What's new

‘Pakistanis run 300,000 businesses in UK’

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani diaspora in the United Kingdom contributes £30 billion per annum to the country’s gross domestic product, said Andy Street, an officially nominated candidate for the mayor of Birmingham.

Mr Street said as many as 300,000 businesses are owned by the Pakistani diaspora in the UK. He said this while speaking at a reception organised by the Conservative Friends of Pakistan.

A businessman-turned-politician, Mr Street has been officially nominated for the first-ever election of the mayor of Birmingham. Mr Street said his visit to Pakistan is the first of many.

He said he will ensure that business opportunities between Pakistan and West Midlands are created. Mr Street said he is aware of the fact that the Pakistani diaspora has high disposable incomes. He said Pakistani products, like textiles and food items, have high demand in the UK.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
Published in Dawn, March 9th, 2017

@LA se Karachi

Hope that they come to Pakistan.I know that they will find it difficult to start here but they are Pakistanis

I am not sure about 300k businesses but there is no doubt about Pakistanis owning significant number of corner shops almost everywhere in UK.

Few years ago, most of the newspaper agents were Indians but now you see visible number of shopkeeper from Pakistani background. Indian on the other hand switched to more profitable businesses of building material and household equipments

Hope that they come to Pakistan.I know that they will find it difficult to start here but they are Pakistanis

I would, but I don't want to pay a penny to any rishwat khor. So it's not really possible to set up a medium-sized business or industry without it. Guess I'll wait until we have a more honest system in place in Pakistan.

I am here but I won't do business here as too much underhand dealings. Most but not all Pakistanis in the UK are pretty straight and won't deal in haram

So they are contributing more than £30 billions in business and most probably sucking more than £60 billions in benefits.

Out of 300k most probably 60% is take aways, might be up to 20% taxis, could be up to 10% solicitors rest of the 10% I would say owns massive business power houses like whole sale cash and Carries.

What a joke.

So they are contributing more than £30 billions in business and most probably sucking more than £60 billions in benefits.

Out of 300k most probably 60% is take aways, might be up to 20% taxis, could be up to 10% solicitors rest of the 10% I would say owns massive business power houses like whole sale cash and Carries.

What a joke.
That's very condescending. I owned a medical company and prior to that I was an aerospace engineer working for BAE and Ricardo aerospace. Pakistanis in the UK are industrious and hard-working. Yes many own takeaways but you think all are on benefits......I wouldn't know how to get benefits. Yes there are some rogues but arnt the whites also rogues

If they send even some money back to Pakistan each think how the country can benefit.

What a joke.

Poor attempt at trying to malign British Pakistanis.

A few things, certain "benefits" have such a high marker that people who would be comfortably off would still get them. For example, Child benefits are given for each child and people who are earning up to £50k can still claim them. I am not sure if you are in the U.K but for good or for bad, Britain is a welfare state that offers a range of "benefits" to its' citizens. There is nothing wrong with taking a share from them if you are legitimately entitled to them.

Also, "take-aways" or small business are the back bone of any functioning economy, it is also used to judge a health of an economy as small businesses are interlinked more closely with the local economy. So I am not sure if you are somehow trying to malign take-aways, if yes, a very poor attempt.

The rest of that paragraph is not worthy of being responded to, you seem to have an issue with small businesses whether they are small limited companies or sole traders. Both of which have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. So please tell me how you mentioning them above have any relevance to your claim above that Britistanis are claiming £60 billion from the welfare budget.

The whole welfare budget for the year 2014/15 was £258 billion, so that throws your whole claim of £60 billion being claimed by Pakistanis alone in the bin. Below are the figures for the breakdown of the welfare budget:

Pensions £108bn 42%

Incapacity, disability & injury benefits £41bn 16%

Unemployment benefits £3bn 1%

Housing benefits £27bn 10%

Family benefits, income support & tax credits £44bn 17%

Personal social services and other benefits £34bn 13%

Source: http://visual.ons.gov.uk/welfare-spending/

Now please present your source for British Pakistanis alone claiming £60 billion from the welfare budget, with a breakdown of how much they are taking from each category listed above.

That's very condescending. I owned a medical company and prior to that I was an aerospace engineer working for BAE and Ricardo aerospace. Pakistanis in the UK are industrious and hard-working. Yes many own takeaways but you think all are on benefits......I wouldn't know how to get benefits. Yes there are some rogues but arnt the whites also rogues

There are good and bad people everywhere, there will always be people who exploit loop-holes and bureaucratic failures, but the above posters' very bold claim that British Pakistanis are taking twice as much as they are putting in from businesses is nothing more than a poor attempt to malign us.

express.co.ukMigrants-milking-benefits-system-Foreigners-more-likely-to-claim-handouts/amp

Well as per this report Pakistanis are some of the highest receivers of dole in uk.

Poor attempt at trying to malign British Pakistanis.

A few things, certain "benefits" have such a high marker that people who would be comfortably off would still get them. For example, Child benefits are given for each child and people who are earning up to £50k can still claim them. I am not sure if you are in the U.K but for good or for bad, Britain is a welfare state that offers a range of "benefits" to its' citizens. There is nothing wrong with taking a share from them if you are legitimately entitled to them.

Also, "take-aways" or small business are the back bone of any functioning economy, it is also used to judge a health of an economy as small businesses are interlinked more closely with the local economy. So I am not sure if you are somehow trying to malign take-aways, if yes, a very poor attempt.

The rest of that paragraph is not worthy of being responded to, you seem to have an issue with small businesses whether they are small limited companies or sole traders. Both of which have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. So please tell me how you mentioning them above have any relevance to your claim above that Britistanis are claiming £60 billion from the welfare budget.

The whole welfare budget for the year 2014/15 was £258 billion, so that throws your whole claim of £60 billion being claimed by Pakistanis alone in the bin. Below are the figures for the breakdown of the welfare budget:

Pensions £108bn 42%

Incapacity, disability & injury benefits £41bn 16%

Unemployment benefits £3bn 1%

Housing benefits £27bn 10%

Family benefits, income support & tax credits £44bn 17%

Personal social services and other benefits £34bn 13%

Source: http://visual.ons.gov.uk/welfare-spending/

Now please present your source for British Pakistanis alone claiming £60 billion from the welfare budget, with a breakdown of how much they are taking from each category listed above.

There are good and bad people everywhere, there will always be people who exploit loop-holes and bureaucratic failures, but the above posters' very bold claim that British Pakistanis are taking twice as much as they are putting in from businesses is nothing more than a poor attempt to malign us.
I live in Britain and I can see what's happening around me, most of us are habitual benefits eater and they can go to any level unfortunately. Anyways I don't need to prove anything to anyone

I live in Britain and I can see what's happening around me, most of us are habitual benefits eater and they can go to any level unfortunately. Anyways I don't need to prove anything to anyone
You probably live in area where everybody is claiming benefit. I know its a lot of money people claims in benefit but it is only fraction of amount the entire community pays in return. It is true for every community including every South Asian country, Polish and Romanians.

I do not know many Pakistanis claiming for benefits... but in your support I would say that 10% people do claim benefits and out of this 10% over 90% are aged 50 and over. The bottom line is it is impossible that each Pakistani individual is claiming 40,000 pounds per year in benefits or lets say 200,000 pounds per year for family of 5 so your figure is not realistic.

The biggest bluff I would make to enlarge the true figure to maximum of 1 billion pound for entire Pakistani community but even that is far exaggerated since my calculation suggests that if 10% claims benefit out of 1.5 million population, each household consists of 5 people then its 30,000 families and even if they are lucky to get £10,000 per household they still claim 300 million pounds in benefit.

In return, the community pays back much more than 30 billion pounds as many businesses are never accounted for. Most self employed workers are never asked about their background so the figure is truly above 30 billion pound in my opinion

So there is 1 business for every 3 of us ? I dont know about the North of England but in the South East most Pakistanis are relatively average or well off although immigrant families are poorer. From what I know I would say that Pakistanis from up north (which make the majority) are less well off due to the collapse of industries that brought them there.

pakistanis are more stable in gulf.
one example.
in oman 95% of jewelery business is captured by pakistanis and same percentage in transportation

Back
Top Bottom