What's new

Pakistani officials furious over ‘Homeland’

What if their intent is quite the opposite? Why would they want to visit your country when they have already made their mind to malign it in the first place? Isn't that the purpose of this entire episode? Pakistan being a deceitful country which is hand and glove with terrorists. Its streets filled with sand and dust. Good luck trying though.
The streets being filled with sand and dust fits with their narrative of Pakistan being a hellhole (factor in the largely ignorant audience who need to be fed watered down sweeping generalisations). This is unfortunate indeed and I can understand why many Pakistanis are offended.

However, the collusion between the ISI and terror groups is undeniable and in all honesty if there wasn't tangible evidence for this Homeland would never have focussed on Pakistan. It is because of the terror group-state collusion that goes on in Pakistan that has brought about this plot line in the show.

The demonization of Pakistan is not an accidental result; it is part of a concerted and deliberate campaign.

To what end?

Irrelevant.
Your claim is that the actions of a few extremists define the entire race.

I can come up with any number of other examples -- from terrorism to atomic warfare -- where the perpetrators of mass murder are celebrated by their peoples or countries.

The fact remains that perception is 90% of reality, and Hollywood is an idea tool for propaganda.

And your claim is that if someone else does something wrong, it justifies another wrong thing.

You seem to be in the same old era where you fantasize about arabs being heroic muslims. I don't blame you. A lot of Pakistani's suffer from that delusion.

You just have to look at the facts. Where is all terrorism coming from? Where did it come from in Pak? Why is there so much violence in middle east? But I doubt it will make any difference to a fanboy like you.

Irrelevant.
Your claim is that the actions of a few extremists define the entire race.

I can come up with any number of other examples -- from terrorism to atomic warfare -- where the perpetrators of mass murder are celebrated by their peoples or countries.

The fact remains that perception is 90% of reality, and Hollywood is an idea tool for propaganda.

The people in denial are afraid to admit the truth. They are acting like ostriches by burying their heads in the sand. I'm quite aggrieved to say this, but Pakistan didn't get at this juncture for nothing. As a nation we have a habit of overlooking the obvious. Let's just pretend that everything is fine. Let's not even condemn the obvious wrong. Where have some of us come to? Let's just hide these hideous lies under the garb of fiction and entertainment. Well, I won't for one.

The streets being filled with sand and dust fits with their narrative of Pakistan being a hellhole (factor in the largely ignorant audience who need to be fed watered down sweeping generalisations). This is unfortunate indeed and I can understand why many Pakistanis are offended.

However, the collusion between the ISI and terror groups is undeniable and in all honesty if there wasn't tangible evidence for this Homeland would never have focussed on Pakistan. It is because of the terror group-state collusion that goes on in Pakistan that has brought about this plot line in the show.

To be honest, Pakistan is a touch dusty indeed. Have you watched Spies Like Us ? :D

Spies Like Us (1985) - IMDb

And your claim is that if someone else does something wrong, it justifies another wrong thing.

You seem to be in the same old era where you fantasize about arabs being heroic muslims. I don't blame you. A lot of Pakistani's suffer from that delusion.

You just have to look at the facts. Where is all terrorism coming from? Where did it come from in Pak? Why is there so much violence in middle east? But I doubt it will make any difference to a fanboy like you.

You seem to have difficulty reading English and comprehending simple logic.

I am opposing racial vilification since the actions of a minority do not justify demonization of an entire race.

This is not a 'fanboy' attitude; this is the attitude of normal people.

Something a bigot like you can never understand.

What on earth has all of this to do with the topic at hand? We already know that terrorism exists in Pakistan. We also know the root cause. Some of it is our own doing and some of it is sponsored from abroad.

How can all of this justify the lies and distortions projected in the episode? We need to call a spade a spade. The episode is offensive. It doesn't do justice to the sacrifices made by Pakistan.

The people in denial are afraid to admit the truth. They are acting like ostriches by burying their heads in the sand. I'm quite aggrieved to say this, but Pakistan didn't get at this juncture for nothing. As a nation we have a habit of overlooking the obvious. Let's just pretend that everything is fine. Let's not even condemn the obvious wrong. Where have some of us come to? Let's just hide these hideous lies under the garb of fiction and entertainment. Well, I won't for one.

Noam Chomsky wrote about Manufacturing Consent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's amusing that people still fail to see whats going on.

Here's a thought:

Instead of endless kvetching as to how Homeland gets it all wrong for Pakistan, why not help them get it right by doing something tangible? Invite the scriptwriters and the cast over and show them the country. Put on a show. Provide them with film-making facilities. Participate in the editing. Spend money where it will do some good.

That is how you play the game.
Yes that's the way to do it...invite the Americans for chai and biskoot and all will be well...but wait...hold on a minute, we already did that so many times...we are in this mess at least in part because of us allowing the US free reign in our country. Kill the director and a couple of actors and see how accurate the next show will depict Pakistan. :sniper::guns::pakistan:

As I mentioned earlier, there is a sharp misalignment between Pakistani and American geopolitical goals in the region.

It touches on many aspects, including Indian ascendency, China, American dominance, etc etc.
I don't think there is anything as sinister as that behind such depictions. It is simply about finding a convenient nation that fits with their intended storyline. When Hollywood wants to have a storyline about cyber warfare they often turn to China, when they want one about rogue nuclear weapons they will turn to Eastern Europe/former USSR, when they want civil war/genocide they turn to Sub-saharan Africa etc etc. In the 1990s the East Germans were often depicted as the "bad guys", now it is often generic terrorists from the Mid East and this often includes Pakistan rightly or wrongly.

Pakistan's notorious state-terrorism collusion fits with the intended storyline of the creators of Homeland.

it is the way viewers see it.
if you ask an average person in west about asian countries, there views may be
India- Tajmahal , sacred cows , women wearing red dot at forehead doing belly dancing
Pakistan- dates, camels, long bearded men wearing suicide vsts, burqa wearing
women
Bangladesh- country submerged in water , poor people hangin on trees waiting to be rescued in flood,
ne
Srilanka - what is that?? country.. you fool. oh sorry where is that? never heard of it.m

homeland__season_4__103094995-e1419655969110.jpg

Main terrorist look like taliban but extras do not fit as taliban. Extras look like from Filipinos or some other country.

Back
Top Bottom