and was shaped globally; on matters such as indiscipline, the actions are unparalleled.

A number of things have fuelled the severity of the punishment. Pressure on the board to do something, anything, has been intense, more so because of its general ineptness and failures elsewhere. It had to be seen to be doing something, and a man can only take so many grillings from parliamentarians.

But such dirt has built up over the last year. Shoaib Malik was removed. Under his replacement Younis Khan, players were forever conspiring. Mohammad Yousuf became captain only to ultimately engage in an open and stupid battle with Malik. The sins of Kamran Akmal and Shahid Afridi were public ones.

Additionally, results have been pathetic. Players' popularity is probably at its lowest in some time, which undoubtedly helped the board in its decision. So steadily, over the years, such a picture of unrest and unruliness, factionalism and unchecked player power has emerged, and such a mood of discontent created, that all dirt had to be swept away. The official board line, that it wants to set an example for future generations, almost doesn't matter. The reaction is mixed: some voices say it had to happen, some say it's too much, as clear an indication as any that there are no heroes here. In fact there are mostly villains.

Trouble lies in the days ahead. Because the punishments are so severe, the reasons behind them must be made clear. The board is not willing to go public with the report, but that will be grave folly. If the PCB is not seen to be transparent in the way it has handled this, its actions have no benefit whatsoever.

Questions will be rightly asked as to the precise factors that led, in particular, to the banning of Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Malik for a year and of Younis and Yousuf for an indefinite period. That kind of punishment is prompted only by the most serious transgressions and if the board doesn't come totally clean on what led to it, rumour-mongering and gossip over coming days of the worst kind can be expected. That, Pakistan cricket can do without. Already there is confusion; the bans on Yousuf and Younis, the board had to clarify, are open-ended and they can be picked again depending on the board's mood.

Talk of legal action is inevitable; such are the happy days with an empowered judiciary and legal fraternity. In any case it has not been uncommon over the last two years for Pakistani players to take the board to court and it cannot be ruled out here. It will be a waste of time, for even if a court overturns the ban, it cannot force the board to select players.

Nothing is permanent in Pakistan. It is worthwhile to bear in mind the summer of 1976, when a similar battle erupted between board and senior players. It was a petty pay dispute, but it soon flowered into an almighty ménage a trois of ego clashes between the country's prime minister, Zulfiqar Bhutto, a close aide and minister Abdul Hafiz Pirzada and the board chairman AH Kardar.

Kardar sacked six big names, including Imran Khan, before a major tour to Australia. Within days, however, Pirzada - with Bhutto's tacit consent - had taken temporary control of the board, reinstated the players and Kardar fell in a matter of months. Old folks say that marked the beginning of unchecked player power in Pakistan cricket, the rise of the superstar. Some might see 2010 as the end of it.

There are only whiffs in today of what happened 34 years ago - for one, the players then had tremendous public support - but with an administration as bereft of goodwill, public trust and support as this one, nobody will bet against a similar endgame.

Text size: A | A
"I am not to happy with the bans -that is a little too over the top" © AFP

Pakistan cricket needed a certain direction. The problem with Pakistan cricket has been indiscipline and the PCB finally decided enough was enough and they have made the call. Fining players is fine, it is always done in cricket but banning players for misdemeanour and indiscipline is a little shocking. I don't know how the fans will react; I don't know how the PCB will react after the fans put them under pressure but they have taken a call.

Everyone felt that indiscipline and infighting bogged Pakistan down during the Australian tour and they lost their focus on the game. I am quite satisfied with the fines but I am not to happy with the bans. That is a little too over the top. As far as the PCB is concerned their real job is to stand by the decision because we have seen them wilt at time under pressure and pressure will certainly be created from different quarters: the fans, the critics and the government, since politics is now very much involved with cricket. It remains to be seen whether they can sustain this.

[But] I think Pakistan cricket will be severely jolted at the Test level because Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan were the heartbeat of the Test team. Pakistan have got some serious series' to follow: they play Australia and England in England and then South Africa so it is obviously impossible to replace the talent of these two cricketers overnight. Talent-wise, Pakistan will be tested because I don't see any young, good upcoming batsmen to replace the likes of Yousuf and Younis.

It also means that the PCB will announce a new captain. Some are fighting for Shahid Afridi's cause and some are looking at Abdul Razzaq because I think he is tailor-made for Twenty20 cricket. He has proven himself over a period of time and we have seen that he brings energy and enthusiasm to the dressing room. So I hope Afridi is made the captain. He has paid the price for ball-tampering - he has been heavily criticised and heavily fined. But it remains to be seen whether he concentrate on the job and deliver for Pakistan because he has been under lot of stress and pressure of late

agreeed with ramiz that pcb also wants pakistan too loose upcoming tests thats why they banned pillers of pakitan test team and we also know what yousuf and younis did in last english tour i hope hole nation should stand against ejaz butt and his managemnt for yousuf and younis not for malik or rana

Lets have equal quota for all 4 provinces and Azad Kashmir instead of favouring blue eyed by some vested interests

I think its a big shame at our part that we are still following qouta system in our country by not making equal opertunities available to all Pakistanis to develop and grow their skills. If could not abolish it at least we should have reduced it to a great extent. :flame:
Please don't suggest qouta in game. :cheers:
PCB must remember this thing that we should punish players for lesser disciplinary issues instead of ignoring their smaller misdoings and then punish them heavily. Some PCB administration heads must be rolled.

:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom